Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Has anyone had any luck finding what song is playing during the trailer (49 secs in)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8

It is a super dark sounding instrumental

Shazaam abd Soundhound produced 0 results

I was hoping it would be on the score

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMxjM2yiNO0

this is it in isolation i think, no source tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I feel like the original cut of Covenant showed David stabbing/beheading Walter. It felt obvious in the final act that David had made it onto the ship with the survivors.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The RLM review is out and they agree with us "fear of the unknown" is better types, so you all can stop arguing about it now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fleetwood posted:

I feel like the original cut of Covenant showed David stabbing/beheading Walter. It felt obvious in the final act that David had made it onto the ship with the survivors.

this would be incredibly dumb considering how much one had the upper hand at that point. he would've had to voluntarily give up.

the reason it felt obvious is they cut too early. they should've cut with him bringing the rock down again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Biomute posted:

The RLM review is out and they agree with us "fear of the unknown" is better types, so you all can stop arguing about it now.

Thank goodness they cleared that up for us

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Biomute posted:

Yea but I'm pretty sure they disliked Chappie which invalidates everything they have to say.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

multijoe posted:

Thank goodness they cleared that up for us

i don't think they needed to it, it was like saying the earth is round.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Groovelord Neato posted:

this would be incredibly dumb considering how much one had the upper hand at that point. he would've had to voluntarily give up.

the reason it felt obvious is they cut too early. they should've cut with him bringing the rock down again.

If he brought the rock down again, then it would've been Walter returning to the ship.

So, did Walter yield? Because they make it clear that David is about to stab the poo poo out of him. Why are they vague about how Walter and David part ways? Just seems like an odd choice to make when they are so fervent about clarifying other details.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i mean that it should've cut right after he started bringing it down, so he could've still yielded before crushing david's head.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Plavski posted:

Thanks!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Biomute posted:

There was a big black hole of information regarding the Xenomorphs before Prometheus and Covenant, I for one am glad we're getting the universe fleshed out a bit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

please don't troll.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plavski posted:

This isn't Alien Isolation.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

please don't troll.

You never use proper capitalization in your posts so I always read them in the voice of Corky from Life Goes On.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA-yr9uJ72M

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Biomute posted:

I don't care about them or anything they have to say so :shrug:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Biomute posted:

Who gives a flying gently caress about RLM? Get this poo poo out of here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love them, but I don't agree with their review. Is s'okay.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Covok posted:

Who gives a flying gently caress about RLM? Get this poo poo out of here.

they;ve been right about every movie except jurassic world.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Tina Fey is a soulless horrible cynical liberal leftist oval office....gently caress that 4-eyed snot nosed little know-it-all gently caress whore new york limousine liberal oval office.
/

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

they;ve been right about every movie except jurassic world.

This is false. They regularly give positive reviews to Marvel movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Jokes on that guy, Ridley is never retiring and will die making a film.

No question.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Biomute posted:

I'm glad to hear it, I'm even more convinced now that this is just a knee-jerk, generic reaction.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yaws posted:

This is false. They regularly give positive reviews to Marvel movies.

you do have me there they were far too kind to avengers 2 in particular.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm glad to hear it, I'm even more convinced now that this is just a knee-jerk, generic reaction.

how you gonna take poo poo about me being from boston when you keep posting this bad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

how you gonna take poo poo about me being from boston when you keep posting this bad.

You're right, that's unfair, you can't help being from Boston.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean that it should've cut right after he started bringing it down, so he could've still yielded before crushing david's head.

They should have explicitly show Walter killing David. Then after the movie ends and Daniels is out to sleep you see that Walter brought an embryo of the facehugger as his conversations with David have led him towards a pay of curiosity and creation. Maybe you would have needed to change his earlier conversations to have Walter question himself a bit more but I would have much rather have David's message resonate with Walter than David straight up winning and getting a ship full of people to experiment with.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There's like 100 pages of this thread that I haven't read so my apologies if I'm covering old ground, but I don't think I've ever felt so burned from a movie's marketing as I have from this one. I mean, I only have myself to blame since I knew from the beginning this was always Prometheus 2, but dammit I wanted to believe.

What's sad is that I probably would have dug it if it were simply called "Covenant" and was understood to be a movie in the Prometheus/Alien universe. Did anyone else get the feeling watching this that the Xenomorph's appearance was originally meant to be a surprise?

On a (slightly) more substantive note, good lord was setting the bulk of this movie in some drab non-descript castle/cavern thing a bad idea. Not only was it a missed opportunity (I have a hard time believing the society that flies around in a HR Giger nightmare machine live in such a boring environment) it was just incredibly dull in general. I had to resist looking at my watch and thought, 'good lord they're not getting off this planet anytime soon, are they?'

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Also: holy cow is it super obvious that Ridley Scott approaching 80 years old and his brother Tony's suicide have hosed him up emotionally. Dude needs to see a therapist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

lizardman posted:

Also: holy cow is it super obvious that Ridley Scott approaching 80 years old and his brother Tony's suicide have hosed him up emotionally. Dude needs to see a therapist.

You just paid to see his therapy session.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
He's lightened up after THE COUNSELOR.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Anyone heard anything, or have any takes on the meaning of "I saw the devil when I was ten, and I never forgot him" ?

Seems almost like there was some other dialogue from earlier that was dropped in editing, that would have explained this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Anyone heard anything, or have any takes on the meaning of "I saw the devil when I was ten, and I never forgot him" ?

Seems almost like there was some other dialogue from earlier that was dropped in editing, that would have explained this.

I 100% believe there was supposed to be a B plot about the Captain's faith, how he obtained it, and his crew actually not trusting him for it, but it was dropped for time. Maybe the obligatory director's cut will restore it.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
My impression is that he was abused as a child and that fueled his faith in a, "if the devil exists then God must, too" kind of way.

I actually think it's some solid writing; it suggests a lot about the character without having to do much exposition.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
RLM is the voice of a generation.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Biomute posted:

another win for the good guys :hfive:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MrMojok posted:

Given that the movie is about families, he's probably talking about a bad stepfather.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Paolomania posted:

The entire lifecycle including eggs, facehuggers, and chestbursters is present on the mural in the urn chamber in Prometheus.

I honestly never noticed all that was in there until just now looking at set photos, in the movie it's so dark you can only see the alien in its Jesus pose.

Anyway, seems like I stumbled upon the inspiration for Shaw's corpse.

There's also a leaked prop of Shaw that's much more like that, open dead eyes and facehugger sides and all.
Honestly, I kept expecting her eyes to open in the film. :ohdear:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
When the big David/Walter fight starts we know that Walter is stronger but David is creative. Why didn't they do anything with this dynamic in the fight? It just ended up being a fairly basic brawl.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gargamel Gibson posted:

When the big David/Walter fight starts we know that Walter is stronger but David is creative. Why didn't they do anything with this dynamic in the fight? It just ended up being a fairly basic brawl.

because the movie sucks and is poorly made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

wyoming posted:

Anyway, seems like I stumbled upon the inspiration for Shaw's corpse.

There's also a leaked prop of Shaw that's much more like that, open dead eyes and facehugger sides and all.
Honestly, I kept expecting her eyes to open in the film. :ohdear:

Yeah, in the film I remember noticing some alien design gunk around her head that made it look like she had been stuck in some Alien wallpaper with that crusty poo poo they like to cover people in before the chestburster pops out.

Instead of being perfect bioweapons maybe the Xenos are just a species of fanatical interior decorators and everything they do is just a means toward those ends.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 21, 2017