Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The facehuggers should have never made it past playtesting. That section is awful.

Game should have ended with a queen fight right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The facehuggers should have never made it past playtesting. That section is awful.
I feel like there's lots of things you could say that about tbh. The game is kinda all over the place

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I don't know why but I bought Borderlands Handsome Collection and Dishonored 2 on sale today when I got a big rear end backlog.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

homeless snail posted:

I feel like there's lots of things you could say that about tbh. The game is kinda all over the place

There are a few nitpicks that annoyed the hell out of me with the game. The game loves putting androids everywhere, which kind of leads to dull tedium in terms of "combat". Not only that, but the Alien will ignore them and beeline straight for you if you engage in combat with them.

Then there is the alien AI which is really drat annoying in how you can expose yourself when you think it's safe because the Alien jumped back into a vent, but instead he decides to pop right back out again. I have had the alien jump in and out of the same vent like 2 or 3 times.

And the game has like several places where it would be perfect to end, and it keeps going.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hey at least it's better than, ya know, that other Alien game

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the best ps4 alien game is alienation.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Hey at least it's better than, ya know, that other Alien game

Alien 3 for SNES? That was a pretty solid game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

baram. posted:

the best ps4 alien game is alienation.

actually its the sidescrolling Konami beat em up

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exploded mummy posted:

I think you mean Capcom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKBRWrxlMDU

It could never be ported to any console because of rights problems, apparently.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think you mean Capcom?

I wondered why that never happened. That game ruled.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think you mean Capcom?

Yeah my bad.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Oxxidation posted:

The world datapoints are pretty much your only window into how utterly poo poo the pre-collapse world was

The only reason to read any of the world datapoints or to even bother collecting them is if you are in love with the story. They're background, color. Not important to the main narrative.

If you really feel a need to collect them all then I think you're enjoying the story a bit more than you let on, even perhaps to yourself.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

But there is a Konami shoot em up sidescroller. That one was always weird to me because it has all kinds of freaky looking Aliens.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

blackguy32 posted:

But there is a Konami shoot em up sidescroller. That one was always weird to me because it has all kinds of freaky looking Aliens.

ALIEN 3: THE GUN is an amazing name for a game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ashpanash posted:

The only reason to read any of the world datapoints or to even bother collecting them is if you are in love with the story. They're background, color. Not important to the main narrative.

If you really feel a need to collect them all then I think you're enjoying the story a bit more than you let on, even perhaps to yourself.

Like I said, the worldbuilding is the only interesting part of the narrative. All the interesting characters are dead ones.

Anyone in the cast who's upright and breathing and everything they're doing is horribly dull stuff, which is a bad thing because the game clearly thinks they're more important for whatever reason.

e: I have encountered three separate villagers voiced by Yuri Lowenthal in the last fifteen seconds. Go away, Yuri! I never liked you! Why must you hound me so

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 22, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

exploded mummy posted:

This one was based on Aliens but the AVP game is a billion times better.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Like I said, the worldbuilding is the only interesting part of the narrative. All the interesting characters are dead ones.

Anyone in the cast who's upright and breathing and everything they're doing is horribly dull stuff, which is a bad thing because the game clearly thinks they're more important for whatever reason.

e: I have encountered three separate villagers voiced by Yuri Lowenthal in the last fifteen seconds. Go away, Yuri! I never liked you! Why must you hound me so

Nil was pretty great

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Oxxidation posted:

I do agree that without the worldbuilding the overall narrative would be very stale. But there are at least two characters that aren't dead but are interesting, to me. Depending on how far you are, one may not have made their presence known - or not seen as very interesting. I think that might change.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I assume you're talking about Sylens and the only noteworthy thing about him is his bad Keith David impression.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny because I am generally a person who hates worldbuilding, but it was the main draw for me (story wise) in HZD. I did like like the main narrative though. It wasn't as interesting as the explanation for how things came to be, but I really liked Aloy and cared about her plight. I thought all of the characters that needed to be interesting were good, such as Aloy, Elizabeth, Faro, and Sylens. Most of the other characters are just serviceable but that is all they needed to be.

Actually I think Aloy is up there as one of my favorite video game protagonists.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Oxxidation posted:

I assume you're talking about Sylens and the only noteworthy thing about him is his bad Keith David impression.

The gently caress you just say about Lance Reddick, bruh?!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feenix posted:

The gently caress you just say about Lance Reddick, bruh?!

I'm guessing he somehow doesn't know who Lance Reddick is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sure I know who Reddick is

I mean I'm not a huge Vin Diesel fan, but

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oxxidation posted:

What the gently caress

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Lol, everyone knows that to truly appreciate horizon zero dawn you must have first seen the prequel: the wire

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

Lol, everyone knows that to truly appreciate horizon zero dawn you must have first seen the prequel: the wire

Or watch that cool TRON cartoon

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Actually I think Aloy is up there as one of my favorite video game protagonists.

Ditto. I LOVED playing as Aloy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

This is a hosed up thing to say

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Aww, managed to survive a week in Don't Starve before loving up. Had a great supply of poop, a small garden to farm from, and was catching bunnies and birds on a regular basis. Needed some ash for medical supplies, but under-estimated the size of the fire and burnt my own camp down, then got eaten by spiders. :smith:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

My Netflix sub is basically entirely so my niece can watch stuff if she's here :/

This but for my sister

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

Aww, managed to survive a week in Don't Starve before loving up. Had a great supply of poop, a small garden to farm from, and was catching bunnies and birds on a regular basis. Needed some ash for medical supplies, but under-estimated the size of the fire and burnt my own camp down, then got eaten by spiders. :smith:

I have tried Terraria and Don't Starve and I think that despite playing video games almost every day of my life for like 20 years I think I'm just BAD at roguelikes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

mutata posted:

Ditto. I LOVED playing as Aloy.

Same. She's pretty dang cool. I like that every time someone crushes a bit on her she is like "hey what I'm not into you like that, plus hey I got poo poo to do" and it is comically awkward.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like that Aloy brings a lot of personality to the often blank-slate portrayals that protagonists in this genre tend to receive. Her reactions to various characters and situations are consistent with what you'd expect of a social pariah with something to prove. It would be easy to go too far in the other direction and make her dislikeable, like a lot of Ubisoft characters can be, but she's balanced by a sense of compassion for others.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
She bores me, a lot, in large part because I keep comparing her to Geralt due to all the gameplay parallels. It's partly because Geralt had a gravelly baritone that made me swoon whereas Aloy always sounds like an exasperated student council president no matter the context, but also because she's so irritatingly perfect and respected by the rest of the cast despite the game's weak pretensions otherwise. The "outcast" thing gets shrugged off after the tutorial and every NPC thereafter who mouths off to her gets smacked down with a smirk and a one-liner within a single scene, if that. It's tiresome.

Sure it's nice that she's a female protagonist who Gets poo poo Done and isn't hogtied into a romance arc, but there's very little to her besides that. Reminds me a lot of Lara from Tomb Raider Rises, honestly, and I couldn't stand her either.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Shouldn't you be comparing her to Altair?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Personally I've always found Geralt to be really boring as a protagonist, which the Witcher 3 expertly got around by going to great lengths to make the game about everything but Geralt.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah Witcher 3's story ends up superior not because of Geralt but because of everyone else around Geralt

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Personally I've always found Geralt to be really boring as a protagonist, which the Witcher 3 expertly got around by going to great lengths to make the game about everything but Geralt.

Don't you like to make a point of saying how you never bothered with Witcher 3 in the first place?

Either way I liked the fact that he spends most of the game struggling against the fact that about 90% of the world's population is trying to cheat or backstab him, and how he gets around the basic pigheadedness of people either by raw cussedness or calling in entire decades' worth of favors. I wanted to see him succeed. I care about as much about Aloy as I do about her horrible bore of a not-dad. She's basically just there to ferry me to the next vastly more interesting pre-apocalypse plot beat.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I wonder why it's only female characters who get complaints of being annoyingly perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Geralt's VA reminds me of the adult_swim show Xavier: Renegade Angel and I could never take the game seriously once I made that connection.