Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Mr.Radar posted:

This is a very good talk about how tech companies are destroying the world and what could be done to help mitigate the damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSrLjb3k1II
Note that while :love:Cegłowski:love: hasn't updated the talks index in a while, he's still putting new ones on the site:
http://idlewords.com/talks/notes_from_an_emergency.htm (the one in the video, with links!)
http://idlewords.com/talks/superintelligence.htm (links and slides!)
http://idlewords.com/talks/robot_armies.htm (links and slides!)

quote:

If you look at AI believers in Silicon Valley, this is the quasi-sociopathic checklist they themselves seem to be working from.

Sam Altman, the man who runs YCombinator, is my favorite example of this archetype. He seems entranced by the idea of reinventing the world from scratch, maximizing impact and personal productivity. He has assigned teams to work on reinventing cities, and is doing secret behind-the-scenes political work to swing the election.
Yeah, take a guess why they are unlisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think we already had an article talking about Juicero from the (over-)engineering point of view, but here's a great video on the topic by AvE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cp-BGQfpHQ

He hacks it to work without the cloud bullshit and estimates that they're losing a good chunk of money on each even at the ridiculous $400/pc.

e: losing/loosing, ffs

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 22, 2017

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Add DBA to the list but then also add not working at Uber to the list.

There's not enough good ones to go around, but management doesn't give a poo poo and will just outsource it to Accenture or some other poo poo factory.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Is there any kind of movement to create a charter document or constitution for the internet? I feel as though something like that, if adopted by states worldwide, could go a long way in addressing concerns over privacy and data management.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

sitchensis posted:

Is there any kind of movement to create a charter document or constitution for the internet? I feel as though something like that, if adopted by states worldwide, could go a long way in addressing concerns over privacy and data management.

Anything that is composed would probably have more regulatory function than the nothing of right now, so until you convince SV as a whole that they have social obligations as a whole to not destroy free society for profit its going to be a hard sell.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sitchensis posted:

This is nonsensical. You'd need a world government first, in order for such a thing to be enforceable.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

fishmech posted:

This is nonsensical. You'd need a world government first, in order for such a thing to be enforceable.

Eh, not really. There are existing multilateral treaties on all sorts of things, like postal movement, civil aviation and telecommunications. How far they go varies, and who signs on varies, but they generally work. The catch is that the parties have a clear shared interest in compatibility - we want to get mail or planes from A to B and that's pretty uncontroversial. Not so with the Internet.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Time to draft an RFC for the internet world order

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

What do you do to the countries that aren't signatories?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

ohgodwhat posted:

Make them pay :10bux: to post :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Platonicsolid posted:

Eh, not really. There are existing multilateral treaties on all sorts of things, like postal movement, civil aviation and telecommunications. How far they go varies, and who signs on varies, but they generally work. The catch is that the parties have a clear shared interest in compatibility - we want to get mail or planes from A to B and that's pretty uncontroversial. Not so with the Internet.

And it'll never be so with the internet. There's whole countries that actively and publicly refuse to allow any sort of unfiltered internet access, and others that barely allow it.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

fishmech posted:

And it'll never be so with the internet. There's whole countries that actively and publicly refuse to allow any sort of unfiltered internet access, and others that barely allow it.

Err, that was my point? It's not lack of mechanisms, it's lack of will.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ruffian Price posted:

Note that while :love:Cegłowski:love: hasn't updated the talks index in a while, he's still putting new ones on the site:

I love the guy but Trump getting elected kinda broke his brain

Maybe we'll get funny sarcastic Macej back in 2 years when there's a dem majority congress or trump gets impeached or something

ohgodwhat posted:

56k bandwidth limit

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Platonicsolid posted:

Err, that was my point? It's not lack of mechanisms, it's lack of will.

No, it is lack of mechanisms. There's no way to enforce it. Real regulations are usually enforced against a lack of will to comply.

I honestly don't understand what you think an "Internet constitution" would even do, though, or why it would be needed. There's hardly a constitution for telephones or newspapers.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

sitchensis posted:

Is there any kind of movement to create a charter document or constitution for the internet?

It's called the GDPR

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

56k bandwidth limit

that's ok, that'll block their citizens from seeing their leader in a crop top.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
There is at least one effective international regulation of the internet, but its the agreement to let WIPO take domain names away in trademark disputes so it's not exactly a great start.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
The United Nations of BGP Peers. Must donate 2% bandwidth per year to DDoS mitigation

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The United Nations of BGP Peers. Must donate 2% bandwidth per year to DDoS mitigation

*fills twenty million square meters of chinese warehouse space with lovely foxconn servers*
*steals electricity by tapping nearby power lines*

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

blowfish posted:

*fills twenty million square meters of chinese warehouse space with lovely foxconn servers*
*steals electricity by tapping nearby power lines*

But enough about buttcoin

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

mobby_6kl posted:

I think we already had an article talking about Juicero from the (over-)engineering point of view, but here's a great video on the topic by AvE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cp-BGQfpHQ

He hacks it to work without the cloud bullshit and estimates that they're loosing a good chunk of money on each even at the ridiculous $400/pc.
As an engineer, I really wasn't prepared for seeing this. Seeing so many huge, perfectly machined/molded parts in a loving kitchen appliance is just staggering. He spends a bunch of time looking at the electronics, but all those PCBs and parts probably cost about the same as one of those ground pins. The designers probably made millions in profits off of this job.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ANIME AKBAR posted:

As an engineer, I really wasn't prepared for seeing this. Seeing so many huge, perfectly machined/molded parts in a loving kitchen appliance is just staggering. He spends a bunch of time looking at the electronics, but all those PCBs and parts probably cost about the same as one of those ground pins. The designers probably made millions in profits off of this job.

Seriously, the thing is almost a work of art. His comment on how the real challenge is building something that works under constraints is true, but dang sometimes it's nice to see what people can do without any constraints too.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Oneiros posted:

Seriously, the thing is almost a work of art. His comment on how the real challenge is building something that works under constraints is true, but dang sometimes it's nice to see what people can do without any constraints too.

I didn't hear that comment but it was exactly my thought. Engineering really is about constraints and this thing threw out almost all of them including cost and size.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The company's founder was originally ok with the machine costing as much as $1500 to sell to consumers, according to some old interviews, before some business managers were brought and put some level of control on the whole project. Probably explains why the design was allowed to go so crazy, and only mildly cut back for the original $700 unit price.

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

Oneiros posted:

Yeah, great to see what a lack of constraints can lead to...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Now imagine some ridiculously overengineered IoT sex toy built to the same generous standards. Capable of oscillating at 30,000 rpm, Waterproof in pressures exceeding 900 Bar , fully functional at temperatures up to 800 Kelvin, etc.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Panfilo posted:

Now imagine some ridiculously overengineered IoT sex toy built to the same generous standards. Capable of oscillating at 30,000 rpm, Waterproof in pressures exceeding 900 Bar , fully functional at temperatures up to 800 Kelvin, etc.

:science:
Gentlemen, today we shall gently caress God!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RuanGacho posted:

:science:
Gentlemen, today we shall gently caress God!

And God was wrathful that Man attempted to gently caress Him;
And therefore he split apart their genders, and their sexes also;
So that they were a multitude, as grains of sand in the sea;
And none could know whom to gently caress and how.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And God was wrathful that Man attempted to gently caress Him;
And therefore he split apart their genders, and their sexes also;
So that they were a multitude, as grains of sand in the sea;
And none could know whom to gently caress and how.

Nice! :angel:

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 22, 2017

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Boxcar posted:

Yeah, great to see what a lack of constraints can lead to...

An $400 loss-leading piece of hardware coupled with a consumables subscription? Not exactly a groundbreaking business strategy, or an unprofitable one. I mean, the $120M in VC funding is almost certainly unwarranted but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a profitable market segment there. I'd say the DRMed juice packs are dumb but hey, Keurig makes it work :shrug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oneiros posted:

I'd say the DRMed juice packs are dumb but hey, Keurig makes it work :shrug:

Keurig's packs don't have a failure mode that offers bonus simultaneous diarrhea and vomiting.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Oneiros posted:

Keurig makes it work :shrug:

It's selling a legally addictive stimulant as a service. It feels kinda like apples and oranges, pardon the pun.

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

Oneiros posted:

An $400 loss-leading piece of hardware coupled with a consumables subscription? Not exactly a groundbreaking business strategy, or an unprofitable one. I mean, the $120M in VC funding is almost certainly unwarranted but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a profitable market segment there. I'd say the DRMed juice packs are dumb but hey, Keurig makes it work :shrug:

You're defending a $400 machine that pushes juice out of a bag

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Keurig's packs don't have a failure mode that offers bonus simultaneous diarrhea and vomiting.

Actually makes me wonder how long the packs would be good for frozen. A lot of fruits and vegetables get kinda ruined, texturally, by freezing but since the've already been shredded and are destined for juicing anyway I bet you could get away with a pretty long shelf life. That would ruin their subscription model, though.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Boxcar posted:

$400 isn't that out of line for a juicer, have you looked at them at all? The subscription model, ridiculous tech / over-speced hardware, and VC funding are the questionable bits. The price isn't far off what I see everyday walking to work (san francisco).

Also I bought a $1500 espresso machine recently. It's very shiny, and makes some pretty dang good coffee, but I think I lost the right to criticize what other people spend their money on :shrug:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if you could make money selling DIY bag kits.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

RandomPauI posted:

I wonder if you could make money selling DIY bag kits.

If I were willing to mush the vegetables myself, I might as well use a blender and cut out the middleman. The point of this thing is to prevent the enormous tedium that is thoroughly cleaning a blender or, worse, a juicer.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Boxcar posted:

This really cannot be understated. It's an extremely expensive machine that pushes juice out of extremely expensive bags in low quantities. Not to mention of how it's riding off a trend and has a business model where even a modest churn rate could kill the business overnight due to every consumer representing several hundreds of dollar of potential losses on the very first day. The Juicero is the opposite of coffee pods.

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

Oneiros posted:

$400 isn't that out of line for a juicer, have you looked at them at all? The subscription model, ridiculous tech / over-speced hardware, and VC funding are the questionable bits. The price isn't far off what I see everyday walking to work (san francisco).

Also I bought a $1500 espresso machine recently. It's very shiny, and makes some pretty dang good coffee, but I think I lost the right to criticize what other people spend their money on :shrug:

This machine is not a juicer - $1500 juicer would be fine - this is a $400 bag pressing machine that does a little bit better than hand squeezing. The questionable bits are the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Boxcar posted:

This machine is not a juicer - $1500 juicer would be fine - this is a $400 bag pressing machine that does a little bit better than hand squeezing. The questionable bits are the whole thing

I guess I just don't get the focus on the $400 "juicer". To me the bigger issue is the $200/month bag of mush subscription. But people spend that much or more on all sorts of things (hello Starbucks) so I guess if you're really into juice it's not really that out of line? I dunno, I'm not in the target market.