Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Namtab posted:

K-on!, hyouka, nichijou, and the rest

if you're bundling maidragon and euphonium with chuunibyou season 2 i WILL kill you some day in the distant future if the opportunity presents itself and i feel like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

if you're bundling maidragon and euphonium with chuunibyou season 2 i WILL kill you some day in the distant future if the opportunity presents itself and i feel like it

I mean the rest can be categorised into some tiers as well but I figure you don't want to read that list when you know that these three things are the best.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i like maidragon more than hyouka

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

no argument that k-on is at the top tho

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hyouka is actually the best KyoAni.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Takashi Miike's Blade of the Immortal adaptation has made its English premiere at Cannes with a trailer to go with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M2F4-oTNF4

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Namtab posted:

K-on!, hyouka, nichijou, and the rest

checks out

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
cromartie high school dub, bitch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/866304044175736832

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I look forward to the terrifying women.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Astro Ambulance posted:

no argument that k-on is at the top tho

The top of the garbage pile.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The Colonel posted:

Eupho is good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The description of the Manga has me very interested in this one, do it'll just cone down to the execution for me.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The Art of the Deal, eh?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Agronox posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure why but sometimes the Japanese voice actors can be hypnotic in ways that I haven't quite heard in dubs. Like I could listen to Nino from ACCA or Yukino from Oregairu reciting economic statistics and I'd probably enjoy it. Might it just be the difference in talent levels? Are dub voice actors decently paid?

I'm betting it's a mixture of VA talent/direction quality/translation quality combined with the actual anime being worth a drat that makes dubs go from oh boy->alright->yeah baby. I mother fuckin hate generic english dub crew, whoever they are. I just know em by voice.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

a lot of the dubs people are listing as good itt just copy the voice direction from the original performance. so i mean, it's not like you'd necessarily get an inferior experience. but at that point it kinda makes me question what worth the dub has, as a person who is not incapable of reading subtitles.

This is why Oedo is the best dub, and not just because of the funy swears, it's a lot funnier and more human than the fairly dry dialogue of the original, and the voice actors really sell it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/status/866368226434981889

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't tell if this is supposed to be ironic or not.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

I'm betting it's a mixture of VA talent/direction quality/translation quality combined with the actual anime being worth a drat that makes dubs go from oh boy->alright->yeah baby. I mother fuckin hate generic english dub crew, whoever they are. I just know em by voice.

I hate to say this but 80% of Anime English Woman voice actors do this weird extra high pitched "anime voice" and it's just grating I mean there are exceptions but they are rare and usually are mixed with others doing the dam voice, I mean the Japanese versions are probably doing the same thing but when you don't understand its easier to just kinda ignore it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This is a monkey paw wish if I ever saw one

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

This is a monkey paw wish if I ever saw one

What if it was funimation and the cards were bible verses?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Strange Quark posted:

I can't tell if this is supposed to be ironic or not.

The fact that it's the wrong poem?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't know how I'm supposed to feel.

Any excuse to rewatch it I suppose

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah we never even finished ranking all the kyoani series, let's go back to that

Results from 2 years ago:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736714
voting results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dIUdSpKLLZEZ8VLtL9iK5_dclGCYlwoe8hKxxVuF1Ac

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I guess dubs are good for anims where you want to market it at children e.g. dbz

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Namtab posted:

I guess dubs are good

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
dub a dub dub

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
4kids in a dub

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

kater
Nov 16, 2010

is that true?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont care about chihayafuru getting a dub but the fact that it's getting a dub means it'll probably get a us dvd release, which near as i can tell it never did

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

i dont care about chihayafuru getting a dub but the fact that it's getting a dub means it'll probably get a us dvd release, which near as i can tell it never did

I believe it came out in Australia on DVD, but not blu ray, and that was the only English western release aside from streaming. There may well have been a French release too but I'm not sure.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sooo... schoolgirl Akagi, yeah?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

im excited for the good mang to get a good anime

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Endorph posted:

honorifics aren't nearly as meaningful as people like to pretend they are and their meaning can be communicated via tone and good performances/writing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XooISvoZ_rs

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Endorph posted:

honorifics aren't nearly as meaningful as people like to pretend they are and their meaning can be communicated via tone and good performances/writing

edit: also most modern dub vas are okay and jp vaing isn't as good as people like to pretend it is, either. however a lot of dub scripts are pretty bad. see: the funi dragon maid dub scrubbing out like seven instances of implied romance and adding in some weird lines because funimation is run by rick santorum

uh, japan isnt a tonal language, so that's not possible

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
what someone told me once, on this forum

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Phobophilia posted:

uh, japan isnt a tonal language, so that's not possible

He's talking about English tone. You can express deference, etc. that way.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Yeah chihayafuru on adult swim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't watch dubs nor subs, it's just the best that way.

• Locked thread