Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Baronjutter posted:

Disable zone check, plus move it, plus building eyedropper tool really lets you take poo poo up to the next level. It lets you have growable buildings basically wherever so you can make some really cool shaped blocks. Want all your buildings set a tile back from the road to simulate really wide sidewalks? Go for it!

Move it is like my go to argument for why modding should be encouraged. Prop Anarchy is vital for me as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BigglesSWE posted:

Move it is like my go to argument for why modding should be encouraged. Prop Anarchy is vital for me as well.

I really wish they'd integrate them all into the base game though with a better interface. When you need like 5 mods to pull of the bridge or path you want to build it gets a bit ridiculous. Constantly hitting the sharp angles hot keys, overlapping interfaces making a mess of unreadable text in the corner of the screen, it feels... janky. Super-detailing is a huge draw in skylines now, so many youtubers doing it. But of course if you can X-anarchy this and that that feels like "cheating" to people who play this as if it was a game with hard rules. But I think CO could make some sort of "sandbox mode" that would unlock all those tools. Then again I don't trust CO to actually implement all those mods in a way that's as good let alone better than the current functionality you get by piling 5+ prop/road/angle anarchy pillar selecting road loving mods.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I think their attitude of "do whatever the hell you want" towards the modders more than makes up for the sometimes clunky UI.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I really wish they'd integrate them all into the base game though with a better interface. When you need like 5 mods to pull of the bridge or path you want to build it gets a bit ridiculous. Constantly hitting the sharp angles hot keys, overlapping interfaces making a mess of unreadable text in the corner of the screen, it feels... janky. Super-detailing is a huge draw in skylines now, so many youtubers doing it. But of course if you can X-anarchy this and that that feels like "cheating" to people who play this as if it was a game with hard rules. But I think CO could make some sort of "sandbox mode" that would unlock all those tools. Then again I don't trust CO to actually implement all those mods in a way that's as good let alone better than the current functionality you get by piling 5+ prop/road/angle anarchy pillar selecting road loving mods.

Someone actually asked CO about this in their AMA their other day, and if they were going to make a detailing oriented DLC. The answer was basically no, but they'd look into some sort of official support. So, uh I don't expect a whole lot in that front.

Which reminds me, people have been releasing terrain conforming farm field decals and props, and I haven't seen anyone slap them onto growables yet, so I'm going to try doing that at some point. It seems like nobody on the workshop has seen an American farm before and it's kind of bothering me.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Alright, time to fire this thing up and try all the new poo poo ... oh I have to unfuck my mods first. Bloody hell.

EDIT: Actually I think I'll unsubscribe everything (including assets) and go back and add as needed.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 21, 2017

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
As far as gameplay, I think road safety should still be a small emergency. It creates a car crash based on "danger" value of intersection, and requires one fire engine, one ambulance, and one squad car to fix.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cool, spent 3 hours making a map, 2 hours making a big rail cargo port, then just "wasn't feeling" the map and quit :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok, people are saying the new in-game guides replace precision engineering but I can't see how long my roads are. I want to do something like make a simple 90 degree curve and normally I'd just draw the first part of the curve 9 units or 5 units or what ever, then make sure the 2nd part of the curve is the same. Skylines new guides look nice but either I'm missing something but it doesn't tell me how long what I'm drawing is, which is absolutely essential for getting things right. The new snapping system is tripping me up bad too while not seeming useful at all. Am I just not used to it or is precision engineering still way superior?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

zedprime posted:

Something like that is subject to serious oscillations without coefficients with some ridiculous precision found after a shitload of balancing. Those coefficients themselves might also need to be a function of the state of the city which starts approaching a problem that is hard to tackle algorithmically, but that could turn into a gameplay feature where you tweak the advertising or whatever to push people to one or the other. It would be awesome and amazing and probably multiple man years of work which is a large ask for a studio of like a dozen people. Different modes makes it a little easier than dynamic routing and there's already a probablistic portion of agent decision making to prefer different modes already because that fuzz is necessary for the bare minimum of cims not all flocking to the single fastest route, which turns to the slowest because its over capacity.

Simple idea, complex implementation, but it would totally be the secret sauce that would be fundamental in making Skylines a better game instead of just putting more and more frosting on a staling cake.

Transit at the moment exists entirely to trap cims forever in station purgatory to keep them off the road in deference of the taxable trucks. I won't argue its time for a new, better game with better mechanics though, its just rebalancing from the ground up. Which it really needs.

A fairly simple way to deal with this is to apply a smoothing function to the preference inputs, which prevents hard spikes caused by negative feedback oscillation of demand and congestion and lets things converge to the optimal faster since it'll have more time to change direction as the system approaches maximum capacity.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Monorails are cool but I keep singing the monorail song from the Simpsons and now everyone thinks I am crazy. :ohdear:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Any time I try to build any sort of transit line I get
"Method not found: 'TransportLine.CalculatePathSegmentCount'. [System.MissingMethodException]
Details:
No details"

Any idea which mod is doing it?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I can finally build an accurate Melbourne simulator!

No hook turns, 2/10.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

"Method not found: 'TransportLine.CalculatePathSegmentCount'. [System.MissingMethodException]
Details:
No details"

Probably IPT or a line color mod?

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 21, 2017

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Details:
No details"

could be IPT, the new version talks about this error: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=928128676

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Figured it out, for some people the old IPT wasn't deleting fully and some nice guy in the comments found the exact old IPT folder address so we could manually delete it (thanks steam for obfuscating every game and mod with a huge serial number)

Working on some cute little island town. I really like doing island towns because I really hate dealing with highways and can never make them look pretty and natural.

Had fun detailing the little port and tram loop. It's an odd mixed area of hotels and warehouses.

Also I'd like to try to tweak the lighting in Skylines. I always found it too contrasting. I have a "softer shadows" LUT but what I'd really like is to make it so north facing building faces aren't super dark, make the directional lighting just a little more even. Like I think in the world of 3d lighting there's ambient and directional and I'd like to increase the overall ambient lighting. I only like how my city looks when the sun is shining on the buildings, when it isn't everything looks washed out and way too dark. Can you fiddle with this?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 21, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think my theme and map are turning out pretty nicely. The map is designed around getting a lot of use out of ferries and cable cars. Lots of bluffs and straits between the islands.

Baronjutter posted:

Also I'd like to try to tweak the lighting in Skylines. I always found it too contrasting. I have a "softer shadows" LUT but what I'd really like is to make it so north facing building faces aren't super dark, make the directional lighting just a little more even. Like I think in the world of 3d lighting there's ambient and directional and I'd like to increase the overall ambient lighting. I only like how my city looks when the sun is shining on the buildings, when it isn't everything looks washed out and way too dark. Can you fiddle with this?

Yeah, you can do this with Ultimate Eyecandy and Shadow Strength Adjuster.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How have I never heard of those mods?!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

turn off the TV posted:

I made this post on the C:S subreddit, but I figure that people here would like it too. Here's a list of a bunch of growable collections/asset creators broken up into themes.

You're doing some godly work here my goon. Thank you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I guess hand placing every single building and carefully moving and rotating them is my life now?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So much hand-ploppin, but I think it's worth it for these twisting hilly streets.

Early morning in old town

Sometimes it's hard to fill in weird shapes, but as long as you don't look super close a bunch of slightly overlapping buildings works fine.

Getting them to follow a curve can be tricky too.

Subtle changes in elevation and direction can add so much more interest that a grid on flat.

Part of old town was lost when the bridges were built, so some office buildings of the era went up around it.

Jumping on that grass tram bandwagon.

Local church and neighbourhood square.

Grand view to city hall

Look back at the port and some old tenement areas.

Multi-use bridge

This neighbourhood's basically what I've been working on all night

Oh and a refinery and industrial area across the water

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Is that bridge part of the new pack?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Is there a simpler way to download assets in bulk? I hate clicking on everything in Steam Workshop

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Baronjutter posted:

Figured it out, for some people the old IPT wasn't deleting fully and some nice guy in the comments found the exact old IPT folder address so we could manually delete it (thanks steam for obfuscating every game and mod with a huge serial number)

Working on some cute little island town. I really like doing island towns because I really hate dealing with highways and can never make them look pretty and natural.

Had fun detailing the little port and tram loop. It's an odd mixed area of hotels and warehouses.

How do you paint areas like that? I remember there being a surface painter mod but I couldn't get it working.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Baronjutter posted:

If they added a touch more detail to how cims choose transit then suddenly the game would become a "transit sim" instead of a "highway overpass building sim" which is NOT what this game is about!!!!! Also they might lose win98 support if they toss a couple extra calculations onto transit choice calculations.

Never mind, we absolutely cannot lose Windows 98 support.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Burns posted:

Is there a simpler way to download assets in bulk? I hate clicking on everything in Steam Workshop

There are collections, which have subscribe to all buttons.

Dred_furst posted:

How do you paint areas like that? I remember there being a surface painter mod but I couldn't get it working.

It's probably with surface painter.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
before the update this is how far i made it with my us city

think i may end up redoing the map a bit with the new motorways and start again, though i would seek to recreate that bit as i like it (abeit with more parking and less green around the big skyscrapers

i originally wanted to do a pre motorway american city, then ruin it by ploughing some through. might end up doing that again with the new 2 lane local motorway as the connections to the edge of the map

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Surface painter is ok but the hosed up edges of the brush when it comes into contact with a road or path is almost a deal-breaker. I'll use surface painter when it works, but for smaller detailed areas I just anarchy plop in some of those big brush concrete tile plop things. The metro bridge is just a metro track bridge with a ped and bike lane on either side. I so wish we had a proper combo ped/bike path. I know bikes can use ped paths but they do so at the reduced speed as if they were on a sidewalk.

/\ Woah that's looking good. I sometimes wish I could do a north american city but all my assets are european. I wish I could like... save all my mod settings as some sort of super-setting, then collect a ton of north american assets and save those as another and switch the game between them.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've been having another go at a pseudo-oldish city.

Overall view of the city in-progress, main industrial hub not in the shot.

A street in the city proper during the day.

Suburban comfort, only a stone's throw from downtown.

I listened to Batman music while trying to make this city.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
OK, now I'm back in the hole, what's the state of the art in terms of mods that unfuck traffic flow? Are we waiting for something to update for 1.7.whatever?

In the meantime I'm having fun playing the scenarios :confused:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
So for my entire life I've considered Sim City 4 to be the ultimate city simulator. I really liked how the region system worked, where you have multiple towns/districts/whatever. I liked how the growth of the city was organic - for example, commercial buildings became taller, bigger, and more expensive in the right areas. I liked how the transportation was simulated, even though it was flawed and has to be fixed by NAM. I saw on Steam that this game got another DLC, and I wanted to know if the game is worth giving a shot in my case. It sounds very good, but one thing that has kept me from buying it is, as far as I know, once you build your one city in Cities, that's it - you can't go to another region and start a new one connected to it.

Is it still worth giving the game a go, or will I end up disappointed?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
If you like city builders then you ought to give Cities a try. It's definitely got its problems but it's still pretty nice overall and it has a vibrant modding effort that can help smooth out some issues. If nothing else I have quite a bit of admiration for C:S because it's an earnest and mostly successful attempt at a genre that it seems the rest of the industry had been doing their best to kill off.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Node posted:

Is it still worth giving the game a go, or will I end up disappointed?

It's fun to play C:S as a game when you first start out, but after building a few cities it becomes very clear that it's essentially a traffic simulator without a lot of depth to it, and once you've figured out the basics of traffic management the only other major thing you can do is download a lot of mods that give you tools like prop placement and ground texture painting and play it to make pretty looking cities. For the sale prices you can pick it up for though, it's definitely worth it. It doesn't have the staying power of a lot of games but getting to grips with the systems and the traffic stuff is a lot of fun at the beginning.

The verisimilitude has really broken down for me at this point though, sometimes I get the urge to build a new city and I'll redownload the game and then immediately realise that it's just a pretty car-herding simulator and uninstall it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alternatively you can download mods to make traffic management more difficult and just treat the game as much of a traffic oriented city simulator as possible. It makes the game pretty good as a city builder with pseudo puzzle elements, but still not really as interesting as Sim City.

Really, though, though, give gameplay mods a shot. Run Traffic Manager: President Edition with the traffic and parking simulation turned on, reckless driving turned up, and despawning disabled. Run Realistic Population and Consumption alongside Citizen Lifecyle Rebalance to rebalance population densities and travel preferences. Use Rush Hour at a low timescale to drastically increase the amount of people hitting your transit network and the same time. Slope Limits is great alongside maps with rougher terrain, as it prevents you from being able to design everything in the optimal way. Transport Line Manager is a good tool for providing a lot of granularity in controlling your public transport down to three hour intervals, which is good alongside Rush Hour

All of these mods running in concert with one another make it really hard to design road networks that can support your traffic demands, but in a really fair way. They and the map editor have been what's kept me going for 1000~ in game hours.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Deadly Hume posted:

OK, now I'm back in the hole, what's the state of the art in terms of mods that unfuck traffic flow? Are we waiting for something to update for 1.7.whatever?

In the meantime I'm having fun playing the scenarios :confused:

Traffic Manager: President Edition.

E: I missed the edit button. :smith:

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

I've been having another go at a pseudo-oldish city.

Overall view of the city in-progress, main industrial hub not in the shot.

Do you have any major traffic problems with this design?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Watching all these youtubers copying a row of props to put it next to them really makes me anxious to do the same. But I can never work out how it works! Any ideas? Are there any tutorials for the relevant mods out there?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

BigglesSWE posted:

Watching all these youtubers copying a row of props to put it next to them really makes me anxious to do the same. But I can never work out how it works! Any ideas? Are there any tutorials for the relevant mods out there?

I haven't seen the 'tubes in question but you can do this with the Move It! mod, aka the best mod ever.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

I haven't seen the 'tubes in question but you can do this with the Move It! mod, aka the best mod ever.

I have it and yes it is the most important mod for my play style. So it is specifically that mod that allows it? Cool, will look into the notes of that one and see if it'll help me figure it out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Prop line tool is essential for things like hedges and fences and nice tidy rows of bushes and trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ROFLburger posted:

Do you have any major traffic problems with this design?

Nothing too major. The high-density area is a haphazard mix of residential, commercial, and office, and there's a big industrial area to the left of the suburban area, off-screen. Labor traffic doesn't cause too many issues, because the closest thing to a choke point is that single big honkin' highway up top that connects to the off-camera industrial area, and even then there's several on/off-ramps in both the residential and industrial areas. The high-density areas have little issue either, because everything's mixed, so it's not like all the residents are running all from one area to the one area where all the offices are.