Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mooseontheloose posted:

Fair. I really don't get the hate for the show.

The hawkperson romance is really, really creepy, and really, really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bozart posted:

I walked down that path. I couldn't watch season 2.

Oh, I'm pretty confident I'll hate it. But every time I see Wentworth Miller smirk at me in an ad or something I say "How bad could it be with him as the star?" I'm helpless.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Guy Goodbody posted:

The hawkperson romance is really, really creepy, and really, really bad
Season 1 would have been pretty good if it weren't for the hawkpeople. Actually, just leave out Hawkman, as Hawkgirl could have been an rear end-kicking flying berzerker smashing the skull of her immortal stalker if there wasn't also her OTHER immortal stalker just making the show weird and creepy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Robot Hobo posted:

Season 1 would have been pretty good if it weren't for the hawkpeople. Actually, just leave out Hawkman, as Hawkgirl could have been an rear end-kicking flying berzerker smashing the skull of her immortal stalker if there wasn't also her OTHER immortal stalker just making the show weird and creepy.

Hawkman was so bad. So, so bad.

Just setting aside that their entire thing was creepy/bad as hell, Carter's actor was so goddamn wooden.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The funny thing is it was a fairly good portrayal of Hawkman. He's just usually a creepy rear end in a top hat.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mooseontheloose posted:

Fair. I really don't get the hate for the show.

I wouldn't say I hate any of these shows (although the previous season of Arrow came pretty damned close), but I get really tired of the lazy, lazy writing. Characters being only as smart as the plot dictates, learning important lessons only until the plot requires, keeping secrets and making decisions that make no sense except to further the plot. I get that the Flash and time travel and godlike superpowers present unique challenges for a writer, but a good one would find clever ways around that. A lazy one just uses authorial fiat to bulldoze through them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Hawkman was so bad. So, so bad.

Just setting aside that their entire thing was creepy/bad as hell, Carter's actor was so goddamn wooden.

I do appreciate that their solution to that problem was to just keep killing off new incarnations of Hawkman every few episodes so that it felt like he was barely on the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bentacos posted:

Are we not gonna talk about how the legends never went to Siberia in 1892?

Wasn't that the bit where Snart pretended to kill Mick?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Robot Hobo posted:

This.

I know a lot of people talk about Rip being a nothing character, or Vandal not being menacing, and that's fair. But y'know it's CW not HBO and neither of those characters actively damaged the show. The loving Hawk poo poo on the other hand wrecked through EVERYTHING else around it and was written so loving badly. Poor Hawkgirl, her actress just got no good material to work with no matter what the situation. And then of course the last few episodes of the show center around the weakest link of it, making it a shitshow.

It is not at all dramatic to say LOT s2 was far and beyond superior to s1, and is the MVP of the DCTV season for that reason.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Phylodox posted:

I wouldn't say I hate any of these shows (although the previous season of Arrow came pretty damned close), but I get really tired of the lazy, lazy writing. Characters being only as smart as the plot dictates, learning important lessons only until the plot requires, keeping secrets and making decisions that make no sense except to further the plot. I get that the Flash and time travel and godlike superpowers present unique challenges for a writer, but a good one would find clever ways around that. A lazy one just uses authorial fiat to bulldoze through them.

See, I get why that is irritating. Season 1 to 3.5 of Arrow is AMAZING and well written. Same with Flash season 1 but they haven't seem to live up to their potential since. But that doesn't make the shows bad just, a bit wonky sometimes.

Like this season is a clear improvement over season 2 and I think the Iris/Barry thing was handled well this season except for 1 or 2 episodes.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Mooseontheloose posted:

See, I get why that is irritating. Season 1 to 3.5 of Arrow is AMAZING and well written. Same with Flash season 1 but they haven't seem to live up to their potential since. But that doesn't make the shows bad just, a bit wonky sometimes.

Like this season is a clear improvement over season 2 and I think the Iris/Barry thing was handled well this season except for 1 or 2 episodes.
Personally I agree that they handled their relationship well, disregarding a stream of like two or three episodes where they purposefully generated melodrama just before the musical episode in order to have a fix-it moment (aka the serenade.) I think the only thing that bugs me is Iris has been a side character in a story that revolves around her death.

In Season 2 she had friends, a job, co-workers, and generally got to do scenes with characters who aren't Barry or Joe. This season pretty much all her major scenes are with those two and her job is only now used as a segue-way to leave Star Labs when the daily pow-wow ends. And yeah, she has frankly taken a back-seat to her own demise for the most part. Unfortunately DCTV writers continue to prove that they have no clue how to write a good romance where both characters are given equal narrative footing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

The funny thing is it was a fairly good portrayal of Hawkman. He's just usually a creepy rear end in a top hat.

Sure but does he also manage to have less charisma than Zeppo Marx

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This season was almost shite.

Only a few things saved it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Iris had more character development in this one episode than she has had for the rest of this season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Recent DC has vaguely rehabilitated him (partially by not having him lean on his relation to Hawkgirl/woman since she doesn't really exist anymore) into a hardass berserker ex-cop

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I was just thinking about how Flash deciding to gently caress around and create Flashpoint led to Thawne almost replacing reality and ultimately ended up breaking time itself as well as killing Iris.

At least we got the memberberries from saying Flashpoint because it is the name of a popular story arc.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

latinotwink1997 posted:

The only reason Barry saved Snart is because it would have hosed time up even more to have him die then instead of later on. Barry is no hero.

It's funny you still think Barry actually gives a poo poo about the timeline.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Kind of late, but I'm really interested in if Savitar started acting just like Bart when he lost his memory because by all accounts he should have.

All we got was him grabbing KF's throat when he first lost his memory, but I wanted to see MORE. I guess it would've taken away from his menace if we saw him acting happy go lucky like Bart, but it could've been a really good humanizing moment.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ChristopherRobin posted:

Kind of late, but I'm really interested in if Savitar started acting just like Bart when he lost his memory because by all accounts he should have.

All we got was him grabbing KF's throat when he first lost his memory, but I wanted to see MORE. I guess it would've taken away from his menace if we saw him acting happy go lucky like Bart, but it could've been a really good humanizing moment.

I was hoping for the same thing. "Why am I in the scary armor? It looks like an action figure or something. And that voice changing thing? Who does that?"

Edit: I want a time remnant Bart to join the Legends of Tomorrow.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Finally shes dead, hope they never bring her back. God, what a boring character. Hope everything implodes now that she's gone and Barry eventually hooks up with Kara, his one true waifu.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ChristopherRobin posted:

just like Bart

Toe to tip, that was a Bart!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dongattack posted:

Finally shes dead, hope they never bring her back. God, what a boring character. Hope everything implodes now that she's gone and Barry eventually hooks up with Kara, his one true waifu.

I hope she doesn't come back, but only because this entire season has been about Barry accepting the past and not trying to change it. If he gets Iris back through any kind of time travel, or even worse through someone else's sacrifice like people were guessing earlier, that's gonna make this whole season bullshit and a huge waste of time.

It's a shame that his character growth will have to come from killing a female character played by a terrific actress just because the writers have no idea how to write women, but oh well.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It will HR who died after using the face changer thing. Next season we get a new HR, and every season after that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Pirate Wells for Season 4 or we riot!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Robot Hobo posted:

I'm willing to believe they did that offscreen between episodes... But how did Barry know exactly when and where to find them, especially to find Snart all alone and handily far enough along in his good-guy character development?
I like to think he didn't, and was just time-travelling all over the place at random then running around the whole planet looking for the Legends. It took him three months of his own timeline and created hundreds of thousands of splinter timelines. Seems like a Barry way to do it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wasn't Siberia where he abandoned Rory before the time douchebags nabbed him?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Easy

He just went forward in time and asked himself when and where he found Snart.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:flashfact:: Hey Sara, where's a good place I can pluck Snart out of you guys' adventures before he died?
:j:: Siberia, 1892.
:flashfact:: Cool! ...Hey, why are there all these dinosaurs all over the place?
:flame:: WE'RE IDIOTS.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Just fingers crossed that however this gets resolved we get Eddie back for next season.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

LongDarkNight posted:

Just fingers crossed that however this gets resolved we get Eddie back for next season.
I would be ok with this.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Dongattack posted:

I'm honestly surprised that Koala's March hasn't showed up to have a massive meltdown.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Flatscan posted:

I'm honestly surprised that Koala's March hasn't showed up to have a massive meltdown.

Hey welcome to the Flash thread. This is a really weird first post to what, mock and antagonize another poster?

Maybe take that poo poo elsewhere my friend.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Flatscan posted:

She has her own weird racist subforum to meltdown in these days.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

Pirate Wells for Season 4 or we riot!

I was thinking Cowboy Wells personally

Especially since he solved the equation and is very clearly a genius cowboy

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope that the big bad in the next season not being a speedster will help things out as far as storytelling and pacing goes - it's tough to base the plot around opposition to a villain that you can't actually fight. Same thing happened with Zoom last season, though at least this time they had Savitar trapped in the speed force for a while rather than skulking in his hideout.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Bring back Gorilla Grodd. Have him work from the shadows using human agents he has telepathically dominated (but isn't directly controlling, so they don't have to talk like gruff idiots). Hell, he could be working from captivity at ARGUS, having surreptitiously turned some of the staff using mind control. It'd be a great "anyone can be the enemy" theme, forcing the team to both be more honest with each other and more paranoid.
Maybe he could be a bit more subtle than nuking everything this time around.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Nice call, whoever called that.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Immediate loving fake out reveal. loving lol.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

WHY WOULD YOU REVEAL IT NOW

NOW SAVITAR WILL KNOW AND HE CAN STILL KILL IRIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
hey maybe instead of listening to his heartfelt death speech, maybe run his rear end to a hospital?

• Locked thread