Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

The DVDs are as good as is available anywhere, plus there are tons of great extra materials. They explain in the little book with the Time-Life set that they tried to find the best sources available but sometimes they had less than ideal sources. There wasn't a lot of concern in saving them for the future back in the '80s.

Oh, I totally get it. The idea of preserving media is pretty new. The DVD quality is acceptable to me, I'm just annoyed I have to go through a hassle and pay money to watch something that's ostensibly already on a service I pay for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rhyno posted:

Well, waaaaaay back when Netflix first started adding certain shows to their streaming catalog they often pulled whatever copies were handy. At one point the version of the original Transformers show they had up were the same copies that were available via Bit Torrent. It was kind of odd to watch an episode on Netflix and it had the same VHS distortion that the copy I'd priated had.

Seriously? That doesn't really make sense if they had the licensing to show them, because I'm pretty sure DVD box sets of Transformers were around way before Netflix was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

raditts posted:

Seriously? That doesn't really make sense if they had the licensing to show them, because I'm pretty sure DVD box sets of Transformers were around way before Netflix was.

It doesn't make any sense at all but it still happened!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't think I've ever soured on a new series as quickly as American Gods.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I still like it a lot, haven't seen tonight's episode yet though

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
Just wanna say thanks all for recommending Patriot, it is a drat amazing show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jim DiGriz posted:

Glad you're enjoying it.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Glad you're enjoying it.

I've also been humming the theme song for two days now. So glad it got a second season.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm enjoying AMERICAN GODS more so far than I enjoyed the book, which I never particularly cared for to begin with. I know they're using impressive visuals to disguise the fact that they're moving things along really slowly, but I kind of don't care.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arist posted:

I still like it a lot, haven't seen tonight's episode yet though

Same. I think ive liked the last couple of episodes more than the pilot since the show seems to be finidng it's pace. Knowing the story I expect to like it more as the world takes shape in more than just weird images and odd people.

I don't love it or anything but I'm enjoying the show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone ever binge watch multiple series at once? For example, you'd get a box set for two shows and alternate them? I've only ever picked one show and watched it the whole way through but my brother was telling me the other day how he switches it up and watches two shows at once four episodes of each (i.e. one disc of a DVD set) at a time. I'm curious if that's something people do because he's the only person I know who does it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone ever binge watch multiple series at once? For example, you'd get a box set for two shows and alternate them? I've only ever picked one show and watched it the whole way through but my brother was telling me the other day how he switches it up and watches two shows at once four episodes of each (i.e. one disc of a DVD set) at a time. I'm curious if that's something people do because he's the only person I know who does it.

I'll switch. I don't really have it in me to go through a whole series at once so I'll usually do a few episodes at a time and then switch to something else. It's just personal preference.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I usually do a whole season or show. I only change up if I get bored or interrupted.

I got interrupted in the middle of Patriot, then restarted where I left off a few times but I'm having trouble getting back into it. Same with Quarry.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I usually have 2 or 3 I'm binging and I kind of switch back and forth to keep myself from burning out. If I'm deeply into a show and it's relatively short I'll just focus on it but if it's a longer run or doesn't have me totally engrossed I'll usually watch it in parts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have like 8 shows I'm going through right now, but then I end up playing Zelda for 18 hours over a weekend and watch nothing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm binging Supernatural finally but still watching all my regular shows every 2 or 3 episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I'm binging Supernatural finally but still watching all my regular shows every 2 or 3 episodes.

Oh, I don't mean having one series you're binging while you're watching current ongoing shows at the same time; I mean when you're binging more than one series - not ones you're following week to week - at once.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jim DiGriz posted:

It really is. I started my fourth rewatch of it last night. I haven't even watched season 1 of Rectify that many times.

Also, props on the Stainless Steel Rat name :wink:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, I don't mean having one series you're binging while you're watching current ongoing shows at the same time; I mean when you're binging more than one series - not ones you're following week to week - at once.

Ahhh. I tend to focus on just one binge at a time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Same here. I have a lot of shows I watch when they're new, but I generally stick to one show to watch it it's existing. Right now I'm going through The Americans finally, so that will keep me occupied for a while.

I guess the only exception would be when Netflix dumps a new show - I took time to watch Master of None. But that's true binging where my Americans watch is an episode every few days

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Mu Zeta posted:

The fight choreography is also notably brutal from what I remember. It's significantly better than most shows. It's not like Spartacus or anything but still.

This is more campy than brutal, but the moment in Season 1 where Nikita goes Kratos justifies the entire season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's also nice to watch a 40 kilo woman beat up special forces mooks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

This is more campy than brutal, but the moment in Season 1 where Nikita goes Kratos justifies the entire season.

Yeah, that's the episode where the entire show just jumps up a notch. The fights are just much better from that point out.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 22, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know what I expected from Twin Peaks, but it wasn't that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm still half way through season 2 :(

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Arist posted:

I don't know what I expected from Twin Peaks, but it wasn't that.

Good or bad? I didn't realize it was starting tonight until I saw an ad on my kindle.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I didn't dislike it, but trying to grade it against other television, especially old Twin Peaks, is pretty much impossible.

Let's just say it's clear Lynch had free loving license to do whatever he wanted.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ugh I completely forgot Twin Peaks was back. I still have to make it through half of season 2 and then the movies.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just caught up with Outcast, enjoying it, but the central mystery is an itch I really want to scratch. Has anyone read the comic or spoiled themselves? Was it worth it and how did it affect your enjoyment of the show? I'm trying not to spoil myself, but finding it difficult not to.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Ugh I completely forgot Twin Peaks was back. I still have to make it through half of season 2 and then the movies.

I remember giving up on the show mid-season 2 back in the days so I'm actually just jumping ahead. Doesn't really seem necessary to watch the part that everyone agrees was really bad.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

-Blackadder- posted:

Just caught up with Outcast, enjoying it, but the central mystery is an itch I really want to scratch. Has anyone read the comic or spoiled themselves? Was it worth it and how did it affect your enjoyment of the show? I'm trying not to spoil myself, but finding it difficult not to.

There are comics?

I was hoping the Kirkster had come up with some gold just for TV.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've done that with two different seasons of The West Wing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Switch off episodes of Vikings and The Last Kingdom and things get really confusing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

I didn't dislike it, but trying to grade it against other television, especially old Twin Peaks, is pretty much impossible.

Let's just say it's clear Lynch had free loving license to do whatever he wanted.

People joked about how this would be "an 18 hour Lynch film" and so far that is extremely accurate.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

It really is. I started my fourth rewatch of it last night. I haven't even watched season 1 of Rectify that many times.

I had to look it up - it came out this February. Don't you just know it by heart by now?

precision posted:

Also, props on the Stainless Steel Rat name :wink:

Since Burn Notice I've been wishing for an SSR series with Jeffrey Donovan (Mike was as close as DiGriz as could be, except for the whole crime part). Maybe somebody up there finds one of the books before peak TV crumbles (if ever).

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Jim DiGriz posted:

I've also been humming the theme song for two days now. So glad it got a second season.

If you haven't done so, you should really look up Vashti Bunyan's story. It's kind of amazing and cool.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

I remember giving up on the show mid-season 2 back in the days so I'm actually just jumping ahead. Doesn't really seem necessary to watch the part that everyone agrees was really bad.

Probably a bit late for this but skip to the last two episodes of S2 and then the movie, both seem integral to the new one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Preacher Season 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkuZjswJnV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziF6gvIGC3g

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Norwegian Rudo posted:

If you haven't done so, you should really look up Vashti Bunyan's story. It's kind of amazing and cool.

Huh, it is. Gonna listen to the album as a whole someday, when I can spare the attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Season 3 of 12 Monkeys was 110% pure filth. The kind of filth that gets stuck under your fingernails after cleaning out a dirty gutter. It will work it's way inside any open wound and infect you with it's sickness and filthiness. You will become ill with 12 Monkeys Fever.

Needless to say, if you were on the fence about watching it, you need to watch it.

• Locked thread