Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

A+ on that new thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont see a bed in those pictures. :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Synthbuttrange posted:

I dont see a bed in those pictures. :(

In this thing?

Yeah, no bed. The couch might fold out. They probably kept their bed in either the "storage loft" or the basement, but neither of those spaces meet code for a bedroom. So they can't tell you to use the space as a bedroom, but they don't have to tell you not to either. Wink, wink. Once you own the place you can put your bed wherever you want. Probably the loft, the dungeon hole doesn't look big enough to get even a foam mattress and disassembled Ikea frame through.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

In this thing?

Yeah, no bed. The couch might fold out. They probably kept their bed in either the "storage loft" or the basement, but neither of those spaces meet code for a bedroom. So they can't tell you to use the space as a bedroom, but they don't have to tell you not to either. Wink, wink. Once you own the place you can put your bed wherever you want. Probably the loft, the dungeon hole doesn't look big enough to get even a foam mattress and disassembled Ikea frame through.

Have a look at picture #9, there are pipes running through the loft. Even if the diagram says four feet you're probably not going to want to sleep up there. And the trap door is too small to fit a real mattress through, so I hope you either like sleeping in your living room or on a blowup.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I presume it just powers the controls, but that just makes it worse. :psyduck:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Arachnamus posted:

I asked the builder about it shortly after posting, they are indeed relying solely on those bolts to hold up the perimeter. They're fixed in with resin, fine, but it's the sheer strength I'm concerned about.

They've since added hangers all the way round so that part's done, I'm presuming they're going to trim or fold the tops of the hangers when they fit the floor.

The ground floor will be getting new plaster but here we don't usually plasterboard (drywall) on brick, it's more common to use a sand/cement render as a scratch coat. But I've not confirmed what their plans are.

Edit: also when using plasterboard on brick it tends to be via dot and dab rather than studwork, so no support there either.

I'm pretty sure trimming or folding the hangers will weaken the structural integrity of them. Sounds like they didn't want to get a different size

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
335 THOUSAND for a 601 square foot apartment with no bedroom or bathroom? I don't think there's a city in the world nice enough for me to go in for paying for that poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god there's no bathroom

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Synthbuttrange posted:

you piss in the washer then throw it on rinse and clean yourself in front of dryer

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Pictures 16 and 17 seem to imply a bathroom, but there is no positive proof of the existence of a toilet.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NancyPants posted:

A+ on that new thread title

Made me think I was reading Medical Care Stories for a bit.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jordanis posted:

Pictures 16 and 17 seem to imply a bathroom, but there is no positive proof of the existence of a toilet.

I think photo 17 was taken whilst sitting on the toilet.

But as you say, without positive proof, don't take anything for granted.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

That electrical is potentially terrifying and you should take plenty of pictures both for this thread and your insurance.

It's all gone now, the renovation is a complete rip out from top to bottom with new electrics. I'll see if I can dig up some photos but I think I was a little lax with the "before" stuff.

H110Hawk posted:

5 layers of lino on top of tiles is sort of par for the course, but you forgot that those tiles are probably asbestos. :v:

Well, the builders ripped them out last week so poor them if they were :) It's less the layers being unusual so much as an attitude of "what's cheapest? do that".

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm pretty sure trimming or folding the hangers will weaken the structural integrity of them. Sounds like they didn't want to get a different size

It looks like these are "jiffy hangers" and are designed to be folded over and fixed to the top of the joist: http://www.sabrefix.com/media/3828/jiffy_hanger_1_.pdf

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Synthbuttrange posted:

You pee down the dungeon hole, obviously.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You can sort of see one of the electrical messes here:

The room with the dust door on it is the bathroom. At some point the PO decided they wanted an electrically heated towel rail, which it turns out requires electricity.

They went to the socket on the left and split out a cable, ran it diagonally across the carpet to where those rubble bags are, and punched a hole in the wall.

Sadly I've checked and I seem to have no photos of the inside of the bathroom at all, lost to time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jordanis posted:

Schrödinger's Can

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Arachnamus posted:

Well, the builders ripped them out last week so poor them if they were :) It's less the layers being unusual so much as an attitude of "what's cheapest? do that".

Enjoy your newly asbestosized ductwork!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Enjoy your newly asbestosized ductwork!

They were 1908 ceramic or whatever, it's fine.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Even if they weren't, that stuff is barely friable. You have to really work at getting asbestos airborne from vct.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Glue a doorframe + door + brick wallpaper in there.for maximum 90's cartoon.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gNI7Rgmj3U

Except that in this case, it turns out that if you hit that fake door at full speed you'd bust right through the sheetrock and be stopped by the actual door there behind it.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

The exit sign is clearly not lit and is therefore accurate.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Kool-Aid corporate hq, I assume.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Everyone thought the old janitor was crazy. Sure, Len was a bit of a boozer and prone to wandering off -- but who wouldn't be, with what he saw overseas with the Army in '69? -- and we all figured that's why he stopped showing up to work last year. He'd ramble on about this and that, talking about how the old place had changed from when he first started doing odd-job repairs here and there to when he was finally hired full-time to keep up the ageing utilities and wiring. But he'd never talk about that unit exit sign, the one without the door. He'd maybe laugh and deflect, or just change the subject outright like he didn't hear you, but one thing's for sure: you wouldn't get an answer out of him. The closest I got was six years back, when we were snowed in and had more than our share of Jack. "Ken," he said, his eyes rheumy from what I figured was just the stale cigar smoke, "that sign ain't there for nothing. Some doors just take their time to show."

And that was it. He waved me off and told me to check on the boiler. But the last night I saw him I thought I saw that sign flicker, like it's starting to now, and though we could've been better at keeping this place up I don't remember the paint being this badly blistered. If there's a door, will Len be waiting behind it? Will I go through and find my friend?

Will I have a choice?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Everyone thought the old janitor was crazy.

Will I have a choice?

Please continue

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:suspense:

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Will I have a choice?

Not with a hook this good. Keep writing or we'll kill you.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Probably best left to your imagination. Just keep it in mind the next time you see a building that just doesn't quite make sense.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Probably best left to your imagination.

No it's not. I need to know where this goes.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I don't think you want to know where it goes. Especially the door.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Will I have a choice?

diy&h short fiction champion 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvcr063SP1A

Here's a funny (and new to me) clip of Adam Carolla stumping Extreme Home Makeover TV carpenter on carpentry trivia.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If there were anywhere insulated stairs could make sense...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Is it wrong that the first thing registered was that the exit sign wasn't lit?

(stupid code enforcement training)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can always tell when EVE Fanfest is happening from the uptick in funny pictures from Iceland getting posted on the forum. :allears:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvcr063SP1A

Here's a funny (and new to me) clip of Adam Carolla stumping Extreme Home Makeover TV carpenter on carpentry trivia.

gently caress I forgot how loving brutal Adam Carolla was when he wanted to just rip someone apart.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Motronic posted:

Is it wrong that the first thing registered was that the exit sign wasn't lit?

(stupid code enforcement training)

It is partially lit...by the light next to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I got a twofer in one bathroom!

floor drain in the wrong spot? Just cut a hole in the wall! I did not look close enough to see if it was open to the next room.

And this is in a couple year old hotel/restaurant that is pretty nice.