Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The theme is stupid and as usual I don't care one bit and I think we're all being big babies and complaining about nothing because we know the theme will last all of three episodes before there's a tribe swap and then it will be meaningless except for Jeff trying to force it at Tribals.

Like, we do this every season and it always plays the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
To be fair, worlds apart was straight up terrible. At least half of each tribe was packed with bad humans and worse television. The only people I consistently liked over the course of the season were Tyler, Shirin, and Jenn. Joey Amazing, Sierra, and Hali were inoffensive, but the rest of them would look better running around in circles with their clothing on fire.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 21, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maybe, but that's still just casting. It doesn't matter how dumb the theme is. Casting either will or won't find 6 interesting players who vaguely fit the "healer" or "hustler" label.

Wait, you liked Tyler? And got nothing out of Jenn? We definitely have different standards for what makes an interesting character. But that's ok and it still just a wait and see to see how the cast shakes out.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 21, 2017

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

do emt's, nurses and doctors go on the heroes or healers tribe?

i hope the healers tribe is full of new age spiritualists with conflicting beliefs so we get a reiki vs chiro throwdown

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

Maybe, but that's still just casting. It doesn't matter how dumb the theme is. Casting either will or won't find 6 interesting players who vaguely fit the "healer" or "hustler" label.

Wait, you liked Tyler? And got nothing out of Jenn? We definitely have different standards for what makes an interesting character. But that's ok and it still just a wait and see to see how the cast shakes out.

I effing loved Jenn, and I'm sad that Rob C and CBS seem to hate her.

I guess Tyler was more inoffensive than good, but I don't know! I had a soft spot for him for some reason. I forget whether or not Carolyn axing him was a Good Move or a Mistake, but it ramped up my already keen distaste of her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love Jenn but given how fed up she clearly was with the game and how much of a poo poo she was taking out of it by the end I don't really blame CBS for hating her.

Like, I loved it and think they could serve to take themselves a little less seriously. But I get why you wouldn't want to bring back someone who mentally quit on the game and instead of actually quitting just mocked the hell out of it.

I don't know anything about Rob C hating her but he always strikes me as a little up his own rear end about himself and Survivor so I imagine she did much the same thing with him.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
There are people itt who know more than I do, but I think she made a crass comment over the Family Feud game he hosted, and has proceeded to show up at his LA events mind-numbingly drunk and explicitly uninvited.

I'd have to rewatch, which I will not, but if she was seriously that checked out of the game, would she have saved herself with idol? And can you loving BLAME her? She was on a tribe with that crazy nut who was just short of molesting her, and also Will Sims. And then Will Sims somehow got even worse and also flipped post-merge. She knew she was a dead girl walking. I can't claim I'd have handled it any better, especially if my clit had gotten stung by a bee during an endurance challenge.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, she was actively asking them to vote her out. If I remember right she outright said that using the idol was less about saving herself and more about sticking it to the people she hated.

I don't really blame her. Being pagonged has to be a miserable experience and she was having a miserable time on the island. If she had quit I would have been a little soured on her, but I can enjoy her deciding she'll keep playing it out but not pretend she's enjoying it. There's an honesty to that I can appreciate and I didn't much like that cast either.

But if we're honest we have to acknowledge that plenty of people have had worse Survivor experiences than Jenn and got through it with more grace and appreciation. So as much as I like her, she really was a baby.

But also I don't blame the Survivor Production for never wanting to see her again. And if she just behaves crudely around Rob C's stuff I can't blame him... even if I think his stuff is really kind of lame and would probably be laughing with Jenn.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 21, 2017

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Wasn't she in her early 20's? It's not like she pulled a Na'onka or a Varner or anything. She was good TV. It's like we've been saying about Michaela. Give her some time to chill and she'd be amazing, but whatever, I guess. :sigh:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think I'm saying anything especially bad about her. Like I said, I loved her. But there's no real question that she behaved immaturely and handled a miserable experience worse than a lot of people do on this show. That's not some irredeemable sin or anything and she's a kid, but its understandable why the Survivor "family" doesn't really want to deal with it or waste spots on her until she grows up.

And yeah, Michaela shares some qualities with her but Michaela seems to have a little more maturity in appreciating the game she signed up for and acknowledging her own screw ups. If Jenn had done that she probably would have been back.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

I can't tell if CBS is actually getting feedback that people like the themes so they keep doing them, or if they know we dislike the themes but also that they'll bring in enough traffic to justify it.

I mean the last 'non-themed' season was Philippines, five years ago.
We should've had a season called Survivor: Generations but obviously some marketing bigwig figured you need the word "Millennials" in there to really grab people's attention. So I get it and why that might pull in slightly more viewers, especially compared to something unfamiliar like "Tocantins" or "Marqeusas." But what the gently caress is heroes healers hustlers lol

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Jenn being immature and annoying wasn't just a one-off in her last two episodes when she asked to be voted off. Don't forget, she was being so mean to Nina that Jenn was almost the second person voted out of the season, and was saved by the grace of Will flipping at the last second due to a miscommunication with Vince.

Jenn was far from the worst person on that season, but I don't really have any desire to see her again or really anyone from Worlds Apart besides Shirin, Mike, and maybe Carolyn.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

There are people itt who know more than I do, but I think she made a crass comment over the Family Feud game he hosted, and has proceeded to show up at his LA events mind-numbingly drunk and explicitly uninvited.
Yep that's basically it. When he did Survivor Family Feud, she said before it started, "You know I'm going to ruin this, right?" I think she was just making a flip comment but he took it really seriously like she was literally declaring her premeditated intention to sabotage the event he'd worked to set up.

Then he didn't invite her to the live LA Know It Alls because he was still mad about that, but Max got her in. While there she tweeted that she was doing a Survivor show (even though she wasn't even invited) and then really drove Rob crazy after as he waited like an hour for the venue people to get with him and settle up his bill or whatever. Everyone else went on to the after party but she stayed there and annoyed him that entire hour because she was trying to hang around long enough to see the next act.

i've been listening to RHAP stuff for years and it's just really funny to me because I've never seen him ever get as mad at anyone as he is at Jenn Brown, basically because she made a snide remark once and annoyed him another time

edit: I guess the fact that it's so unusual might mean she's really really annoying?

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 21, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It sounds like Jenn just likes to stir up poo poo and Rob C didn't appreciate it because he takes his poo poo seriously. Personally I find his stuff a little silly and think he could stand to be humbled, so I of course laugh at the idea of Jenn mildly antagonizing him (assuming it was mild and not like her being a belligerent rear end in a top hat). But I can still appreciate that Rob C doesn't want any of it because its his job.

mancalamania posted:

Jenn being immature and annoying wasn't just a one-off in her last two episodes when she asked to be voted off. Don't forget, she was being so mean to Nina that Jenn was almost the second person voted out of the season, and was saved by the grace of Will flipping at the last second due to a miscommunication with Vince.

Jenn was far from the worst person on that season, but I don't really have any desire to see her again or really anyone from Worlds Apart besides Shirin, Mike, and maybe Carolyn.

I don't think we actually saw any indication that Jenn and Hali were actually mean to Nina. And just based on Hali's second appearance it seems unlikely to me that she'd go out of her way to be rude to someone in the game. At worst I imagine Jenn was just completely unsympathetic to Nina feeling out of place and isolated and made sarcastic comments about it. I mean, we'll never have the insight to see if Nina really was overreacting or not but that's the impression the show gave. And with the benefit of hindsight they probably had no reason to be generous to Jenn's edit if she had genuinely done something to Nina.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I was at the Los Angeles live Know it Alls with both of them last year and Jenn was an absolute terror. In addition to the stuff mentioned earlier she was also yelling and heckling throughout the entire thing, antagonizing people and insulting the fans who showed up. I enjoyed her on the show but it's totally understandable why she's the one person Rob really hates (and you know she deserves it when you look at how patient he is with other people like Eliza)

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think we actually saw any indication that Jenn and Hali were actually mean to Nina. And just based on Hali's second appearance it seems unlikely to me that she'd go out of her way to be rude to someone in the game. At worst I imagine Jenn was just completely unsympathetic to Nina feeling out of place and isolated and made sarcastic comments about it. I mean, we'll never have the insight to see if Nina really was overreacting or not but that's the impression the show gave. And with the benefit of hindsight they probably had no reason to be generous to Jenn's edit if she had genuinely done something to Nina.

I agree about Hali, but the way the show portrayed it was more that Hali and Joe were being callous but also sympathetic to Nina and making a (mostly failed) effort to include her. Jenn was the one being actively rude and exclusionary (mostly in confessional, but also out). I don't see any reason to give Jenn the benefit of the doubt here, considering her actions in the endgame and post-show have been pretty consistent with her being a generally mean and immature person.

Her "snark" in confessionals was a little more endearing in the midgame when she was a scrappy underdog with an idol plotting against the main alliance of Rodney and Dan, but even then she was more of a poor-man's Courtney Yates with double the meanness but half of the wit.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
[quote="Fast Luck" post=""472573924"]
Then he didn't invite her to the live LA Know It Alls because he was still mad about that, but Max got her in. While there she tweeted that she was doing a Survivor show (even though she wasn't even invited) and then really drove Rob crazy after as he waited like an hour for the venue people to get with him and settle up his bill or whatever. Everyone else went on to the after party but she stayed there and annoyed him that entire hour because she was trying to hang around long enough to see the next act.
[/quote]

I see you listened to the patron cast from last April or whenever. I was the guy who called in about this and was on the other line when Rob was explaining this and ranting about her. That was fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I totally agree that Joe and Hali were sympathetic but unphased while Jenn was just plain unsympathetic and sarcastic. That's what I meant as the worst case. I didn't get the sense she was actively being mean to Nina, just that she was completely indifferent to the fact that Nina was upset and feeling isolated and didn't let up on her when it became clear she couldn't handle Jenn's sarcasm and humor. Which is a kind of rear end in a top hat way to behave in general but isn't really actively malicious.

I think Courtney is a reasonable comparison but having just rewatched China I can't in any way agree that Jenn was "double as mean" as Courtney. Courtney was REALLY mean and I don't remember Jenn being that bad at all. But I do think she was the same kind of sarcastic smart rear end who didn't care if someone (Nina) didn't like it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

bbf2 posted:

I see you listened to the patron cast from last April or whenever. I was the guy who called in about this and was on the other line when Rob was explaining this and ranting about her. That was fun.

I actually started giving Rob five bucks a month, because his podcasting makes my commute tolerable. I think new patrons do have access to older podcasts. Can you source the date on that for me? I'm effing dying to know.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I totally agree that Joe and Hali were sympathetic but unphased while Jenn was just plain unsympathetic and sarcastic. That's what I meant as the worst case. I didn't get the sense she was actively being mean to Nina, just that she was completely indifferent to the fact that Nina was upset and feeling isolated and didn't let up on her when it became clear she couldn't handle Jenn's sarcasm and humor. Which is a kind of rear end in a top hat way to behave in general but isn't really actively malicious.

I think Courtney is a reasonable comparison but having just rewatched China I can't in any way agree that Jenn was "double as mean" as Courtney. Courtney was REALLY mean and I don't remember Jenn being that bad at all. But I do think she was the same kind of sarcastic smart rear end who didn't care if someone (Nina) didn't like it.

:same:

I hate hate hate hate hate hate HATED Courtney on China. Couldn't loving stand her. Like, her vendetta against Genre Bear was stupid and nearly fractured her alliance, but in HvV her personality got edited better and holy hell she's now one of my absolute favorites.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Jenn is maybe the midpoint between Courtney (awesome, hilarious) and Corinne (unbearable, thinks "being snarky" is inherently an entertaining personality trait)

I think after her season she talked about how she only liked Survivor for the challenges as a viewer, so based on that alone she is a freak who I do not need to see on my TV ever again

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually mostly liked Courtney on China. Like, I find her hilarious 90% of the time and being a lifelong New Yorker I know and love a ton of people just like her. But she was a complete and total rear end in a top hat and I'm not going to claim otherwise. And there's that 10% of stuff I can't defend.

I'd guess the main difference for her between China and HvV is that she had Sandra who is the same sort of sense of humor and personality but with more maturity and social graces. So Courtney probably felt more at ease and could let her worse stuff go with Sandra who would laugh at it.

xbilkis posted:

Jenn is maybe the midpoint between Courtney (awesome, hilarious) and Corinne (unbearable, thinks "being snarky" is inherently an entertaining personality trait)

I think after her season she talked about how she only liked Survivor for the challenges as a viewer, so based on that alone she is a freak who I do not need to see on my TV ever again

I think that's the main thing. Jenn just clearly doesn't enjoy or "appreciate" the game of Survivor. Which is totally fine but it means she can't humor the rituals or Rob C stuff when she clearly thinks its all a silly joke. And she's not entirely wrong, but she's an rear end for making GBS threads on the nerds' party. People we've compared to her like Michaela and Courtney at least seem to "get" the idea of the game and humor it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 22, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah! You're not getting Courtney's vote for being a failure at life!

Ninja: this is funny because Courtney is a waitress.

Actual edit: goat knows Courtney's from Boston, right?

Wicked pissah.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The differences between BvW and SJDS show that it doesn't really matter what theme CBS makes as long as they can back it up with casting. A good cast will make the game work despite Probst's horrible pandering to the theme.

Honestly I think Brains/Brawn/Beauty has been their best modern 'division'. Other than sucker-punching people like Alecia who would have done a little better on a different tribe, it's made one great season and one season that's kinda mediocre but gets better towards the end.

Worlds Apart is interesting for me in that it has some good stuff going on, such as Rodney somehow being the most unlikely second/third best player and Mike going on the immunity run to end all immunity runs. It's just kinda bogged down by the utter lack of strategy and Will and Dan and to a lesser extent Rodney (and even Mike didn't get off scot-free).

So it's a bit like Gabon I guess, but instead of just entertaining it's mildly uncomfortable.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why are we not treating Worlds Apart like a deep, dark, family secret?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah! You're not getting Courtney's vote for being a failure at life!

Ninja: this is funny because Courtney is a waitress.

Actual edit: goat knows Courtney's from Boston, right?

Wicked pissah.

I didn't, but the secret is that New York, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, DC, whatever. All us North East assholes are the exact same kind of rear end in a top hat who just pretend we're better than each other. If it weren't for the accents and whatever game gear we're wearing, you wouldn't be able to tell us apart.

Except Jersey. Jersey's the worst.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 22, 2017

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm not surprised he didn't know that, because in China, they make a gigantic deal about how Courtney is a New York City Waitress

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's really all I knew about her personally. I really don't follow any of this stuff beyond the show and the occasional RHAP.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Professor Shark posted:

Why are we not treating Worlds Apart like a deep, dark, family secret?

Because it's still probably better than One World.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

There are people itt who know more than I do, but I think she [Jenn Brown] made a crass comment over the Family Feud game he hosted, and has proceeded to show up at his LA events mind-numbingly drunk and explicitly uninvited.

This is accurate.

Give her some time to chill and she'd be amazing

This is not accurate.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
If One World had the midget sleeping in a box that was shown once and never mentioned again, like it was the most normal thing in the world then that's not the worst season. :colbert:

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

ApplesandOranges posted:

it doesn't have colton so it's absolutely better than one world. will was nearly as bad though.

mike was cool though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Adus posted:

it doesn't have colton so it's absolutely better than one world. will was nearly as bad though.

mike was cool though.

Mike was a little preachy at the start of the game. And trying to sneak away an advantage win is a surefire way to doom your social standing.

But if Mike can win despite a giant blunder like that, Cirie can. The jury videos indicate that a lot of them are rooting for Cirie - they're crediting most of Sarah's moves to Cirie instead. Which makes her the interesting opposite to Sarah (and Brad). Sarah has a huge resume and should have no trouble making it to F4 at least, but she's also angered most of the jury bar Zeke and maybe Andrea. Cirie is I think a surefire win if she makes it to the end, even if she sits next to Sarah. The problem is she has no real routes to get there. Her best hope right now is Aubry. Aubry's swayed Tai before, she could possibly do it again. Problem is that Brad and Troy are both perfectly acceptable allies for Tai's morality (unlike Scot and Jason), and at the very least, Tai should be looking to stick with Troyzan til the end.

I doubt we'd see an Aubry/Tai/Troy finish; if we were we'd be seeing more Aubry confessionals. But I think that at this point, Sarah needs to lay off the big moves, start playing up to the jury, and make sure to get Cirie out if she wants to win. She's made her resume, she just needs to make sure she presents it well.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

Mike was a little preachy at the start of the game. And trying to sneak away an advantage win is a surefire way to doom your social standing.

But if Mike can win despite a giant blunder like that, Cirie can. The jury videos indicate that a lot of them are rooting for Cirie - they're crediting most of Sarah's moves to Cirie instead. Which makes her the interesting opposite to Sarah (and Brad). Sarah has a huge resume and should have no trouble making it to F4 at least, but she's also angered most of the jury bar Zeke and maybe Andrea. Cirie is I think a surefire win if she makes it to the end, even if she sits next to Sarah. The problem is she has no real routes to get there. Her best hope right now is Aubry. Aubry's swayed Tai before, she could possibly do it again. Problem is that Brad and Troy are both perfectly acceptable allies for Tai's morality (unlike Scot and Jason), and at the very least, Tai should be looking to stick with Troyzan til the end.

I doubt we'd see an Aubry/Tai/Troy finish; if we were we'd be seeing more Aubry confessionals. But I think that at this point, Sarah needs to lay off the big moves, start playing up to the jury, and make sure to get Cirie out if she wants to win. She's made her resume, she just needs to make sure she presents it well.

If any one of Brad Troy or Tai win next Immunity, they can hold together and be the Final 3.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

I didn't, but the secret is that New York, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, DC, whatever. All us North East assholes are the exact same kind of rear end in a top hat who just pretend we're better than each other. If it weren't for the accents and whatever game gear we're wearing, you wouldn't be able to tell us apart.

Except Jersey. Jersey's the worst.

Oh, wow, Mr. New Yorker Man. Wow.

I'm sorry, but I need to clarify here. I live in LA and I feel like a foreigner, because I basically am. Let me lay it out for you.

First off, gently caress your irrational hatred of Jersey. Jersey is great. You might falsely associate it with Jersey Shore, but please keep in mind that those dickbags are all from Connecticut.

But you do. not. call New York assholes on par with Boston assholes.

Boston is a realm of dickishness that New York trembles before and aspires to live by.

If New York tells you to get outta here, Boston tells you to go gently caress yourself. If New York complains about traffic, Boston can't contain its laughter and points to that nice, clean grid that New Yorkers get to use. If New York tries to cop an accent, Boston decides to give Matt Damon and Ben Affleck some Oscars and make drat sure that the rest of the country full well knows that Bostonian isn't intelligible without subtitles.

But at the very least, New York and Boston can agree that DC can go gently caress itself. Maybe if it finishes without chafing itself too badly, it can go to work on Maryland and Virginia for us.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
OP has gone mad. :gas:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

OP has gone mad. :gas:

Yeah. I generally say about a quarter of what I wish to, or else these soft west coast people would 51-50 me yesterday ;)

Baddog
May 12, 2001
boston is indeed the loving best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

My bad, I got confused and was thinking of One World

• Locked thread