Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Bread Set Jettison posted:

2) Eren has no arms?!

I've had a real weird experience this season because I read the manga for a bit after the first season but I don't remember how much and I've forgotten most of it anyways since it was years ago. So I keep having these strong moments of deja-vu when something I read and then forgot shows up again in the show, including that shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

2) Eren has no arms?!

Missing hands! At least in the preview. I suspect Reiner cut them off, not sure what good that'll do, maybe they're betting nightfall will stop their regeneration? Just long enough to reach their hidden leaf village.

Next week can't some soon enough!!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You can't bite your hand to transform and run away when you've got no hands!

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

1) Lmao Mikasa and Armin furiously eating

That was the high point of the episode for me, too. I'm sure it looked cool in a freezeframe, but goddamn if it didn't look ridiculous while moving.

Seems like next episode will be what I was hoping this episode would be, ie. (anime-only, tagging this because recent episode)Bert and Ernie finally putting voice to their motives and us learning about how "Oh, titans were the people forced outside of the walls when they set up their little kingdom/they were the ones forced to go on a deathmarch to alleviate the food shortage like Armin's grandpappy/etc

I've been rewatching a bit of S1... there's a little blonde girl about Eren's age when they show up at the refugee camp immediately after the breach of Eren's village's wall... if that's Annie, then there was a concerted plan to infiltrate Titan-Shifters into the human populace from the getgo. Still... the motivation for that eludes me since, clearly enough that even Eren realized it, the humans were trapped in a tiny little cage at the start of S1 and the titans controlled the rest of the world. Unless it's something REALLY evil and REALLY personal, the grudge against the King and mainstream society wouldn't last 100+ years.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You say that, but in the most recent manga chapter you find out the entire setting is the result of residual saltiness from the 2016 primaries.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Kytrarewn posted:

Unless it's something REALLY evil and REALLY personal, the grudge against the King and mainstream society wouldn't last 100+ years.

They took all the Asian women with them.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Is it just me or was the animation slightly different than usual this episode? I enjoyed Mikasa having more lines than "Eren" or "EREN". That was fun and I hope we'll get more of that.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Is it just me or was the animation slightly different than usual this episode? I enjoyed Mikasa having more lines than "Eren" or "EREN". That was fun and I hope we'll get more of that.

Most of the time she was talking about Eren and how badly she wanted to be with him, so nothing changed much.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sindai posted:

You can't bite your hand to transform and run away when you've got no hands!

It doesn't look like Bertholdt's hands were cut when Mikasa cut his throat. Also, they left Ymir's left hand on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Freakazoid_ posted:

It doesn't look like Bertholdt's hands were cut when Mikasa cut his throat. Also, they left Ymir's left hand on.

Maybe his arms are just gone because of the angle at which Einer bit him out? :shrug:

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I realize it's hard to follow last week and as someone said earlier, it's probably all set up for the rest of the season but that felt like a real waste of an episode in an already way-too-short season to me.

Mikasa is starting to grate on me a bunch I gotta admit. As cool and awesome as it is to see her as a badass titan killer with all her sweet moves and all, she has like no character besides that. Oh Eren this Eren that, at least be a LITTLE bit like a normal, realistic person. I know it's anime and everything but jesus.. I hope there is some deeper motivation behind all this as people were speculating earlier in the thread, otherwise this is just getting a bit ridiculous.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mikasa has seen some poo poo, man. And eren is her last touchstone to her family, who have been murdered twice over in front of her eyes now. That'd gently caress anyone up, and she's clearly not a well person. Eren is her crutch, he's all that keeps her going, so her obsession is at least a little understandable.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

abraxas posted:

Mikasa is starting to grate on me a bunch I gotta admit. As cool and awesome as it is to see her as a badass titan killer with all her sweet moves and all, she has like no character besides that. Oh Eren this Eren that, at least be a LITTLE bit like a normal, realistic person. I know it's anime and everything but jesus.. I hope there is some deeper motivation behind all this as people were speculating earlier in the thread, otherwise this is just getting a bit ridiculous.

On the day Mikasa's world came crashing down in an extremely traumatic manner, Eren:

1) Saved her life
2) Gave her impetus to fight and keep on living
3) Provided her with comfort after it was all over

She loves him to the point of obsession, but is too socially awkward to make advances of a romantic sort (and it's arguable whether her feelings even have those overtones) plus he sees her as a sister since they grew up together and she was adopted into his family. And she's also very afraid of rejection, so she maintains the status quo and follows him in his bad decisions rather than make a serious effort to put a stop to them - she wants to protect him, but is afraid of trying to chain him down (or has given up on the notion).

That's Mikasa's character: she's a lonely and damaged girl whose entire life revolves around the people she cares about, who after being stepped on by the world a few times comes down to Eren and Armin. She does feel a sense of camaraderie to her fellow trainees, but those are the two that are family to her.

There are moments when her nuances show, but she's fundamentally a character laser-focused on her goals and motivations, so with the life-and-death situation these kids have been enduring over the past couple days of in-story time... I just don't know what else anyone would expect from her but to either act as the stone-cold soldier her companions both fear and admire, or get crushed by the weight of it all when she feels she's failed and her armor cracks :shrug:

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 22, 2017

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

She does feel a sense of camaraderie to her fellow trainees, but those are the two that are family to her.

She doesn't. She hasn't made a single friendship in the training camp, even with people she met every day for three years. It's rare to even see her talking to them or acknowledge their presence if not necessary for the mission. She mostly spends time with Eren and Armin.

And when push comes to shove, she has the least problem with trying to kill her former companions - something that even mass murderers such as Berthold, Reiner and Annie couldn't really bring themselves to.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

It was a required episode but it was a boring episode.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

DaveKap posted:

It was a required episode but it was a boring episode.

It was also the first episode this season to have actual filler in it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The only good part.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

abraxas posted:

I realize it's hard to follow last week and as someone said earlier, it's probably all set up for the rest of the season but that felt like a real waste of an episode in an already way-too-short season to me.
I felt that way to some degree as well, but it did set the stage for some political intrigue down the line, what with stuff being bad enough to force the Military Police to have to leave their enclave and actually put themselves in danger. Whether or not that's a good thing, given that Kabaneri happened, is up to you to decide. Still... I did notice that my feelings were largely "Oh man... I can't wait for what they've promised will happen next week" after the episode had ended, so there's more than a little bit of truth here.

quote:

I don't necessarily agree with this. Mikasa does want to be like a normal person, she just wants to be with Eren somewhere, anywhere. I actually thought that this episode was pretty good on that front, since it showed that Mikasa and Armin were both starting to realize what a dysfunctional relationship they had with the most infuriating protagonist seen in anime since Ichigo100%. That's actually character growth of a sort- early Mikasa only cared about Eren being safe, while current Mikasa seems to realize that Eren requires some degree of self-actualization in his goal of genocide against what we now know are sentient beings and is willing to support him to that end.

But yeah... the episode did feel like a bit of a waste.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Gantolandon posted:

And when push comes to shove, she has the least problem with trying to kill her former companions - something that even mass murderers such as Berthold, Reiner and Annie couldn't really bring themselves to.

Wait was that all there was in the anime? Around this time in the manga, Mikasa has a moment where she's internally conflicted because she feels that killing them probably would have been the best thing to do, but her feelings of camaraderie with them as fellow soldiers made it so she couldn't finish the job.

Also, I'll try not to white knight Mikasa too much here, because I get that she's really a hate her or love her character (with about half the loves are coming from a place of being attracted to her character), but I really like her as a character, because while she's nearly physically perfect, mentally and emotionally (which are Armin and Eren's biggest strengths), she is brittle, broken, and barely holding together. Her being insanely codependent on Eren is certainly a thing (and in my opinion, a very entertaining subversion of the "heroine who basically exists to prop up the hero"), but I give her a pass with flying colors because back when it seemed like Eren died, she dealt with her feelings of despair and be willing to live on without him, to the point of trying to take down a titan with a knife until either she died or the titan was dead. That was back when Armin's doubts about himself and his feelings that he shouldn't have been saved and Eren should have lived instead were mentally crippling him, and she immediately took Eren's role of reassuring him, saying something to the effect of "You're not useless to us. When we have time after we get through this, I'll let you know how."

As for her general coldness and uncaring attitude, I agree with the sentiment that the things she's seen are so horrific, her physical coping mechanism has been for her brain to just shut down certain emotional processes, and she laser focuses on the feelings that she feels strongest. I read her as observing, reacting to, and caring about the things around her that would inspire feelings, but mostly only externally expressing the things that are most important to her. On a scale of 1 to 10, Sasha is like a 2 (she gave her her bread after accusing Sasha of putting the whole hall in chaos for farting!), and Eren is an 11. I don't deny that she's uh, kind of hard to read, and most of her spoken lines tend to revolve around Eren and the many, many threats to his safety and well being.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mikasa's has a split second of hesitation right before she attacks Reiner, I believe, but she still follows through with an attack that would probably kill anyone else. Mikasa is so fast that you'd have to be just a little special yourself in order to capitalize on her hesitation. She's terrifying in that respect.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Shinjobi posted:

Mikasa's has a split second of hesitation right before she attacks Reiner, I believe, but she still follows through with an attack that would probably kill anyone else. Mikasa is so fast that you'd have to be just a little special yourself in order to capitalize on her hesitation. She's terrifying in that respect.
At this point is she only second to Levi in terms or strength, agility, and killing power? Or has she already passed him

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

RealFoxy posted:

At this point is she only second to Levi in terms or strength, agility, and killing power? Or has she already passed him

Distant second to Levi. He got hurt last season so he's not going to see action this one, but there's an OVA with his backstory you can watch where it shows how absurd he can be when he goes all out.

Mikasa is good but Levi just sort of... disassembles the enemy. Can't beat that spin-to-win.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
To be fair, Levi has years of experience on Mikasa, at this point. She's only been killing Titans for what, a few months? Levi's been at this for years.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Distant second to Levi. He got hurt last season so he's not going to see action this one, but there's an OVA with his backstory you can watch where it shows how absurd he can be when he goes all out.

Mikasa is good but Levi just sort of... disassembles the enemy. Can't beat that spin-to-win.

Huh, i didn't know about the OVA. Thanks!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Sylphid posted:

To be fair, Levi has years of experience on Mikasa, at this point. She's only been killing Titans for what, a few months? Levi's been at this for years.
That doesn't stop the other people who have been doing this for years from being really bad at their job

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If you are in a Titan fight and live I think that automatically puts you in the "pretty good" category

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Using 3DMG is no joke, nevermind engaging in high-speed melee combat with it.

The Survey Corps is pretty good about it, and all their members are shown competent with casualties occurring only in extenuating scenarios (caught by surprise or in the open where they can maneuver, abnormals, shifters). It's the Garrison that's only concerned with their members passing basic and didn't put serious drilling effort until after Wall Maria was breached.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

It was also the first episode this season to have actual filler in it.

No it isn't.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The basic training only gives the basic skills to take on a titan. After that, there is a strict selection criteria upon making contact with the enemy: anyone who can't keep calm, keep a cool head, not make mistakes, not lose situational awareness, dies. Once you've passed that, and gained some veterancy under your belt, you are very likely to continue surviving and steadily contribute. After all, you know how to keep your wits around you, that's all you need sans any surprises.

Eren failed that test. He has the raw ability, but he has a bad habit of choking and loving up in stressful situations, and that's it. Like Thatcher, you only need to get unlucky once.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's not like it's unheard of for people who have gone through trauma to become fiercely protective of whatever safety or happiness they can find to the exclusion of basically anything else. You can find that grating but it's not like it's a thing that doesn't happen in real life to some extent. But yeah, all three of them are dysfunctional as heck and can't exist without the other two.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I thought it was obvious since the first episode, though? Armin is Wisdom, Eren is Courage, and Mikasa is Power. It is a Zelda analogy.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Catalina posted:

Wait was that all there was in the anime? Around this time in the manga, Mikasa has a moment where she's internally conflicted because she feels that killing them probably would have been the best thing to do, but her feelings of camaraderie with them as fellow soldiers made it so she couldn't finish the job.

In anime this is less clear - she berates herself for not committing fully into attack. It's not very clear if it's because of any positive feelings for Berthold and Reiner, or just that attacking scared, unarmed people was difficult for her than slaughtering colossal monsters. She still would have killed them if not for their regeneration. Even Eren needed to see them transforming to finally get his poo poo together.

quote:

Also, I'll try not to white knight Mikasa too much here, because I get that she's really a hate her or love her character (with about half the loves are coming from a place of being attracted to her character), but I really like her as a character, because while she's nearly physically perfect, mentally and emotionally (which are Armin and Eren's biggest strengths), she is brittle, broken, and barely holding together. Her being insanely codependent on Eren is certainly a thing (and in my opinion, a very entertaining subversion of the "heroine who basically exists to prop up the hero"), but I give her a pass with flying colors because back when it seemed like Eren died, she dealt with her feelings of despair and be willing to live on without him, to the point of trying to take down a titan with a knife until either she died or the titan was dead. That was back when Armin's doubts about himself and his feelings that he shouldn't have been saved and Eren should have lived instead were mentally crippling him, and she immediately took Eren's role of reassuring him, saying something to the effect of "You're not useless to us. When we have time after we get through this, I'll let you know how."

As for her general coldness and uncaring attitude, I agree with the sentiment that the things she's seen are so horrific, her physical coping mechanism has been for her brain to just shut down certain emotional processes, and she laser focuses on the feelings that she feels strongest. I read her as observing, reacting to, and caring about the things around her that would inspire feelings, but mostly only externally expressing the things that are most important to her. On a scale of 1 to 10, Sasha is like a 2 (she gave her her bread after accusing Sasha of putting the whole hall in chaos for farting!), and Eren is an 11. I don't deny that she's uh, kind of hard to read, and most of her spoken lines tend to revolve around Eren and the many, many threats to his safety and well being.

I actually agree with the diagnosis - she suddenly lost not one, but two families in the span of several years. She clings to Eren because she doesn't have much left. In the world anyone can die a horrible death, making new friends seems like a waste of time, especially among candidates to Erwin's suicide squad. She's a perfect counterpart for Eren and Armin - they believe in a better world, she pretty much abandoned all hope and accepted that the universe is a horrible place. I'm not really sure if she even considers living with him as her brother-spouse, or is just content with them dying together.

It's her presentation that sometimes seems grating - the author tries too hard to remind us she cares about Eren.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mikasa's dependence on eren would be a lot worse if she had to rely on him in other ways (eren being worse in a fight and finding it frustrating that he has to rely on mikasa is part of his characterization) or if the show treated the other girls similarly, but thankfully it doesn't. so rather than just the show being bad at writing women, it's treated as part of who mikasa, specifically, is as a person

I can definitely understand people finding it frustrating that the cool female lead that annihilates titans barely ever expresses a thought that isn't about the male lead since that is a problem in a lot of stuff. for what it is tho, I think aot handles why she's like that well

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Where could I watch the OVAs?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Where could I watch the OVAs?

Nowhere. OVAs are not typically available on streaming sites, and clearly there's nowhere else where anyone might go to get anime episodes to watch.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

The only good part.

Someone needs to loop this with Chairman Kaga's theme and pepper crunch from Iron Chef

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

DaveKap posted:

The only good part.

Eating intensifies

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

mikasa's dependence on eren would be a lot worse if she had to rely on him in other ways (eren being worse in a fight and finding it frustrating that he has to rely on mikasa is part of his characterization) or if the show treated the other girls similarly, but thankfully it doesn't. so rather than just the show being bad at writing women, it's treated as part of who mikasa, specifically, is as a person

I can definitely understand people finding it frustrating that the cool female lead that annihilates titans barely ever expresses a thought that isn't about the male lead since that is a problem in a lot of stuff. for what it is tho, I think aot handles why she's like that well
At least she isn't constantly breaking down and waiting for Eren to save her, by all means she's perfectly capable of wrecking house on her own and if she weren't attached to Eren would probably be a whole lot stronger. She's more of an Asuka from Evangelion than your average female sidekick from other Shonen (Altho eventually Asuka did break down over Shinji, she was shoulders above Rei and Shinji which she first debuted.)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I just binged through the last four episodes, was completely blindsided by the Bert and Rein reveal, so blindsided that I thought my subs were bad, or that I had skipped an episode by accident. The way they show the reveal, casually, was unexpected and great. I'm glad I got to watch these episodes all at once. One question I had was who was the other person the colossal titan ate at the beginning of the fight? Also, I might need to re-watch season 1, but isn't Annie still on the loose? I thought it might be been Annie he was munching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I just binged through the last four episodes, was completely blindsided by the Bert and Rein reveal, so blindsided that I thought my subs were bad, or that I had skipped an episode by accident. The way they show the reveal, casually, was unexpected and great. I'm glad I got to watch these episodes all at once. One question I had was who was the other person the colossal titan ate at the beginning of the fight? Also, I might need to re-watch season 1, but isn't Annie still on the loose? I thought it might be been Annie he was munching.

Random soldier; Bert grabbed him for his 3DMG.

At the end of S1 Annie, on the verge of capture, encases herself in crystal (hardened titan tissue). It appears to be a form of stasis, and the substance is so tough their tools don't work to get her out, so for the moment she's confined underground until either she comes out on her own or they find a way to crack it open to interrogate her.

• Locked thread