Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

go go sato-san

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
NO ATTACK

NO CHANCE

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Geez Turn 2 has been loving ruthless

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
3rd with a wall slap :drat:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CactusWeasle posted:

3rd with a wall slap :drat:

Two of them.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

it just still looks weird to see Scott Dixon not wearing the Target logo

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Dixon gonna win dis pole

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Special Ed with a low 232 to start

ABC loses their goddamn timing for the last runner of the day :facepalm:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

Dixon gonna win dis pole

Yup.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

WindyMan posted:

Dixon gonna win dis pole

The least offensive and least exciting pole winner. I thought Sato had it before touching the wall.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Dixon is of course the most boring result imaginable but drat that was a fast run

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Five cars shorted by the 9/24 rule (though RHR certainly ran better today than yesterday). Last year I'm pretty sure it was zero.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

IOwnCalculus posted:

Five cars shorted by the 9/24 rule (though RHR certainly ran better today than yesterday). Last year I'm pretty sure it was zero.

I'm still not sure how WIll Power got into the Fast 9, considering how mediocre his run today was. Plus RHR had a great run today and a bad early run yesterday.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FartingBedpost posted:

I'm still not sure how WIll Power got into the Fast 9, considering how mediocre his run today was. Plus RHR had a great run today and a bad early run yesterday.

I guess he couldn't find the Power. :haw:

But yeah, brand new engine for Nando, gets 5th

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Here's a little fun fact, last race Nando won was the 2013 Spanish Grand Prix. He started P5.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its staggering to consider that despite how little speed they lose through the corners we're never going to see 1996 speeds again

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they slow them down next year

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Its staggering to consider that despite how little speed they lose through the corners we're never going to see 1996 speeds again

Missing somewhere around 300hp will do that.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cygni posted:

honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they slow them down next year

Yeah, especially after Bourdais' crash yesterday. It'll be just as exciting to have them run for pole at 228-229.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Scott Dixon always likes to swoop in and take things when you least expect it.

Remember 2015? Everyone had Rahal or Montoya pegged as the title winner. apparently the entire grid was more worried he'd swoop in and take. And he did.

Subtle, but goddamn. That guy is a freak and has earned he right to be in discussion to be one of the GOAT'S. I think even Bobby Unser shrugged his shoulders when he passed him on the wins list and went "Yeah. He's that loving good".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only real issue I have with Dixon is that he always does so in the most subtle way possible. He's insanely good, but never by means of some crazy low-probability pass.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wait they had a cash prize for pole and it was only 100k? What the gently caress why even bother?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Wait they had a cash prize for pole and it was only 100k? What the gently caress why even bother?

Because none of these drivers are making $40m a year.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I guess? Still seems pretty tiny for the greatest race in the world or whatever?

Anyway. Pruett and Miller's coverage on racer is really making indy a lot more enjoyable for me this year.

Quali was a blast to watch. Sad Nando wasn't on the front row, but the laps were awesome. And I can use the new engine excuse here?

Sato scared the poo poo outa me for a second as well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Norns posted:

I guess? Still seems pretty tiny for the greatest race in the world or whatever?

It is, no doubt about it. The series pumps pretty much all of its money into the Leaders Circle to encourage full time entries, which means that prizes for all events are dinky.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think part of that is due to the only one run possible yesterday.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

I think part of that is due to the only one run possible yesterday.

True. Given more time I suspect we'd easily have seen more runs from the guys in 10th-14th.

Also, Nando's performance is even more impressive when the engine threw an overboost on the second lap.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
So Bourdais is out of the race. But what if they asked YOU to take his place?
Try to do so with Indianapolis 500: The Simulation

Will Ed lead off into turn 1? I have no idea but it's called a simulation so...

I modded the old game with the grid and performance of this year's cars. Hondas will be faster in the straights and slower in the corners.

I took off 4mph from the qual speed because I can't boost player car performance and while ~232-231 is possible in qualifying its really unfun to achieve. If everything is too easy I can return the numbers.

Get dosbox and extract the files from the zip and use runme.bat (otherwise you'll get PC speaker sound which is terrible) within Dosbox.
If you're not familiar with DOS the commands will be
Z:\> mount c c:\directoryUnzippedTo
Z:\> c:\
C:\> runme

Filez:
http://dropcanvas.com/4hgm8

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Indy 500 was the first sim I ever played, back when it was current

e- also here, play it in your browser https://archive.org/details/msdos_Indianapolis_500_The_Simulation_1989

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I never played the original since I had a 68k Mac when that game was relevant. IndyCar / ICR2 took up quite a few hours, though.

"I'm Paul Page. From Papyrus, this is IndyCar Racing 2."

I remember having to go through all kinds of fuckery to get a full track set in ICR2 between track packs and converters to take tracks from all variants of Papyrus sims.

It also just occurred to me that Papyrus was way ahead of the curve on DLC.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I never did get IMS for ICR2.

IOwnCalculus posted:

"I'm Paul Page. From Papyrus, this is IndyCar Racing 2."
I've got that song stuck in my head now. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqLAkdESrgo

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You had to get a third party converter and import it from ICR1 or maybe the Brickyard expansion for NASCAR. I don't think there was an official IMS for ICR2.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah, I just never had any luck getting a hold of ICR1. I think there was even a converter to import from the Indy 500 sim game to ICR2 if my memory serves.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

Quali was a blast to watch. Sad Nando wasn't on the front row, but the laps were awesome. And I can use the new engine excuse here?

Sato scared the poo poo outa me for a second as well.

I know he's been pretty quick but considering how fast Sato went in the Fast 9 I'm going to chalk that up to the track getting better throughout qualifying. That said, Alonso got P5, which is still second row. Incredible.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Uncle Jam posted:

So Bourdais is out of the race. But what if they asked YOU to take his place?
Try to do so with Indianapolis 500: The Simulation

Will Ed lead off into turn 1? I have no idea but it's called a simulation so...

I modded the old game with the grid and performance of this year's cars. Hondas will be faster in the straights and slower in the corners.

You're doing the Lord's work son.

FartingBedpost posted:

I mean, it's gonna feel even worse when notable Chevy driver Ed Carpenter gets pole. I feel like Penske is really underperforming.

Yeah I noticed Wil talking about the gap to "The Hondas", clearly hoping everyone will forget a team consisting of a man of indeterminate quantity of chromosomes and a part timer just stuck both their cars ahead of him.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wait a second.

Qualifying is over, no-one qualified the ex-Bourdais entry.

So surely Davison can't race?

Is there an existing provision for this or are they going to cheat it "For the show"?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Wait a second.

Is there an existing provision for this or are they going to cheat it "For the show"?

Let's just file it under force majeure or "acts of God" and call it good. I don't think anyone would say Davison shouldn't race considering the circumstances.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Rossi and Nando press conference after qualifying: https://youtu.be/D3Q8HWnzkD8
8:35 and 13:25 are some good moments.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Dudley posted:

Wait a second.

Davidson will start 33rd in Bourdais' car since the team was unable to repair the car in time for qualifying yesterday.

Rule 8.4.3.4.1 posted:

The fastest thirty-three (33) Cars completing Qualifying attempts on Saturday shall start the Race. However, for every Car unable to complete their Guaranteed Attempt, as described in Rule 8.4.3.4, there will be an equal number of temporary positions available at the rear of the starting field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Awesome, I assumed there would be a citation.

Presumably if there had been 34 entrants he'd be SOL though?

• Locked thread