Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zesty posted:

I'm glad someone got it wrong because I was worried it was too easy.

Same, my husband and I both blurted out the answer about 2 seconds after the clue came up, and we're not even American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
RIP Nan, with the best hair!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zesty posted:

I'm glad someone got it wrong because I was worried it was too easy.

i've seen easier ones be triple stumpers. there was one not too long ago but i've forgotten what it was.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Glad for David, he was a great player and a great victory. His quarterfinal comeback win got me firmly on his side, and his showing in the first final game made it exciting. I got this Final almost immediately, but the previous one stumped me (as it did the two English teachers), which set up the possibility of David's win. Great tournament.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Nan's wager on Thursday helped a bit, too, because it made her gun-shy yesterday.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

CPColin posted:

Nan's wager on Thursday helped a bit, too, because it made her gun-shy yesterday.

She completely hosed up on Thursday.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
why was there a barely thematic opera clue in the middle of the bold and the beautiful category?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

She completely hosed up on Thursday.
She tried to imitate Alex Jacob from his TOC final.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Soothing Vapors posted:

why was there a barely thematic opera clue in the middle of the bold and the beautiful category?

Maybe something went wrong at the last minute and they couldn't use the taped scene for the original clue.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The Bold and the Beautiful clues done by the cast are my favourite Jeopardy thing by so far.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Bullshit Jeopardy, that's not the name of the song!

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Has anyone else tried the new Jeopardy app that's sponsoring this year's tryout? I don't like how you have to perfectly Forrest bounce twice in order to have any hope of winning a game.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
what the heck does Forrest bounce mean

I downloaded the new mobile game but it was too intensive for my cheap old phone so it was hella laggy and I gave up and deleted it. that's my story

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

There was a contestant named Forrest that picked his category/$ randomly instead of sticking to one category and going down the dollar amounts.

The theory is it breaks the other contestants rhythm.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also daily doubles are likely in the middle values of the board so if you're maximizing money (or do the lame arthur chu thing and just wager 5 bucks and say "don't know" to sports clues cuz you're a giant nerd to keep those out of the hands of your opponents) you don't just go straight down.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Goober Peas posted:

There was a contestant named Forrest that picked his category/$ randomly instead of sticking to one category and going down the dollar amounts.

The theory is it breaks the other contestants rhythm.

Chuck Forrest, who was a superchamp (back when you could only win a max of 5 games in a row on the show before you got sent off with a prize) in like the 3rd Season of the Trebek era. He originally did it to throw opponents off of their game, as only he would know where he was heading next. DD hunting as a motivation hadn't occurred to him at the point he was doing it, but once it got picked up by other successful competitors, it got added to the reasons for doing it. Forrest made it to the semi-finals of the Battle of the Decades doing his thing, but of course Jennings and Rutter overtook him.

It just pisses me off when the peanut gallery gets angry at recent champs employing the tactic because it seems to work (Arthur Chu, Matt Jackson, and Alex Jacob come to mind) and insist that going straight down categories is somehow mandatory and any deviation is against the spirit of the game, when Chuck Forrest first did it in the 80s.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

as a viewer it sucks poo poo that's why they don't like it. there's a difficulty progression to the clues and there's a better flow when you go from lowest to highest value in a category. it's also cool when someone runs a category.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

as a viewer it sucks poo poo that's why they don't like it. there's a difficulty progression to the clues and there's a better flow when you go from lowest to highest value in a category. it's also cool when someone runs a category.

I can get that, but contestants are there to win money, not make a good show. If Forrest Bouncing works out well for them, then tough poo poo. I didn't do it myself, but people acting like successful contestants are pissing all over the traditions of Jeopardy by doing so irks the hell outta me.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 27, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I for one would go across with the easy row, then go across with the hard row, then across on the middle row, then go random the rest of the way :colbert:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
As a viewer I'm very entertained by someone using a strategy to kick rear end and piss off whiners on the internet.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's not even that difficult if you have basic listening skills and know what category is being picked.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Has Alex ever given the wrong answer for the chosen clue? (Like grabbing the $400 answer when the $800 one was chosen)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Reminder that online tests are tonight and the next two days.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm probably going to do it tonight, if I remember.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Hooooo boy did I botch that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I probably got in the low 30s as usual.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I had a 3-1 lead going into those last few questions...

They were brutal this time

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The only thing I actually know (Geography and sometimes science) had the easiest loving questions ever.

WHAT IS THE CAPITAL OF UKRAINE?

WHAT IS THE TABLE THAT ORDERS ELEMENTS CALLED?

And then everything else was like LOL nope. I think I maybe got in the low-mid 30s. I'll check it when jboards puts the answers up.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
I feel like I crushed that? There were a couple I definitely whiffed (Tom Sawyer's girlfriend) but I feel like I went over 35

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I can't believe I blanked on "Pokémon Go"

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

I can't believe I blanked on "Pokémon Go"

Ah hell, I put Super Mario Run. I just realized it said "real life".

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ahaha I can't believe immigration and citizenship is actually homeland security, I'm Canadian and had no idea so I just wrote that down as a "meh who the gently caress knows?"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I blanked on Oliver Twist. I mean it was a tough test and I got a lot wrong but that one is the one that ticked me off because I remembered it but ran out of time.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think I did OK but I almost misspelled "blue" so who knows. Easier than the one I got last year where I was definitely short of 35 but harder than the two or three years before where I got around 42 or so. There's always a really wide variance across the three tests like they're not trying too hard to balance it.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I took the test last time it was offered, is it too soon for me to take it this time?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Mike Danger posted:

Ah hell, I put Super Mario Run. I just realized it said "real life".

I picked PacMan from April Fool's this year.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

skaboomizzy posted:

I took the test last time it was offered, is it too soon for me to take it this time?

I think you only get disqualified if you actually make it into the audition process, I've done it both last year and just now.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Cool, I'll try it tomorrow then.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Full answer list!

https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=248616#p248616

I got 41.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal