Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

xtothez posted:

Oh they definitely will; the question is how well designed they are outside that. They will need at least an 8" move to keep up with the big guy, and a reasonable points cost so that you're not just better off taking an extra Hive Tyrant like you are now.

What I've seen rumored is that the bodyguard ability works like a sort of overwatch for shooting. If a unit within 15" of the hive guard shoots at your tyrant the guard immediately get a round of shooting against them before they roll to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

Hardly, they'll have a significant save against krak, a 6+ against las, and nothing against melta but thats the point.

Oh are they 3+? I thought they had a 4+ save. My bad.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

I guess warriors are more survivable against battle cannons? A battle cannon hit only kills 1/3 of the time, probably only hits 2 of them, and they get a save.

Against krak missiles, lascannons, and meltaguns they're as hosed as ever.

Furthermore all of these will only one shot a warrior on a 3+ damage roll as opposed to instant deathing them on any wound like now.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

They straight up said in Fridays q&a that Tyrant Guard just take the wounds for the tyrant.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Warriors have a 4+ right now. This may change especially if they bring back more biomorph upgra- oh who am I kidding?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

Furthermore all of these will only one shot a warrior on a 3+ damage roll as opposed to instant deathing them on any wound like now.

Yeah but that's not the vast survivability boost they're claiming

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Oh are they 3+? I thought they had a 4+ save. My bad.

No wait you're right, 4+ it is, still, the damage roll functionally means they have a 3+ save against las and melta and they'll have a 6+ against krak which will only do d3 wounds so 2/3s chance of surviving that too.

Point is they're not bullshitting about them being more durable, its just an effect of the game system changing rather than their statline.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Yeah but that's not the vast survivability boost they're claiming

Losing 2/3s fewer warriors to a round of heavy weapons fire is pretty vast.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

Losing 2/3s fewer warriors to a round of heavy weapons fire is pretty vast.

Where are you getting this number from?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If I was ever going to get my hands on a Hive Tyrant, I was going to build it as a Flyrant for sure due to the badass pose. The Swarmlord is seriously making me reconsider that.

I'm imagining a guaranteed Trygon charge backed up by 30 Termagants unloading hell on the opponent's back line, or maybe a cloud of Hormagants tying up so many enemy forces that The Swarmlord can advance unopposed. And they finally loving got Synapse right.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Safety Factor posted:

:wtc:

What kind of complaint is this?

Look, sometimes when you want to criticise stuff and you can't find a suitable complaint you just have to cram in what you've got to hand.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Current:

Lascannon wounds a Tyranid Warrior on 2+. Unless you're in cover, no save. Warrior is dead due to instant death.

New:

Lascannon wounds a Tyranid Warrior on 2+. Unless you're in cover, no save. Warrior takes D6 wounds and is dead 2/3 of the time.

Without seeing what other abilities they get or what cover does, they're not that much better off vs Lascannons.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Was it ever confirmed krak missiles are d6? I remember that was the rumor. Grenades are d3

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Zark the Damned posted:

Current:
Lascannon wounds a Tyranid Warrior on 2+. Unless you're in cover, no save. Warrior is dead due to instant death.
New:
Lascannon wounds a Tyranid Warrior on 2+. Unless you're in cover, no save. Warrior takes D6 wounds and is dead 2/3 of the time.
Current:
Lascannon instakills a Tyranid Warrior on 2+, or does a single wound to an MC on 2+
New:
Lascannon has a 66% chance to instakill a Tyranid Warrior, or can do D6 wounds to an MC

When there's a bunch of 10-12 wound Trygons bearing down on you, which target do you pick? That's going to be the main difference.

On an unrelated note, after roughly estimating which factions are left to be covered with a focus article the current schedule lines up neatly with Saturday 10th June.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Almost like someone writing their rules knows the history of both the game mechanics and the fiction behind the army, and cares about whether they're fun to play, rather than meekly asking for the right to exist on the tabletop with Mr. Human Hero sorry for offending you with my lowly presence please kill me in droves for free I'll even help.

I'm still enjoying the "X unit (that was undoubtedly written by Cruddace) is no longer un-takeable trash!" motif throughout articles.

You've mentioned Robin Cruddace 10 times in the last page's worth of your posts alone, maybe consider whether you have an unhealthy fixation.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

xtothez posted:

Current:
Lascannon instakills a Tyranid Warrior on 2+, or does a single wound to an MC on 2+
New:
Lascannon has a 66% chance to instakill a Tyranid Warrior, or can do D6 wounds to an MC

When there's a bunch of 10-12 wound Trygons bearing down on you, which target do you pick? That's going to be the main difference.

On an unrelated note, after roughly estimating which factions are left to be covered with a focus article the current schedule lines up neatly with Saturday 10th June.

I guess? Depends on the costs if you're likely to see a bunch of trygons and a bunch of warriors at the same time. We'll see.

Guns to shoot at a trygon will undoubtedly cost less than a trygon.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 21, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Safety Factor posted:

:wtc:

What kind of complaint is this?

The kind that wonders how this will speed up gameplay instead of a straight 4++.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
It's all going to come down to point costs. If a Tyranid Warrior with a bonesword and lashwhip is still 50 points, they'll still be terrible. The swarmlord is also going to need to have a lot of other good abilities and psychic powers, so we definitely don't have the full picture on him.

They mentioned synapse, but didn't mention Instinctive Behavior. They mentioned that Synapse makes units immune to moral checks, but not that it also made them immune to the effects of instinctive behavior. Could Instinctive behavior be totally gone? I sure hope so.

ALso no mention of Shadow in the Warp.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

LingcodKilla posted:

The kind that wonders how this will speed up gameplay instead of a straight 4++.

It doesn't help speed things up, but it gives the Swarmlord a noticable achilles heel in ranged compared to his melee god status. At a 4++ save in melee, he can parry a Knight's 6-wound chainsword about half the time. Which is an amazing mental image, frankly. However, he has a much less fun time against explosives, lascannons, and meltas, which is really fair and gives him an easily identified weakness on the field.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Hahaha, what?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The Bee posted:

It doesn't help speed things up, but it gives the Swarmlord a noticable achilles heel in ranged compared to his melee god status. At a 4++ save in melee, he can parry a Knight's 6-wound chainsword about half the time. Which is an amazing mental image, frankly.

Just imagine him ducking.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Where are you getting this number from?

By being tired and rushing my maths.

Assuming MEQ Bs:
7th ed
3+hit*2+wound*no save = 55% chance to be killed by a lascannon shot

8th ed
3+*2+*no save*3+ damage roll = 37% chance to be killed
9% chance to survive with 2 wounds
9% chance to survive with 1 wound

So 32% less likely to be killed by a lascannon hit, 18% chance to survive and tank an additional shot wasting any excess damage it deals.

Battle cannons went from killing the entire squad half the time to dealing an average of 2.43 wounds to the squad

3.5(average shots)*1/2(Bs)*5/6(wound)*5/6(fail save)*2(average damage) = 2.43 wounds

Unless you're throwing a lot of points at them you're a lot less likely to instantly delete a warrior brood like you can now.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah, points are what it'll come down to.

Just kind of rubs me the wrong way that terminators doubled their wounds and warriors got nothing, unless the point balance between the two is much different. But I don't play nids so I don't really have a stake in it, I just want to see stuff that was garbage before become usable.

Yes, they are much more durable against battle cannons which is why I already said that. You don't need to do a bunch of math to prove poo poo I've already discussed.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 21, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The point is they're much more durable against everything, so tyranid synapse isn't a complete joke to get rid of.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

The point is they're much more durable against everything, so tyranid synapse isn't a complete joke to get rid of.

Going to have to disagree with you there but that's fine

An important thing to remember is everything has split fire and heavy weapons dont need to snap shot if they move so it becomes way easier to toss opportunistic shots at targets which you wouldn't do before. Like having a tac squad unload bolters on some gaunts while the heavy weapon shoots a warrior.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 21, 2017

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Is it just me, or do Tau seem kinda hosed now? Sure a lot of their units will be able to run away after a round of assault, but I kinda doubt they'll even survive the charge.

Increasing everyone's ability to get in combat quickly and wreck face means the gun line doesn't have much of a chance to whittle them down before the assaults start.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Warriors are absolutely more durable now. Rather than being simply eliminated by S8+, they have a chance to survive that didn't exist before. It's not really debatable.

For example, assuming the AP system still tracks as it has so far, a krak round should have a -2 to saves which will give a warrior a 6+ save. They used to have none. If the missile gets through, it will cause a variable amount of damage and may not kill the warrior.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Going to have to disagree with you there but that's fine

An important thing to remember is everything has split fire and heavy weapons dont need to snap shot if they move so it becomes way easier to toss opportunistic shots at targets which you wouldn't do before. Like having a tac squad unload bolters on some gaunts while the heavy weapon shoots a warrior.

and that opportunistic shot is much less dangerous than it once might have been, a krak missile will only kill a warrior 1 time in 10, las 1 in 4.

What Safety's saying basically.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Never claimed they aren't more durable, but not to the extent they're trying to hype.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, Warriors are objectively more durable than they used to be. But a 6+ save alongside a 1/3 chance to not be killed instantly is a pretty minor boost in survavability, and if a bonesword & lashwhip warrior is still 50 points, they will still not be anywhere near viable.

What WILL make them viable is not durability, but the ability to show up and charge before the enemy gets a chance to shoot. If they can drop out of a Tyrannocyte, get a bonus move from a Tyrant, then charge, that could be very good.

Master Twig fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 21, 2017

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Heavy infantry dies to anti-tank weapons, more news at 11.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Floppychop posted:

Heavy infantry dies to anti-tank weapons, more news at 11.

+1 wound would put them on the favourable side of the 3.5 d6 average. If terminators can get that so should warriors.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

chutche2 posted:

Never claimed they aren't more durable, but not to the extent they're trying to hype.

:qq:

It is OK. Tyranids sound greatly improved. It is OK to not be scared anymore.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

+1 wound would put them on the favourable side of the 3.5 d6 average. If terminators can get that so should warriors.

Terminators are the most elite soldiers in an already elite army. Warriors are mid strength synapse creatures. I don't see this focus on equating the two since they fill completely different battlefield roles. Assuming they are both priced appropriately there is no reason to expect Warriors would have the same resiliance to anti tank weapons.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Man y'all are out of your minds. All these changes sound good as hell

e: Lol except for this 80 dice thing. Like yeah that sounds powerful AF but gently caress rolling 80 dice. At that point just call it 64 hits and let's get on with it.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 21, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TheChirurgeon posted:

This guy gets it. I don't need Tyranids to be the strongest army in the game, but everything in the article is either an improvement or a huge improvement.

The force sounds both thematic and playable. Your salt only strengthens the Hive Mind.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Master Twig posted:

Yeah, Warriors are objectively more durable than they used to be. But a 6+ save alongside a 1/3 chance to not be killed instantly is a pretty minor boost in survavability, and if a bonesword & lashwhip warrior is still 50 points, they will still not be anywhere near viable.

What WILL make them viable is not durability, but the ability to show up and charge before the enemy gets a chance to shoot. If they can drop out of a Tyrannocyte, get a bonus move from a Tyrant, then charge, that could be very good.

33% survivability against S8 weapons is actually a pretty large boost, even before you count the 1/6 chance to save that you didn't have against Krak/battlecannons/lascannons before

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Can Hormagaunts advance and charge in the same turn, or is it unique to Genestealers?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

e: Lol except for this 80 dice thing. Like yeah that sounds powerful AF but gently caress rolling 80 dice. At that point just call it 64 hits and let's get on with it.

I have ran a first curse and gotten a turn 1 charge with it without losing a single man to overwatch. That is a nice 80 die roll. Very satisfying.

Here's hoping broodlords are very similar to patriarchs from GSC.

Honestly, the unit I'm most excited to be good again, which we haven't heard anything about, is Hive Guard. I'm assuming that the Impaler Cannon will be S8, AP-1, 2 shots, ignores cover, no line of sight needed. If they do d6 damage, awesome. If they go back to hitting on a 3+, even more awesome.

They'll be pretty fragile if they remain at 2 wounds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

DO IT TO IT posted:

Can Hormagaunts advance and charge in the same turn, or is it unique to Genestealers?

Sounds like just Genestealers, but the Swarmlord ability they mention is what you can use to get gaunts moving twice before charging

• Locked thread