Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think it's early on after she graduates from the Masquerade school. She's just a little kid at the beginning, remember?

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Anyone read Eon and Eternity by Greg Bear? Eon has been a book that I've consistently reread every couple of years and I'm just entranced by the Way.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Anyone read Eon and Eternity by Greg Bear? Eon has been a book that I've consistently reread every couple of years and I'm just entranced by the Way.

Yeah, Eon was one of the very first grown-up books I read in English, back when it came out and I was an impressionable 13-year-old nerd. Unable to have an objective view of that book.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

mllaneza posted:

Have a seat and enjoy a great novel !

:captainpop:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Groke posted:

Yeah, Eon was one of the very first grown-up books I read in English, back when it came out and I was an impressionable 13-year-old nerd. Unable to have an objective view of that book.

Concur. Read it when it came out and civilization-ending nuclear war was still a profound childhood fear. The bits of them up there on the stone watching the nuclear spasm down on Earth is still chilling even as a recollection.

The second book is marred by a subplot I didn't care about, but I loved the Teilhardian bits of it. Never read the third one.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Groke posted:

Yeah I think i read it about the same time.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

It's just occurred to me that one of my favourite novels is kind of a litRPG. Anyone else read Tim Etchells' The Broken World?

It's written as a walkthrough of a game called The Broken World, written by a guy whose paying far more attention to the game than to his life, which is simultaneously unravelling and not going anywhere, and it's excellent and weirdly heartbreaking. And also I want to play the bloody game.

I love his Dream Dictionary for the Modern Dreamer too, and I've been delighted to spot a couple of copies in 2ndhand shops in with the psychic and New Age stuff.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Groke posted:

Much like you said about Eon, the Integral Trees, mentioned a few posts back, is the same for me.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
i still have a few of these to give away :effort:

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/318370/free-space-by-sean-danker/9780451475800/

if anyone wants one, pm

edit: anyone in the US lower 48, that is (sorry)

Danknificent fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 20, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I finished reading a bunch of good sci-fi and fantasy (as well as terrible). Echopraxia by Peter Watts stayed with me because I really have no loving clue what precisely happened in two spots:

1) The lamprey
2) The very end

Really, it's the lamprey section I'd like someone to shed some light on.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I decided to clear out some stuff that's been sitting around for a while that I haven't read. Is Tower Lord really as bad as the reviews are making it to be?

I don't remember too much from Blood Song but I did really like the early parts in The Order or whatever that training was...

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Robot Danger posted:

I decided to clear out some stuff that's been sitting around for a while that I haven't read. Is Tower Lord really as bad as the reviews are making it to be?

I don't remember too much from Blood Song but I did really like the early parts in The Order or whatever that training was...

I don't think Tower Lord is bad, although it's slow to get started and in the end probably not as good as Blood Song. Worth reading if you really liked Blood Song, I'd say.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Robot Danger posted:

It is pretty bad. I can recall one interesting thing that happened in the entire book and the rest was just an awful slog.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The third book, Queen of Fire, is so bad that I didn't finish reading it.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Alright, think I'm going to quit while I am ahead.

Thanks!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Khizan posted:

The third book, Queen of Fire, is so bad that I didn't finish reading it.

I don't think I made it more than 5% of the way into the book. I always figured it was just that I wasn't in the mood when I picked it up, so it's kinda disappointing to hear it was just not a good book.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
If I remember right, Ryan originally had some kind of normal day job, wrote Blood Song over the course of however-long in his spare time, and spent a few years polishing it while looking for a publisher. Then he got signed by Penguin to finish the series, and they expected to crank the books out according to their deadlines, starting right now, which turned out to be something he wasn't ready for at all. I thought Waking Fire was pretty good, so hopefully he's adjusted to being a full-time writer now.

Also I made the mistake of looking at the Goodreads reviews for Revenger, and one of the top 5 recommended reviews was a '0 stars, did not finish", which I'm gonna reproduce in full here because I could feel my brain melting as I read it, and I really need to share my pain:

quote:

This review is dedicated to Choko, Luna, Lee and Gavin, my Should-Have-Been Reading Buddies for this Should-Have-Been Buddy Read (SHBRBfrSHBBR™). If this slightly awesome team hadn't taken one for me here, I'd probably be severely traumatized by now. Or dead. Yeah, make that dead.

It's pre-emptive DNFing time again! Woo hoo!

Okay, I was really really really going to read this one. Cross my heart, hope to die and all that crap. I'm a reformed space hater, and Alastair Reynolds is supposed to be the god of Sci-Fi or something. Which in itself poses a problem, come to think of it. I mean, that sci-fi god spot is already taken, thank you very much. Sorry, what? Oh no, you don't. Believe me, my Little Barnacles, you do not want to ask me who has been ruthlessly ruling over Sci-Fi since before the universe Reynolds was born. Unless you want to die a horrible, slow, painful death that is.

DUH.

But I ever so slightly digress. So. I was going to buddy read this delightful little thing here. Because supposedly great author, space opera and stuff. But something really scary happened: my wonderfully named friend Sarah reviewed the book. This is me after reading said review:

What happened? I'll tell you what happened. Shrimping Forbidden Word #1 (SFW#1™) happened! What? You don't know what SFW#1™ is? I'm not sure I can type it without convulsing to death but I'll try. Just for you, my Tiny Decapods *takes a deep breath, holds her nose and closes her eyes tightly shut*

SFW#1™ = YA

Sorry, it's an allergic reaction, can't do anything about it.

Yep, this ↑↑ terrible thing happened. So I obviously decided it would be slightly healthier for me to die than to read this book. But then I talked to Lee, our Resident Reynolds Grandmaster (RRG™). Lee thought I was a little insane and somewhat ridiculous for suggesting the Sci-Fi God Impostor (SFGI™) would debase himself by writing *whispers* YA ← be strong, Sarah! Don't convulse! Don't convulse! Don't convulse! And since I'm super humble and naively trustful and know when to listen to my elders and stuff, I thought: "hey, if Lee says Reynolds would never write that thing that shall not be named, I believe him! Let's do this!"

So I was all ready and amped-up (well not really, no, but it's always good to add a little excitement to reviews) and stuff. Only that the murderous crustaceans got caught in a silly skirmish with Eisnein's Equestrian-class Sea Monkeys in the Mariana Trench, so I was involuntarily held up and therefore late for the buddy read. And thus, my life was saved. Why? Because being late for the buddy read, I was able to scan the Sacrificial Buddy Reading Team's (SBRT™) enlightening comments about this delightful little book before throwing myself into it ← yeah, I throw myself into books. I'm wild and reckless like that. Now brace yourselves, my Little Barnacles, for I am about to share some of the SBRT™'s thoughts about this…thing with you. Said thoughts are highly disturbing, and not for the faint of heart. Consider yourselves warmed. So. The SBRT™ described this…thing as:

YA steampunk *shudders*
Middle grade read *faints*
Pre-YA *dies a little bit*
Enid Blyton *convulses*
Boring *finds this really surprising*
Devoid of humor *is slightly petrified*
Depressing *puts a bullet through her little head*
Ketty Jay light * is somewhat horrified*
Unlikeable characters *finds this shockingly startling*
No slaughter, no violence, no killing *is utterly disgusted*

Note to self: it's okay. You'll be alright. Do not freak out. Do not freak out. Do no freak out. Here, take a little blue pill and a truckload of whisky, and you'll forget you ever heard about this book.

As I was reading these fairly appalling and moderately horrific thoughts, I saw the light. Yep, I actually went all eureka and stuff. I realized that this was God's Glen Cook's way of telepathically trying to telling me something. What was he telepathically trying telling to tell me, you ask? Well, this, of course:

Bloody hell. That was a bloody shrimping narrow escape, wasn't it? I mean, can you imagine me reading this thing? I'm pretty sure I would have started murdering things slowly agonizing at the first sentence word. Let me tell you, my Lovely Arthropods, I've been Killed Dead by YA (KDbYA™) before, and it ain't a pretty sight. It's pretty horrifying, actually. So I can't imagine what being killed dead by Boring Humorless Middle Gradish Enid Blytonish Pre-YA Stuff (BHMGEBPYS™) must feel like ← Oh dear, I think I need another Blue Pill/Truckload of Whisky Combination (BP/ToWC™) here. I'll be right back.

I'm back. Feeling much better, thank you for your concern. Bye now.

» And the moral of this I didn't Read this Book and therefore I am Still Alive Crappy Non Review (IdRtBatIaSACNR™) is:
48 people liked this review.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Well, I'm sorry I read that. As far as I can tell they didn't even read the book and this shitshow is based on someone else's review of it?

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I rate that review a Talk to the Hand.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why did someone need to rate a book they never even opened to fellate their mental illness... Wait..

Clark Nova posted:

Well, I'm sorry I read that. As far as I can tell they didn't even read the book and this shitshow is based on someone else's review of it?

Yes, it appears they rated it a zero based on someone else's review.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

To be fair I am pretty sure that review was liked by people who found the insanity amusing.

I don't understand spongebob worshipping Glen Cook though?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Glen Cook is good but Tbh I'm not reading that whole review to see what he says about it

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Glen Cook is good but Tbh I'm not reading that whole review to see what he says about it

She, and nothing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

a foolish pianist posted:

She, and nothing.

I feel that one of my favorite authors (Glen Cook, you should read some of his stuff) is somehow diminished by being associated with that word vomit.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I didn't even know Glen Cook wrote scifi. Or that you could in-line animated gifs into goodreads reviews good lord

"I was reading Dragons of SPring Dawning and :eggplant: :dollarsign: :datsracist: :woopwoop:"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd like that review, TBH. I derived amusement from it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

At the risk of replying to coyo7e, Glen Cook's SF:

The Darkwar trilogy (plus a short story) counts as SF.

Shadowline/Starfishers trilogy

Passage at Arms (prequel to Shadowline/Starfishers)

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Heirs of Babylon

So nine books out of his 40 or so are science fiction .

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I think the risk there was that you'd out yourself as knowing everything Glen Cook has written - or that probably you read most of them, too.

Didn't your momma warn you about naming a trickster?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

mllaneza posted:

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Heirs of Babylon

Passage at Arms is a submarine thriller in SPACE and The Dragon Never Sleeps is a respectable attempt to squeeze the scope of the Dune saga into 500 pages. Glen Cook's SF is great.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
How is the sequel Stiletto compared to The Rook? Stiletto is on amazon US's daily ebook deal; I enjoyed The Rook but I thought the ending was a bit of a let down with how anticlimatic it was, and while I normally wouldn't hesitate to spend a few dollars on an ebook, I have so many unread books in my backlog that I'm reluctant to add another that I may not get around to for months or more.

Antti posted:

Passage at Arms is a submarine thriller in SPACE and The Dragon Never Sleeps is a respectable attempt to squeeze the scope of the Dune saga into 500 pages. Glen Cook's SF is great.

I disliked Cook's Black Company, but Passage at Arms was really really good, very tense. He did the "submarine in SPACE!" perfectly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PlushCow posted:

How is the sequel Stiletto compared to The Rook?
Slightly weaker but still very good. No more of Myfanwy's letters to herself which some may consider an upgrade.
As far as I'm concerned, boo.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

coyo7e posted:

I didn't even know Glen Cook wrote scifi. Or that you could in-line animated gifs into goodreads reviews good lord

"I was reading Dragons of SPring Dawning and :eggplant: :dollarsign: :datsracist: :woopwoop:"

Sit down. I have something to tell you...

...that's like 80% of them.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Goodreads shouldn't be used without a custom adblock filter for gifs in reviews.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
imagine reading the reviews on goodreads

Hmmmm lemme read these reviews on goodreads, hrrrmmmm yes
now lets check some youtube comments, ahhhhh very good
Perhaps I can search feminism on reddit next...

Also: Neuromancer almost done, deciding on I, Robot, Snow Crash, or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? next

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mllaneza posted:

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Heirs of Babylon

I haven't read it, but "A Matter of Time" should probably count.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

fritz posted:

I haven't read it, but "A Matter of Time" should probably count.

Time travel does count as SF !

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I don't know of any real links between the two but feel like chronological order would make sense for the two robot/android-themed books there.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The only remotely useful Goodreads feature is the upcoming publication schedule of authors you follow and even then they screwed that up by mixing in authors you've rated.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Goodreads reviews are very good and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Once I was considering trying some Abercrombie and went to Goodreads to see which of his books was considered best and they all had exactly the same rating.