Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is it just me or are the Celica route maps far and away harder than Alm's? Or are my experiences coloured by that drat desert and the constant Cantors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
celica had a map with like 9 witches and then an entire other inner section, that map kicked my rear end

and now jedah is just straight murdering me

yeah i think her route is harder but who knows what the rest of chapter 4 has in store for alm

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

celica had a map with like 9 witches and then an entire other inner section, that map kicked my rear end

and now jedah is just straight murdering me

yeah i think her route is harder but who knows what the rest of chapter 4 has in store for alm

I ain't even in chapter 4 yet, but some of Celica's act 3 maps were rough.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Celica gets better units than Alm as a rule which helps. The Whitewings absolutely all clown on Clair, she gets multiple good mages, Genny gets a summon super early to abuse the AI.

And Celica is better than Alm by virtue of having similar growths and stats plus a ridiculously good spell list. Also a fuckton of Dread Fighters. And a better selection of weapons at all points.

Alm meanwhile gets stuck with all the deliverance chucklefucks like Python, Forsythe, etc who are mediocre and a bunch of growth units who won't turn out as well on average as people Celica gets who are super strong.

Hell even after Alm gets Methilda, the strongest recruit he gets at base to that point, Celica immediately one ups him and gets a stronger cav. Its a little nuts.

My weak links on Celica's team would be super stars on Alm's. I have two mages running around with 20/20 mag/speed on hers with a ring that increases magic range by 2 while loving Kliff at the same level is trudging along with like 12/12.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Poison swamps are the worst part, way worse than the desert

Zore posted:

Hell even after Alm gets Methilda, the strongest recruit he gets at base to that point, Celica immediately one ups him and gets a stronger cav. Its a little nuts.

What Cav, I'm in the middle of chapter 4 and I still have no horse except Leon at this point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

did you just say atlas is better than mathilda, because lol

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

did you just say atlas is better than mathilda, because lol

Not Atlas, though he is, I'm talking about Conrad.

Promote Atlas to Mercenary. Boom, he's instantly better than any other one in the game and scales stupidly well. Like he has 10+str on all my other sword dudes with similar speed and defenses.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 22, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mathilda and conrad are like 50% of the game apart from each other

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
atlas is def not better then mathilda, atlas has a high attack and literal nothing else going for him

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

mathilda and conrad are like 50% of the game apart from each other

Not really? She's 3 maps before the end of Alm chapter 3 and he joins Celica 3 maps into Chapter 4.

atlas is def not better then mathilda, atlas has a high attack and literal nothing else going for him

Promotion fixes that because sword dude bases are loving stupidly good. And they raise all the stats he isn't likely to raise naturally so he can focus on one rounding everythinf.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 22, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Celica gets better units than Alm as a rule which helps. The Whitewings absolutely all clown on Clair, she gets multiple good mages, Genny gets a summon super early to abuse the AI.

And Celica is better than Alm by virtue of having similar growths and stats plus a ridiculously good spell list. Also a fuckton of Dread Fighters. And a better selection of weapons at all points.

Alm meanwhile gets stuck with all the deliverance chucklefucks like Python, Forsythe, etc who are mediocre and a bunch of growth units who won't turn out as well on average as people Celica gets who are super strong.

My weak links on Celica's team would be super stars on Alm's. I have two mages running around with 20/20 mag/speed on hers with a ring that increases magic range by 2 while loving Kliff at the same level is trudging along with like 12/12.

I am definitely not getting as good a use out of the Whitewings as others seem to be. They're good but not spectacular.

Also, I gave Forsythe a Shield so now he takes no damage from non-mages and Python fills the important Sniper role of standing 4 squares away and htting mages before they do anything.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The Blue-haired Whitewing is a bit weak but the other 2 are real good, for me

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am definitely not getting as good a use out of the Whitewings as others seem to be. They're good but not spectacular.

Also, I gave Forsythe a Shield so now he takes no damage from non-mages and Python fills the important Sniper role of standing 4 squares away and htting mages before they do anything.

They might be eating some of my good RNG because I also have a garbage Saber who's the worst of all my Dread Fighters now that Kamui has overtaken him in every stat and Jesse is like +3 str/+4speed/+3 def.

Palla went through a rough phase before promotion, but once she got to Falcoknight the in-built anti monster stuff has made her and Catria/Est fantastic considering how many monsters swarm you on Celica's route. And how many maps are obnoxiois for non-fliers to get around.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

The Blue-haired Whitewing is a bit weak but the other 2 are real good, for me

Palla isn't as speedy for me :(

Why is Python even in this game?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
A warm body with a killer bow is beautiful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Python isn't that bad if you can get him some levels, since, yeah, killer bows are good. His main issue is that he can very easily fall super behind the level curve.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Python is really good on the cantor maps for me because I have no other archer and I don't want to engage them where they can hit back.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
But seriously Clair needs to not be allergic to gaining str. She is a level 4 Falcon Knight with 11 strength, 3 over base, and two of those were fountain points. 1 point in 15 levels is the worsssst.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Python's problem is that he's incredibly slow and he's inaccurate. It's really annoying for him to get even fed kills.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm on the second chapter. There was the fight on the pirate garrison with some ally characters. Was I supposed to recruit them somehow?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

python is cute and i like his voice, this has been my python opinion

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm on the second chapter. There was the fight on the pirate garrison with some ally characters. Was I supposed to recruit them somehow?
keep them alive and then talk to them in the pirate fort afterwards

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh my god, +2 range magic ring.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
My Catria has hit Str/Skl/Spd basically every level up while Palla and Est are consistently getting 1-statters lmao

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

This level with berkut is revealing my inner bad at fire emblem

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
At least they have better bases than Clive. Holy poo poo is he outclassed by everyone.

His supports with Mathilda where she's like 'just leave the actual work to me' are very good and funny though. He is such a jobber compared to her.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oh maybe I shouldn't fight it at the same time as a 10 person random battle whoops

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Watch out for the random map skirmishes. If one of them moves onto the same square as you, you get immediately kicked into a battle, it starts on Enemy Phase, and you have no chance to change your formation! :gonk:

Somewhat related I hate Arcanists. And witches. Why is it that sometimes when I attack an Arcanist, it can counterattack and sometimes I get two attacks in a row? Their tomes all say range 1-whatever.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Watch out for the random map skirmishes. If one of them moves onto the same square as you, you get immediately kicked into a battle, it starts on Enemy Phase, and you have no chance to change your formation! :gonk:

Somewhat related I hate Arcanists. And witches. Why is it that sometimes when I attack an Arcanist, it can counterattack and sometimes I get two attacks in a row? Their tomes all say range 1-whatever.

It might not have the hp to do an attack.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tae posted:

Python's problem is that he's incredibly slow and he's inaccurate. It's really annoying for him to get even fed kills.

I would agree but for the fact that archers have crazy high utility in this game. They're not the best units on Alm's team by any margin, but both Python and Tobin probably contribute the most utility outside of my healers. And even then Silque is awful.

Kliff though, Jesus Christ Kliff. He's a level 1 sage with 15 defence, 14 attack, and 16 speed. And 35 HP. I haven't even given him any stat boosts. The attack isn't the best, but he's crazy tanky.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
What's the rationale between picking Deen or Sonya?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pastrymancy posted:

Deen is a really good myrmidon, Sonya is a really good mage

it's whichever you feel you need more I think, I chose Sonya cause I like Mages

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Pastrymancy posted:

Sonya is Genny's only support.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

dmboogie posted:

Oh drat it, I thought that because of her speech about liking big, burly men that it was Deen.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

dmboogie posted:

I'm tempted to restart/replay the game just because I picked Deen instead of Sonya :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also Celica has a bunch of really good sword dudes already, while Sonya is roughly as good as Mae and blows people like Boey or Nomah out of the water.

Though, uh, remember supports are like 15 lines total in this game and Sonya/Genny just get like 25 cevade from theirs. They aren't super critical.

Supports honestly feel pretty tacked on overall, a whole lot of them are about sweet gently caress all. Looking at you Tobin.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 22, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

it's actually quite good that promotions just lift you to the class base; If i'm understanding it correctly, promotion basically erases bad levels and compensates for the low growths.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
I might be brain dead, but I have a question about a sidequest and google isn't helping:

I did the sidequest in the mountain village where the lady wants you to go find her son in the Dragon Shrine, and I gave her the journal and she just ran off. Serenes says there's supposed to be a reward for the quest; do I need to wait or something? I went all the way down to the revival fountain in the shrine so I assume she isn't in there.

Also Sonya is the best just because Genny is a god and deserves a support.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

supports are kinda tacked on but there are some good bits to them, like leon's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

it's actually quite good that promotions just lift you to the class base; If i'm understanding it correctly, promotion basically erases bad levels and compensates for the low growths.

Its weird because it heavily incentives characters who buck their class trends while screwing over ones that follow them. A Dread Fighter will always have good speed because their speed base is insane, so having a good speed growth is only going to get you a few extra points which literally only matters against enemy gargoyles and Dread Fighters.

Meanwhile if you have good str/def and no speed growth you're hugely more effective since your speed gets boosted to nuts levels while speedy characters don't get a similar str/def boost.

Honestly its mostly a problem with the mercenary line and their bases because they're absolutely idiotic compared to everything else.

• Locked thread