Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
We actually had some blue-ribbon pricks prancing around outside my house today.
We only noticed them because one of them bore an uncanny resemblance to IDS from the back.
None of them, it should be noted, was the local Tory candidate, whose face I would recognise.

They left the area about 10 minutes after arriving, in a loving Mini Cooper, but not before they'd had some atrocious bonding ritual dance that I'm sure I'll hear about in a Grauniad article in 25 years, where a mid-40s guy got very familiar with an early-20s guy for the benefit of an apparently invisible camera.

Vote Tory :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

Did anyone link the story about the French lawyer filing a claim that the EU referendum was illegal because it excluded EU-resident ex-pats?

Given that referendums are non binding I don't see how it could have a legal status.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/fitzy_blue/stat...r%3D305%23pti17

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

How much would it cost to nationalise and write off the student loan debt that was sold off?

Not that much bizarrely. As its not that far off junk debt status with only a small proportion of loans ever expected to be fully paid back.

Some experts were putting the estimates at less than £1 billion to pay all existing loans off, so its something that should be done if you do scrap all future loans. Remember this is only the tuition loans, the maintenance loans are a complete different thing and much larger.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

One in ten people "doesn't know" whether the police should be privatised. That's my take-home message from this chart.
It's possible that one in ten people don't know what 'privatisation' means. I'm not sure if this counts as an optimistic perspective.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/866181434003914752

I'm no fan of digging up dirt for character assassinations, but to be honest this is pretty hard to defend against. Abbott will continue to be a liability for Corbyn's Labour. She might have nice ideals, but I cannot see her competently running a Department (assuming she'd be in a Corbyn cabinet).

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/jackhaines98/status/864496359231062016

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Ewan posted:

https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/866181434003914752

I'm no fan of digging up dirt for character assassinations, but to be honest this is pretty hard to defend against. Abbott will continue to be a liability for Corbyn's Labour. She might have nice ideals, but I cannot see her competently running a Department (assuming she'd be in a Corbyn cabinet).

I assume the Times has verified it (this time), but one does have to exercise caution when looking up 'quotes' from Diane Abbott from that era:

https://thelionandunicorn.wordpress.com/2016/08/29/a-danger-to-democracy-a-press-portrait-of-diane-abbott-part-1/ posted:

The personal attacks on Abbott started in a piece that Letwin wrote in The Times in 1986, quoting a document that he claimed she had written: ‘We are not interested in reforming the prevailing institutions of the police, armed services, judiciary and monarchy … We are about dismantling them and replacing them with our own machinery of class rule.’

In fact, the truth was both more prosaic and more interesting. The document, Alan Rusbridger had revealed the previous year, was a fake, taking some passages from an early draft of a discussion paper and adding ‘one or two monster raving loony Trotskyist inserts sufficiently extreme for the Labour Party powers-that-be to employ several barge poles in any future dealings with Ms Abbott’.

Who might have done such a thing? Some suspected the camp of Ken Livingstone, trying to scupper her chances of getting the Brent East nomination, but, noted Rusbridger: ‘Mr Livingstone resolutely refuses to comment on any of this.’

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Weak. Real commitment means tattoos and brandings, not a bloody haircut. I guess it's fitting that a lib dem would make an easily reversible decision

Anyone got a May tattoo yet?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

TACD posted:

It's possible that one in ten people don't know what 'privatisation' means. I'm not sure if this counts as an optimistic perspective.

It's more like one in ten people (which is incredibly low in my experience) don't give a poo poo about your boring survey.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Anyone got a May tattoo yet?

I suspect a few people will be getting them in a month or so :godwin:

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

May’s plan to end free school lunches ‘to hit 900,000 struggling families’

quote:

About 900,000 children from struggling families will lose their right to free school lunches under a cut unveiled in the Conservative manifesto.

The total includes more than 600,000 young children recently defined as coming from “ordinary working families”, according to analysis for the Observer by the Education Policy Institute.

It means that the surprise measure risks undermining Theresa May’s pledge to prioritise families that are “just about managing” – those who are in work, but struggling to make ends meet.

May opted to end universal free school lunches for infants, introduced under the coalition government, and replace them with free breakfasts. The money saved will be used to see off a looming Tory rebellion over school funding.

The move risks punishing exactly the kind of families the prime minister has promised to help and will cost families about £440 for every child hit by the cut. It is likely to save about £650m a year.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://www.politicshome.com/news/europe/eu-policy-agenda/brexit/news/86112/david-davis-warns-uk-will-quit-brexit-talks-if-eu

quote:

David Davis has warned that Britain will walk away from the negotiating table unless the EU drops calls for the UK to cough up €100bn as part of its Brexit bill.
The Brexit Secretary told the Sunday Times talks would be plunged into “crisis” from the outset because Brussels has refused to discuss a trade deal before Britain settles its outstanding financial obligations.
He also warned that he considers even £1bn "a lot of money", claimed officials in the European Commission have "axes to grind" and accused other EU member states of failing to tell the truth.
Responding to Mr Davis’ remarks a senior EU negotiator told the same paper the chances of the UK leaving the EU without a fresh deal were now “over 50%”.
Theresa May also today insisted money paid in the past by Britain must be factored in by the European Union when calculating the UK’s divorce bill from Brussels.
As member states prepare to sign off on a legally binding negotiating position tomorrow, sources claimed they will demand the UK pays more than €100bn in outstanding obligations.
In an interview with the Sunday Times Mr Davis said: "We don’t need to just look like we can walk away, we need to be able to walk away. Under the circumstances, if that was necessary, we would be in a position to do it."
But a senior EU source told the paper: “For the first time in living memory there is a complete consensus: the net payers refuse to pay more cash into the budget and the net recipients refuse to accept losing some of their handouts — they all have a vested interest in maximising the amount that Britain will be due to pay upon leaving.”
FINE IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE THAT WAY WE ARE TAKING OUR BALL AND GOING HOME!!!!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Imagine, if May loses 6 seats, it'll be Big Keir doing the negotiations not that dickhead.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Yeah! Go on keir, pay them double!

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
On the subject of Keir - he always struck me as someone competent, but he rarely comes up in the occasional discussions of who will replace Corbyn after the election. What do people think?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Ewan posted:

On the subject of Keir - he always struck me as someone competent, but he rarely comes up in the occasional discussions of who will replace Corbyn after the election. What do people think?

He is currently favorite with the bookies.

No hes not. just checked now Cooper is clear favorite. Who the the hell is putting money on her, she would not get elected by the membership in a million years.

ukle fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 21, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Ewan posted:

He's never fully got behind Corbyn which doesn't endear him to the left, and he's extremely boring and lacks charisma which doesn't endear him to the right. I don't think he's ever been a serious contender.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ewan posted:

He's only been an MP (or indeed a politician at all) for two years. Some would see that as an advantage though.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

jabby posted:

He's never fully got behind Corbyn which doesn't endear him to the left, and he's extremely boring and lacks charisma which doesn't endear him to the right. I don't think he's ever been a serious contender.

He sounds strong and stable to me

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Bodied

https://twitter.com/MarrShow/status/866218794779201536

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's only been an MP (or indeed a politician at all) for two years. Some would see that as an advantage though.

Head of the CPS is impressive sounding though

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ukle posted:

He is currently favorite with the bookies.

No hes not. just checked now Cooper is clear favorite. Who the the hell is putting money on her, she would not get elected by the membership in a million years.

She's the most like Theresa May in presentation. The Guardian love her.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

:420: 420 Fight Back Every Day

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

jabby posted:

Maybe that's a good thing? He's not totally toxic to either the Corbynites or the Blairites.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jess Phillips on Peston saying that public opinion toward Corbyn hasn't improved (despite the polls showing it has), absolving the media of blame for his poor popularity, and repeating Starmer's line that we should measure success purely by number of seats won.

Looks like the 'let him fail on his own' approach is running into the issue of steadily improving poll numbers and personal ratings, so I'm expecting the attacks from within Labour to resume and intensify over the next few weeks.

For anyone who hasn't realised, this is why a 'unity candidate' won't work.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Have we had any favourability polls on May / Corbyn since the snap election was called though?

The issue we're reaching is the same one Miliband faced, in that people like Labour and what they're saying, but not necessarily Corbyn.

E: This is also basically a post-manifesto bounce, once the IRA spin stories and the Tory manifesto takes effect, we'll probably see the polls dip down again.

Not So Fast fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 21, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Not So Fast posted:

The issue we're reaching is the same one Miliband faced, in that people like Labour and what they're saying, but not necessarily Corbyn.
Milliband was the most likeable major candidate in the last few decades. People are dumb.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Even staunch Tory Andrew Neil isn't a fan of the dementia tax

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/866236437787795457

Steve2911 posted:

Milliband was the most likeable major candidate in the last few decades. People are dumb.
But he couldn't eat a sandwich properly so therefore not fit to run the country.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

Have we had any favourability polls on May / Corbyn since the snap election was called though?

E: This is also basically a post-manifesto bounce, once the IRA spin stories and the Tory manifesto takes effect, we'll probably see the polls dip down again.

Opinium rating for Corbyn on April 22nd: -35

Opinium rating for Corbyn yesterday: -18

Gaining 17 points of popularity in a few weeks is quite a feat, and it completely shreds the idea that Corbyn is naturally unpopular with voters and the more they see of him the more they dislike him.

jabby fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 21, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
efb

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 21, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Not So Fast posted:

Uhhh, I would be utterly stunned if there is a post-manifesto bounce for the Tories, considering what is inside the loving thing.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Opinion rating for Corbyn on April 22nd: -35

Opinion rating for Corbyn yesterday: -18

Gaining 17 points of popularity in a few weeks is quite a feat, and it completely shreds the idea that Corbyn is naturally unpopular with voters and the more they see of him the more they dislike him.

...except for his -18 approval rating ?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Not So Fast posted:

There are some which show that Corbyn is now more popular than either Farron or Nuthall, with May dropping down from her height of a few months ago (unsurprising, really).

Leaks from the Tories have already said that they have pretty much run out everything they can on Corbyn and that there are no more surprises left, so people basically either love him or hate him at this point based on what they know already. Apparently he doesn't really have any more skeletons left in the closet.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

jabby posted:

Opiniun rating for Corbyn on April 22nd: -35

Opiniun rating for Corbyn yesterday: -18

OK, that is interesting. Still quite low, but interesting.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

jabby posted:

Opiniun rating for Corbyn on April 22nd: -35

Opiniun rating for Corbyn yesterday: -18

He's grown on a lot of people and that is a commendable feat. But - we're four years two and a half weeks from the next GE, so without some sort of miracle, I can't see it really mattering. I personally see it flattening out at about -15%.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

...except for his -18 approval rating ?

People have seen more of Corbyn and his policies since the election campaign began, and as a result his popularity has considerably improved. I'm fairly sure you did not think that would happen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think he's the only party leader whose popularity has improved rather than declined over this campaign.

Ewan posted:

He's grown on a lot of people and that is a commendable feat. But - we're four years two and a half weeks from the next GE, so without some sort of miracle, I can't see it really mattering. I personally see it flattening out at about -15%.

That's not entirely the point. One of the big Blairite arguments against Corbyn was that he was toxic to the electorate and the more they saw of him the worse they would dislike him, so why not trash his reputation to try and get rid of him? Turns out it isn't true, and he's a lot more popular with the public than they made him.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Ewan posted:

Even staunch Tory Andrew Neil isn't a fan of the dementia tax

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/866236437787795457

But he couldn't eat a sandwich properly so therefore not fit to run the country.

A commie jew who hates britain and eats bacon. Completely untrustworthy!!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

People have seen more of Corbyn and his policies since the election campaign began, and as a result his popularity has considerably improved. I'm fairly sure you did not think that would happen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think he's the only party leader whose popularity has improved rather than declined over this campaign.

People have seen more of Corbyn and his approval rating is -18. If your contention is that exposure to Corbyn makes him popular then your own evidence suggests you are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
What generally happens is that the polls are made from second hand impressions for most of the election cycle; people only actually see what the party leaders are actually like in the run up to the GE.

• Locked thread