Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It's pretty funny how many people who say they are afraid of/dislike/literally allergic to fruit and vegetables can somehow still eat pizza which has tomato on it, or tomato ketchup.

One of my friends claims that fruit literally makes her throat close up because of her allergies, but somehow she manages to eat pizza and put ketchup on chips.

When I used to wait tables, I once had a woman go on a several minute long rant about how she absolutely, one hundred percent could not have gluten. She then ordered the sweet potato fries, and when I told her they had a flour coating, she gave me a dirty look and said "well a little bit shouldn't hurt".

Pretty sure I quit that job because the strain of not rolling my eyes was giving me migraines. There was also the woman who was ~deathly allergic~ to green bell peppers, though red were fine.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 17:47 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

It's pretty funny how many people who say they are afraid of/dislike/literally allergic to fruit and vegetables can somehow still eat pizza which has tomato on it, or tomato ketchup.

One of my friends claims that fruit literally makes her throat close up because of her allergies, but somehow she manages to eat pizza and put ketchup on chips.

On one hand, I can see someone with an actual phobia managing to cope with eating processed things that aren't recognisable as vegetables, and only really being stressed out by greenery if they can actually recognise what it was. You might know that your chips used to live in the ground (at least, I hope you'd know), but your fear-addled brain doesn't recognise that the food you're eating used to be something as threatening as a potato until it actually sees something that looks like a potato. Sliced veg, leafy greens, roasted peppers, all that stuff is immediately recognisable as part of a plant, smooth sauces and deep fried reformed artificial shapes are not.

On the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to assume that someone who claimed the above was just being a giant baby about vegetables, and if you have allergies then obviously this bullshit is no excuse. You'd have an actual reaction either way. As an aside, I used to work at a Subway with a girl who claimed her allergies changed from day to day, claimed it was something to do with her medication but I don't know if any medication can do that? One day she put tomatoes in her own sandwich, took two bites, and decided that she was allergic to tomatoes that day.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

That translation is bad but also vulgar enough that it fits the bill.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm allergic to coconut which is quite funny because they started using palm oil in everything because of all the people allergic to peanuts. I don't eat processed food anymore because of it.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
the greatest sagas of SA forums: something as threatening as a potato

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Maybe it's so diluted that it's no enough to set off her allergy unlike just biting into one?

For me it's all texture. The bits of tomato skin in sauce will set me off. Not that I like the taste anyway. The only pizza I like is fat pizza hut where the sauce is like a tenth of any slice.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the greatest allergies of the sa forums

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Maybe it's so diluted that it's no enough to set off her allergy unlike just biting into one?

For me it's all texture. The bits of tomato skin in sauce will set me off. Not that I like the taste anyway. The only pizza I like is fat pizza hut where the sauce is like a tenth of any slice.

congratulations on being hyper goony

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Maybe plants killed her family. Though in that case I would think eating them would be the best revenge.

Does like, Baby Groot freak you out, OP?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If I had to touch him, sure

Spanish Manlove posted:

Lol that's only have of it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

If I had to touch him, sure

Lol that's only have of it.

Go on

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

lol you don't have a phobia

learnincurve posted:

I'm allergic to coconut which is quite funny because they started using palm oil in everything because of all the people allergic to peanuts. I don't eat processed food anymore because of it.

drat tard

you mean that you eat only raw food?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK the least great saga of SA forums is picking on NUDE SHIA GIRL about not eating whatever in this thread.

e: Also: turpa kiinni kissa äiä

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Hogge Wild posted:

drat tard

I have a friend in a similar position. She ends up making most of her food from scratch herself because of how prevalant palm oil is these days. Then again she's a hippy dippy type that enjoys the all natural type of life, even going as far as making homemade cheeses for "fun".

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm allergic to life. Which is ironic, because I don't want to be dead.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
...making cheese is fun...

Cooking is fun.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

food is nice and picky eaters are dumb as heck

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

food is nice and picky eaters are dumb as heck

Don't be a meanie.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Eat less trash, morons.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Eat less trash, morons.

[zizek_image_macro.gif]

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Hogge Wild posted:

lol you don't have a phobia

drat tard

? Not raw raw, you can cook the food. Not only is palm and peanut oil used as ingredients, they are used as a lubricant within the food industry so it's everywhere now. It just means I have to buy from butchers* and farmers markets and dinner takes longer to make these days.

*not pork products though, Mr LC works on a pig farm so I get an unlimited supply of delicious pig for free.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

I have a friend in a similar position. She ends up making most of her food from scratch herself because of how prevalant palm oil is these days. Then again she's a hippy dippy type that enjoys the all natural type of life, even going as far as making homemade cheeses for "fun".

yeah i understand allergies, but food that has even been cut in some way is processed food

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

? Not raw raw, you can cook the food. Not only is palm and peanut oil used as ingredients, they are used as a lubricant within the food industry so it's everywhere now. It just means I have to buy from butchers* and farmers markets and dinner takes longer to make these days.

*not pork products though, Mr LC works on a pig farm so I get an unlimited supply of delicious pig for free.

cooked food is processed food

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hogge Wild posted:

cooked food is processed food

The problem is that the food is being processed by someone else who is adding an ingredient they're allergic to. What's hard to understand?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Jerry Cotton posted:

turpa kiinni kissa äiä

what does lady marmalade have to do with this

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

sweeperbravo posted:

what does lady marmalade have to do with this

i want nothing more than to hear a finnish cover of lady marmalade

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
In American nomenclature processed food is factory-cooked / pre-made food, stuff like hot pockets. Most people in Europe (not counting the UK, the 51st state), in my experience, don't consume this kind of thing in any significant quantities and so processed just means "thermally processed", ie. "cooked".

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Somehow, this seems like a monkey's paw scenario

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Have a Hebrew version of Cell Block Tango, instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVvse42ezvk

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is the german version of pink elephants, sleep well tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJyFhs_Vyvs

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRmGtALYW5Y

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Surprisingly enough, the closest I can do is a Finn singing Yes Sir, I Can Boogie in German.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Crow Jane posted:

When I used to wait tables, I once had a woman go on a several minute long rant about how she absolutely, one hundred percent could not have gluten. She then ordered the sweet potato fries, and when I told her they had a flour coating, she gave me a dirty look and said "well a little bit shouldn't hurt".

Pretty sure I quit that job because the strain of not rolling my eyes was giving me migraines. There was also the woman who was ~deathly allergic~ to green bell peppers, though red were fine.

I feel like you could have legal protection if you refused to serve them that. "No sorry but in all good conscious I can not serve you something that I know will harm you, here is a list of our wonderful gluten free options".

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Surprisingly enough, the closest I can do is a Finn singing Yes Sir, I Can Boogie in German.

Recorded this for some GBS thread back in the day.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Paladinus posted:

You may want to make sure you have backups for everything you've put up there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Paladinus posted:

:trumppop:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You may want to make sure you have backups for everything you've put up there.

This banner has been displayed there for at least a year. I doubt there are many buyers, but I also don't think it's going to go down soon. It looks like goons and Homestuck fans are the only people who still use it, so it doesn't cost much to maintain. But I do have everything on my computer.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Proving my point about the monkey's paw thing, guys

Telsa Cola posted:

I feel like you could have legal protection if you refused to serve them that. "No sorry but in all good conscious I can not serve you something that I know will harm you, here is a list of our wonderful gluten free options".

Ehhh, you learn pretty quickly to seperate the genuine allergies from the people who seem to think food weirdness is an endearing personality trait. Someone who has a serious seafood or peanut allergy doesn't make a big deal of it like that, because they're kinda sick of the spiel at this point and would rather just be able to eat the drat things.

Plus in a business where you're dependant on tips, it's best to just keep your mouth shut, even though some people make it really difficult. Picky eaters are usually thoroughly mocked out of earshot, fwiw

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If people ask me I tell them I don't like to eat orange food. It always leads to an amusing game where they try to guess an orange food I will eat to prove me wrong, despite the entire idea being completely batshit to begin with. Thanks for listening to my important food contribution to the greatest sagas thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghostlight posted:

If people ask me I tell them I don't like to eat orange food. It always leads to an amusing game where they try to guess an orange food I will eat to prove me wrong, despite the entire idea being completely batshit to begin with. Thanks for listening to my important food contribution to the greatest sagas thread.

Orange ya glad you shared this with us?