Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Which is of course, solely filtered through the lens of my esteemed namesake. 52, for him, was meant to be the spine of the overarching DC Universe and the big moments to come, Wacker, Giffen, Morrison, Johns, Waid and Rucka cleverly decided to gently caress that off and just tell some awesome stories.

Countdown was closer to what Didio originally wanted 52 to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Oh Silver Age innocence...

And prom is tomorrow night!!

(Amazing Spider-Man #5)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Endless Mike posted:

I guess I should be more fair: he is good at layouts and storytelling, but I think his actual drawing is pretty garbage.

And if people think starting an artist-run publishing company means they're a good artist, well, the title of the bad art thread should probably tell them you're wrong.

Larsen is a great artist who, for some reason, can't draw the Hulk, and is generally terrible at drawing eyebrows.

He's a good artist when he has an editor guiding him, but when left alone, he goes all over the loving place, and there are typically lots of big guns involved.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dan Didio posted:

Which is of course, solely filtered through the lens of my esteemed namesake. 52, for him, was meant to be the spine of the overarching DC Universe and the big moments to come, Wacker, Giffen, Morrison, Johns, Waid and Rucka cleverly decided to gently caress that off and just tell some awesome stories.

Countdown was closer to what Didio originally wanted 52 to be.

I don't trust anything you post solely because of your name. :(

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Red posted:

Larsen is a great artist who, for some reason, can't draw the Hulk, and is generally terrible at drawing eyebrows.

He's a good artist when he has an editor guiding him, but when left alone, he goes all over the loving place, and there are typically lots of big guns involved.

I love this issue so much. It's just adorable.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Red posted:

It's SPIDER-CABLE! (Oh god they just tied the whole Grey/Summers bloodline into the Clone Saga! WASN'T BREAKING THE MULTIVERSE GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU, MCCOY?)

(Daredevil 354)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

KaosMachina posted:

That's not a punchline. That's an actual character from DC Comics from a group called The Inferior 4.

The punchline was that Dumb Bunny (of the Inferior FIVE) was being used to make a statement about how female characters are used in comics in the incredibly slyly feminist Bulleteer comic, 16 years after they made a joke in Animal Man about how she could be brought back into proper continuity as a serious feminist message.

It's really a shame that Seven Soldiers was such a short experiment. Some of the books were really, really good*, and Bulleteer was one of them . The whole thing was this whole major critique of gender politics in comics, hiding behind exactly the sort of cheesecake art that some argue is part of the problem. Also, her character of actively not wanting to be a superhero despite life disagreeing was an interesting turn.

*(shining knight and mr. miracle were really the only ones that didn't thrill me. Then again, MM was a decoy the whole time and never actually one of the "seven soldiers")

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man even if you could hang upside down, maybe a chili dog is probably best eaten when it wont fall into your nose and choke you.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Synthbuttrange posted:

Man even if you could hang upside down, maybe a chili dog is probably best eaten when it wont fall into your nose and choke you.

It's okay, he's using his spiderpowers to make sure the ingredients stick to the bun.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chili dogs are actually at their most lethal once they're inside your digestive system. How you eat one doesn't matter much.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Lobok posted:

Chili dogs are actually at their most lethal once they're inside your digestive system. How you eat one doesn't matter much.

MrBibs parachute account spotted.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lobok posted:

Especially once the chili's turned green. Unless that's relish on a chili dog, which is its own sin.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Knormal posted:

Especially once the chili's turned green. Unless that's relish on a chili dog, which is its own sin.

Get yourself some chili verde my dude

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Get yourself some chili verde my dude
Oh I'm aware, but I've never heard of a chili verde dog. It's certainly not what comes to mind when you hear "chili dog".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stop saying chili dog in there!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I feel dirty for having read this for some reason.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

From Batman: Gothic. He just loving flew into an Austrian monastery in full costume to start awkwardly asking the monks in sloppy German for directions.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

chitoryu12 posted:

From Batman: Gothic. He just loving flew into an Austrian monastery in full costume to start awkwardly asking the monks in sloppy German for directions.

What a dick. "You're a scary dude." "Only if you're a bad person grr."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

That's a real police line of thinking. "Why are you scared of the man dressed like Dracula. Only someone with something to hide would do that."

That reminds me, I think it was the Batman 0 issue after Zero Hour in the mid 90s when they went back to Bruce's time in university. Didn't he study law and contemplate becoming a police officer until he decided there would be too many layers of red tape?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I definitely read a Batman comic involving law school when I was a kid. I think it was a reprint of some Neal Adams material but I'm not sure.

Hilariously, the part Bruce Wayne got angry at was that law enforcement and lawyers had to punish people who, in his eyes, had done nothing wrong.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lurdiak posted:

Hilariously, the part Bruce Wayne got angry at was that law enforcement and lawyers had to punish people who, in his eyes, had done nothing wrong.

I'm curious what it is that he deemed "not wrong."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was one of those "Even the passenger gets in trouble!" laws, as seen in ancient Law For Kids memes.

The passenger wanted to get out of the car before the driver committed a crime didn't lessen his guilt in the eyes of the law, and Batman decided the law was bullshit and that he would only cripple people he feels like crippling.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

It was one of those "Even the passenger gets in trouble!" laws, as seen in ancient Law For Kids memes.

The passenger wanted to get out of the car before the driver committed a crime didn't lessen his guilt in the eyes of the law, and Batman decided the law was bullshit and that he would only cripple people he feels like crippling.

This is from The Untold Tale of the Batman, basically a miniseries recapping Batman's origin and early years. It's a few years before Crisis on Infinite Earths and Year One resets things. It's one of my favorite comics. Its from before I was born but I had a black and white digest sized reprint when I was a little kid.

Specifically the question was about a group of kids stealing a car for a joyride. One of them feels remorse and he wants to get out, but before he can the driver hits a pedestrian and kills them. Bruce said he'd find the other people guilty of car theft but not manslaughter. The instructor says they all face the same punishment under the law and Bruce realizes the law and justice aren't always on the same page, and that he can't work within the system to serve justice.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 23, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I guess they had to come up with some reason why he's ok with vigilantism.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

I guess they had to come up with some reason why he's ok with vigilantism.

Without going the whole "I want to turn people into dinosaursbeat the stuffing out of criminals" route

fe: y'know, this

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

prefect posted:

What a dick. "You're a scary dude." "Only if you're a bad person grr."

He's a bit of a dick in this one. It's the arc where Mr. Whisper shows up to murder mobsters, and they go so far as to build an upside-down Bat Signal to summon him. He shows up, tells them never to turn it on again, and leaves. Doesn't give a poo poo that Mr. Whisper is a child murderer back from the dead until he realizes that it's his old headmaster from school, who he thought murdered one of his friends there.

He also swoops down to save a guy from an alleyway stabbing by announcing that he's "the king of hell" and runs away while the guy he saved cowers and tries to offer him money to not hurt him too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kinda wanna read a comic where Batman's more of a terrifying jerk than a crimefighter. No, I don't mean Miller's stuff.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batman can't let his kayfabe down even for a second or nobody will ever be scared of him again. I bet it sucks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Batman can't let his kayfabe down even for a second or nobody will ever be scared of him again. I bet it sucks

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Kinda wanna read a comic where Batman's more of a terrifying jerk than a crimefighter.

That one Morrison issue with Joe Chill kind of fits.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Flash vs Squirrel Girl crossover looking bad

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

Kinda wanna read a comic where Batman's more of a terrifying jerk than a crimefighter. No, I don't mean Miller's stuff.

In "The Birth of the Demon", Batman opens up by getting whacked in the back of the head with a shovel because he turned his back on a guy digging one of al Ghul's Lazarus Pits to let him leave in peace. There's a hilarious series of panels I can get where he slowly climbs out of the river of muck he fell into and props up a sign he knocked over, his mouth dropping open in horror when he sees that he fell in a pool of toxic waste.

He then keeps yelling at Alfred when he suggests that he visit a doctor instead of hunting more Lazarus Pits because he looks seriously ill. It doesn't actually impede him in the final battle, though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Savage Dragon #25

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't get it.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

I don't get it.

:itwaspoo:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

So Modern Batman?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That is so definitely an edit, but I admit I chuckled.