Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CFox
Nov 9, 2005

vyst posted:

Rural America is not the audience Verizon cares about nor is concerned about attrition with.

This is true. I'm just hoping they keep getting hit hard and open up the hotspot like was mentioned above. As a fellow rural dweller it'd be a total game changer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

vyst posted:

Rural America is not the audience Verizon cares about nor is concerned about attrition with.

Are you really sure about that? Isn't that part of the whole "best network in America" pitch? In a lot of rural areas (like mine), if you want any service at all in some places, you have to be on Verizon. By far and large it is the most expansive and reliable network in my area, followed by Sprint which has mostly 3G in the places where Verizon has 4G.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Wickerman posted:

Are you really sure about that? Isn't that part of the whole "best network in America" pitch? In a lot of rural areas (like mine), if you want any service at all in some places, you have to be on Verizon. By far and large it is the most expansive and reliable network in my area, followed by Sprint which has mostly 3G in the places where Verizon has 4G.

Verizon makes more money in areas with more population density. That's why rural America is not high on the priority list. I mean I'm sure it's on their roadmap but if you're expecting premium service on a farm in BFE you're going to end up disappointed. It's just business

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I noticed when shopping for my new phone that there's a $30 "upgrade fee" or some other such bullshit. But I just swapped the sim card into my new phone and got no indication of the fee on my bill. Are they just not going to hit me with that charge?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

clamiam45 posted:

I noticed when shopping for my new phone that there's a $30 "upgrade fee" or some other such bullshit. But I just swapped the sim card into my new phone and got no indication of the fee on my bill. Are they just not going to hit me with that charge?

Only if you purchase a phone. SIM swaps are no charge.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Duckman2008 posted:

Only if you purchase a phone. SIM swaps are no charge.

I bought a new Galaxy S8 from Best Buy, swapped out the sim from my S6, and didn't get an upgrade charge. Guess I was lucky.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I usually get my phones straight from Verizon. Last year when I went to get an iPhone 7 they told me about the upgrade fee. I thought it was a store thing but when I called I was told the same thing. The rep on the phone said even if I got it from Apple they would charge the upgrade fee. I thought that may not be true so got it from Apple and didn't get the fee on my bill.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Wickerman posted:

These are reasons why Verizon doesn't need to compete harder there though

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

vyst posted:

Yeah, and it sucks :( I just wish these big corporations didn't ONLY care about the bottom line. Comcast wouldn't come out here and my neighbor offered to dig the trench, pay for the cable line, pay for the junction box, plus pay a contract and they wouldn't do it. Essentially all they would have had to do was put in the box (which they'd get paid for) and flip the switch. But no. Finally, they are indeed installing fiber optic to his house because it's just the fiber. I'm hoping I can get in on that sweet sweet gigabyte action, but it will require a business account at a minimum of $1100 a month, which is way beyond my means. So my plan is to have my neighbor beam me some internets via terrestrial satellite. I think it will work. I will get better download speed for sure, and probably similar ping (I hope better). At this point, I just want to be free from the shackles of Verizon as my internet.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Right now Verizon is running a promotion where you can get an s8 for $15/mo w/trade-in and port-in. A guy I work with did it a couple of days ago and said that the port in counted when he switched to the unlimited plan, but when I called the Verizon store they told me that was strictly for new customers, which I suppose makes sense since they mention the port in portion...Was the guy I work with wrong or did the random Verizon employee not know what they were talking about?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PneumonicBook posted:

Right now Verizon is running a promotion where you can get an s8 for $15/mo w/trade-in and port-in. A guy I work with did it a couple of days ago and said that the port in counted when he switched to the unlimited plan, but when I called the Verizon store they told me that was strictly for new customers, which I suppose makes sense since they mention the port in portion...Was the guy I work with wrong or did the random Verizon employee not know what they were talking about?

Strictly for new customers and you have to have unlimited. They had a similar preorder promo where upgrades counted.

I can't put into words how annoying it is that everything is being limited right now to new customers and only the unlimited plan. I get not wanting to lose money, but man do people (rightfully) get annoyed when you tell them "no none of these promos are for you."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would expect more pushes to unlimited as time goes on. It simplifies everything from the billing side.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I would expect more pushes to unlimited as time goes on. It simplifies everything from the billing side.

If they want to do T-Mobile and just have one plan (which is likely to happen in some form) that's fine. But until then making it on specific plans isn't a great idea.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've got a question about the device payment agreements.

I paid for the Samsung warranty on my S7 Edge and made a claim a few months ago since I smashed the screen.

They sent me out a brand new phone and I sent the old one back. I didn't even think about it, but now I think Verizon is mad that the device ID doesn't match the device ID on the device payment agreement.

It's still a Verizon branded S7 Edge with the same storage capacity and everything. Did I gently caress up by not replacing it through Verizon? Will I have any problems when I go to upgrade, or should I call up the customer support line and explain?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So I had a similar situation with my Droid Turbo 2 (phone was paid in full up front) . Busted the screen, replaced under warranty by Verizon. When I got ready to trade many months later was blocked because Verizon showed the phone on a contract with end date of original purchase date and $0 due.

They evidently refurbished the first phone and resold it to someone on contract; because it was still somehow linked to my account it was blocking upgrades of that line. It took (many) calls to (several) people equally confused about what and why to get things resolved.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

I've got a question about the device payment agreements.

I paid for the Samsung warranty on my S7 Edge and made a claim a few months ago since I smashed the screen.

They sent me out a brand new phone and I sent the old one back. I didn't even think about it, but now I think Verizon is mad that the device ID doesn't match the device ID on the device payment agreement.

It's still a Verizon branded S7 Edge with the same storage capacity and everything. Did I gently caress up by not replacing it through Verizon? Will I have any problems when I go to upgrade, or should I call up the customer support line and explain?

Are you asking about upgrading early by trading up? It's that, you should be ok, when whatever rep goes to "upgrade options" it just asks "does it match xx IMEI?" When you select no, it asks for actual IMEI and I believe manager override. So as long as it's the same model they should be fine with overriding it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Duckman2008 posted:

Are you asking about upgrading early by trading up? It's that, you should be ok, when whatever rep goes to "upgrade options" it just asks "does it match xx IMEI?" When you select no, it asks for actual IMEI and I believe manager override. So as long as it's the same model they should be fine with overriding it.

Oh cool. Yeah, I'm planning to upgrade after the 50% paid off mark since I'm not enjoying the subpar battery life I'm seeing. It definitely is the same model and I imagine they would be cool that, out of any extended warranty, I chose to go with the manufacturer's.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I just snagged an unlocked LG G5 from Verizon and am thinking of using it on AT&T. When there's a non verizon sim on boot it'll complain about there not being a verizon sim in there. It seems to be a common annoyance with other phones as well, even though the phone will work once the proper APNs are put in. Is this something I'd have to worry about?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

ZenVulgarity posted:

I just snagged an unlocked LG G5 from Verizon and am thinking of using it on AT&T. When there's a non verizon sim on boot it'll complain about there not being a verizon sim in there. It seems to be a common annoyance with other phones as well, even though the phone will work once the proper APNs are put in. Is this something I'd have to worry about?

Wow. I've never heard of a smartphone being "tied" to a network like that...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If it works I think you're okay. Lots of Verizon phones only "activate" using a Verizon SIM but are free to use other SIMs otherwise, granted the phone supports the other carrier's network.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

If it works I think you're okay. Lots of Verizon phones only "activate" using a Verizon SIM but are free to use other SIMs otherwise, granted the phone supports the other carrier's network.

It should, but one of the support people stated they would need to program the imei into their Network or something

I never had this issue at all with my Nexus 6. This is a bit weird to me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ZenVulgarity posted:

It should, but one of the support people stated they would need to program the imei into their Network or something

I never had this issue at all with my Nexus 6. This is a bit weird to me.

Was the support person on AT&T or Verizon? Can't say I am familiar with how AT&T handles that, but I figure since they're GSM (and also not control freaks like Verizon) they're typically a bit more lax with non-carrier phones on their network.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

Was the support person on AT&T or Verizon? Can't say I am familiar with how AT&T handles that, but I figure since they're GSM (and also not control freaks like Verizon) they're typically a bit more lax with non-carrier phones on their network.

It was an at&t guy. They said they were fine with it, but even he found the Verizon sim pop up confusing. He was going to run the imei to just make sure it would be registered and there wouldn't be any issues with using it on their end.

I know the phone is missing one lte band (17) but that's not an issue in my area. I might return it to the guy and just get an LG g5 of a different make. I actually like the phone a lot from how it feels.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

ZenVulgarity posted:

It was an at&t guy. They said they were fine with it, but even he found the Verizon sim pop up confusing. He was going to run the imei to just make sure it would be registered and there wouldn't be any issues with using it on their end.

I know the phone is missing one lte band (17) but that's not an issue in my area. I might return it to the guy and just get an LG g5 of a different make. I actually like the phone a lot from how it feels.

Verizon often has a setup app on their branded phones that runs when it detects a SIM. It fails when it can't connect to Verizon's. I had this issue on a galaxy s4 and it took disabling the app to make it shut up. Doesn't do anything but whine, though.

dantae
Aug 7, 2003
rar
I have a couple questions that I didn't see answered in the past few pages.

I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan that I'm paying ~$120 a month for. Is there any reason not to switch to the new cheaper unlimited plan for $80 per month instead? I probably don't frequently use more than 22GB per month at this point so I don't think I'd run into any throttling issues (live in NYC).

I'm traveling to Europe this summer (France, Belgium, Netherlands specifically). I'd like to have data to use maps and look up basic tourist type stuff. The options I see on the Verizon site are Travel Pass which is $10 per day for essentially using my normal plan overseas and then options with low limits and overage fees. Is there any other option I'm overlooking?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My dad did a similar trip last year. Buy a prepaid SIM when you get to Europe instead, if you can live with a different phone number for the trip. Orange to be specific, and look at their "holiday plan" for use in multiple countries. Cost him about $35 for three weeks, but I'm not sure how much data he used.

E: if you meant other Verizon options, I don't think so. Their monthly international plan will hurt badly if you use more than 100MB of data.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 12, 2017

dantae
Aug 7, 2003
rar

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My dad did a similar trip last year. Buy a prepaid SIM when you get to Europe instead, if you can live with a different phone number for the trip. Orange to be specific, and look at their "holiday plan" for use in multiple countries. Cost him about $35 for three weeks, but I'm not sure how much data he used.

E: if you meant other Verizon options, I don't think so. Their monthly international plan will hurt badly if you use more than 100MB of data.

Yeah I'm not sure about data usage, I believe that I can confine most to wifi but want to have the option to use data while out if needed. Not too concerned about voice or text which is why I was asking about any other options, none of the Verizon options seem great. I'll check Orange out, thanks.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Do you use a hotspot, if so do you push more than 10gb over it? If yes, don't switch; that's my reason for not considering it.

I went to Spain and Germany last year, was about 2 weeks long. In Spain I used a monthly prepaid orange sim with like 3gb and in Germany I used vodafone (don't make that mistake, I wish I had tmobile) with like 2gb. I used offline maps, didn't stream any music, and only did heavy usage at the hotel on wifi so I didn't run into withdrawal from my grandfathered unlimited data plan; I left my laptop at the hotel so I didn't miss my hotspot.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Was coming to ask that same question re OG unlimited vs the new plan. Just went to pay my monthly bill, which is $350ish (2x unlimited for my wife & I, 3x non-unlimited plans) but it would be $200 plus taxes etc., on the new plan. I have a work provided hot spot, so that's not a concern. I was the heaviest user on our account in the past using 25gigs a month or so, but I've changed jobs & don't use my phone for streaming audio at work anymore. I just checked my usage & I'm at 2.5 gigs for the month, so I'm pretty sure we should switch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

highme posted:

Was coming to ask that same question re OG unlimited vs the new plan. Just went to pay my monthly bill, which is $350ish (2x unlimited for my wife & I, 3x non-unlimited plans) but it would be $200 plus taxes etc., on the new plan. I have a work provided hot spot, so that's not a concern. I was the heaviest user on our account in the past using 25gigs a month or so, but I've changed jobs & don't use my phone for streaming audio at work anymore. I just checked my usage & I'm at 2.5 gigs for the month, so I'm pretty sure we should switch.

Yeh if usage is under 22GB the new unlimited is better than the old. The old is really only good if you are a super heavy user: 25-75GB I guess.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I was pretty much on board with it. Unless we're still capped at 5 lines total, we can add my daughter's line to our account (currently on Ting) for another ~$20 a month in savings. I wouldn't be surprised if both of my kids get near the 22gb a month.

Probably going to put some of that monthly savings towards new phones for the wife & I. The $14 a month G6 deal is intriguing, are the S8s or Pixels $20 a month better? Just realized that I can port my daughter's line in & take advantage of the $15 a month S8 instead of the G6, which seems like a no brainer.

highme fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 14, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

highme posted:

I was pretty much on board with it. Unless we're still capped at 5 lines total, we can add my daughter's line to our account (currently on Ting) for another ~$20 a month in savings. I wouldn't be surprised if both of my kids get near the 22gb a month.

Probably going to put some of that monthly savings towards new phones for the wife & I. [/s]The $14 a month G6 deal is intriguing, are the S8s or Pixels $20 a month better?[/s] Just realized that I can port my daughter's line in & take advantage of the $15 a month S8 instead of the G6, which seems like a no brainer.

LG makes bad phones, so they offer discounts to try and get people to buy them. Yes the other two are better. Don't buy LG.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My wife found an iPhone 6S in the park early morning yesterday.

After we charged it (had been in low power mode) it looks like the service is disconnected (it's only connecting Verizon 3G) and there's a passcode. So no way to ask Siri or get into contacts, and I don't think anyone can call this thing any more.

What can I do with it at this point?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Call Verizon and see if it as reported as lost/stolen. It's almost certainly has recovery lock on it, so you won't be able to do much at all.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Call Verizon and tell them you found it and see what they want you to do. Otherwise, turn into local PD.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There's also the long shot of checking the emergency info. If you tap Emergency on the bottom left of the lock screen then tap Medical Info, they may have filled something in there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

My wife found an iPhone 6S in the park early morning yesterday.

After we charged it (had been in low power mode) it looks like the service is disconnected (it's only connecting Verizon 3G) and there's a passcode. So no way to ask Siri or get into contacts, and I don't think anyone can call this thing any more.

What can I do with it at this point?

Bring it by a Verizon corporate store or a police station.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wife called Verizon with the IMEI and they left a message for the true owners. She's going to pick it up from us tomorrow. Some kid's gonna get so grounded for this :laugh:

Thanks guys

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
Want to confirm that I'd have to go into a corporate Verizon store or call in to accomplish this:

Family is currently on Nationwide Talk & Text 700 (700 shared minutes between all of us. $80/mo for the 700 shared minutes, plus $9.99/line access fee) + Unlimited texts. I am the only one with grandfathered unlimited data, the rest have varying data packages (2GB to 5GB).

I'd like to keep my grandfathered unlimited data package while the rest of the family switches to Verizon's new Unlimited plan. Would we have to go in and work with a salesperson to explicitly exclude my grandfathered account from the switch to Verizon Unlimited?

Also: would this mean my grandfathered account remains on the Nationwide Talk & Text for $80 + $9.99 + $49.99 (unlimited data access)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

How many lines do you have, and how much are you currently paying? I'd guess that you'd end up saving if you just went unlimited for everyone ($45/line) instead of trying to cling to your outdated plan.

• Locked thread