Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Were Odin and Vishnu and Ra gonna appear in the clouds and give Jack a thumbs up?

That would have been pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Needed to be an hour long, also instead of the dumb delayed reaction McFlying Ashi should have disappeared instantly while all of Jack's friends crawl wounded out of their wreckage to comfort him and it starts raining or whatever. Then he goes back and defeats Aku, smiles sadly as he's crowned emperor and all the people from the first episode are there, ladybug scene unchanged.

The only problem of course would have been how exactly Jack would go back to the past. Ashi using Aku's power was actually pretty well set up and I don't know what alternative could have also been.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I mean more along the lines of "He just shows up, kills Aku, and that's it." It felt like a weak send-off for the main villain.

I think that's part of the point. Jack TRIED to finish Aku in style the first time (with that whole "I have defeated you this day" speech in the first episode)...and got his butt flung into the future for it. So you'd best believe he's going in guns blazing this time.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The only problem of course would have been how exactly Jack would go back to the past. Ashi using Aku's power was actually pretty well set up and I don't know what alternative could have also been.

Easy. The Guardian shows up, says "hey, I'm not dead", the portal re-activates (it was shown to have a conscious in the Guardian episode, so it could have just been faking it's own destruction), and then we cut to Jack appearing before Aku and trashing him just like he did this episode

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 21, 2017

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
If they were going to copy Gurren Lagann for the ending, then they should have copied the Anti-Spiral fight for the final fight too.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That reminds me, the Stone Samurai Statue getting rocked and all the robot crew dying was surprisingly brutal. They seemed to pull their punches a bit in the shots of Aku ravaging the army, not showing blood again the way they did with the Daughters vs. Jack, but that one was rough.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
lovely episode, but I loved every single scene of it that involved the Scotsman. I literally laughed out loud at his arrival to the fight.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
Ashi should have just fell ill and died over time because she was part Aku. Just having her fade away on the most dramatic moment felt cheap. The last scene got to me though.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah Jack...probably just shouldn't have been able to get back to the past. The whole beginning of the show is him rediscovering his mojo, but it feels weird for the goal he had from the jump to be fulfilled in such a straightforward way. And you can't even have him make the choice to stay, really, because that gets into the whole icky business of letting Aku's evil reign for however long just to let him stay with Ashi. So just foreclose the possibility of ever going back (all the time portals are gone!) and have Jack figure things out in the future.

Overall it was okay, but man what a step down from the taut economy of those first three or four episodes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im glad its finished now i can stop having sleepless saturdays waiting in the opposite timezone.

But its such an unsatisfying episode to end on.
Akus SHAPESHIFTING antics were cool as gently caress, so was the sheer eeriness of transformed Ashi, and the wedding sequence was some real good arting, I love it when the show 'devolves' to bold, straight, sharp lines of color.
Also goddamn that stone samurai. I laughed my rear end off when it just started wailing on Akus face.

It should have been a two parter tho

Final verdict:
A disappointment.

But a welcome one nonetheless :unsmith:

But Ill always have the first 3 episodes square in the middle of my heart
They were absolutely, unironically perfect in every single way.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 21, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I liked it a lot. A samurai's story tends to end in a sad or bittersweet way most of the time, so it fit rather well. I too would have liked some more time but it wasn't a dealbreaker.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Going into this after seeing the first nine episodes, the ONE thing I was hoping we could get was an epic showdown between Jack and Aku. But no, it's a comedic skirmish instead that lasts maybe a minute. Honestly the army bit was way more epic, and as cheesy as it was I admit I had a smile on my face the whole time. And Ashi dying was nice, but it just came far too late. It's just so weird to think about; the first three episodes were easily 10/10s, but it all just went downhill after, almost like the last seven episodes were written by a completely different team.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I feel like people wouldn't have been as disappointed with episodes 7-10, if the first three episodes of the season weren't so goddamn stellar. The season basically started as some of the best television I've watched in a year, but then petered out to just basic cartoon levels. :shrug:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There will always be the first 3 episodes for this at least.
Everyone watching Aku play the original FOOLISH SAMURAI WARRIOR intro was great however and I got a huge laugh out of it.

I really don't see why they couldn't of went with a happier ending after waiting so many years to finish, take out one of the earlier filler episodes and have it's 20 minutes added Jack defeating Aku in the future and don't just time-paradox away the future, kinda a depressing ending to have everyone just poof out of existence, especially when Jack sacrificed going into so many time portals during the series to go back and save the people helping him reach it.

Also apparently Jack doesn't need the sword when the power of LOVE is what can undo the evil that is Aku.

Dolash posted:

That reminds me, the Stone Samurai Statue getting rocked and all the robot crew dying was surprisingly brutal. They seemed to pull their punches a bit in the shots of Aku ravaging the army, not showing blood again the way they did with the Daughters vs. Jack, but that one was rough.

They were Robots in a fight scene, they knew what they were getting themselves into.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Needed to be an hour long, also instead of the dumb delayed reaction McFlying Ashi should have disappeared instantly while all of Jack's friends crawl wounded out of their wreckage to comfort him and it starts raining or whatever. Then he goes back and defeats Aku, smiles sadly as he's crowned emperor and all the people from the first episode are there, ladybug scene unchanged.

Seeing how many better possible alternatives there are to wrapping up the plot leads me to believe that the whole Jack/Ashi romantic relationship subplot should have just been scrapped entirely to make things more streamlined (especially with a limited budget).

It still feels really forced and mangled the rest of the plot and pacing as a consequence.

E: I get the feeling Genndy came up with Ashi early on in development as the new plot device that would resolve the story then tied everything around her. It's not that she's an inherently bad character, but that to try and squeeze in the romance overshadowed everything else and meant other already established elements that could've been used in a time crunch fell by the wayside, making the whole thing weak and hamfisted as a result. It's dead weight, story wise.

E2: Also, maybe I just don't understand how animation budgets and corporate attitudes work, but why would Lazzo - a purported diehard fan of Samurai Jack - basically give Genndy tablescraps in terms of financial and episodic budgeting?

That doesn't seem right to me; my gut tells me that the simpler answer is that Genndy and Co. were just bad at writing romantic relationships (which is understandable since Jack's character has always been that of a loner - which the team was much more familiar with writing - and well-done authentic romance is hard to pull off even for seasoned writers) but they felt for reason that they absolutely had to include the romance as the essential core the rest of the season and finale would pivot on (see above), so they forced it in.

It makes more sense if the Ashi/romance bit was considered a non-negotiable by Genndy super-early in development and kept on to the very end, when in reality it was a sloppy first draft idea that should've been scrapped and started over.

That's my guess, anyways.

Tl;Dr Genndy bad at writing romantic plots, but forced it in anyways; show suffered for it.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 21, 2017

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
now all we need is a samurai jack movie that gives us the new game+ best ending with some yin and yang poo poo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Why did jack have his eyes closed when he killed Aku?

Like he came back in time closed his eyes and never opened them.

He has his eyes closed a lot. Genndy takes a lot of influence from old movies and cartoons, from which "hero posing with squinty / closed eyes" is a trope.

Booty Pageant posted:

now all we need is a samurai jack movie that gives us the new game+ best ending with some yin and yang poo poo

Samurai Jack: 2.0 You Can (Not) Defeat Aku

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Two-way Bingo. (Yellow Triangles are arguable depending on the watcher.)

You forgot "something something time paradox" for what happened to Ashi.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

nerdbot posted:

Would it have been stupid if Ashi had used her powers to mass exodus everyone at that final battle out of Aku's future and into the safe past? Because now I'm thinking about how weird the ramifications of them just leaving everyone there are. At the very least the future deserved better closure than Jack and Ashi ollieing the gently caress out. They couldn't even kill Aku there first and say goodbye?

Mostly I wish the Scotsman was at the wedding somehow.

Let's all just assume that they are all preserved in an Aku-less future thanks to ~*~celtic magic~*~

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Ashi didn't necessarily have to die, you could just do something like the evil of Aku was purified by ~*~the power of love~*~ (as they kinda set up already) and now she has all his powers with none of the drawbacks, and now she can fix everything ruined by the future of Aku and revive all the people that just got murked and happily ever after, but wait! What about all the hundreds of people that got hosed over in the years between now and when Jack was sent to the future? You gotta get back, back to the past, but I can't come with you, noooooooooo!

Really, splitting the timeline is the only way this was ever not going to suck either for the people in the past or in the future. Like c'mon Genndy, Dragonball Z did this 30 years ago.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 21, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'll just pretend the show ended with ep 9. Very brave of Genndy to let Aku win like that!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
This was generally good. It was a bit cliched to have Aku defeated by the power of friendship, and Ashi freed by true love, but they didn't take it too far. The "Oh no." was priceless.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Didn't someone say Tartakovsky was trying to make a Samurai Jack movie for a while? Maybe that's why the first three episodes feel different and so closely interlinked.

That was the original plan, but it was shelved when Mako died.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Episode 8 felt like it was an inch away from Genndy physically stepping onto the screen and saying "I know some of you won't like it. I don't give a gently caress. This is my story, and I say Jack gets a girlfriend." So it honestly surprised me that he didn't allow Jack a happy ending with her. Though of course when they lingered so long on the 'happy life in the past' scenes I knew some shenanigans had to be coming.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I'm pretty much going to have to go with "that could have been a really great season if it was about twice as long."

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Meh, this ending was fine for me. Not great, but it was satisfying for an ending.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I like the idea of Aku's death being an anticlimax, that specific bit was perfect, but then it kept on anticlimaxing for a few more minutes and it kind of outwears its welcome.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
My god, episodes 2 and 3 are masterpieces.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

crimedog posted:

My god, episodes 2 and 3 are masterpieces.

Seriously. The fact that the show actually tackled the dilemma of having to kill humans head-on and came to the PROPER conclusion was genuinely mature in a way that just the newfound swearing and blood wouldn't cover alone - the answer wasn't "well I guess Jack has to be Batman now" but instead "they chose to try and kill you, it's not your fault if they lose the game of life and death." And the crows showed that the show had no interest in backing down on that position.

Which is exactly what makes the latter half of the season so disappointing, how immature it all is. I don't care that Jack and Ashi wound up together, but I do care that they did it in the midst of boner jokes and "tee hee the slugs ate Ashi's outfit but not the rest of her!"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I was hoping that Demongo would show up to help Jack in the final battle for no reason.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
One nice thing about the finale is that by reusing the original intro in the beginning Mako got to be in it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

porfiria posted:

Yeah Jack...probably just shouldn't have been able to get back to the past. The whole beginning of the show is him rediscovering his mojo, but it feels weird for the goal he had from the jump to be fulfilled in such a straightforward way. And you can't even have him make the choice to stay, really, because that gets into the whole icky business of letting Aku's evil reign for however long just to let him stay with Ashi. So just foreclose the possibility of ever going back (all the time portals are gone!) and have Jack figure things out in the future.

Overall it was okay, but man what a step down from the taut economy of those first three or four episodes.

But he's gotta get back. Back to the past. Samurai Jack. :colbert:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You forgot "something something time paradox" for what happened to Ashi.

True.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Pirate Jet posted:

Seriously. The fact that the show actually tackled the dilemma of having to kill humans head-on and came to the PROPER conclusion was genuinely mature in a way that just the newfound swearing and blood wouldn't cover alone - the answer wasn't "well I guess Jack has to be Batman now" but instead "they chose to try and kill you, it's not your fault if they lose the game of life and death." And the crows showed that the show had no interest in backing down on that position.

Which is exactly what makes the latter half of the season so disappointing, how immature it all is. I don't care that Jack and Ashi wound up together, but I do care that they did it in the midst of boner jokes and "tee hee the slugs ate Ashi's outfit but not the rest of her!"

The talking penis part was iconic bud.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Looking at this now, it's pretty clear, to me at least, that Episode 1-3 are probably the first half of the movie and the last 6 episodes were probably just fashioned from whatever Gennedy had planned.

Samurai Jack has always been a show where Time Travel was a plot point but never addressed paradoxies or any of the other bullshit minutiae that makes time travel utterly toxic to everything its a part of, so it's pretty disappointing that it, in one fell swoop, just makes all of Jack life just a legend that never technically happens.

That said I remember watching a behind the scenes//making of about Cowboy Bebop like 15 years ago and one of the directors basically said "You cannot tell an authentic Japanese myth or legend with a happy ending, because they don't exist. If you really want to be true to Japanese myths and culture, nothing comes without a price, nothing is ever easy, and people who expect rewards for their great deeds fundamentally don't understand what it means to be a hero." when asked about their own final episode, and that has been in the back of my mind all season. I knew, hell or high water, that something would make Samurai Jack's victory feel hollow or weird, i was just praying it was "Jack stays in the future to kill Aku, but killing Aku kills Ashi". This is probably the most authentically japanese way to end this story, and the show has always been grounded in Japanse myth, tradition, and custom, because that is what Gennedy set out to do.

Like, can you weigh out the suffering of those who were conquered by Aku vs the unilateral unmaking of he untold trillions of lifeforms in the Aku timeline? The terror of watching your entire world fade out from reality in slow motion like a powerpoint presentation switching slides? I'm gonna get a nosebleed lol.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not really sure why there was a big focus on Jack killing humans in the first place. It didn't even come into play for the rest of the season.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Edit: ^^^^ I thought it was setting up this dilemma of what Jack was willing to do to get back to the past, and whether a future tainted by Aku was worth saving. He justified killing the daughters because he needed to carry on his mission for the Greater Good, but taking risks to save Ashi ran against that goal (which his inner voice criticized him for). It seemed like a lead-up to him realizing that if Ashi can be saved from Aku, the rest of the future could be too, and he'd been blinded by his need to go back and fix his own mistake to see the value of the future he'd been saving for 50 years. But instead uhhhh...

raditts posted:

Let's all just assume that they are all preserved in an Aku-less future thanks to ~*~celtic magic~*~

I thought there was something unintentionally comedic about Future Aku realizing "Oh shiiiit he went back to the past!", because it showed the timeline continuing past Jack going back for a few seconds, so you're left with either a world where Aku is still in power and Jack's abandoned everyone or a world where Aku gets to go "Oh fu-" then be unmade alongside everyone.

There's just something strange about Jack returning to his old life. If they were going to go that route I wish they'd let Ashi live if only so something from his adventure would've lived on, except for Jack's memories nothing seems different for his journey than if he'd just struck Aku down in the first place. You could watch the first episode then the end of the last episode as a set and they'd probably work together fine, you wouldn't be missing anything.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 21, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like the idea of Aku's death being an anticlimax, that specific bit was perfect, but then it kept on anticlimaxing for a few more minutes and it kind of outwears its welcome.

I'm one of the people who was pretty firmly on the side of not wanting Samurai Jack to take a dive into discussing time travel pseudoscience, so Jack and Ashi ollieing out as soon as they realized the implications was also pretty great (and smart of them).

I'm still really surprised that there wasn't any reference to the future characters at all though. Like, even something as simple and brief as a shot of them living in a happy Aku-less future regardless if it makes any sense.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I liked it. Could have been a lot better, could have been a lot worse.

The parts with the Scotsman and his daughters are definitely what made it a lot better. I can see how people thought the ending was underwhelming, but was still pretty nice.

Aku accidentally causing his own undoing was perfect, though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They could of had it end where Jack defeats Aku in the future and then Ashi has to sacrifice herself to open the time portal and fully end Aku and Jack has to make the sacrifice to leave the reclaimed future and save the past and his family, and that way Ashi doesn't just go "oh time paradox" and poofs out.

You could even have the ending be Ashi making a memorial for Jack or finding his grave site as she begins the work in the future of cleaning up Aku's minions.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 21, 2017

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Echoing the thread sentiment that 5-1 through 5-3 were absolutely the strongest and best episodes of the season. Doesn't mean the remaining were bad though it was just way too much to cram into 10 episodes. And the artwork in the final scenes was incredible. So for me, a decent ending to it all.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Out of all the cameos I'm surprised they never referenced X9

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I was disappointed by the way things ended. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010