Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

large hands posted:

I've built condos where the kitchen cupboards weren't wide enough from back to front to lay a dinner plate flat, you'd have to stand them on edge on a rack or something.

My new kitchen only has one drawer sized for utensils. Spatulas and other cooking implements? Nope! Also, we hope you like storing your plastic wrap, etc. in a useless loving cabinet because we're retarded and afraid of drawers!

I want to find who designed my kitchen and administer a thrashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

RBC posted:

the typical goon buys flour from amazon because theyre too lazy to go to a store

When I can buy something from amazon for cheaper than a store, it ships for free and arrives the same day why *should* I go to a store?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

ductonius posted:

When I can buy something from amazon for cheaper than a store, it ships for free and arrives the same day why *should* I go to a store?

lmao

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

My new kitchen only has one drawer sized for utensils. Spatulas and other cooking implements? Nope! Also, we hope you like storing your plastic wrap, etc. in a useless loving cabinet because we're retarded and afraid of drawers!

Dude your place sounds lovely. Sell before the market tanks completely. Even a modest four figure loss at this point sounds like the least worst option.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

RBC posted:

If you buy 2 $4 lattes 365 days a year (which is completely absurd) that amounts to $2920 / year in order to afford a 5% downpayment ONLY on the average home in Canada (559,317 * .05 = 27965.85) It would take TEN YEARS of saving that ridiculous coffee money to afford.

Of course the downpayment needed for this average home isn't going to grow at all in those ten years of no Lattes.

large hands posted:

I've built condos where the kitchen cupboards weren't wide enough from back to front to lay a dinner plate flat, you'd have to stand them on edge on a rack or something.

Well obviously they don't need to actually use kitchen because they are constantly brunching on avacado toast. It all makes sense now.

I would never argue that people don't need to look at adjusting their lifestyle to try and save for a downpayment. But the idea that the boomer generation just bootstrapped themselves in equally difficult circumstances just isn't true. This whole boomer vs millennial thing I think comes from it being much easier to make jokes about entitled millennials with avo toast and lattes vs hard working bootstrapping boomers than it is to actually look at the massive unaffordability problems there are for young people.

My wife and I saved for a downpayent 10 years ago around when we were starting our careers and it took us around 3 years to save the downpayment for the condo we bought in Vancouver. That place would cost more than double that now and the equivalent wages are sure as hell not double that for entry level positions today.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

PT6A posted:

Thank you for the hourly reminder that you can afford property.

I'm starting to think you have a gimmick persona for canada related threads because your posts everywhere else are usually reasoned and not dumb :iiam:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
PT6A is the Canadian threads avocado that the millennial posters cannot help but spread on toast by quoting his opinions constantly.

Imagine how great these threads would be if people stopped doing just that one simple thing.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ocrumsprug posted:

PT6A is the Canadian threads avocado that the millennial posters cannot help but spread on toast by quoting his opinions constantly.

Imagine how great these threads would be if people stopped doing just that one simple thing.

I would take 10 PT6As if it meant smoke sumthin bitch being banned from all Canada related threads until the heat death of the universe. :colbert:

They now measure Barrie's housing cost increases by month instead of annually because of how fast its going up. Also the city is now up to the 5th most expensive place to rent in Canada. :tif:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
My boomer parents could afford basically anything they wanted, whenever they wanted it without thinking twice about it on a single income from a union job that my father quite literally walked into with nothing but a high school education. He worked that job for almost 30 years, then retired early with a pension in order to gently caress off and putter around the (enormous) second house he had built in his home town. When I look at what they had vs. what I have (despite going to university and having a really good job) the difference is insane. Ever individual piece of my Dad's life is utterly unfathomable to me (union job, same job his whole life, pension, job with a high school education, etc.). Taking it as a whole is like reading about someone from another goddamn planet.

My point is get the goddamn gently caress outta here if you wanna peddle bullshit "Buuuhhh if only millenials X" horse poo poo. :getout:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Guest2553 posted:

Thank you for the hourly reminder that you can afford property.

I'm starting to think you have a gimmick persona for canada related threads because your posts everywhere else are usually reasoned and not dumb :iiam:

Yeah god forbid we discuss owning property and why it's a terrible idea and I regret this deeply, in the Canada debt thread.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

leftist heap posted:

My boomer parents could afford basically anything they wanted, whenever they wanted it without thinking twice about it on a single income from a union job that my father quite literally walked into with nothing but a high school education. He worked that job for almost 30 years, then retired early with a pension in order to gently caress off and putter around the (enormous) second house he had built in his home town. When I look at what they had vs. what I have (despite going to university and having a really good job) the difference is insane. Ever individual piece of my Dad's life is utterly unfathomable to me (union job, same job his whole life, pension, job with a high school education, etc.). Taking it as a whole is like reading about someone from another goddamn planet.

My point is get the goddamn gently caress outta here if you wanna peddle bullshit "Buuuhhh if only millenials X" horse poo poo. :getout:
My Grandfather owned a large house on a huge property near Trout Lake in Vancouver and worked on a line at a jam plant. They sold it in the 90s to move in to assisted care living places.

We've been looking at similar houses in the same area and they are not affordable to us as a couple with a household income of $400k.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 21, 2017

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
The fact that there are actually a few people that post in this thread that aren't just scraping by who are also freaking out about how overpriced housing is in much of Canada is a net good imo, but I'm biased b/c I'm one of them.

In a sane market making more than 90% of Canadians and (generally) being pretty frugal should put me firmly in "can afford a SFH in Mississauga" range but it doesn't and if this doesn't terrify you then I don't know what to say.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 21, 2017

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

It's okay to rent. You don't have to buy a house or a condo.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PhilippAchtel posted:

Yeah! It *is* a bubble that's​ (on the west coast) a solid 3-4+ years past sanity.

Rent is dead cheap for high earners. Sure, it's a bit higher than fifteen years ago but so what?

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

PhilippAchtel posted:

Utter heresy. You must be not be Canadian. How can you have any pride of ownership?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

PhilippAchtel posted:

It's not just ok, it's probably the smart move right now, at least in the GTA. For all my grousing I could buy a condo (again), but the numbers don't make it appealing.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Right, so maybe we can nip in the bud the discussions of "My (humble brag) multiple times over six figure income can't afford the home I want." It's reminding me of that wall street journal article of the family making $450k sad because their taxes were going up.

Off to the guillotine with you!

At the same time, it's okay to admit millenials are looking at a worse standard of living than their parents and grandparents, which is pretty sad.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

EvilJoven posted:

Haha like the average millennial has space in their micro suite for Costco sized purchases. There's no point for them to make the two transfer bus trip and twenty minute walk from the bus stop when a single jar of peanut butter would fill their pantry.

How much money could I make creating a Costco membership-sharing app? Pay me a 10% markup and I'll split the cost of any purchases I make at Costco. Disruption!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Remember when Rime was unemployed and armed revolution was the only answer

Now it's stop eating out and save your money like ol Rimeybags, lazy entitled kids

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I hope when the revolution happens my history of donating money to causes that alleviate poverty in Canada at least earn me a quick and painless execution. :unsmith:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

Unfortunately here actually renting something is becoming impossible as well if you don't want to spend 3k a month renting a two bedroom place.

And the most ludicrous part of it is that 3k is STILL less than the mortgage payment on that place would be.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I've been enjoying what disposable income I have with my well paying new job before it all gets vacuumed up by the monthly $900 student loan payments that I'll be starting next week :homebrew:

sitchensis fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 21, 2017

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
My rent is 1800. If I bought the same unit in my building with 100k down the mortgage alone would still be 1900 per month. Taxes and maintenance fees add another $600 or so per month, and this does not include utilities so I'm paying those either way. The numbers are better if you look at smaller units than mine but it's still not worth it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Education
Retirement
Children
Cappuccinos

gently caress, now I see where I went wrong in not saving up for a house. All my money was going towards coffee!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Millennials should stop drinking avocado lattes so they'll be able to afford bigger guillotines.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seriously, though, what should a well-off late gen Xer do to make things better? I vote NDP and endow (small) scholarships, but that's not going to move the needle. Is there individual action by a member of the problematic class that can make a real difference?

(Nielsen thinks I'm a millennial, adorably.)

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

seize the means of production, comrade

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Subjunctive posted:

Seriously, though, what should a well-off late gen Xer do to make things better? I vote NDP and endow (small) scholarships, but that's not going to move the needle. Is there individual action by a member of the problematic class that can make a real difference?

Kill the rich? Oh, wait....

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rime posted:

Kill the rich? Oh, wait....

If I die then my daughter and ex-wife get it, so I'm not sure that would help even if it were palatable.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I at least would like to thank you for the thought, even though I'm totally at a loss for what any one individual could reasonably do.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

HookShot posted:

Unfortunately here actually renting something is becoming impossible as well if you don't want to spend 3k a month renting a two bedroom place.

And the most ludicrous part of it is that 3k is STILL less than the mortgage payment on that place would be.

Yeah, why rent a place for 3k to a couple when you can put people 4 to a room and make 6k+.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Ok, the ending to that movie was weird, right?"
"Yeah, I don't get what the good guy was thinking."
"I know! He's about to die and then he tells the bad guy 'if you kill me you'll have to kill my whole family, too' and it's like uhh, maybe just give the dude your money instead of sending them after your kid."

Subjunctive posted:

If I die then my daughter and ex-wife get it, so I'm not sure that would help even if it were palatable.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Rime posted:

Yeah, actually. Say for the past ten years I'd taken my excess monthly income and, instead of blowing it on frivolous bullshit, put it in a savings account, I'd be able to buy a house almost anywhere in BC right now.

- Baseline living costs of $1100

- After-tax take-home of $2442 for 7 years. (pre-tax $36k-$38k, a very average wage anywhere in BC. Working class, to say the least).

This leaves us with, and let's leave some room to enjoy life, $1200 a month to sock away: That's $144k in savings over a decade if it's just sitting in a lovely 1.2% "high interest" savings account, rather than in something with marginally greater return like GIC or gently caress even just handed over to a mutual fund. The only place you'll come up short with that stockpile is a detached single family home in Vancouver or Toronto. Shockingly, it is, actually, really entitled to think you should be able to afford that kind of house in that kind of location, by 30, if you're making what are basically poverty wages in 2017.

But I also didn't save that money, nor did the vast majority of anyone else my age, because it's real loving easy to blow through a grand a month when you live in a Canadian city in your twenties.

Come off it, man, you can't hand wave away how much this generation has poo poo all over it's own bed and cried about it.

That's true. Cutting down on consumer spending has always been traditionally great for economies. Ballooning costs of shelter, transport, and other basic non-negotiable requirements in life causing people to cut expenditure elsewhere isn't a loving drain on an economy at all!

Watch this, and stop thinking of everything in terms of individual morality tales instead of aggregate outcomes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6vV8_uQmxs&t=2542s (at 42:22, he's talking reduced salaries but the same principle applies re: cutting expenditure)

People want to own their own property because rent is pissing money into the ether and most jobs are in the big cities. What are you even talking about dude?

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 21, 2017

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

"Ok, the ending to that movie was weird, right?"
"Yeah, I don't get what the good guy was thinking."
"I know! He's about to die and then he tells the bad guy 'if you kill me you'll have to kill my whole family, too' and it's like uhh, maybe just give the dude your money instead of sending them after your kid."

Ya I doubt if things get so bad that people are literally killing the rich your ex wife and kid are going to be waiting around for the estate to be settled. They'll be running for their lives. When the heads were rolling in France nobody was sticking around to see if they'd be the one to ascend to the throne once the dust settled.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Ya I doubt if things get so bad that people are literally killing the rich your ex wife and kid are going to be waiting around for the estate to be settled. They'll be running for their lives. When the heads were rolling in France nobody was sticking around to see if they'd be the one to ascend to the throne once the dust settled.

The 16,000 people killed during the Reign of Terror would like to disagree.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Subjunctive posted:

Jesus man, I meant you aren't the type to be a class traitor. No need to get dark. :stonk:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rime posted:

Jesus man, I meant you aren't the type to be a class traitor. No need to get dark. :stonk:

I think it's probably time to get a bit dark, societally.

EvilJoven posted:

I dunno, they're a lot cuter and more unassuming than me. I think they could make it.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Am I the only one that doesn't think there is going to be some sort of violent uprising in Canada any time soon?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

mashed_penguin posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't think there is going to be some sort of violent uprising in Canada any time soon?

i don't think we are heading for a violent uprising because i think most canadians will go to their (mass) graves insisting it's not politically viable to protect labour from capital so of course we should support the corporate waste elimination squads