Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'll agree with Mike and say that yeah, this movie like two different movies smashing into eachother. I liked the mystery, the spooky necropolis stuff, the "there's something not right with this planet" stuff, not so much the action but Crazy Nazi Robot Ending is still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RLM just really hates sequels and stuff so at this point I kind of already know what they're going to say. Guardians got a pass because a James Gunn is the best but otherwise they're just not down with anything in a franchise.

I get it. I do. But I'm still seeing cool things in them.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

CelticPredator posted:

I'll be honest though, I wish these things were in the film. That "She Won't Go Quietly" is more interesting than the ending in the film. Especially that last shot. I wanted more of that instead of just that kind of that tensionless ending we got.

Aside from the Queen xenos, have they ever used gendered pronouns to describe the Aliens before?

That promo, and the TV spot where the xeno aboard the Covenant headbutts the view screen showing David/Walter's face made me think they were going in the direction of Shaw being literally turned into an Alien somehow rather than just being tortured and experimented to provide genetic material.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Alien is referred to as a he by the film crew and stuff, but nah. It's usually an "it".

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Again, I'm not talking about the lore. I'm talking about something established in this film in a short scene at the very beginning.

It simply doesn't establish that

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Despera posted:

It simply doesn't establish that

What information are you missing?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I probably should watch this again, because there was a bunch of poo poo that flew by me. Like, I had no idea that Lope and Hallet were a couple until looking up stuff about the movie at home.

I feel like the characterization wasn't where it needed to be, but I am not an expert on these sort of things, but I feel like really didn't know much of anything about the crew at all, but then again, maybe I am not meant to?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

What information are you missing?

Weyland giving David the codes
That everything has a David backdoor
That they use the same codes for ships yet to be invented
That David is the same copy and constantly around weyland

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

David: "Just blow and let my fingers do the rest."

80-yo woman next to me: "I've heard that before..."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Someone in my theater whistled at the camera after that line.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Despera posted:

There are two characters in the opening scene. The first is Weyland. It's apparent from his surroundings that his wealth is immesurate, but what is also apparent is that he considers himself much more than just a very rich man. From the decor, he seems to consider himself a philanthropist, an artist, a visionary, a genius, etc. From his body language, he's also very tightly wound and controlling.

Through the second character, David, we learn more that compliments Weyland's character. For example, not only does David recognize Michaelangelo's David, he is also allowed to choose his own name. This tells you what Weyland values as part of his vision: creativity, independence and a sense of his own importance. David is not just AI, but the logical next step of humanity. He is meant to inherit his father's legacy. He is also an android, created as a servant, and it annoys Weyland to have to remind him of such a thing.

David reminds Weyland that Weyland will die, and he will not. Weyland is pained at this, because that's the point. Weyland can't live forever and do everything himself so he's done the next best thing. Therefore, even though David is a cynical smartass, he's nevertheless empowered to act in Weyland's stead. There's stuff related to Prometheus in all of this that makes it more funny than anything, but the point is you don't NEED to have seen that film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There are two characters in the opening scene. The first is Weyland. It's apparent from his surroundings that his wealth is immesurate, but what is also apparent is that he considers himself much more than just a very rich man. From the decor, he seems to consider himself a philanthropist, an artist, a visionary, a genius, etc. From his body language, he's also very tightly wound and controlling.

Through the second character, David, we learn more that compliments Weyland's character. For example, not only does David recognize Michaelangelo's David, he is also allowed to choose his own name. This tells you what Weyland values as part of his vision: creativity, independence and a sense of his own importance. David is not just AI, but the logical next step of humanity. He is meant to inherit his father's legacy. He is also an android, created as a servant, and it annoys Weyland to have to remind him of such a thing.

David reminds Weyland that Weyland will die, and he will not. Weyland is pained at this, because that's the point. Weyland can't live forever and do everything himself so he's done the next best thing. Therefore, even though David is a cynical smartass, he's nevertheless empowered to act in Weyland's stead. There's stuff related to Prometheus in all of this that makes it more funny than anything, but the point is you don't NEED to have seen that film.

That openings might be one of my favorite scenes in the Alien franchise.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I didn't adore Covenant as much as Prometheus but there were a handful of brilliant scenes like that to make it all worthwhile.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Just saw Covenant. Crazy to live in a world where Aliens is the fourth best Alien film

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Just saw Covenant. Crazy to live in a world where Aliens is the fourth best Alien film

lol what is this

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Guy A. Person posted:

Truth

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I can't help but think that all those colonists on the Covenant are going to end up as eggs on the planet in Alien.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Despera posted:

Well that ship could of been in development before prometheus happened. We don't know because its not explained but I would expect the covenant to take along time to develop and build for that matter.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

Well that ship could of been in development before prometheus happened. We don't know because its not explained but I would expect the covenant to take along time to develop and build for that matter.

A lot of places have passwords and security flaws that are around after 10 years.

People's tech problems with this movie rely on their ignorance of how tech works out in the real world.

Also, how do we know Weyland doesn't have another David or another AI or android back on Earth who is embedding backdoors and passwords in new tech.

Weyland-Yutani always seemed like they had pretty far reaching plans and awareness of things it seems like they shouldn't. They seemed to know about the xeno from Alien before it was encountered by the miners.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 22, 2017

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Anyone heard anything, or have any takes on the meaning of "I saw the devil when I was ten, and I never forgot him" ?

Seems almost like there was some other dialogue from earlier that was dropped in editing, that would have explained this.

It's a bluff from an inwardly unsure man that likes to lean outwardly on his faith. He's warning David that he won't be fooled so don't try anything sneaky. The problem is David's had him marked for this from the start, and you have to go back a bit to understand why. When they first get back to the necropolis, David asks a question that seems to go no-where: "who's the captain?"

He knows the captain has to be the one who gave the order to divert the ship to the honeypot he created. He knows Oram is the kinda guy who will just look into an alien egg if you lead him to it in the right way. Same way he'd reroute a huge colony ship on a lark for something that seems too good to be true.

There's a lot of consequence for misplaced faith that continues over from Prometheus, and just hours before he meets his fate Daniels assures him that what they need now is his faith. He puts faith in himself that he can see the Devil if he's staring him in the face, but the truth is that he can't and he doesn't. David also complies with Oran's demands without hesitation, something his own crew wouldn't even afford him, and that is also part of what allows him to be led by the nose into an alien egg.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Granted, Alien Covenant is out so I thought I'd take a quick perusal through them again.

1) Never noticed it before, but Dallas in the shaft has the same music from "The Shining".

2) Gestation period...probably been answered somewhere, but in Aliens, how in the hell did they encounter the chick that had a chest burster many many days (talking hypersleep) after losing contact on LV-426?

Yeah, I'm an idiot, take it easy on me.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

wuffles posted:

It's a bluff from an inwardly unsure man that likes to lean outwardly on his faith. He's warning David that he won't be fooled so don't try anything sneaky. The problem is David's had him marked for this from the start, and you have to go back a bit to understand why. When they first get back to the necropolis, David asks a question that seems to go no-where: "who's the captain?"

He knows the captain has to be the one who gave the order to divert the ship to the honeypot he created. He knows Oram is the kinda guy who will just look into an alien egg if you lead him to it in the right way. Same way he'd reroute a huge colony ship on a lark for something that seems too good to be true.

There's a lot of consequence for misplaced faith that continues over from Prometheus, and just hours before he meets his fate Daniels assures him that what they need now is his faith. He puts faith in himself that he can see the Devil if he's staring him in the face, but the truth is that he can't and he doesn't. David also complies with Oran's demands without hesitation, something his own crew wouldn't even afford him, and that is also part of what allows him to be led by the nose into an alien egg.

He literally looks into the Ark of the Covenant.

1 Samuel 6:19 - And he smote the men of Bethshemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the LORD, even he smote of the people fifty thousand and threescore and ten men: and the people lamented, because the LORD had smitten [many] of the people with a great slaughter.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Colostomy Bag posted:

Granted, Alien Covenant is out so I thought I'd take a quick perusal through them again.

1) Never noticed it before, but Dallas in the shaft has the same music from "The Shining".

2) Gestation period...probably been answered somewhere, but in Aliens, how in the hell did they encounter the chick that had a chest burster many many days (talking hypersleep) after losing contact on LV-426?

Yeah, I'm an idiot, take it easy on me.

Like anything else with these movies it just happened that way because the script needed it to.

Hell only 3 of these movies have been directed by the same guy now and each one written by a different writer, IIRC, so the Alien franchise is the wrong place to look for consistency.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Huzanko posted:

Like anything else with these movies it just happened that way because the script needed it to.

Hell only 3 of these movies have been directed by the same guy now and each one written by a different writer, IIRC, so the Alien franchise is the wrong place to look for consistency.

Heh. Yeah, I understand. Take it for what it is. Thanks.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Just lol if you think A:C with its horribly drawn-out predictable ending is somehow better than Aliens.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Huzanko posted:

Well this movie arguably helps that since David was still in early experiments with this stuff. The face hugger itself seemed to be a solution to the super quick gestation period which produces "inferior" aliens.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Well this movie arguably helps that since David was still in early experiments with this stuff. The face hugger itself seemed to be a solution to the super quick gestation period which produces "inferior" aliens.

That answers a question I had regarding that, sincere thanks.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!
All the Alien films have a grossly unrealistic gestation and growth period for an intelligent organism.

Requiring the better part of a year in gestation and then years of parental and community nurturing to allow the development of higher brain functions doesn't make for a very punchy script.

I'd kind of like to see the very different sort of horror that would result from a small vulnerable alien organism bursting from a friend's chest cavity and then imprinting upon the next person it saw as its mother and behaving in a manner which creates an emotional demand for affection and care.

I call it Three Men and a Xenomorph.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 22, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Guys why are you getting hung up on David inventing the xenomorph when the engineers had pictures of it? I assumed David had taken the black goo to its natural conclusion, he stole fire he didn't invent it himself. He may be delusional enough to think so.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

wyoming posted:

The Meet David promo he did for Prometheus is still my favourite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7E7Qp-s-8

That tear as he says he doesn't share human emotions :allears:

This one wasn't Scott's son, but rather another RSA director whose name I forget.

I'm also not so sure that any of the Covenant promos aside from Last Supper were by Ridley's son. Everyone seems to have assumed it, but when Last Supper and the TED Talk promos were released they specifically stated he was the director, whereas I've not seen anything official regarding who directed the others.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Phi230 posted:

Watching the RLM review they featured a trailer clip that showed Daniels running around the ship, with the power off, talking only to MOTHER. It seemed like the final cut they changed the ending. Or maybe they filmed some stuff for the trailer for marketing?

Its like almost all of the commercial material was from the last 20 minutes of the movie.

Arglebargle III posted:

Guys why are you getting hung up on David inventing the xenomorph when the engineers had pictures of it? I assumed David had taken the black goo to its natural conclusion, he stole fire he didn't invent it himself. He may be delusional enough to think so.

Maybe those engineers were like the Hitler version of the engineers and they like dreamed up xenomorphs but couldn't make them because they weren't smart as a robot?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 22, 2017

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh. Yeah, I understand. Take it for what it is. Thanks.

I mean, I am a huge Alien nerd, and I could give you some bullshit about Xenomorphs evolving differently and gestating differently based on environmental conditions and host bodies and so on and so forth. Part of the issue is just that Aliens is James Cameron and Alien is Ridley Scott and they each took their movies and the Xenomorph in different directions.

My head cannon is that the Xenos, since they grow rapidly, would be different depending on environmental conditions. So, in aliens you have a hive based species since they have lots of hosts around and a reactor to nest in, while in Alien the creature is on the ship by itself outnumbered so it's a lot tougher and can turn people in to eggs and all that.

I think the Xeno is a lot cooler if it's not a fixed creature but something that can be different depending on its environment and needs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

Did IQ's drop sharply while I was away?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Huzanko posted:

A lot of places have passwords and security flaws that are around after 10 years.

People's tech problems with this movie rely on their ignorance of how tech works out in the real world..

Mother is pretty much just a future operating system.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

It has been awhile, people been thinking prometheus was a good movie for like a year.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Huzanko posted:

I mean, I am a huge Alien nerd, and I could give you some bullshit about Xenomorphs evolving differently and gestating differently based on environmental conditions and host bodies and so on and so forth. Part of the issue is just that Aliens is James Cameron and Alien is Ridley Scott and they each took their movies and the Xenomorph in different directions.

My head cannon is that the Xenos, since they grow rapidly, would be different depending on environmental conditions. So, in aliens you have a hive based species since they have lots of hosts around and a reactor to nest in, while in Alien the creature is on the ship by itself outnumbered so it's a lot tougher and can turn people in to eggs and all that.

I think the Xeno is a lot cooler if it's not a fixed creature but something that can be different depending on its environment and needs.

Yeah, I'm good with that. What was the travel time for the Sullaco? Combined with losing communications on LV-426?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, I'm good with that. What was the travel time for the Sullaco? Combined with losing communications on LV-426?

I'm so glad you asked! https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/55875/how-long-did-it-take-the-space-marines-in-aliens-to-reach-planet-lv-426

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

It has been awhile, people been thinking prometheus was a good movie for like a year.

I love Prometheus but uh, Aliens is astoundingly great. A perfect film imo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Thanks CP. Glad to see you only care about "smugness" when it's someone else doing it. Does my opinion on movies say anything else about me as a person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe you should rewatch aliens again so you could recognize great lines from it.