Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
John Paxson is the most infuriating motherfucker in this organization. Because whenever he speaks he seems to loving get it. Like you listen to him talk and he clearly doesn't like the direction of the team. Then nothing changes. Gar stays on. The coach that he couldn't say a single loving nice thing about at the end season press conference stays on and nothing changes

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Is the general consensus that Wade and Rondo come back?

Wade most assuredly is unless they trade Jimmy. And even then 25 million is a lot to turn down. Rondo likely is too because he was the only NBA caliber PG on the team last year.

DeimosRising posted:

Celtics Slightly West is not a terrible fate but I don't know if the Bulls have the parts to avoid a full tank in the next few years.

JB is good enough to carry a team alone to the playoffs as this year proved. Jimmy sells tickets. The Bulls are gonna run him into the ground use him up and then assasinate him in the media like they do all their stars.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dexo posted:

John Paxson is the most infuriating motherfucker in this organization. Because whenever he speaks he seems to loving get it. Like you listen to him talk and he clearly doesn't like the direction of the team. Then nothing changes. Gar stays on. The coach that he couldn't say a single loving nice thing about at the end season press conference stays on and nothing changes

Wade most assuredly is unless they trade Jimmy. And even then 25 million is a lot to turn down. Rondo likely is too because he was the only NBA caliber PG on the team last year.

JB is good enough to carry a team alone to the playoffs as this year proved. Jimmy sells tickets. The Bulls are gonna run him into the ground use him up and then assasinate him in the media like they do all their stars.

I'm assuming he'll bail if they don't make a huge improvement or trade him before he demands it

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

TBeats posted:

I hope Lebron actually makes the world ending chaos dunk on Draymond to end the series with a 4-0 sweep by the Cavs.

If he gets the chaos dunk this year to win the title I think the warriors will completely disband out of shame.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Pop says Kawhi is likely out for game 4.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Just move game 4 to Cedar Park and let the Austin Spurs get some postseason experience.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Bashez posted:

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/866344127461380096

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
i checked okc's cap situation for this offseason...

it's not good

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Get ready​ to pay Westbrook 50m a year

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Metapod posted:

i checked okc's cap situation for this offseason...

it's not good

There are a bunch of teams that are lower-half seeds but somehow have insane cape situations this offseason. It's going to be a buyer's market on middling dudes on bad contracts. Basically the inevitable result of last season's cap surge bonanza.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
If your team is in the market for a guy that can be at best the 7th man on a fringe playoff team, who's making $18 million a year for the next 3 years this is the offseason for you.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Bashez posted:

well, of all the ways to end what has been a fun season, this truly is the saddest

the 2016-17 spurs season ends not with a bang, but with a whimper

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

leftist heap posted:

There are a bunch of teams that are lower-half seeds but somehow have insane cape situations this offseason. It's going to be a buyer's market on middling dudes on bad contracts. Basically the inevitable result of last season's cap surge bonanza.

i just want a solid backup pg and its not looking like it will happen. I miss eric maynor

Femur posted:

i'm ready op

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Whatever else it was or wasn't, the Zaza play was a gigantic money loser. Probably cost the teams at least 2 extra games of playoff revenue/player pay, dampened ratings, and cooled enthusiasm that was building for the Finals, plus it produced a week long no basketball gap which will allow attention to drift.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

Whatever else it was or wasn't, the Zaza play was a gigantic money loser. Probably cost the teams at least 2 extra games of playoff revenue/player pay, dampened ratings, and cooled enthusiasm that was building for the Finals, plus it produced a week long no basketball gap which will allow attention to drift.

Just play a loop of Lebron's blocks from last year's series and it will get me hype

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/KwaiYang23/status/866330494270615553
#Spurs #badguy #Holocaust

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

leftist heap posted:

If your team is in the market for a guy that can be at best the 7th man on a fringe playoff team, who's making $18 million a year for the next 3 years this is the offseason for you.

Evan Turner is available already?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Paul Zuvella posted:

I legit used to work with people who think chicago is a war zone.

Really not surprising at all the way it's covered in the news. Basically the only time I see Chicago in the major publications or on the networks there's a graphic with a pistol and a spiderwebbed broken glass pane. For whatever reason it got real intense in the last few years or so even though I don't believe there's any corresponding unique crisis around Chicago?

My guess would be that it followed Obama addressing Chicago crime in some speeches in early 2013 ("the equivalent of a Newtown every 4 months")? After that you saw a big wave of what was essentially local crime stories making their way into the National news. After that you can find lines referring to Chicago gun crime with practically poetic language from every major media corporation. I think it speaks to the power of the Presidential voice over national debate more than anything else.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Popovic is giving big minutes to a player who is literally missing a finger.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Rick posted:

I never got over the death of WCW, now I only believe in making money, this is my JRPG origin story.

*bows solemnly then immediately heads to social media to publish a picture of a three paragraph written apology begging forgiveness for the offensive gesture*

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

EvanTH posted:

Really not surprising at all the way it's covered in the news. Basically the only time I see Chicago in the major publications or on the networks there's a graphic with a pistol and a spiderwebbed broken glass pane. For whatever reason it got real intense in the last few years or so even though I don't believe there's any corresponding unique crisis around Chicago?

My guess would be that it followed Obama addressing Chicago crime in some speeches in early 2013 ("the equivalent of a Newtown every 4 months")? After that you saw a big wave of what was essentially local crime stories making their way into the National news. After that you can find lines referring to Chicago gun crime with practically poetic language from every major media corporation. I think it speaks to the power of the Presidential voice over national debate more than anything else.

Not that there aren't real issues in Chicago but it's been a convenient boogeyman for law and order types

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Popovic is giving big minutes to a player who is literally missing a finger.

That gif of Pop where he beats the everliving poo poo out of Kawhi during the 2014 finals, his star player cowering in fear, unable to fight back.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/TJDhoops/status/866357589084438530

👀👀👀

Edit

https://twitter.com/SBondyNYDN/status/866024276096417793

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Man. If Zingis is available Boston should shoot their shots.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EvanTH posted:

I picture Chicago as a frozen tundra where everyone is sad all the time because they cannot get any ketchup for their hot dogs because all of their tomatoes went into supporting the deep dish pizza industry and the only passtime is to be horrendously tortured with Jerry Reinsdorph's whips or shot by his illegal handguns and forced to watch the Bulls all winter and then the Cubs all summer while telling each other tales of Ice Hockey to keep hope alive.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dexo posted:

Man. If Zingis is available Boston should shoot their shots.

That would be a fantastic fit.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

That would be a fantastic fit.

I'm not sure I do #1 for Zinger.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Crowder and the right to swap picks (NYK and Brooklyn) in 2018?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

That is insane to me. Harder to find someone with Zingis skill set than Fultz's

And hes on a rookie deal and controllable.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Dexo posted:

That is insane to me. Harder to find someone with Zingis skill set than Fultz's

And hes on a rookie deal and controllable.

You know who else is going to be on a rookie deal and controllable? Fultz. If you're the Celtics, I say you hold onto your pick and draft him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's getting really hard to win with a big man as your best player. If Zinger could learn to take advantage of smaller guys in the post, I'd feel better. We also don't know if he can handle being a full-time center.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Pungry posted:

You know who else is going to be on a rookie deal and controllable? Fultz. If you're the Celtics, I say you hold onto your pick and draft him.

Sorry give me the 7 footer who has proven he can do it in the NBA with a ton of potential over the scoring PG with tons of potential.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

morestuff posted:

Not that there aren't real issues in Chicago but it's been a convenient boogeyman for law and order types

True. I mean, the Right's made whole fields of hay associating Obama with all the seedier aspects of Chicago ( to couch it in Ball Term, I'm sure we all remember earlier in his career when attempted knock on him was that he was simply a "Chicago system politician"), so it's kinda been in their interest to highlight all of Chicago's problems (although it's so patently ridiculous that they don't even try to provide any causal relationship, just a sort of bad-with-bad vague association). I'm mostly just saying you don't have to be reading Breitbart to come away with the idea that Chicago has a "unique" gun crime problem. There's been all sorts of stuff like these articles:

http://time.com/4635049/chicago-murder-rate-homicides/
(the little "also other major cities have a worse problem but we didn't include them in the chart because it would have undercut our point" bit 3/4 of the way down is so strange)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-august-most-violent-shootings-chicago-20160829-story.html

Anyhow, as long as we're speaking of retaliatory cycles of violence, I'd like to take the opportunity as this thread's most consistent Steph Curry Detractor to say that Dedmon knee at the end was absolute weak horseshit, and it's exactly why I wanted Zaza ejected and suspended when it happened. Failing to punish some goon for targeting a team's star almost guarantees some on-court revenge. Basketball is not a blood sport that garbage needs to stay way out of the game.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Trade Aldridge for Porzingis and sign Chris Paul imo

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
"rinks too much"?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Bashez posted:

Trade Aldridge for Porzingis and sign Chris Paul imo

Pop probably drug LMA behind the AT&T Center after last night and put him down. For his own good, of course.

Dunno if the Spurs have the money to sign Paul. George Hill wouldn't surprise me though.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Dexo posted:

Sorry give me the 7 footer who has proven he can do it in the NBA with a ton of potential over the scoring PG with tons of potential.

People underrate players actually being good in the pros and fall in love with the prospect of someone maybe being good.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Remember when Mike Miller did nothing all year and then came in and single handily sunk the Pacers in an elimination game

He was basically a 3pt playoff camel

It's a shame that like most """white players""" he was endlessly injured due to poor movement patterns caused by cultural patterns of footwear and sitting

Dexo posted:

Lmao the Bulls with a super smart but otherwise deficient player in Rondo managed to call and communicate a defense that made the C's look foolish.

LeBron is as high BBall IQ as Rondo if not more and is also LeBron loving James.

C's are trash amd I hope Fultz busts.

It made me laugh too, I couldn't believe it but I believed it before it happened and picked them to win. Brad Stevens isnt a Popovich

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

dude just loves skating

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Femur posted:

Only kind of related, but do people think we'll see more stratification in veteran star contracts at any point during this CBA as opposed to instantly handing out max deals to anyone who is All Star caliber? As people get more accustomed to the new salary cap landscape, I can't imagine high-end max contracts for dudes like Kyle Lowry being conducive to long-term team-building, and those contracts are gonna be absolute bombs if a guy falls off.

Although I guess the price for average starters/rotation pieces would probably come down first if people are going to change their spending habits, right? I am not good with money please help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

xbilkis posted:

Only kind of related, but do people think we'll see more stratification in veteran star contracts at any point during this CBA as opposed to instantly handing out max deals to anyone who is All Star caliber? As people get more accustomed to the new salary cap landscape, I can't imagine high-end max contracts for dudes like Kyle Lowry being conducive to long-term team-building, and those contracts are gonna be absolute bombs if a guy falls off.

Although I guess the price for average starters/rotation pieces would probably come down first if people are going to change their spending habits, right? I am not good with money please help

It's really an echo of the NBA pre lockout, there shall be an endless landscape of Allan Houston 100m esque contracts. Again, the owners tried to protect themselves by locking up star players and instead have put it in a team's best interest to let good players leave, and given attractive destinations an advantage in offering the not-hometeam max by being in a nice climate or already being good. Also the Banana boat coalition is going to monopolize cap space as useless broken down 38 year old players and will create sympathy for owners and "teams." The next CBA will be punitive and will probably remove another percent or two from the players' share of the CBA or at very least refuse to budge on all the fake accounting when it comes to basketball related revenue or whatever the term is.

That short haired players union director is either stupid or just gave in to their desires in hopes of ingratiating herself and keeping the position long term.

• Locked thread