Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, I didn't notice it was 2 months ago.

I did go look at her Twitter feed and it's been deleted. Her people probably got a warning letter and they deleted the post.

You can literally click on the tweet in this thread to see that it was not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You can literally click on the tweet in this thread to see that it was not.

Ok. So I got both the month and the year wrong. And she wasn't a government employee then and the FTC probably hadn't started cracking down on ads in social media yet.

But Juicero still spent money on a Trump endorsement, so I'm still better than them.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Ixian posted:

It absolutely is and is a total prizewinner when it comes to BWM. Literally doubling down on a bad idea.

Not that rolling negative equity in a regular car loan is good either, but doing it for a lease...my God. That said it is possible.

Wonder how easy it was for the dealership financing guy to type that one up through the tears of laughter.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bad With Houseboats

quote:

Last weekend I took a trip to Lake Shasta, CA to spend the weekend on the lake in a houseboat. My 15 person boat woke up at 7am on the morning of our boat check-in to start collecting trash and cleaning the boat. We gathered up every piece of visible trash on the boat, wiped down all sinks and counters, and even mopped and hosed down the boat to the best of our ability with the one mop the rental company provided us. Then upon our arrival at the Marina Sunday morning at 10:30am we were told that our boat was in terrible condition and that the trash needed to be collected and the boat mopped even though we already had done that. So my crew sticks around to unload trash, clean up every thing we possibly can see and try to mop the boat more than just moving the wet dirt around. After an additional hour of cleaning at the dock we decided that there was no way we could get the boat any cleaner with the tools provided so I told the majority of the passengers they can start the long 6 hour drive home while I (the lessee) finished the check-out.

After having them leave I told our deckhand that we did everything he told us to do and that we were finished, however he did not believe that we did any cleaning and claimed that I was "being negligent" to the mess on the boat. He then went on to say that if he could not convince me to go back onto the boat and make sure it was "spotless like the way you found it" that the contract I signed said he was allowed to forfeit our entire deposit without even doing a check for actual damages to the boat. I asked him how it was possible for the dirt on the boat to be $3000 and he said sorry but that he could get a manager if I wanted to. So naturally I asked to see him. The manager came up and asked what the problem was and I explained to him that I was confused as to why they were allowed to take my entire deposit without even checking the boat for the damages. The manager told me that it was in the contract I signed and that he can charge me what he wants me. I had the receptionist give me the contract I signed and after reading it twice I found nothing in it about the cleanliness of the boat when it returned. I told him that but he said it didn't matter and to call the owner of the company if I wanted and that I would hear the same thing.

I asked for a phone number of someone higher up and after some confusion between the manager and receptionist I was given a phone number to the sister marina Silverthorn Marina. After about an hour of transfers and explaining the situation I was told that I was being wronged but that there was nothing that they could do as they had no authority at Jones Valley and they were confused as to why the manager referred me to them.

So I went back to the manager, told him what I was told and asked him to take me through the boat, point out and explain where all $3000 of dirt but he still told me it was just everywhere and that he could charge me what he wanted. So I went back through the boat, took pictures and video of the "$3000 worth" of mess and noticed that the boat check in sheet was still only complete in one section an hour after they had decided that it was so dirty and damaged that they had to take the $3000 Security and Damage deposit from us without giving us a fair inspection and chance to earn some of our money back.

After reading the contract several times I have found no use of the word "negligence" even though that's what I was initially told was the cause to lose my deposit. Plus there is nothing about the cleanliness of the boat and it needing to be perfect to earn the deposit back. The contract states that the "lessee's damage deposit is not used for the normal wear and tear that happens to the boat because that is what you are paying for with the rental rate..".

This all seems like a situation of a greedy manager trying to take advantage of a 21 year old renting a houseboat for the first time. I don't know where else to look for help so please try to weigh in and let me know if I am in the wrong or if my deposit was illegally taken from me. If you've read this whole thing, thank you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6c9fl4/houseboat_marina_took_entire_3000_damage_deposit/

OP hasn't posted said pictures but I can only imagine since he admitted that their mop job was "moving the wet dirt around" and that they quit cleaning because their tools were not good enough that the boat was actually left in quite a mess.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zero One posted:

Bad With Houseboats

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6c9fl4/houseboat_marina_took_entire_3000_damage_deposit/

OP hasn't posted said pictures but I can only imagine since he admitted that their mop job was "moving the wet dirt around" and that they quit cleaning because their tools were not good enough that the boat was actually left in quite a mess.
Hard to say without those photos. Boat could be a wreck or just slightly dirty.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

e: missed a new page, but i'm keeping the pic because it's funny

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I was hoping there would be a derail so I can post this.
http://i.imgur.com/V5Y7hjz.mp4

But I'm posting it anyway ... for future use.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
The Wizard of Lies. I laughed so hard when the onimous movie music played when Bernie's wife had the horrifying experience of not being able to get a designer cut and color.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
It was weirdly sympathetic to the sons and the wife. They turned that around by the end a bit where the one son was like 'who the gently caress am i to complain I lived in luxury even if I wasn't complicit' but then the movie didn't exactly focus on the victims much. This is more of a problem with the medium than anything though, people don't tune in to see what happened to some dude who lost his life savings and blew his brains out.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Old BWM: internet-connected countertop juicing machines that use DRM'ed ingredient packs.
New BWM: internet-connected countertop beer-brewing machines that use DRM'ed ingredient packs.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Craptacular posted:

Old BWM: internet-connected countertop juicing machines that use DRM'ed ingredient packs.
New BWM: internet-connected countertop beer-brewing machines that use DRM'ed ingredient packs.

At least you can't just squeeze the beer out of these. To match this product you'd have to actually, I dunno, find some place that sold beer in bottles. Or cans even! Imagine, you could just pour ready to drink beer out of those. Who's with me?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Craptacular posted:

so it's a vaguely cool idea that solves a problem no one ever had.

Anyone who's blowing this much money homebrewing beer is going to be picky enough to want to do it decently, not like a keurig

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Anyone who's blowing this much money homebrewing beer is going to be picky enough to want to do it decently, not like a keurig

Funny, I remember thinking the exact same thing about coffee and Keurigs. Here's hoping this time we're right.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Isn't a huge part of the Keurig market stuff like offices where single serves of stuff is useful? I'm assuming most of those places aren't going to want a beer machine.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

TheFlyingLlama posted:

so it's a vaguely cool idea that solves a problem no one ever had.

5-10 years ago this was probably true, but there are a lot of people with too much money to blow on brewing stuff

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Isn't a huge part of the Keurig market stuff like offices where single serves of stuff is useful? I'm assuming most of those places aren't going to want a beer machine.

Yeah, my office has a Keurig and it's nice because on any given day, 0-3 people will want coffee, and they'll all want a different type.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Keurigs are insanely stupid for home use, but yeah, they are great for offices and the like. There's a keurig in the lounge/kitchen at my school and it would cause a near riot if it went down.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
My grandmother got my mom a Keurig as a gift and honestly it's actually pretty handy as a quick source of hot water for tea and poo poo if nothing else :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Weatherman posted:

Please stop it with the "wacky Japan" stories. Hey i heard you can go to shooting ranges in the US and fire machine guns at a photo target of your choice, how bout that incredibly violent and murderous everyday society over there amirite?"

Also Japan already has a net birth rate of less than zero, but they are scared to death of using immigration to bolster the numbers because a long list of worthless stereotypes they hold about filthy foreigners.

Stop being wacky then, because this is real fuckin' wacky. Also making fun of the US doesn't bother me because I, a US Citizen, agree that the US is a horrible third-world hell country that needs to be destroyed.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

ate all the Oreos posted:

Stop being wacky then, because this is real fuckin' wacky. Also making fun of the US doesn't bother me because I, a US Citizen, agree that the US is a horrible third-world hell country that needs to be destroyed.

That commercial wasn't wacky, it was heartbreaking. That dude is going to commit suicide.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Papa John Misty posted:

That commercial wasn't wacky, it was heartbreaking. That dude is going to commit suicide.

Yeah I know but Weatherman seems to have interpreted that as wacky so I responded the same :shrug: It is a very depressing $2700 product.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Eh you know what I'm kinda being too much of an rear end about this, sorry Weatherman I'll shut up :shobon:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TheQuietWilds posted:

Keurigs are insanely stupid for home use

A coworker got a nespresso machine on the guise of it saving money over their starbucks tab. Turns out the little pods have so little caffeine in them he was drinking way more of them than his starbucks bill. (He tended to get a quad-shot over ice in a trenta cup.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

A coworker got a nespresso machine on the guise of it saving money over their starbucks tab. Turns out the little pods have so little caffeine in them he was drinking way more of them than his starbucks bill. (He tended to get a quad-shot over ice in a trenta cup.)

Maybe he should just take caffeine pills at that point, since a quad shot is already more caffiene than is in a single pill

Or just methamphetamine

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
A quad espresso contains (a little) less caffeine than a grande drip coffee. Espresso may be high caffeine by volume, but there's so much less of it.

Fun fact: Tim Hortons has espresso cups, and you can buy a double espresso for less than a small drip coffee. It tastes... well, there's a reason it's not on the menu.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Saeku posted:

A quad espresso contains (a little) less caffeine than a grande drip coffee. Espresso may be high caffeine by volume, but there's so much less of it.

Fun fact: Tim Hortons has espresso cups, and you can buy a double espresso for less than a small drip coffee. It tastes... well, there's a reason it's not on the menu.

Google says it's 64mg per shot x 4 = 256mg, the caffeine pills I have in my drawer right here are 200mg per pill

e: It kinda feels wrong at first to get your caffeine fix from a pill instead of a drink but it's significantly less bad for you (no sugar or calories, unless you're just getting your coffee black all the time) and so much cheaper (like 60 200mg pills for $5)

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 21, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

Ice curdles pure espresso right? Sounds like he's a chump.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Eh you know what I'm kinda being too much of an rear end about this, sorry Weatherman I'll shut up :shobon:

Nah we're all good :hfive: I wasn't posting at you specifically, I meant other (almost always western) countries in general ought to stop. Sorry, I should have written it better.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Google says it's 64mg per shot x 4 = 256mg, the caffeine pills I have in my drawer right here are 200mg per pill

e: It kinda feels wrong at first to get your caffeine fix from a pill instead of a drink but it's significantly less bad for you (no sugar or calories, unless you're just getting your coffee black all the time) and so much cheaper (like 60 200mg pills for $5)

I was on the cusp of doing this when I got free coffee at work. (I do drink it black.) Have you noticed any health benefits beyond that? Might still buy them for the weekend.

Edit lol sorry, sorry, don't bird me!!!!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Once again, /r/personalfinance feels like cheating:

"Is this rental price too good to be true? Yes. posted:

My girlfriend found a house listed on Craigslist for $800/mo, 3 bedroom 2 bathroom 1,200 square foot house with a fireplace and big backyard. So she sends them an email and the guy replies later, saying that the realtor he was working with had screwed him over (somehow) and now he has taken the keys from them and he is gonna handle all of it himself. He said he was trying to sell the property but his job had him move to another state (California) and at this point he just wants someone to take care of the property for the 3 years that he will be gone.

So, after some emails back and forth he sends us the applications which were basically written up himself on Word. What I found strange was that we did NOT provide any sort of personal identification aside from references/place of work/past rental history. So I assume there was no credit check. We send the applications back and he says they were approved and that he must handwrite the lease so it might take a few days to get it all typed up.

So he's asking for $800/month, and $800 deposit. I've looked and the house is listed for sale on various realtor websites too. He encouraged us to go look at the house and look in the windows, look at the neighborhood, etc. He said once we sign the lease and pay that he will overnight the keys via FedEx and give us the receipt when he ships it out.

This is a very much "too good to be true" situation. He even mentioned all bills are paid except for trash. What can I do to assure myself that this isn't a scam? Should I call the realtor on the For sale sign outside the property? (He said the sign is still up only because he's out of the state).

Is this a scam?

Edit: I've searched the address online and his name does match the "online records" of being the owner. I've only communicates through email at this point. What's got me concerned also is that the Craigslist listing was flagged for removal when I asked my girlfriend about it..

"Dealing with $10k of identity theft is just too much of a bother posted:

This happened three year ago, my mother's ex took advantage of the fact she wasn't familiar with English and opened up three credit cards and took over her bank account. My mother never brought it to my attention since she didn't want to bother me from my studies. She just kept ignoring the debt collector calls and disposing the letters. These debts completely ruined her credit score. I do not live with my mother and, only found out last month when I was getting the mail for her. Each card has 4k plus debt that accumulatrd with interest, I assume, from three years ago.

Her ex did not have u.s. citizenship and went "missing" three years ago. I'm not sure what kind of proof that needs to be presented. Is there anything I can do to tend to this situation?

"Is $5 million in one bank stock a bad idea? posted:

I just recently learned this and could have never guessed. My grandparents always lived in a tiny home probably worth $100k, shared one base-model mini van, clipped every coupon, and pinched every penny. Now a widow, my grandma is still frugal as ever.

Long ago, my grandpa was an officer at a bank. This I knew. They were much smaller in his time, and as is typical, he was partially compensated with stock options. He paid $16 apiece for some number of shares that has grown to 100k after years of reinvesting. My grandpa has since passed, the bank has grown, and each share is worth about $55 now. Can't argue with that return historically, yet all dividends continue to be reinvested at the market price.

My grandpa knew money, and this plan was in place when he passed 6 years ago; part of me feels like I'm just missing something. They also had, and have, a financial adviser. Further, I also know it's commonplace for officers to hold large stakes in their companies, but I'm not so sure about after retirement.

Yet, everything I've learned from my education and line of work (in finance) is sounding alarms about this. What are your thoughts? Is this not insane?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dr. Chaco posted:

Yeah, my office has a Keurig and it's nice because on any given day, 0-3 people will want coffee, and they'll all want a different type.

In that kind of situation I would personally recommend spending the keurig money on an aeropress, a scale, a good grinder, and stocks of a couple of different roasts.

However! I was once in that exact setup, being exposed to the aeropress for the first time, and it turns out it's actually possible to be confused and afraid of the thing. Meanwhile, a monkey could probably independently discover how to insert pods and push buttons. And not even an ape, like a capuchin or tamarin or something.

What I'm saying is, some of us are dumber than monkeys so your office may already have the optimal setup.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
BW(Parents')Money:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/valedictorian-university-maryland-drops-out-school-two-managadze

I was going to bold a bunch of passages in the letter he wrote, but just read it.

It's long, but holy poo poo this kid has a terminal combination of dumb and smug.

(My favorite part is when he asks his parents to not be mad at him for dropping out after they paid all of his tuition because he needs a place to live while he looks for investors for his startup.)

Make sure to click his Youtube link to a video of him rapping about entrepreneurship.

quote:

The 2017 Valedictorian of University of Maryland drops out of school two weeks before graduation

Dear University of Maryland,

I was your Valedictorian until about a month ago and almost gave the Main Commencement Speech at graduation, but instead of giving the speech, I decided to follow my dreams, fail all my classes this semester, and drop out of school two weeks before graduation without getting a degree. If you would like to know why your Valedictorian dropped out of school, you're welcome to read my email to my parents below:

Dear Mom and Dad,

I finally found my destiny this semester in college.

I have finally understood how leadership, happiness, and fearlessness actually work.

Leadership is very simple.

All you need to have is a lot of confidence and a lot of empathy both at the same time.

You need confidence to know what you want to do and do it.

You need empathy to understand other people’s perspectives, emotions, wants, and desires so you can lead them and help them achieve their goals.

You make yourself happy and you make everybody around you happy.

You can’t have confidence without emotional intelligence or emotional intelligence without confidence.

You need both.

I have learned that there are only two real emotions in life: love and anger.

Life is not as complicated as people make it out to be as long as you’re not lazy.

Life is actually very simple.

We are always mentally at either peace or war.

You show love to your friends in peace and anger to your enemies in war.

That’s it.

Peace or War.

People are also easily divided in two categories: real friends or enemies.

This is what a real friend is: he supports you in every way possible, makes you feel better no matter what you’re going through, never judges you, never makes fun of you in a bad way, and always has your best interest in mind.

Every “friend” that does not fit this description is a fake friend.

You need to get rid of fake friends immediately. They’re only slowing you down.

Either try to convert them to your real friends or just completely ignore them forever.

I have finally also understood what passion really means.

Every human being on this planet only really has one passion - the passion of life.

If we are mentally at peace, we are passionate about life by doing what we love.

If we are mentally at war, we are passionate about life by fighting for it and protecting it.

Very simple.

You’re always happy, though.

Happiness is a choice.

You’re happy in peace.

You’re happy in war.

You’re always happy.

If you stop being lazy, stop listening to haters, and take control of your mind and all its thoughts and emotions, you can literally choose to be happy all the time.

From right now, till the second you die, you can always be happy if you want to.

Happiness is a choice.

I’m always happy, no matter what happens.

You think you need a reason to be happy?

I’m happy because I’m alive. Period.

There are no other emotions in life other than love and anger.

Fear?

What is fear?

Fear doesn’t make any sense to me.

Fear is not an emotion.

You can’t feel fear.

Fear is all in your head.

If it’s in your head that means you can completely block it out.

This semester I was able to block out every single fear I had in my head about absolutely everything.

I’m literally, by definition, fearless, and you can be too if you want to.

What are you afraid of?

Are you afraid of other human beings?

What?

Why?

What does that even mean?

Why would you fear someone of your own species?

If someone is a threat to your happiness in any way, then they are an enemy.

Aggressively defend yourself from your enemies, but also show mercy.

Just because somebody is your enemy, does not mean you necessarily have to hurt them.

You should do your absolute best to solve all your problems without unnecessarily hurting others.

Other human beings should not be your enemies.

Life is a collaboration, not a competition.

These are your real enemies: cancer, hunger, homelessness, all other diseases, the fact that we're running out of resources and haven't colonized other planets yet, the fact that we haven’t discovered life somewhere else in the universe, etc.

Are you afraid of failure?

What?

Why?

There is no such thing in life as failure.

Every “failure” and “mistake” is just a lesson.

Lessons on lessons on lessons.

Blessings on blessings on blessings.

Learn from your mistakes as soon as they happen, bounce back immediately, and move on with your life, faster and smarter than before.

Are you afraid of death?

What?

Why?

I could die right this second. I would die absolutely happy if I died right now.

And so on and on with all your other fears.

Fear is literally not a thing.

Fear is not a thing in peace.

Fear is not a thing in war.

Fear is never a thing.

Period.

I have learned that the number one most important part of getting rid of all fear is being completely honest to absolutely everybody (starting with yourself) about absolutely everything absolutely all the time.

Do you realize that when you lie, you literally create fear in your head that the other person might find out the truth?

You create fear?

In your own head?

On purpose?

Is that a joke?

Why would anybody do that?

If you want to be completely fearless, you have to be completely honest.

Very simple.

Boredom?

What is boredom?

Boredom is not an emotion either.

Boredom is literally the absence of life, the absence of passion.

Why would you ever be bored?

Do you enjoy being bored? That doesn’t make sense.

Being bored literally wastes your life away.

Every second of your life that you are bored, you are throwing those seconds away.

Please don’t ever be bored ever.

Boredom is not a thing.

There’s only two kinds of things in life: things you can do something about, and things you can’t do anything about.

The past is something you can’t do anything about because it’s already past.

Regret?

What’s regret?

You’re feeling bad about the past?

Why?

There’s absolutely nothing you can do about the past.

The only thing you can do is make peace with it and learn from it.

Regret is not a thing.

The future is something you can do something about.

It’s all in your hands.

Your story has not been written yet.

You are the only one who can write it.

Worry?

What’s worry?

You’re having a negative thought about the future?

Why?

If you want something, do something about it.

Make it happen.

Make your dreams actually come true.

Worry is not a thing.

The present is your greatest present.

Always live in the moment.

You only have one life.

Life’s beautiful.

You can do anything you want.

I cannot see heaven being much better than this.

Stay focused.

Don’t multitask.

Focus on one thing at a time.

Completely immerse yourself in what you are doing without any distracting thoughts.

That means, yes, when you are working, your phone should probably be on airplane mode.

All you have to do is make sure that you are absolutely happy in the present, no matter what you are doing.

If you are always happy in the present, then you will be happy in the past, present, and future. Think about it…

What’s the point of having any negative thoughts about the present, past, or future?

What’s the point of having any negative thoughts in your head at all?

You can’t be happy if you have any negative thoughts in your head.

That means when you judge others, you are literally creating negative thoughts in your head on purpose and purposefully making yourself unhappy.

Are you kidding me?

Why are you making yourself unhappy?

Why are you judging others?

Judgement means misunderstanding.

You don’t understand why other people are doing what they are doing.

They clearly have a good reason for doing what they’re doing, or they would not be doing it.

Stop judging.

Try to understand people instead of judging them.

Judging is not a thing.

Here’s one of the most important things in life: commitment.

How did Cortes overtake the Aztec empire with only 600 men against hundreds of thousands of enemies?

After landing on the beaches of Mexico, instead of charging right into battle, he camped out on the beach, gave motivational speeches to his army for multiple days, and then burned every single one of his boats.

There is no way back.

There is no safety net.

There is no backup plan.

There is no escape plan.

You only have two choices: you can either die, or you can ensure victory.

That’s it.

You’re one billion percent committed to your goal.

No thought of escape or failure whatsoever.

We all know how that story ended.

This semester I have finally understood that my true passion and dream is to become a self made entrepreneur.

A CEO.

That means I want to start my own company.

From scratch.

Without a degree.

Without getting a job anywhere.

And become a self made entrepreneur.

Why am I getting a degree if my dream is to not have a degree?

I don’t want a degree.

I don’t want any job that requires a degree, ever.

To me, a degree and any job that requires a degree, is an escape plan from my dreams.

I don’t need escape plans from my dreams.

I don’t need a back up plan in my life.

I don’t need a safety net.

I don’t ever want to work with anybody who thinks having a degree is more important than being fearless.

Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t waste any money, I fully completed my computer science major and technology entrepreneurship minor.

I got a computer science education and became a Valedictorian.

I only dropped out of school two weeks before graduation.

All I didn’t get was a piece of paper.

I believe in people.

I believe in honesty.

I believe in fearlessness.

I don’t believe in concepts the society made up if they don’t make sense to me.

Why are most people unable to become successful entrepreneurs?

Because they don’t persevere.

After a few ideas and start ups fail, they give up on their dream and get a job with their degree.

Guess what?

By not getting a degree, I completely eliminated the option of giving up on my start ups and getting a job from my entire life.

I will literarily never ever even have the option to give up, literally ever.

I will make my dreams come true or I will literally die trying.

That’s how passion works.

I will never work a day in my life, while also working every single day of my life, on my life.

Is it insanely difficult to become an entrepreneur from scratch?

Not if you want it badly enough.

Doing anything worth doing is difficult, but just because something is difficult does not mean it’s not worth doing.

I’m gonna make it work, one way or another, without a degree.

I don’t care how hard it gets or what kind of hell I have to go through for how many years to get there.

I’ll make it work.

Watch me.

By the way, I’m telling you everything post-factum.

You can’t change my mind about this.

I already purposefully failed all my exams this semester so there would be no way I could get my degree.

I already purposefully failed all my classes.

I already officially dropped out of the university.

You’re probably not very happy about my decision.

You’re probably very mad at me at this point.

Just remember that no matter how mad you’ll be at me, I’ll still always love you very much.

Please don't disown me yet though.

I really need a place to stay before my start ups get funded.

I don't even have money for food right now.

I’m literally almost always broke.

I literally get the “Your account is below $15” email from Bank of America on a weekly basis.

I currently have in my possession 1 US Dollar, 10 Canadian Dollars, and about 20 bucks in my bank account.

That’s all the money I have in the world.

That’s like two and a half Chipotle burritos and then I might actually die of hunger.

Last week I was trying to buy two sandwiches from Bagel Place and the cashier handed me back my debit card and said I could only buy one sandwich because my “gift card” ran out of money…

I don’t even have any money to buy any of this society’s dreams right now.

That’s why I’m building my own.

This is what my heart told me to do.

This is me ignoring the society’s ridiculous rules about life and truly following my heart’s most intimate desires.

27 million people have watched Steve Job’s 2005 Stanford Commencement Address but how many people do you know who actually took his advice literally and followed their heart?

Well, now you know at least one.

Am I absolutely crazy? Probably. It’s the crazy ones that change the world though, remember?

Dear Mom, I would not be anything near the person I am today without you. I would be completely lost in this world if you had not educated me. I can't even really express how much I love you. Thank you for always standing by my side and supporting me no matter what.

Dear Stepdad, I don’t know what I would have done if you had not come into my life and saved me. You have been my greatest inspiration my entire life. You grew up in one of the worst time periods ever in Soviet Union Georgia, a time when most of the country did not have money or food or electricity most of the time. But regardless of your circumstances, because of your unending hunger for more and more knowledge, relentless work ethic, and unbreakable dedication and determination for a better life, you made it from impoverished Georgia to a PhD in Germany and then an amazing job in Silicon Valley. I am proud to call you my father.

Also tell my little sister I love her.

I don't know if her reading skills are good enough yet to completely understand this message.

(That's a joke. She's around 13 and probably smarter than me.)

Love,

Your son.

That’s all.

I just wanted you to read the email I wrote to my parents.

By the way, education needs to be free for everybody immediately.

Anybody can become a computer scientist for almost free online without paying tens of thousands of bucks in an “education.”

I almost never went to any class ever after freshman year.

I literally became the Valedictorian by learning everything by myself at home and then only showing up to the exams.

Nobody needs to pay tens of thousands of bucks to sit in class either bored or asleep for 4 years.

Remember how boredom is the opposite of passion?

Every single second that you are bored in class is a second of your life wasted.

To be completely honest with you, literally none of my professors were able to inspire me in any way.

Even the director of my Hinman CEOs Entrepreneurship Program insulted me and told me that I wasn’t good enough to become an entrepreneur because my 3.94 GPA “could be higher.” Is that a joke?

I’m sorry University of Maryland, your campus is absolutely beautiful and I created amazing memories there, but I give you zero credit for my education.

The only people that deserve any credit for my success so far are my parents, my sister, my puppy, David Potter, Abb Kapoor, Camren Sonneveldt, Jonathan Galitzer, Michael Victor Blake, Andrew Creighton, Don Koller, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, Sean Parker, Sergey Brin, Larry Page, Jimmy Wales, Larry Sanger, Ben Horowitz, Marc Andreessen, Obama, Ellen DeGeneres, Jeff Cavaliere, G-Eazy, Drake, Big Sean, Kendrick, Logic, Eminem, Lil Wayne, 2 Chainz, Snoop Dogg, Meek Mill, Rick Ross, Busta Rhymes, K.A.A.N, iamtherealak, Kanye, and StackOverflow.

I was able to complete all my computer science major and technology entrepreneurship minor requirements in three years of college and became the Valedictorian, but because I did not waste any time going to classes, I also had time to work out every single day, pledge a fraternity, play sports, go out three times a week, and do a lot of other things…

Time is your most valuable, most precious, nonrenewable resource.

Please don’t waste any of it doing things you don’t enjoy.

I look at life as a really cool 4D 5-sense video game.

Completely open-world.

You can do whatever you want.

You create your own missions.

When you're facing a lot of monsters, challenges, difficulties, and enemies, that means you're going in the right direction.

When you make mistakes and are set back a little, you learn how to defeat those monsters better next time.

You never give up on your goals and you always play the game till the end.

You're always happy, even when you have to do really challenging missions and face really hard bosses that take many tries to kill.

You even have virtual trophies and achievements. That’s like your bucket list of really special memories and adventures: having sex in crazy interesting places, secretly blacking out in airports in Mexico over spring break, hotboxing cars, houses, hotels, sailboats, igloos, ice cream trucks, Etc.

I’m sorry but I have to cut this message a lot shorter than I want to.

I’m already extremely late to happy hour.

If you need any additional inspiring, I wrote a rap about entrepreneurship during my freshman year that you can listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3tWQnc92I

Have fun at graduation.

Gio Managadze.

Ex-Valedictorian of University of Maryland.

The College Dropout.

Self Made Entrepreneur.

What’s that? Facts.

These things happen when it’s dark out.

I Decided.

More life.

drat.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm not going to read all of that, nobody is, it sounds like he went nutters and is off to be found dead in a few years or something.

quote:

I’m sorry but I have to cut this message a lot shorter than I want to.

Jesus Christ

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
What the gently caress did I just read

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The onset of a mental disorder.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

BW(Parents')Money:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/valedictorian-university-maryland-drops-out-school-two-managadze

I was going to bold a bunch of passages in the letter he wrote, but just read it.

It's long, but holy poo poo this kid has a terminal combination of dumb and smug.

(My favorite part is when he asks his parents to not be mad at him for dropping out after they paid all of his tuition because he needs a place to live while he looks for investors for his startup.)

Make sure to click his Youtube link to a video of him rapping about entrepreneurship.

Mental break. Dude went schizo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What happens when Silicon Valley worship, multiple personality disorders, and cocaine are thrown in a blender together.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Motronic posted:

Assuming he's a traditional student, he would unfortunately be in the highest risk age range for the onset of severe mental illness.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Motronic posted:

Intensely arrogant yuppie hubris (I.A.Y.H)?

He reads like he read a Six Sigma / corporate cultist book, and attempted to slightly modify it.

To be fair to him, he just sounds like another naive teenager who has it all "figured out", as sadly, a younger Sic Semper Goon once was, until I actually had to deal with life outside the parental nest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
There are a lot of funny bits in there, but I thought the best part was that he thinks by being a college dropout, he's destined to be the next Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg.
And then he says that during his college experience, he never went to class but just stayed home and read the books instead.

Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard because he and (childhood friend & fellow student) Paul Allen had already started blowing people's minds with great software, and wanted to start getting paid for it. (Side note, met Steve Ballmer at Harvard too)
Zuckerberg dropped out because he got rich over the summer with his company (made of trusted peers he met at Harvard), so he kept rolling with it.

He didn't go to class. And he doesn't have a product he's already getting rich off of.
Way to miss the point, kid.