Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
It only goes to 10k RPM? What, are you putting it on a car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
lol @ scope creep.

I took my 77 CB750k apart 5 years ago and it's just waiting on a bore and hone, head port, valves and springs, pistons titanium rods, turned and rebalanced crank... etc.
Once all the engine work I wanted crossed the $5k thresh hold I decided it's probably something that might be waiting until retirement.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

PathAsc posted:

This is so drat cool, can't wait to see the final product. poo poo, I'd buy a kit.

That would be worth the cost and hassle of buying an OG Suzuki Katana just to put it on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol @ scope creep.

I took my 77 CB750k apart 5 years ago and it's just waiting on a bore and hone, head port, valves and springs, pistons titanium rods, turned and rebalanced crank... etc.
Once all the engine work I wanted crossed the $5k thresh hold I decided it's probably something that might be waiting until retirement.

Ask me about taking apart my MB100 for a quick refresh (it only has 5000k's! mint!) which is now a bunch of boxes waiting to be powdercoated and me figuring out how I'm gonna stick a dirtbike carb and expansion chamber on it, as well as MB50 forks/gearbox/wheels/brakes. Plus a $1500 paint job currently gathering dust in a cupboard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Still fooling around with different graphics modes...not all of them have to be optimized for data density and quick readability. Some could be purely ~aesthetic~

(yes, the animation is synchronized to the speed)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So when you inevitably end up selling these what kind of price are we talking? Asking so I can start setting some cash aside.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Still fooling around with different graphics modes...not all of them have to be optimized for data density and quick readability. Some could be purely ~aesthetic~

My initial reaction to this animation was that it would fit right in on an early-to-mid 80s faired bike like a 1st gen Katana or VF1000F, but maybe not a Hawk GT. On second thought, nope, it would be loving awesome.

Would it be taking it too far to allow the end user to load a custom graphic or animation in a designated format and resolution to be displayed when the key's turned on?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

You need to add gyro sensors so that the virtual horizon can be calibrated with the actual horizon. :v:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Odette posted:

You need to add gyro sensors so that the virtual horizon can be calibrated with the actual horizon. :v:

Beat me to it.

Why not also a forward-scanning radar so you can also see the cars you're passing on the display?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

:aaaaa: :krad: This whole project blows my mind. It's so ambitious, and seems like it's coming along nicely. I wanna buy one when you are done.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Beat me to it.

Why not also a forward-scanning radar so you can also see the cars you're passing on the display?

Sounds like a good way to crash into said cars.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please make the vaporwave speedo a reality

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Finally did the valves on the 690 (as well as upgraded rocker arms). Everything still in spec at 10k, and the job was a breeze. I was dreading it for no reason. Having the right tools for the job like a digital micrometer made all the difference.

My plug looked like this, though. What does it meeeean?

I was acting a fool right after, and trashed my left hand guard plastic, as well as scraping the front fender. I did a sloppy job wrapping the prior guards anyway, so I took the chance to wrap the replacements better, and try out teal accents.

Then I sanded and patched the scrape on the front fender. Good as new!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Plug looks leeeean

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's what my buddy said. :( I'm running the right inserts on my Wings exhaust, but I guess this is incentive to tune/airbox/uncork? :getin:

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!

Sagebrush posted:

LIDAR? you can get them at somewhat-not-insane prices these days, but the range is still kinda meh.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I title this masterpiece; "gently caress POs Forever".

But, it looks salvageable, the beads where laid on the end of the shaft so the sprocket can move. just need to dedicate some time with a dremel. I got my brothers nx250 to compare to also.
If not, shaft project for the winter.

Also, changed the chain, the old that had gone bone dry after the PO let the bike sit for a year was stretching baad. was due for the 3rd adjustment in under 600 miles, I saw it get noticeable slacker in just 150 miles.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 21, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Why would someone even think of doing that, though?! It's not like it's going anywhere the bolts are right there!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

most likely wore out the outer stop tabs by installing the front sprocket wrong/using a too slim non oem sprocket. the end of the shaft should look similar to this

I see the fixing plate is also welded to the sprocket.

This bit:

Supradog fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 21, 2017

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

Will it do something special if you go too fast?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

I title this masterpiece; "gently caress POs Forever".

But, it looks salvageable, the beads where laid on the end of the shaft so the sprocket can move. just need to dedicate some time with a dremel. I got my brothers nx250 to compare to also.
If not, shaft project for the winter.

Also, changed the chain, the old that had gone bone dry after the PO let the bike sit for a year was stretching baad. was due for the 3rd adjustment in under 600 miles, I saw it get noticeable slacker in just 150 miles.

I exclaimed 'dear god!' when I saw the picture, what the gently caress is wrong with people.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
"Well, the counter shaft needs to be replaced. gently caress it, I'll cover it in booger welds and let the next guy deal with it." -- the kind of person that deserves a raging case of crabs

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Will it do something special if you go too fast?
Go to plaid?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Supradog posted:

most likely wore out the outer stop tabs by installing the front sprocket wrong/using a too slim non oem sprocket. the end of the shaft should look similar to this

I see the fixing plate is also welded to the sprocket.

This bit:

pffft, you'll be lucky if it's still in that nice of condition. Your's is gonna look more like this.

So unless you wanna split the cases yourself and put in an eBay countershaft, I'd probably just replace the sprocket and weld it back on, too.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yeah, that is a possibility. Looked a little for those shafts and looks like nos/oem stock is long gone.

Edit: isn't that failiure mode usually caused by either too hard metal in the sprocket vs the shaft or loose tolerances on the sprocket with depth and/or width of the contact groves?

Supradog fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 22, 2017

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah that's a bodge that goes permanent. Sucks but not a huge deal.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dunno, I swapped one out on a friend's xr600, and it seems to be an issue on a few of the 80s xr/xl's

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Hm, it's not totally gone from the marked, some places claim to have it in stock + I can get complete transmissions from scrapyards. Oh well. Winter project.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Got a Jagg fan assisted oil cooler installed.

This bike runs hotter than my last one, and since I commute about a half an hour to work, and it regularly gets above 105 here, I figured it would be a good investment. The fan behind the radiator kicks on once the oil reaches a certain temperature threshold. Only downside is now I can't install the crash bar I wanted. Oh well.

Next on the list are a new set of t-bars, fairing, 2-up seat, passenger pegs, highway pegs, and suspension, in that order.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
What are you planning for the suspension? Might want to do that upgrade before you add pegs and a pillion seat. Riding two up with a suspension that can't handle it is poo poo-tastic

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Haven't settled on a brand yet. I wanna do the seat and pegs first because it's going to be cheaper.

Edit: Also, the suspension I have currently will handle a passenger, but I want to go taller. 13.5.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Installed ktm duke oem handguards on the nx250

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Hey check out these cans! :q:

Arrow X-Kone silencer, wasn't too impressed with the Yoshimura, TBR, and other typical options widely available domestically for the new SV650 so I decided on something a bit more exotic. Sounds excellent of course and it just keeps getting better, I'm going to keep the DB-killer in until I get it inspected this weekend (not sure if it would even be a problem without in MA but I'd rather hold out two more days and not have to worry)*. I'll try to get some video of it in action if I'm satisfied with the recording quality (read: under load, not stationary and revving the poo poo out of it - that's what morons do! Man...and I thought car exhaust videos were bad).

Maybe I'm guilty of gravitating towards the 'I can't believe it's not a Ducati' look (or perhaps you could say I'm riding the Fiat 124 Spyder of motorcycles)...though personally I think it looks the business despite the criticism the SV has gotten for it's more classic, middle of the road approach in the styling department compared some of it's competition (I prefer a motorcycle that doesn't take styling cues from mecha anime, also 90° V-twin engine please).

Besides the last and only two-wheeled Italian motor vehicle I've ever owned is still stripped down and in unceremoniously gathered up pieces buried in the back corner of the garage where it's been left for a good four years now - so to be honest after going from that to experiencing the AK-47esque qualities of my 80s Honda dual sport it would take a Tamburini bike to coax me away from Japanese engineering and down that rakish path again.

*UPDATE* I couldn't help myself since the next two days are set to be a washout - the baffle has been removed...and now it really sounds loving tits. Thankfully it isn't too obnoxious to be constantly worried about :cop: or simply looking like an rear end in a top hat while simply trying to get around town. Coincidentally I passed 1000 mile tonite so I am now free per manufacturer's recommendations to rev it until the cows come home (another oil change might be wise to do prior to that). I hear the engine goes to 11...

Impkins Patootie fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 25, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think the new sv's look very sharp. Suzuki seems to nail every other generation of SV styling:

Gen 1 - Not bad per se, just meh
Gen 2 - Gorgeous
Gladius - lmao
Gen 3 (or is it 4?) - Nailed it

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
:whatup:

Impulse bought some screen edging while paying for the new tyre I didn't want. I know I made a good choice because it looks like it's always been there!

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

Put tank grips on it and rode a couple of hours. I can't understand why no bikes come with something like that from the factory.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

doppler posted:

Put tank grips on it and rode a couple of hours. I can't understand why no bikes come with something like that from the factory.

Because you don't buy a new motorcycle for something as mundane as a good ride. You buy it to look cool.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Bought shorty levers and bar ends. Should be able to put the levers on this week and maybe sort the wiring and light issues finally.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Renaissance Robot posted:

:whatup:

Impulse bought some screen edging while paying for the new tyre I didn't want. I know I made a good choice because it looks like it's always been there!

What bike is that? the back looks a ton like my ex500, but the front looks completely different and I don't have dual front discs.

Edit: also I'm diggin the windscreen :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
ZZR-600