Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zurui posted:

I love that even in this tiny, incestuous hobby we can't help but factionalize further.

Most of the tabletop people don't really talk about board games much, as made obvious by how rarely board games come up in the chat thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Gobbeldygook posted:

Leftist splits! SA has two movie forums possibly solely because of one CineD poster.

...what? Really?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think an analysis of RPGs through the lens of dialectic materialism would at least be mildly interesting

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zurui posted:

...what? Really?

SMG's gimmick is being a tedious wanker and a lot of people got in on the act.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Zurui posted:

...what? Really?
Yes. SuperMechaGodzilla is a very prolific CineD poster who haunts nerd movie threads. Blockbuster Video basically exists so people can discuss Star Wars without him and those who engage with him. Here are a few examples; I promise I am not cherry picking.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's nothing more than the Hedgehog/Prower phenomenon of ostensibly adult characters engaged in prolonged and intense bouts of presexual intimacy.

FN and Poe - despite being twenty- and thirty-somethings, respectively - are several steps behind Matthew Broderick's teen hacker in Wargames, who tentatively explores how it feels to take his shirt off in front of a girl.

For fans, the actual erotic appeal comes from the fact that Sonic The Hedgehog does not gently caress. Ever. He achieves full satisfaction just by staring at you with his massive hypersensitive eyes, and passionately filling his rounded belly with chilidogs. Poe and FN, likewise, will never move beyond hugging and trying on eachothers' clothes. They have no need to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's the opposite of what I said. The exact problem is that Aliens is 'iconic', and nobody actually reads it. It's the Superman problem. It's Mickey Mouse. It's an institutional film, only spoken of through adulation. It's the kind of film where the first thing you hear about it is its Academy Award.

The problem is the reduction of a film to 'good pacing' and 'likeable characters', as if movies are a chore to be dispensed with quickly and painlessly. It's this skewed prioritization that gave us borderline-incomprehensible hits like Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens. It's part of the trend of viewing films as therapy - a source of role models in empowerment narratives, and evaluated in those terms.

80s kids see Optimus Prime as a father figure.

That you can slot Vasquez or whoever into any film should be a harsh criticism. Cliched characters are one thing - but without a context you have a concept, not a character. Even the protagonist is a jot-note. (Underlined on the pad: "Trauma/Motherhood?")

I don't have huge problems with the film itself, mind, but nobody likes the film itself. And then, both the culture and the dialogue surrounding it are garbage. RIP Bill Paxton.
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Edit: I want to emphasize that the first post is from the Star Wars thread and is about Star Wars.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 21, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i can't believe there are people who hate SMG

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Everything in the second post is absolutely true

I mean it's really loving mean, especially in the context of who he's talking to (which is why it got him probated) but still correct

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Lol if you like SMG.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Everything in the second post is absolutely true
Everything SMG says is true.

He just says it in absolutely horrible ways, incessantly, to people who wouldn't be open to hearing it. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad gimmick, but it's interesting enough.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/brentraptor/status/866064809527267328

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Hold mouse :3:

Borking sphere :shittydog:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Well, I know what's gonna be in my next wizard's spellbook.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

So is the orc casting Hold Mouse or does the spell summon an orc to gently hold a mouse for you

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ZeroCount posted:

So is the orc casting Hold Mouse or does the spell summon an orc to gently hold a mouse for you

it summons a mouse and compels the enemy to hold it for you

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yes. SuperMechaGodzilla is a very prolific CineD poster who haunts nerd movie threads. Blockbuster Video basically exists so people can discuss Star Wars without him and those who engage with him. Here are a few examples; I promise I am not cherry picking.

Edit: I want to emphasize that the first post is from the Star Wars thread and is about Star Wars.

To be fair, he laid a lot of little eggs that hatched and overran the forum for a few years. That's where the super condescending rules thread came from before that old mod was chased off the forums for being insufferable and worse at movie reviews than FYAD.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
He is right in that Finn and Poe could definitely be hornier on screen and at all times but at the same time maybe it's alright because it's a children's movie for children.

Edit: one time in a superhero game our gm sent us to star wars because dimension hopping and I froze time on Darth Vader to steal his light saber and it was the only time at a role-playing table that I felt uncool

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 21, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

smg usually has good or at the very least interesting points, just presented at an unorthodox angle

like, tfa absolutely has a problem of character development and relationships to each other mostly just existing as a framework to hop from one set piece to the next especially in comparison to every other star wars film

but only smg would think to connect that to sonic the hedgehog and god bless him for that

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SMG is terrible, CineD is terrible and I'm glad that BBV and PHIZ exist so I can talk about movies without having to be with the kind of subhuman that overanalyzes Marvel movies (even as a joke)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Honestly, all of the SMG imitators are worse because SMG clearly has academic experience doing what he does, even if he hasn't read Zizek's full body of work but will defend him anyway.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Elfgames posted:

it summons a mouse and compels the enemy to hold it for you

It enables the target to hold a mouse regardless of the target's size and strength modifier. So in the picture, the wizard had cast it on the orc so that he could pick it up without having to make a check to avoid accidentally crushing it.

Also the size of the mouse doesn't matter, so you could cast it on a gnome to enable her to hold a dire mouse.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Forum question: would RPG stuff for sale go here or in SA-Mart? Helping my friends offload a crapton of books.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tsilkani posted:

Forum question: would RPG stuff for sale go here or in SA-Mart? Helping my friends offload a crapton of books.

whichever. probably DM ettin before making a thread though

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I feel like we could stand to have a buy/sell/trade thread somewhere for old RPG books or tabletop games.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cease to Hope posted:

whichever. probably DM ettin before making a thread though
Full campaign or will a oneshot do?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yesterday one of my players gave us that coveted moment of excitement you get when you experience something you've only ever heard of by rolling three critical hits in a row. Then turn order moved on to the next player, who made an attack and also rolled a critical hit.

share your tales of statistical improbability

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tsilkani posted:

I successfully sold some books in SA-Mart so I think that would be the best place with a notice posted here.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yesterday one of my players gave us that coveted moment of excitement you get when you experience something you've only ever heard of by rolling three critical hits in a row. Then turn order moved on to the next player, who made an attack and also rolled a critical hit.

Worst kind of roleplay story in my opinion

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

starkebn posted:

Worst kind of roleplay story in my opinion

:whitewater:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Gobbeldygook posted:

These posts are amazing.

However, I really appreciate the splitoff "SMG isn't allowed to be mean to us here" forum because of posts like these: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3801771&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post467821018

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I rolled three natural ones in a row on the same check in my first extended 3.5e campaign.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I hate Google for being dicks about third party app auths, that is all.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

cinema discusso, an intellectual place where people discuss stimulating films, like star wars, and superman vs batman, and the transformers

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Alaois posted:

cinema discusso, an intellectual place where people discuss stimulating films, like star wars, and superman vs batman, and the transformers

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803460

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Alaois posted:

He said on a forum dedicated to pretending to be an elf

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ominous Jazz posted:

He said on a forum dedicated to pretending to be an elf

Yeah but at least I'm not serious about it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Countblanc posted:

Most of the tabletop people don't really talk about board games much, as made obvious by how rarely board games come up in the chat thread.

My real life friends discuss board games with me. But I'm the only GM I know In real life.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah but at least I'm not serious about it.

Leave that dejected irony at the door, we are going deep in the sincerity when we pretend to be an elf.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alaois posted:

James Hardon posted:

there's a book barn thread called the black library which i had always assumed was a black authors megathread but it's actually about warhammer novels

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

DalaranJ posted:

My real life friends discuss board games with me. But I'm the only GM I know In real life.

Well I specifically meant here. Most people I know who play one irl play the other, though there's definitely a trend where the ones who plays a lot of RPGs plays poo poo board games and the ones deep in board games only know about 3.5e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Countblanc posted:

Well I specifically meant here. Most people I know who play one irl play the other, though there's definitely a trend where the ones who plays a lot of RPGs plays poo poo board games and the ones deep in board games only know about 3.5e.

There's got to be somebody out there who plays both and has like, the most poo poo tastes in both board games and RPGs and I shudder to think what their shelf has to look like.

• Locked thread