Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Nroo posted:

Well they weren't going to give him a multi-colored suit, that wouldn't film well. So instead there's a simplified design of mostly grey with red/orange highlights. It's a slight, inconsequential change to better suit the medium.

And that comparison shot is using a screengrab from the miniseries against a promo photo from EW, which has become something of a running joke for their terrible promo photos.

So now I'm started to get confused, because I thought this was an argument about the tone of the new movie, instead of about the details of the appearance and guesswork on Skarsgard's performance from what amounts to seconds of screentime.

The way the main character (one of the most iconic characters in the entire horror genre) looks obviously has to do with the tone of the new movie and isn't inconsequential at all. It's glaringly obvious that they went for a darker, younger look and I doubt it's because "a multi-colored suit wouldn't film well". It would totally film well in a movie that doesn't look this grim.

Now I don't know how this Pennywise lures children with a 24/7 murder face, but in the interest of conversation, whether the casting of Skarsgard was right or not we at least know the actor is good and might pull it off. Being a big King fan I'd rather be wrong and watch a good movie than the opposite, but still wish they didn't change this much of Pennywise's feel because as good as Curry was, there were times where he was a bit too light and istrionic. So I absolutely welcomed a darker interpretation when the new IT was announced, just not as hamfisted as it looks in the little material we have.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kawabata posted:

The way the main character (one of the most iconic characters in the entire horror genre) looks obviously has to do with the tone of the new movie and isn't inconsequential at all. It's glaringly obvious that they went for a darker, younger look and I doubt it's because "a multi-colored suit wouldn't film well". It would totally film well in a movie that doesn't look this grim.

Now I don't know how this Pennywise lures children with a 24/7 murder face, but in the interest of conversation, whether the casting of Skarsgard was right or not we at least know the actor is good and might pull it off. Being a big King fan I'd rather be wrong and watch a good movie than the opposite, but still wish they didn't change this much of Pennywise's feel because as good as Curry was, there were times where he was a bit too light and istrionic. So I absolutely welcomed a darker interpretation when the new IT was announced, just not as hamfisted as it looks in the little material we have.

Yes because from the multiple seconds of video we've seen we can extrapolate that he has a murder face on 24/7.

I'm going to start using that for comedy movies. "Oh the trailers made me laugh so this movie is a non-stop laugh riot!" since that is pretty much your argument right now

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Len posted:

Yes because from the multiple seconds of video we've seen we can extrapolate that he has a murder face on 24/7.

I'm going to start using that for comedy movies. "Oh the trailers made me laugh so this movie is a non-stop laugh riot!" since that is pretty much your argument right now

They are certainly trying to market the movie as if he has a tryhard murder face, you are correct. Whether this is exaggerated to lure younger audiences or not we don't know, but right now we can at least assume he looks much more dangerous than a clown should, because how is he supposed to lure children then?

Please do use that argument for comedy movies as well because the really disappointing ones don't even have good gags in the trailer. If the trailer makes you laugh you can absolutely expect the movie to have those 3 gags at the very minimum which is still better than nothing at all.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

holy poo poo I just saw Pennywise manifest himself as the last couple of pages of this thread

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

In the book he did it with his weird otherwordly magic (Georgie) and by just straight up going murder beast on every other one we were given details on. There was no luring of Eddie Cochran he just showed up as his dead brother and ate him. There was no leadup for Patrick either just one day he opened the fridge and got eaten by leeches.

Hell the only time he didn't go straight to murderbeast that I remember was Ben and even then he wasn't a happy clown. He had no shadow and was holding balloons that flew against the wind.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The main problem is how in the hell you stage an adult "plausibly" luring a child while dressed as a clown. Cat's kinda out of the bag on that one.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Teenagers circa 1989 just loved balloons that much.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
To me the open question is just whether lil Skarsgard can act. Or pantomime or move weird or whatever it is he's called upon to do in the movie. Has anyone seen him in anything?

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
He's in Hemlock Grove which is an abysmal show but I think he pulls off the 'not quite right' vibe. I dunno I like him and I've really enjoyed the trailer so far. I'm glad the costume design is going a different way from the original Pennywise. I don't want to compare them. It's okay if they are different. Old Pennywise is great and maybe this Pennywise will be great too. They can be good seperately.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's not so much that the book and Curry's Pennywise is alluring so much as he is disarming. He makes kids feel isolated and helpless, but most importantly, he makes them feel unreasonable. The new version might be fine, but it's definitely a direction that looks like it looses some of the thematics.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I'm not going to say what's the "right" way to do Pennywise, but I can 100% guarantee the marketing is focused on the "scary clown" angle because they want all the teenagers to come see the movie and teenagers would look at a trailer with "friendly, unassuming" Pennywise and say "What's this dumb clown? That doesn't sound scary, that sounds dumb." Because teenagers are all about looking cool and brave and not so much about respecting source material and the analogy of adults ignoring the menaces children face.

We won't know know the full performance until we get the full movie, so for now remember that trailers are misleading.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

holy poo poo I just saw Pennywise manifest himself as the last couple of pages of this thread

I saw 50 new replies and assumed there was some news. Then I noticed the posters were all dressed in silver diapers with big orange pompoms running down the front...

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

IT, the tv miniseries, has a cold open that's drat near perfect, and it's not the part with the boat and the storm drain.

There's a girl playing with dolls in her backyard while her mom hangs the laundry. Mom goes inside to get the phone, cue Curry-as-Pennywise showing up behind the sheets billowing in the wind looking like his usual cheerful self, balloons and all. The girl looks surprised at first, then amused at the funny clown man. And then, just before the sheet blows back in front of him again, you see his face start to change. Not transform, or anything supernatural, just a shift in expression.

This lasts like half a second, so that you're still trying to decide what it looked like (probably the beginning of a snarl), when they cut back to Mom reemerging and looking for her daughter. Her gaze find she the sheet again, which might have a drop or two of blood on it? Maybe? And then she starts screaming at the top of her lungs and they cut to the title.

I bring this up because that tiny, brilliant flash of menace from Curry is the kind of thing the trailer lacks. It's not the creepiness that gets under your skin, it's the moment things shift. You can only judge the trailer by what it shows, so I can't fault people for taking issue with it, but Pennywise functions as a threat on a couple different levels. Like, yes, he is a clown who wants to eat you, and that's the trailer's focus. But he is also the creeping desperation of confronting adults who simply refuse to acknowledge the threat of the monster under the bed, or the weird gurgling of water going down the drain that sounds like someone inside the pipes is laughing and screaming at the same time.

Now I still like the trailer despite it lacking that element, but that's because I accept that it's a hard sell to pull that off in 90 seconds. It's not an aspect of the film that you can fairly evaluate with the scant evidence we've got.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

An underrated part of the IT miniseries is the music. Richard Bellis created some really memorable themes that work quite well to establish the appropriate mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Yj5oPgnXo

el oso fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 21, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

One of the main themes in It is a lack of safe spaces for children. We're taught by society that there are supposed to be certain sanctuaries for kids, no matter what the circumstances: school, home, etc. But in the book, that's repeatedly shown to be false. Ben is ruthlessly bullied at and around the comfort zone of school (to the point of being mutilated by Henry Bowers), and Bev's father is an abusive lunatic, just as two example. The impact of the falsity of this lie is compounded greatly by the book being set in the time period it is, well before the standard concept of "stranger danger" had so thoroughly bled into the American subconscious. So much of the book is about the idea of false faces - of evil hiding behind a wall of comfort - that it's hard to read Pennywise's clown appearance as being anything other than commentary on that.

The book was set in the fifties. Clowns were everywhere at that time. I mean, go and look up some of the old school packaging for cereal; it seems like goddamn near every one of the most popular brands had a clown on it at some point. Under that context, Pennywise taking on the form of a jovial clown in the fifties is like a serial killer disguising himself as, say, Mister Rogers.

Now, since then public opinion certainly has turned against clowns. It itself actually had a lot to do with that, especially for people of my generation who are in their early/mid thirties. But just because the movie takes place in a different time period than the book, the concept shouldn't be abandoned. If - if Pennywise spends the majority of this adaption looking like Little Lord Faunlteroy Of The Tuberculosis Ward, that would be a huge mistake because it takes the subtext of evil in plain sight and makes the threat explicit, which is very much against what the book is trying to explore. Plus, not for nothing, it's a creative misstep. Having a Pennywise that looks goofy and silly at a distance, only to reveal itself as mottled and sickly when its too late is far creepier, and it stays true to the heart of the source material.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 21, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Anybody who is legit afraid of clowns because of a scary monster story they read is weirder than the stories they read. Absolute fuckin' nutso basketcases.

They don't even deserve to float down here.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I think my main gripe with how nu-Pennywise is presented is how muted his colours look. Curry's Pennywise is bright and loud, but this clown's colours are the same dark, desaturated hues as the surrounding environment and so he looks a bit drab and run-down like (I know, I know) something out of a horror movie. In the age of digital colour correction they could make him really visually interesting imo by cranking up his levels and leaving his surroundings as they are, emphasize how uncanny and out of place he really is.

Then again, I'm not making this movie and it still looks like it's gonna be pretty great from everything I've seen.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It looking like a clown is kind of iconic to the story but if I were remaking it I'd swap the clown for someone in a mascot costume, because those things hit a lot of the same "children are supposed to love and trust them" notes for a more modern audience and setting, whilst also looking incredibly creepy. Like make It an off - brand Mickie mouse.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Kawabata posted:

They are certainly trying to market the movie as if he has a tryhard murder face, you are correct. Whether this is exaggerated to lure younger audiences or not we don't know, but right now we can at least assume he looks much more dangerous than a clown should, because how is he supposed to lure children then?

That's the problem with trailers; you have to sell the audience on it in about 90 seconds, so of course you're gonna go 'spooky scary evil murder clown jumpscare' and I guess try to ride off of that whole 'scary clown' craze that was happening, what, last year?

I know it wasn't a huge plot thing, but with the time shift, Ben's dad dying in the Korean War will now be Ben's dad dying in ???. That was one of the more eerie scenes in the miniseries, when It appears as his dad, in uniform, at first it's normal, but in the next shot he's holding balloons and has big orange pompoms on the suit.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
What I'm hearing is that IT should take form of Iron Man. Or, since it's the early 90s/late 80s--the Ninja Turtles.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

What I'm hearing is that IT should take form of Iron Man. Or, since it's the early 90s/late 80s--the Ninja Turtles.

Ironically, the original 'clown sightings' in the early 90's were of stuff like the Ninja Turtles and guys in Bart Simpson costumes kidnapping kids in a van.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

LadyPictureShow posted:

That's the problem with trailers; you have to sell the audience on it in about 90 seconds, so of course you're gonna go 'spooky scary evil murder clown jumpscare' and I guess try to ride off of that whole 'scary clown' craze that was happening, what, last year?

I know it wasn't a huge plot thing, but with the time shift, Ben's dad dying in the Korean War will now be Ben's dad dying in ???. That was one of the more eerie scenes in the miniseries, when It appears as his dad, in uniform, at first it's normal, but in the next shot he's holding balloons and has big orange pompoms on the suit.

His dad dies in Vietnam 2: Electric Boogaloo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Or alternatively he's one of the 19 guys killed during the invasion of Grenada.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Ya'll are talking about how clowns weren't really a thing when the movie take place. You're neglecting how big Ronald McDonald was at the time. I've said it before but my ideal would be like Tom Kenny playing a very guidance counselor like Pennywise.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 21, 2017

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Ya'll are talking about how clowns weren't really a thing when the movie take solace. It you're honestly neglecting how big Ronald McDonald was at the time. I've said it before but my ideal would be like Tom Kenny playing a very guidance counselor like Pennywise.

That's a good point. That fucker was everywhere in the 80's (I believe this movie takes place in '88 or '89, not the '90's). The comedy option would have been to go for Grimace or the Hamburgler. They also had that nightmare fueled moon-thing that sang a hosed up version of Mack the Knife with lyrics about eating at McDonalds. I'm still not sure why anyone thought that was a good idea.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Besides Georgie, are there any instances in the book of It, as Pennywise, luring anyone by pretending to be a benign clown? (and even Georgie realizes that hosed up clowns shouldn't be in the sewer.) He mostly shows up looking creepy, as a monster you remember and/or dead relative, then tries to eat you. And when he shows up in clown form none of the kids are excited for balloons. If they're drawn to him it's a strange lure, not a "oh boy a clown!" Sometimes he'll ask you to come with him but it's never in a pleasant way, it's your dead brother's rotten corpse in a clown outfit inviting you into the sewer. He's always explicitly spooky and supernatural.

Given it's set in the 80s and the shapeshifting will probably be little-to-none other than dead relatives, I think a creepy clown is a pretty good representation. Masked serial killers, evil clowns, and so on are that generations Mummy and Wolf Man. Tim Curry's Krusty was good but he's not The Definitive Pennywise.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

IT the clown wanders around town as a "regular" clown in flashbacks, so he's not ALWAYS super-murdery outside of the start of the boat scene.

However, the trailer only shows IT as he's actively attacking/scaring someone, so there's nothing to judge that on.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Besides Georgie, are there any instances in the book of It, as Pennywise, luring anyone by pretending to be a benign clown? (and even Georgie realizes that hosed up clowns shouldn't be in the sewer.) He mostly shows up looking creepy, as a monster you remember and/or dead relative, then tries to eat you. And when he shows up in clown form none of the kids are excited for balloons. If they're drawn to him it's a strange lure, not a "oh boy a clown!" Sometimes he'll ask you to come with him but it's never in a pleasant way, it's your dead brother's rotten corpse in a clown outfit inviting you into the sewer. He's always explicitly spooky and supernatural.
Once again, I think people are caught up on the idea of Pennywise being alluring which he rarely is. Take something like this scene though. It's not that he's not menacing. It's that up until the very end he acts condescending and bullying but most importantly there is this weird air of authority to him. He's definitively an adult.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I'm vaguely remembering that one of the kids, a really young kid maybe 2 or 3, was dragged into the toilet and "drowned" by IT. Only, you know, it was so brutally that the poor kid's head was crushed. But Mike Hanlon's journal recalls that the mother heard a voice from the bathroom just before it happened. Presumably, IT did the same thing to the kid that it did to George.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Besides Georgie, are there any instances in the book of It, as Pennywise, luring anyone by pretending to be a benign clown?

Tim Curry's Krusty was good but he's not The Definitive Pennywise.

No, there aren't. But it's gotten to the point where Curry's performance has cemented the character as much as King's novel so people have forgotten what they read.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BiggerBoat posted:

No, there aren't. But it's gotten to the point where Curry's performance has cemented the character as much as King's novel so people have forgotten what they read.

I just finished the book and I couldn't remember any other than that.

Does he show up as a clown and not murder people? Yes but at no point are any of the descriptions favorable that he's a good happy thing.

There's that flashback photo where the description says the kids are staring at him like they're afraid while adults ignore him.
Ben seeing him on the ice with no shadow holding balloons that float against the wind.
The bit about that gun fight where multiple people reported seeing a clown only they all saw him in different places and in varying states of :wtc: I believe one of them said he was leaning out of a window shooting guns at the baddies only he was hanging out the window from the knees up and not casting a shadow.

I'm honestly not sure where happy venus flytrap clown is coming from.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ironically, the original 'clown sightings' in the early 90's were of stuff like the Ninja Turtles and guys in Bart Simpson costumes kidnapping kids in a van.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD3aNn1A0Ek

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's not that he's not menacing. It's that up until the very end he acts condescending and bullying but most importantly there is this weird air of authority to him. He's definitively an adult.

This is a fantastic point, by the way.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Len posted:

I'm honestly not sure where happy venus flytrap clown is coming from.
From the really definitive and iconic scene that most people remember.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Timeless Appeal posted:

From the really definitive and iconic scene that most people remember.

So like 5 minutes of the miniseries and maybe ten pages of the monstrous book?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

This is a fantastic point, by the way.

Yeah, that's a really good take on it.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
There's a meta point about this discussion of a luring, false expectation clown.

The trailer pulls the same trick. It comes to a full stop for the laugh of the child Georgie running face first into the road block. At first it's fun and light-hearted but it turns dark and deadly very quickly.

I've been wondering if the trailer was cut that way to set the tone for how Pennywise operates in the film.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Len posted:

So like 5 minutes of the miniseries and maybe ten pages of the monstrous book?
I'll be honest, I think it's kind of disingenuous point. In both the book and film, it's the establishment of Pennywise's character. And there's more going on than just that Pennywise is initially nice. Georgie goes through that whole chapter anticipating some monster coming and eating him, and hating himself for that. That's the great tragedy. He knew It existed, but tried to avoid that belief in appeasement of adults and Bill. He even recognizes Pennywise for his true nature at first but is lulled into a false sense of security. Pennywise is playing on Georgie's insecurities and internalized belief that he's unreasonable. The scene is a microcosm for the whole book: The adults are wrong. There is a monster in the darkness, and worse, the adults on some level conspire with it.

Pennywise being a clown works so well because for a lot of kids a clown is something that adults present to kids and go "Here, here's this thing you're supposed to enjoy and find funny and love" and for a lot of kids that's just baffling because that thing is clearly a monster. And I think for me that's my hangup with their version of It. Because a clown is also just a guy in make-up who can tell you that his real name is Bob. It's a monster that can reason with you and convince you that you were silly for ever thinking he was scary in the first place. And turning Pennywise from a clown that looks slightly unnerving to a straight up monster does take away something that works thematically well.

Still excited for the film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
With Georgie we only see Pennywise's endgame, he has already "salted the meat", so to speak. He's just trying to get close enough to Georgie to drag him into the sewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainsforbrains
Jul 12, 2009

I'll be your Valentino
We'll ride upon an omnibus and then the casino
Y'know, I'd be willing to bet that we do get a couple of different versions of Pennywise's clown suit in the movie given his shape shifting nature. Maybe his "history of Derry" look will be different from his 80s and 00s look?
And as far as dismissing Skaarsgard out of turn, I'd say I learned my lesson against jumping the gun back in '08 when that pretty boy Heath Ledger made me look like a fool by perfectly playing a killer clown.

• Locked thread