Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Phylodox posted:

Meredith was special to Ego, and those feelings transferred to Peter.

Yes, if I were a sociopathic murderer who fathered children with dozens of women and wanted one of them to cooperate with me that's exactly what I would tell them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

personally i don't think the solipsism ego shows in the movie makes him even capable of loving another being, not even meredith

an alternate universe ego that actually sat down and decided to change his priorities after meeting meredith? sure, but the one we got was basically a virus masquerading as a person

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, if I were a sociopathic murderer who fathered children with dozens of women and wanted one of them to cooperate with me that's exactly what I would tell them.

Well, that's what you're reading into the film. I guess there's nothing in the film that explicitly invalidates that view (except maybe that Ego chooses to try and win Peter over to his side rather than simply use him as a battery immediately), but it feels like that's more of a stretch than that he was being honest.

EDIT:

Brother Entropy posted:

personally i don't think the solipsism ego shows in the movie makes him even capable of loving another being, not even meredith

But that's why he murdered her, because her very existence was a threat to his entire world view. In the long run, beyond the initial infatuation, love is selfless. How can you be the most perfect, important being in the universe and care about another above yourself? Ego can care about others, but he ultimately chooses not to.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 20, 2017

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

an alternate universe ego that actually sat down and decided to change his priorities after meeting meredith? sure, but the one we got was basically a virus masquerading as a person

Certainly not in a selfless fashion, but it makes sense that it would be as close as a sociopathic deity could get. The virus comparison seems apt, it's not exactly groundbreaking, but a fair commentary on abusive parents.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Filthy Casual posted:

Certainly not in a selfless fashion, but it makes sense that it would be as close as a sociopathic deity could get. The virus comparison seems apt, it's not exactly groundbreaking, but a fair commentary on abusive parents.

ehhhh, some of ego's stuff can be reminiscent of abusive parents/spouses but i feel like the underlying motivations are way too different for the pieces to fit together all that well

e: which kinda goes back to my point of feeling like ego's cartoonishly alien sociopathy got in the way of the 'dads, am i right' theme

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Brother Entropy posted:

He doesn't even have to change his priorities long term.

His rational makes no earthly sense. What's 50 years to a demigod? Ego was MILLIONS of years old. 50 years is a tiny speck. If he loved her he could have put poo poo on hold for a while to grow old with her. Then, when she died, he could have kept going with his master plan.

In human terms, Ego basically kills his "true love" rather than push back his big project launch by a couple of days.

Guess what? Ego gave all the moms cancer. He left them all, they all died, he had Yondu pick up all the kids, he killed them all. There's zero evidence that Meredith was treated any better than any of the others. Ego's justifications don't make any sense. All the evidence is that this guy had a system, and he ran it on everyone.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 20, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

He doesn't even have to change his priorities long term.

His admission makes no earthly sense. What's 50 years to a demigod? Ego was MILLIONS of years old. 50 years is a tiny speck. If he loved her he could have put poo poo on hold for a while to grow old with her. Then, when she died, he could have kept going with his master plan.

In human terms, Ego basically kills her rather than push back his big project launch by a couple of days.

Guess what? Ego gave all the moms cancer. They all died, he had Yondu pick up all the kids, he killed them all. There's zero evidence that Meredith was treated any better than any of the others. Ego's justifications don't make any sense.

Loving another being was changing Ego. It was throwing his whole premise ("I am the best and everything should be me") into question. If he's perfect, how can he love something that isn't him? He couldn't just love Meredith and then merrily go back to his plan because she was calling his whole plan into question.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I dunno, "I hurt you because I love you too much" is dysfunctional, but not inhuman. The whole thing about Ego is that he chooses to be a god, but he's a petty, selfish, egotistical god, and so actually ends up lessening himself by his choice. He's kind of a pathetic god.

He wasn't, like, codependent with Peter's mom, though. It's more like someone who keeps themselves from buying chips, because if they're in the house they'll eat the whole bag. It's explicitly him paring off the human side of himself. Which pairs with that statement being his attempt to see if Peter can do the same.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Phylodox posted:

He couldn't just love Meredith and then merrily go back to his plan because she was calling his whole plan into question.

Dude, according to you, that's exactly what he did.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW I'm having a lot of fun discussing this and I hope you all are too!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

He wasn't, like, codependent with Peter's mom, though. It's more like someone who keeps themselves from buying chips, because if they're in the house they'll eat the whole bag. It's explicitly him paring off the human side of himself. Which pairs with that statement being his attempt to see if Peter can do the same.

I don't think they were codependent, but I think his love for Peter's mum was genuine. Genuine enough to frighten him. Certainly more than an unhealthy habit. I think Ego was partly feeling out Peter to see if he could think "big picture", but I think part of it was him honestly expressing regret (or trying to as much as he can).

He couldn't continue to love Meredith. Having realized his genuine feelings for her, he could choose to forsake his plan and live out his life and settle for being just, like, an immortal dude, or he could leave her, no, gently caress that, kill her so he could never change his mind, and become a god.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 20, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i wish we could've seen how ego treated his other kids; like, we know they all ended up dead but did he take some serious time to see if they could do his light magic with some training or was it just a quick neck snap the first time they gave up

there's this one moment the first time peter pulls it off where ego gets really loving pumped real quick then dials it back to a chiller 'hey i knew you had it in you', you kinda see his composed facade break for a moment upon finally getting what he's been after for however millions or billions of years they said he's been doing this poo poo

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

i wish we could've seen how ego treated his other kids; like, we know they all ended up dead but did he take some serious time to see if they could do his light magic with some training or was it just a quick neck snap the first time they gave up

I imagine he probably just went straight to energy-tentacle impaling with the other kids.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Phylodox posted:

Yes? There's nothing mutually exclusive about loving one person and being callous about others. All of the other women (entities?) Ego had sex with were a means to an end, as were their children. Meredith was special to Ego, and those feelings transferred to Peter.

In the movie he states that the only reason it worked with Meredith was that he loved her. Of course, that's coming from a lying heel with an ego literally the size of a planet whose looking at the one kid who worked and will now (he hopes) allow him to do what he really wants.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Is there any place in the movie where Ego directly lies? I mean directly spews a verifiable falsehood.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

That's a good question. I might have to retract that bit.

They really need to name the next movie Guardians of the Galaxy: Zune.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

Phylodox posted:

Loving another being was changing Ego. It was throwing his whole premise ("I am the best and everything should be me") into question. If he's perfect, how can he love something that isn't him? He couldn't just love Meredith and then merrily go back to his plan because she was calling his whole plan into question.

Yeah. If he allowed himself to see another being as having value, it would put the validity of his entire plan into question. If there's fundamental value in the existence of other beings, then replacing those other beings with himself isn't a very good idea.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

He saw her 3 times and realized if he saw her again he'd give everything up for her. He understood that he was falling in love, starting to see someone else as valuable or even more valuable than himself, and decided to end it. The slow killing tumor both ended the temptation and allowed his plan to continue by letting Peter grow up in a safe environment from which he could be kidnapped and brought to Ego. The horrible, monstrous, act is the proof and the consequence of turning his back on "humanity" so as to remain divine.

Brother Entropy posted:

there's this one moment the first time peter pulls it off where ego gets really loving pumped real quick then dials it back to a chiller 'hey i knew you had it in you', you kinda see his composed facade break for a moment upon finally getting what he's been after for however millions or billions of years they said he's been doing this poo poo

Probably gave them at least 3 chances before offing them. He did first get Peter to make light, then got him to manipulate it. So probably at least that long before dumping their body in Daddy's Little Disappointments Cave.

I wonder if he used his power to create food for Mantis or if she had to eat failed demi-god goulash every day.

Is there any place in the movie where Ego directly lies? I mean directly spews a verifiable falsehood.

Pretty sure he directly lies about Peter being his only child and Meredith being his only baby mamma. Though I'd have to see it again to make sure he wasn't just super fine line not technically lying. Everything was designed to both gain Peter's trust and slow walk him into being on team Ego.

I wonder if Ego knew about the other Celestials and what he planned to do with all that inconvenient life that was out in space at the moment when he absorbed thousands of planets.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

Phylodox posted:

I don't think they were codependent, but I think his love for Peter's mum was genuine. Genuine enough to frighten him. Certainly more than an unhealthy habit. I think Ego was partly feeling out Peter to see if he could think "big picture", but I think part of it was him honestly expressing regret (or trying to as much as he can).

He couldn't continue to love Meredith. Having realized his genuine feelings for her, he could choose to forsake his plan and live out his life and settle for being just, like, an immortal dude, or he could leave her, no, gently caress that, kill her so he could never change his mind, and become a god.

Ego can't truly love her and give her a long, slow death. Killing her off quick, while cruel, you could sell me on. The tumor? Nah. I think gunn wrote that part first and then wrote this movie and was like poo poo she had cancer in that first so I gotta make that fit somehow. And it doesn't.

He either truly loved her, or he gave her a brain tumor. It can't be both. And because it is it makes no sense. This movie wanted to do too many things. Sometimes contradictory things. It got greedy and the story suffered because of it.

GoldfishStew fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 20, 2017

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
It doesn't work because he can't be a cruel soulless monster to the woman he loved and try to father Peter past the point of usefulness. If he were a monster, he'd go straight for the energy tentacle impale the instant he can summon the light ball. If he actually cared, he wouldn't give brain cancer.

It's a needle they try to thread to make both the bonding and the heel turn work, but it doesn't really hold up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Are people forgetting by the dude's own admission he banged a bunch of women on a bunch of planets, then kidnapped their kids and then murdered them when they weren't of any use to him and unceremoniously threw their corpses in a cave to rot?

Does that sound like somebody who is capable of real love to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajaejPsU7ok

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

GoldfishStew posted:

Ego can't truly love her and give her a long, slow death. Killing her off quick, while cruel, you could sell me on. The tumor? Nah. I think gunn wrote that part first and then wrote this movie and was like poo poo she had cancer in that first so I gotta make that fit somehow. And it doesn't.

He either truly loved her, or he gave her a brain tumor. It can't be both. And because it is it makes no sense. This movie wanted to do too many things. Sometimes contradictory things. It got greedy and the story suffered because of it.

Killing her quickly would have killed fetal Peter (dibs on the band name). Also, I would imagine there was maybe a punitive element to it, as well. She dared to make him love her, to threaten his Great Work, so he made her suffer for (what probably seemed, to him) a brief time.

Again, him being genuinely in love with her doesn't preclude him still being a selfish, petty, vindictive rear end in a top hat. If he had stayed, she probably would have changed him (for the better), but he chose to be a god.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disagree that the movie didn't do it well. He had "human" parts and "god" parts and they conflicted. Just like in normal life people have selfish and selfless desires conflict all the time. And these conflicts break up families all the time.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Unoriginal Name posted:

It doesn't work because he can't be a cruel soulless monster to the woman he loved and try to father Peter past the point of usefulness. If he were a monster, he'd go straight for the energy tentacle impale the instant he can summon the light ball. If he actually cared, he wouldn't give brain cancer.

It's a needle they try to thread to make both the bonding and the heel turn work, but it doesn't really hold up.

He cared about Peter insofar as he's half Ego. He didn't care about Peter's mom insofar as she's not half Ego.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

ehhhh, some of ego's stuff can be reminiscent of abusive parents/spouses but i feel like the underlying motivations are way too different for the pieces to fit together all that well

e: which kinda goes back to my point of feeling like ego's cartoonishly alien sociopathy got in the way of the 'dads, am i right' theme

Is it really that alien? poo poo, Trump used to knock his kids over when skiing down a hill because he couldn't handle them going faster. From my vantage point, Ego was always supposed to be the false father due to that sociopathy, and the "Dad's, am I right" part was with Yondu finally coming to grips with how he really felt about Peter.

Speaking of Yondu, I've been ruminating about his mass murder on the Ravager ship lately. While it is most assuredly a murder fest, there does seem to be some stuff going on with it symbolically. It starts with him losing his way and being exiled from the Ravager Union by sly for doing really hosed up stuff and all the mutineers preferred those extreme methods, hating Yondu for going soft due to his bond with Quill. By throwing in with TASERFACE, they've relegated themselves to being as heartless as the Ronan's corpse/slave soldiers (who I'd count as people, at least as much as Nova's asterisk ship pilots), and are dispatched in a similar fashion. That was Yondu's first true attempt to address the evil within him, the second being his sacrifice to save Peter, as he was right about doing entirely too much evil to get an easy out. It's also refreshing to see a Marvel movie just show the drat murder already, instead of using exploding cars as a cop-out.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cinema Discusso: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: Just show the drat murder already

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Jeez, sometimes I'm amazed how people who seem to care so much about a movie fail to understand the basic concepts presented in it.
Specifically, the reason for Ego to abandon/kill his love was that he couldn't physically stay apart from his planet for prolonged periods of time. Ego says it. In the movie.
If Peter's mom was still there he would've gone to her and never returned home, effectively commiting suicide. That's the reason he had to make the selfish decision to murder his love and abandon Peter. Because he would've died if he stayed on Earth.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Saw the movie today, dug it quite a bit. I'm not sure it will be as rewatchable as the first film, but it's still a fun ride. In terms of marks against it, there were certainly some pacing issues with a lot of strange downtown left on screen. But once all of the pieces began to coalesce for the third act, that quickly fades to the back. Also, I don't know what it is about these silly movies with their tree men and raccoons, but both have managed to hit some serious emotional buttons for me. The whole bit with Drax and Mantis discussing Drax's daughter, and Mantis using her empathic powers to feel what Drax feels and just bursting into tears while he sits there all stoic is a great bit of character work, and lands beautifully.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You guys are real dense about Ego's motivations. He had a chance to give up his godhood and live as a mortal and care about someone other than himself, and he was so scared by the fact that this idea even tempted him that he had to kill the person who made him feel that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-tRXewCAmU

His attempts to reach out to Peter are a combination of regret that he "had" to do this and his fundamental narcissism where he only considers people who are on his level, or even more specifically, part of him, to be real. He's lonely, and he wants a friend, but only if that friend is basically him. It's almost tragic, really. He wants to have companionship but is unable to see past himself, and threw away his one chance at a real family to continue pursuing this insane wrongheaded idea of replacing all life in the universe with him.

I really loved the film, although I agree that they sort of overdid it with the "unexpected joke in a serious scene" thing a little bit. And the comic book nerd in me is upset the climax of the film didn't involve an angry planet chasing the spaceship while yelling at them with its planet mouth.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

What you are failing to realize is that there is a difference between killing someone to get them out of the way and giving someone you love a long, drawn out, incredibly painful death. He didn't just kill her. He tortured her.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He did.

He is a bad person. Hence why Peter acted the way he did. Yet he did love her. He's just not a human being despite wanting to be.

To him, he gave her a ticking time bomb that was sure to kill her eventually after Peter was born. He didn't much care how she died.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

No. He didn't love her. You don't give someone you love brain cancer. His character makes no sense and the heel turn only exists so we get Quills cool badass reaction.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This same convo is going on in the Alien thread but uh, hosed up people do hosed up things to the ones they love.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

CelticPredator posted:

He did.

He is a bad person. Hence why Peter acted the way he did. Yet he did love her. He's just not a human being despite wanting to be.

To him, he gave her a ticking time bomb that was sure to kill her eventually after Peter was born. He didn't much care how she died.

Actually, this is a good point. He couldn't kill her straight away because Peter hadn't been born yet. So he gave her an expiration date. Being a living God Planet, I would totally buy that the suffering aspect either didn't come into it at all, because he's never experienced it, or he saw no distinction between a death that took 5 years and a death that took 5 seconds (Remember, he's millions of years old, time has very little relative meaning to him)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

No. He didn't love her. You don't give someone you love brain cancer. His character makes no sense and the heel turn only exists so we get Quills cool badass reaction.

people kill people they love every day.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You always hurt the ones you love.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

This same convo is going on in the Alien thread but uh, hosed up people do hosed up things to the ones they love.

Thanks for spoiling that movie in this thread, jerk.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You do know the entire ship is filled with couples, right? Lots of love on that ship.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

You fools. There is a difference between killing someone and torturing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah so? Ego's a selfish rear end in a top hat who loves yet does not care in the end.

• Locked thread