Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
but how do you feel about nuclear-powered underpants

oh god this is the snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mulva posted:

I want you to imagine literally anything, and then I want you to tell me how it is improved by adding a magic puzzle box to the equation. Or lets narrow that down, imagine something undeniably positive and how the inclusion of having to break into a magic puzzle box enhances the process of getting it to people. Like wow, here is the ultimate weapon to combat the Exarchs.....I don't know, why don't you just use it and not put it in a puzzle box? Amazing, you developed the cure for all human illness.....and can only maintain an erection when you imagine the sheer futility of hundreds of generations of people failing to break the insane security you put around it? It's like a rule, nobody good puts unnecessary speed bumps in the way of something simple and useful. If they are locking it away with byzantine security it either deserves to be locked away or they are a sadistic bastard, and either way it's unlikely to be particularly fun opening the thing up.

Magic puzzle boxes: Not even once

So I take it one of your DMs really enjoyed bein' lovely with magic puzzle boxes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mulva posted:

Magic puzzle boxes: Not even once
... Wasn't this discussion about using magic to open a mundane puzzle box, as a training exercise?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And the fact that this is where it lead is People's Exhibit A for outlawing mages forever.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Since we've moved on to Mage Chat I have a question for the folks with more system mastery than I do: is it possible to have more than one Shadow Name (the merit) without being part of the GoV?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

citybeatnik posted:

Since we've moved on to Mage Chat I have a question for the folks with more system mastery than I do: is it possible to have more than one Shadow Name (the merit) without being part of the GoV?

Sure. I would take it as license to gently caress with the character due to Supernal confusion, but sure.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Followup question: what happens if your shadowname is jack, as in 'the ripper,' and you stab goetia representing jack the ripper in the Tremenous, with its own blade?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Magnusth posted:

Followup question: what happens if your shadowname is jack, as in 'the ripper,' and you stab goetia representing jack the ripper in the Tremenous, with its own blade?
I know this was an autocorrect but I am totally calling it this now.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Sure. I would take it as license to gently caress with the character due to Supernal confusion, but sure.

Oh, i wouldn't assume otherwise.

I just have a Mastigos that has two distinct personas he uses when he's off and on the clock as a Sentinel is all.

I assume that cabals are different in that regard.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Not to be reductive but if you take enough DMT i think you could make a pretty gnarly Changeling game out of Twin Peaks S3 as it's currently shaping up

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not to be reductive but if you take enough DMT i think you could make a pretty gnarly Changeling game out of Twin Peaks S3 as it's currently shaping up

Bob confirmed for Gentry at least three times over tbh.

And the Lodges are basically the Hedge anyway.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Zereth posted:

... Wasn't this discussion about using magic to open a mundane puzzle box, as a training exercise?

Mage chat is much like the Abyss. One teeny attempt to poke at it and all of a sudden it spirals out of control and starts snowballing into something far bigger and worse than what was intended.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Magnusth posted:

Roll 1d5:

1 - You become a goetia
2 - You gain a permanent stat point of some kind
3 - Doublecum
4 - Nothing like, happens at all, because all of this is just games and distractions we're telling ourselves that keep us away from what's real important. You know, great minds throughout history have said this and we just can't loving learn because we're a bunch of stupid capering apes who think we're clever with the little tricks we pull that always, always just end up destroying more than we realize. Bruce Lee said it, you know, the kung fu movie guy? Don't look at the finger, look where the finger points, but most of us are just too blind and stupid and hosed up, permanently and irretrievably hosed up, to see anything that far away. 9/11, Donald Trump, the Star Wars prequels, they're all part of the same sickness and it's in the belly of the machine and - how did that lyric go? I can't loving remember, man; pass me the bong.
5 - Critical hit

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm going to be ripping the hell off of the start of Episode 3 at some point in the near future for my Mage game.
Like, that could easily be some kind of abyssal/Exarchate verge.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 22, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Now that I think about it Evil Cooper also makes a pretty compelling Messenger angel.

"You followed human nature perfectly."

That whole thing with the box absolutely reeks of a God-Machine project too.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

cptn_dr posted:

I'm going to be ripping the hell off of the start of Episode 3 at some point in the near future for my Mage game.
Like, that could easily be some kind of abyssal/Exarchate verge.

When I saw that I knew without a doubt I had no choice but to do the same.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What if your Shadow Name is Johnny Five-Aces?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You instantly get four dots in Time, but then one of them falls off the cliff.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Dougie was almost certainly a fetch

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kurieg posted:

You instantly get four dots in Time, but then one of them falls off the cliff.
Fortunately, it reappears at the end of your sheet.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Captain_Person posted:

Dougie was almost certainly a fetch

At this point I feel like Cooper might have become a Changeling

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Xinder posted:

At this point I feel like Cooper might have become a Changeling

It would certainly explain a lot. He's a pretty good stigmatic too.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.facebook.com/WerewolfVGAME/photos/a.665542560300811.1073741826.664849367036797/776200215901711/?type=3&theater

Facebook comments mention that they cancelled another game project before this, anyone know what the hell that was? Just someone assuming that's what happened to Bloodlines 2?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It being ready to show off says two things to me. Either they already had a lot of assets ready to deploy - knew ahead of time, etc, that they'd get the job - or this is a real quick hackjob of an existing unrelated product or project to be Werewolf.

As for the cancelled project, they might be referring to the cancelled 2000 Werewolf action game, the Heart of Gaia.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Loomer posted:

It being ready to show off says two things to me. Either they already had a lot of assets ready to deploy - knew ahead of time, etc, that they'd get the job - or this is a real quick hackjob of an existing unrelated product or project to be Werewolf.

As for the cancelled project, they might be referring to the cancelled 2000 Werewolf action game, the Heart of Gaia.

I'm leaning towards the latter, or that Swedracula has no idea how you're supposed to market a game and it's going to be purest bullshot. Didn't development start two months ago?

The cutscenes for HoG were the first thing to make me genuinely interested in Apocalypse, except the Bone Gnawers whole deal. Pity that it got cancelled like the Saturn game.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

My money's on "actually a slapdash mobile game"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

What's the newest hot and cheap mobile gimmick that's not "your phone is now a lost phone you just found", because that's what they'll go with

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's probably already been brought up but the degree to which OPP hosed Werewolf 2E's layout borders on impressive. You couldnt read the book sequentially even if it wasn't so deeply in love with its own conlang

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
In general the way the CoD second editions have been structured, starting with splats and giving context later, is really bad for everything but vampires. You can get by on assuming that Requiem vampires are like Ann Rice vampires, but for everything else they're different enough that you can't just go by common movie tropes.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

My money's on "actually a slapdash mobile game"

I hope it is and I hope they get booed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I can't wait for the purple prose about dismembered wolf asses
:allears:

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Werewolf's honestly one of the only games where I actually find things quicker in the PDF. Being able to skip to roughly where you think the page is in the paper copy isn't nearly as good as Ctrl+F (and thank god the contents page is actually worth a drat in 2E books) for finding weird poo poo scattered around the place.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I just realized that Cyanide is also developing the "official" Call of Cthulhu video game. It seems to have had a rocky development where they picked up development from another studio, but at least it's had one, and it has a trailer! Please God, just give the franchise one real hit, it deserves it...

Interestingly, Werewolf is not even mentioned in the Wikipedia list of their released and upcoming games...

Kavak fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 26, 2017

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Rand Brittain posted:

In general the way the CoD second editions have been structured, starting with splats and giving context later, is really bad for everything but vampires. You can get by on assuming that Requiem vampires are like Ann Rice vampires, but for everything else they're different enough that you can't just go by common movie tropes.

I think it is especially troublesome because they are stand-alone now, meaning you shouldn't even assume that the reader has read the CoD core book to know about how stats and skills work. I think if you gave the Mage corebook to someone who had never played a WW or OP game before and told them to read it they would have a really tough time.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ken Hite talks a bit about Vampire in the latest episode of Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff. Nothing really new but he does talk a bit about setting, who's working on stuff, and possible future plans.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

neaden posted:

I think it is especially troublesome because they are stand-alone now, meaning you shouldn't even assume that the reader has read the CoD core book to know about how stats and skills work. I think if you gave the Mage corebook to someone who had never played a WW or OP game before and told them to read it they would have a really tough time.

Hi, yes, this was me. The overall layout isn't the worst I've ever seen, but sometimes important little details get lost and you have to go hunt them down and that's a giant pain in the rear end. I'm trying to remember what the specific examples were but it was a while ago --- I think figuring out what rote spells did was a big one, or learning that maximum ranks in an arcana was limited by gnosis. Just these little things that you NEED to know but which are only referenced once in the table that defines them and you don't necessarily hit that table on your way through character creation.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Hi, yes, this was me. The overall layout isn't the worst I've ever seen, but sometimes important little details get lost and you have to go hunt them down and that's a giant pain in the rear end. I'm trying to remember what the specific examples were but it was a while ago --- I think figuring out what rote spells did was a big one, or learning that maximum ranks in an arcana was limited by gnosis. Just these little things that you NEED to know but which are only referenced once in the table that defines them and you don't necessarily hit that table on your way through character creation.

I too have found this to be a recurring problem. The splats have a lot of little powers and special clauses the rules for which are spread out all over the place. One thing that's tripped me up multiple times is that Demon has put all the Demonic Form Abilities at the end of the "Special Systems" chapter instead of in the character creation section. I guess it makes sense because they're there with all the rules for how a demonic form actually works, but it's still a bit disorienting. I've been reading Werewolf, too, and I got the distinct sense that they failed to explain a lot of things because they're obvious - to anyone already familiar with W:TF 1e. Plus some structure wonk, like how the first chapter tells you which Hunter's Aspect you have, the third chapter explains what Hunter's Aspect is and how to use it, and then to find out what each one actually does you have to look in an Appendix at the back of the book. If there's one big beef I have with Conditions, it's that: half the abilities in the books end up not actually saying what they do in their own rules text.

And it really doesn't help that someone decided the chapters needed to be called "thematically appropriate" things like "Howls in the Night" and "Laws of the Dead" instead of "The World of [GAMELINE]" and "Special Rules and Systems". I have enough trouble trying to figure out if I'll find the rules for spirits under the werewolf rules or the wod rules without having to guess which of those is "Laws of the Kill" and which is "Rules of the Hunt", thanks.

Speaking of, werewolves don't have any special power deal lethal damage to spirits, right? Unless they outrank the prey they just deal bashing damage like everything else? This is one of those things that ends up being confusing because it's never addressed directly. I'm pretty sure this is how the rules work out, but the fact that the book is constantly talking about spirits being "torn apart" and that one sidebar that notes a werewolf's natural weapons count as "supernatural" for things that care about it (which I don't think spirits do?) very easily gives the impression that they're extra lethal to Shadow entities.

And while I'm asking, do Claimed still burn 1 Essence per day to stay alive like a spirit does? And do they retain any of their "human" Traits like Vice, Virtue or Integrity?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only thing that keeps it moving at the table in my mage game is that the information is about more or less in the same spot as it was in Awakening 1e, so I can just absent mindedly flip through to find it. Except for the mage sight stuff. That needed to be in the magic chapter again. Every single time I try to find it I look in the wrong chapter for a minute before realizing it's somewhere else entirely.

If my players were trying to do this it would take forever because they didn't spend too much time because they don't have prior experience. They just use the search function in the pdf instead.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Scion 2e preview for the Shen just went out to the backers.

I'm not sure whether I should punch or congratulate whoever made the Wudang clan joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I really like the Wukong poem

quote:

Playful bonobos scale the branches,

Chimpanzees use sticks as weapons.

On the slopes of the Mountain of Flowers and Fruit,

Primates great and small take their leisure.

Their king, the Handsome Monkey,

Actually isn’t all that attractive.

This guy counts as a Buddha?

How is that a thing?