Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

People have seen more of Corbyn and his approval rating is -18. If your contention is that exposure to Corbyn makes him popular then your own evidence suggests you are wrong.

He's saying his popularity has improved from -35 to -18 since the poll in April as people have seen more of Corbyn and his policies.

Do you understand how negative numbers work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

People have seen more of Corbyn and his approval rating is -18. If your contention is that exposure to Corbyn makes him popular then your own evidence suggests you are wrong.

Polling is a snapshot and his approval is still increasing. All I'm saying so far is that his exposure has made him a lot more popular than he was, which is the opposite of what his opponents claimed would happen. Maybe it would be higher if he weren't starting from an artificially low base having had his own party briefing against him for two years.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

There are some which show that Corbyn is now more popular than either Farron or Nuthall, with May dropping down from her height of a few months ago (unsurprising, really).

Leaks from the Tories have already said that they have pretty much run out everything they can on Corbyn and that there are no more surprises left, so people basically either love him or hate him at this point based on what they know already. Apparently he doesn't really have any more skeletons left in the closet.

That's the problem with having MI5 keep tabs on all those bastard lefties. You blow your smear-load a few decades too early.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It helps that Corbyn really, really loves campaigning but hates keeping the party in line in quiet times, which is basically the exact opposite of May.

One interesting thing that i've experienced talking to people while campaigning is that quite often when someone says "I've voted Labour all my life, but I could never vote for Corbyn", if you press them it turns out that haven't voted Labour recently, or in fact ever. The Shy Tory effect works in more ways than one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i dreamed about this thread last night

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

was i in it and nude?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kurtofan posted:

i dreamed about this thread last night

Have you changed your sheets since then

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Uhhh, I would be utterly stunned if there is a post-manifesto bounce for the Tories, considering what is inside the loving thing.
I think that's actually part of the Labour bounce. There are gently caress-all vote winners in the Conservative manifesto and several huge deal breakers.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ratjaculation posted:

was i in it and nude?

theresa may had suddently died and people were posting about it

it was one of them lucid dreams

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lobster God posted:

He's saying his popularity has improved from -35 to -18 since the poll in April as people have seen more of Corbyn and his policies.

Yes. That's how I understand that -18 indicates a negative approval rating and unpopularity.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

jabby posted:

Polling is a snapshot and his approval is still increasing. All I'm saying so far is that his exposure has made him a lot more popular than he was, which is the opposite of what his opponents claimed would happen. Maybe it would be higher if he weren't starting from an artificially low base having had his own party briefing against him for two years.

Latest poll has Labour slipping back, with conservatives at +12, your "approval still increasing" is probably just noise.

https://britainelects.com/polling/westminster/

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Not So Fast posted:

E: This is also basically a post-manifesto bounce, once the IRA spin stories and the Tory manifesto takes effect, we'll probably see the polls dip down again.

The IRA spin stories are out and momentum are handling them fairly well door to door (because they're bullshit)

The papers are going to reheat some things but Corbyn doesn't actually have any dirt to hide; they're firing blanks

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

knox_harrington posted:

Latest poll has Labour slipping back, with conservatives at +12, your "approval still increasing" is probably just noise.

He's talking about Corbyn's personal unpopularity.

It's unquestionable that polling shows hat Corbyn is currently less unpopular and labour is currently less far behind in the polls.

Labour is still going to lose and lose badly. It shows how bad things are that the current polling data is considered 'good news'.

Spangly A posted:

The IRA spin stories are out and momentum are handling them fairly well door to door (because they're bullshit)

Are they? In what way?

Nobody has been to my door to explain that team Corbyn were not IRA sympathisers.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

Different pollsters use different methods, you compare a pollster with itself. Which is, compared to its previous poll, -2 tories and +4 labour.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Yes. That's how I understand that -18 indicates a negative approval rating and unpopularity.

And yet you don't appear to comprehend that -35 is worse than -18.

Curious.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lobster God posted:

And yet you don't appear to comprehend that -35 is worse than -18.

Curious.

I fully comprehend that -35 is less than -18.

You seem unable to understand that somebody with a -18 approval rating is unpopular.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

theresa may had suddently died and people were posting about it

it was one of them lucid dreams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-4FJcnX0i8

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lobster God posted:

You could say the sky is blue right at this very moment where you are now and he'd find a way to pedantically argue that actually sometimes the sky is orange, & red & yellow & grey & black. So we must not engage.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

that was the mood yes

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

You could say the sky is blue right at this very moment where you are now and he'd find a way to pedantically argue that actually sometimes the sky is orange, & red & yellow & grey & black. So we must not engage.

Saying that a minus eighteen approval rating indicates unpopularity is 'pedantic'. Amazing.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
There is no way to reverse entropy, Pissflaps.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pissflaps is generally wrong but technically correct.

The best kind of correct.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
What is the defence used when people point out Corbyn & gang's previous closeness to IRA etc? He literally just refused to condemn the IRA (all he did was constantly condemn bombing when asked outright if he would condemn the IRA).

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Ewan posted:

What is the defence used when people point out Corbyn & gang's previous closeness to IRA etc? He literally just refused to condemn the IRA (all he did was constantly condemn bombing when asked outright if he would condemn the IRA).

He was always supportive of peace in Northern Ireland, and that involves talking to people you don't agree with. The British government was pushing a military solution that was always going to be impossible, while also talking to the IRA in secret. Condemning violence on all sides is far more productive and less divisive than condemning a single group.

Basically that sort of stuff.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
The complete collapse of UKIP really is stunning. Just over a month ago they were polling at 13% and now they're hovering at 3%. The country as a whole has had a 5 point swing away from right wing parties, putting them below 50% of the electorate for the first time in quite a while. But because we're in a warped political system, this massive shift will instead result in right wing parties getting a massive boost in political power, and a general perception of consensus.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ewan posted:

"If you believe in peace you have to have a dialogue with both sides. History proved that Jeremy was on the right side, because the Good Friday Agreement could never have happened without talking to the IRA & Sinn Fein."

Except put better than that probably, but you get the jist. When the alternative is forever war, sitting down with terrorists is in fact not a bad idea, it is a good one. Negotiated settlements only happen if you loving negotiate.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

forkboy84 posted:

the sky is orange

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
But-but HE TALKED TO TERRORISTS!!!!

Yeah, the media is stupid and will transform "we should probably try to understand terrorists, see them as humans, so we can attack the root causes" into "TERRIST SYMPATHIZER!!!"

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ewan posted:

The dirty little secret is that Britain weren't the good guys in the troubles. Once you accept that, you don't really feel the need to condemn people who supported IRA.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Nobody was the good guys in the Troubles. The IRA should be condemned at every turn, this is not exclusive to apologising for the Black and Tans being loving savages.

The Independent have analysed the Tory manifesto:

quote:

And that’s how they’re going to make all our grandparents go on the game.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 21, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
UKIP were a one issue Party, not really surprising given that the thing they were campaigning for is done with that people are switching back to more normal parties. It's pretty strange to think that in 200 years time UKIP will be seen as the most successful political party of all time though.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

jabby posted:

He was always supportive of peace in Northern Ireland, and that involves talking to people you don't agree with. The British government was pushing a military solution that was always going to be impossible, while also talking to the IRA in secret. Condemning violence on all sides is far more productive and less divisive than condemning a single group.

Basically that sort of stuff.
I think it's a bit disingenuous to miss out that he supported peace in Northern Ireland specifically through a United Ireland. I'm not saying that's good or bad - but we can't pretend he was neutral in the matter. If he was just about "talking to people you don't agree with", why was he not also meeting with extreme Loyalists? And why does he to this day refuse to condemn the IRA - an internationally recognised terrorist organisation?

And I guess the British Gov solution didn't turn out to be that impossible given that a peace agreement was reached in the end.

EDIT: missed an important bit in the first sentence that made it have the opposite meaning

Ewan fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 21, 2017

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

"If you believe in peace you have to have a dialogue with both sides. History proved that Jeremy was on the right side, because the Good Friday Agreement could never have happened without talking to the IRA & Sinn Fein."

Except put better than that probably, but you get the jist. When the alternative is forever war, sitting down with terrorists is in fact not a bad idea, it is a good one. Negotiated settlements only happen if you loving negotiate.
But Thatcher's government were talking to the IRA. There's not really much evidence that Corbyn's involvement contributed to the eventual peace agreement.

TheRat posted:

The dirty little secret is that Britain weren't the good guys in the troubles. Once you accept that, you don't really feel the need to condemn people who supported IRA.
I'm not denying that - but whatever side you are on the issue, the IRA (and PIRA etc) were terrorist organisations that used violence and killed civilians, police, etc to reach their aims. Corbyn still refuses to condemn them - that is undefendable.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ewan posted:

Bombing civilians is bad, but for some reason (who knows!) people are only asked to condemn groups that do that who work against the interests of our ruling classes; where are the journalists asking all Tory politicians over and over again to condemn Saudi Arabia, and Israel, and America, and ourselves?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Bombing civilians is bad, but for some reason (who knows!) people are only asked to condemn groups that do that who work against the interests of our ruling classes; where are the journalists asking all Tory politicians over and over again to condemn Saudi Arabia, and Israel, and America, and ourselves?
This is also bad I agree, but it doesn't make refusing to condemn the IRA OK.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ewan posted:

He literally just refused to condemn the IRA (all he did was constantly condemn bombing when asked outright if he would condemn the IRA).
https://twitter.com/HarryStopes/status/866232824181002240

If you're claiming this isn't "condemning the IRA" then that's a Pissflapsian level of irrelevant pedantry.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Ewan posted:

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say he supported peace in Northern Ireland specifically through a United Ireland. I'm not saying that's good or bad - but we can't pretend he was neutral in the matter. If he was just about "talking to people you don't agree with", why was he not also meeting with extreme Loyalists? And why does he to this day refuse to condemn the IRA - an internationally recognised terrorist organisation?

And I guess the British Gov solution didn't turn out to be that impossible given that a peace agreement was reached in the end.

I'm not sure why he needed to talk to extreme loyalists when the two sides that needed to reach peace were the IRA and the British government, and he's a member of Parliament. Generally speaking it's more productive to talk to the opposing side in a conflict.

And I already said why he doesn't want to condemn the IRA specifically: because it's not helpful to the cause of peace. Condemn the actions themselves and those that took them on all sides.

EDIT: I'm beginning to think you're being disingenuous, given you started off asking how something will be defended on the doorstep and then transitioned straight into 'this is indefensible'.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ewan posted:

I'm not denying that - but whatever side you are on the issue, the IRA (and PIRA etc) were terrorist organisations that used violence and killed civilians, police, etc to reach their aims. Corbyn still refuses to condemn them - that is undefendable.

Desperate people do desperate things. They are a 'terrorist organisation' because the people with power named them as such. I would make the bold statement that the British government killed a lot more civilians than IRA did. I will condemn IRA the day Theresa May goes to Belfast and one by one condemns every single politician and official who voted for or otherwise facilitated the armed occupation of Northern Ireland. Deal?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ewan posted:

He condemned the violent acts they performed. What else would you expect him to condemn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ewan posted:

He condemned the members of the IRA who bombed or supported bombing civilian targets. May won't condemn the Saudis even on those terms. Who's worse?

• Locked thread