Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

vivisecting posted:

Thanks for the input, guys. What do you think about this for the ram

Probably would, although my first instinct is just to use Crucial's website to figure out a supported module for a given Mac and buy that

quote:

and this for the SSD?

Would not. Independent of whether you want to buy their RAM, Mushkin is not a brand to trust in SSDs. For slightly less money you can get a WD Blue, which is the new name of the SanDisk x400 now that WD owns SanDisk. The x400 is one of the two SSD thread top picks for consumer SATA drives. The other thread top pick is the Samsung 850 EVO, which I regard as a tier above the Blue/x400 and is what I personally would buy, but is a little more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Hardware h.265 decoding, if I remember correctly.

And vp9 so no more YouTube battery drain

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

Bob Morales posted:

8GB Corsair Mac Memory

Picked these up today at a local Memory Express and got them to price match it with Newegg as well. So now I just gotta like... do it. I didn't realise that I needed to clone my OS tho (duh) so I guess I'll just clean the thing and install the ram for now.

Edit: I swapped the ram and emptied half a can of compressed air into the innards and now my faulty usb works. My track pad also works now, but I guess it was never really broken, I guess some years ago I just somehow turned off the click options in system preferences LOL

This 8gigs of ram is such a significant boost that I might just return the SSD!

vivisecting fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 22, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

vivisecting posted:

This 8gigs of ram is such a significant boost that I might just return the SSD!

Don't do this

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

while I understand where you're coming from, I need to consider the fact that $200 CAD would definitely buy me a weekend away with my girlfriend in an exotic European locale.

lesbian sex romp? or the ability to play my emulated games slightly faster? HMMMMMMMM

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Emulators won’t run any faster with a SSD.

The game fits in RAM anyway.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
if you like the way it runs already there's no reason to spend extra money

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

vivisecting posted:

while I understand where you're coming from, I need to consider the fact that $200 CAD would definitely buy me a weekend away with my girlfriend in an exotic European locale.

lesbian sex romp? or the ability to play my emulated games slightly faster? HMMMMMMMM
For me a flight back and forth for one person usually costs as much as a used MacBook. If I were you, I'd just put up a tent in the woods, put my current old laptop outside and have it play a few scenes from Woody Allen movies, and make out in that "Kulisse", as we say in Europe. Though maybe that just means I'm very bad at sex and thus value it less than shiny things

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

vivisecting posted:

If you don't use the SSD then any upgrade is basically for naught.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You couldn't pay me to go back to HDD boot times after I slapped the SSD in my 2012

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

goddamn the next Mac Pro / Mini better be stellar to compete with some of the hackintoshes people are cranking out. $3k+ for a trashcan just can't be the deal going forward when you can get a 6 core xeon setup going for a third of that.

A mid-range quad-core iMac is $2k. That includes a 5k IPS display.

The second-weakest iMac is $500 more than the high-spec Mac Mini but includes 2 extra cores, a 1080p IPS display and a better (or comparable) gpu. It's just insane how little you get for that amount of money.

well why not fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 22, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You couldn't pay me to go back to HDD boot times after I slapped the SSD in my 2012

or running updates, lauching big apps, doing 2 things at once...

I have been on an SSD since 2010 (80GB X-25)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:yossame:

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

vivisecting posted:

I know its a bit offtopic but I'd like to hear more about how to get from North America to Europe for a weekend, and on top of that, do anything or stay anywhere, for what Google tells me is ~148 US Dollars.
I can drive to Canada if need be, because clearly I've been Doing It Wrong with this whole European vacation thing.

:allears:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I know its a bit offtopic but I'd like to hear more about how to get from North America to Europe for a weekend, and on top of that, do anything or stay anywhere, for what Google tells me is ~148 US Dollars.
I can drive to Canada if need be, because clearly I've been Doing It Wrong with this whole European vacation thing.

If you get really drunk and wake up in Quebec, it can seem like an European country.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Ah, I'll be in the UK all summer anyway, and we were planning to take some weekend trips to other places in Europe. That's all!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

vivisecting posted:

Ah, I'll be in the UK all summer anyway, and we were planning to take some weekend trips to other places in Europe. That's all!

Go to Budapest if you can, I went there with my GF last October and we had a blast. It's super cheap and there's so much to see and do. Highly recommended.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

vivisecting posted:

The feelings from a lesbian sex romp are transient. The happiness with how much an SSD improves your (computing) life will last forever.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SourKraut posted:

The happiness with how much an SSD improves your (computing) life will last forever.

Not if you're a big idiot like me who bought a Sarnsung SSD.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

~Coxy posted:

Not if you're a big idiot like me who bought a Sarnsung SSD.

840? Because I've been happy with my Samsung SSDs (a couple of 830s and a few 850 EVOs).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah I was looking at buying an 850 EVO. Is there a reason to be concerned?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Those are good drives.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah, to be clear the 840 is the bad one.

850s are fixed, I believe, although the fix is probably just the same dodgy method as the 840 firmware update.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

well why not posted:

goddamn the next Mac Pro / Mini better be stellar to compete with some of the hackintoshes people are cranking out. $3k+ for a trashcan just can't be the deal going forward when you can get a 6 core xeon setup going for a third of that.

A mid-range quad-core iMac is $2k. That includes a 5k IPS display.

The second-weakest iMac is $500 more than the high-spec Mac Mini but includes 2 extra cores, a 1080p IPS display and a better (or comparable) gpu. It's just insane how little you get for that amount of money.

Unless they come out with a non-Xeon Pro it will still be a good bit more expensive than a Hackintosh. The processors alone can cost more than an entire non-Xeon system.

I hope they do it, but I doubt they will.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Surely they've learnt their lesson and will offer more than two choices for a Pro model... Ideally you'd be able to get a high end i7, i9 or Xeon configured. The dream would be user-upgradeable CPU and GPU with standard PC parts. Reality is probably more like specific supported parts but who knows. Xeons are expensive but not every single Pro needs a 6+ core system with ECC.

I wish they'd just hurry up and announce what'll happen with this system.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing you can have absolute faith in is they will find some way to make a lot of people very emotional and angry about their product design choices.

No spinning disk option.
No Ethernet, just wireless.
Have it hover in the air instead of giving it feet.
Four words: Mac Pro on battery.
Mandatory pairing with Apple Watch.
New startup chime is holocaust denial, chanted in Farsi.
Only case option: rose gold.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, to be clear the 840 is the bad one.

850s are fixed, I believe, although the fix is probably just the same dodgy method as the 840 firmware update.

Not really dodgy though? I can see where you got the idea from because a lot of tech press articles misinterpreted what they did (a scrubbing background process to rewrite fading data) as a new and shady thing, but actually a ton of SSDs have this. The firmware fix just made their scrubber more proactive.

In any case, with the 850 Samsung leapfrogged the competition by shipping 3D NAND flash well ahead of anyone else. 3D has a ton of benefits, and one of them is significantly less fade (and correspondingly higher endurance). For a consumer SATA drive, the #1 absolute best is an 850 Pro and #2 is an 850 Evo (and if you don't plan on writing poo poo tons of data every day you won't get any real benefit from the Pro version).

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cingulate posted:

The one thing you can have absolute faith in is they will find some way to make a lot of people very emotional and angry about their product design choices.

No spinning disk option.
No Ethernet, just wireless.
Have it hover in the air instead of giving it feet.
Four words: Mac Pro on battery.
Mandatory pairing with Apple Watch.
New startup chime is holocaust denial, chanted in Farsi.
Only case option: rose gold.

I'd be happy with most of these but feel free to speculate on which.

I'm also going to gripe in this thread every week until they release some more info.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

BobHoward posted:

Not really dodgy though? I can see where you got the idea from because a lot of tech press articles misinterpreted what they did (a scrubbing background process to rewrite fading data) as a new and shady thing, but actually a ton of SSDs have this. The firmware fix just made their scrubber more proactive.

In any case, with the 850 Samsung leapfrogged the competition by shipping 3D NAND flash well ahead of anyone else. 3D has a ton of benefits, and one of them is significantly less fade (and correspondingly higher endurance). For a consumer SATA drive, the #1 absolute best is an 850 Pro and #2 is an 850 Evo (and if you don't plan on writing poo poo tons of data every day you won't get any real benefit from the Pro version).

Fair enough then.
I keep meaning to flatten and reinstall my 840 but can never find the time so I get bitter about it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

well why not posted:

Surely they've learnt their lesson and will offer more than two choices for a Pro model... Ideally you'd be able to get a high end i7, i9 or Xeon configured. The dream would be user-upgradeable CPU and GPU with standard PC parts. Reality is probably more like specific supported parts but who knows. Xeons are expensive but not every single Pro needs a 6+ core system with ECC.

I wish they'd just hurry up and announce what'll happen with this system.

If apple got away with shipping only Xeons in the tower Mac Pros you can bet the next one is gong to stick with that. Y'all need to give up your hackintosh dreams - apple hasn't ever cared about the $1000-1500 tower market.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
As some of y'all may have seen in HTS, I've been nursing a 2010 MacBook Air long for years, dealing with power cord troubles, gunked airflow, etc. I finally took it to a great little computer shop in Portland OR that cleaned it top-to-bottom and put in a new battery, though it's still kinda slow (HD is packed) and the track-pad a little wonky, but at least it works.

I'd been avoiding buying a new MacBook because they just don't excite me; they're basically the same externally as what I have now, just faster. Going from a white plastic brick 2005 MacBook to the 2010 Air was absolutely amazing, and I wanted that feeling again. Well, I got it by getting a 9.7 iPad Pro and a Logitech Create case, and it's just adorable and quick as hell and interfaces with my phone and the Apple Watch I have coming in.

I'm going to back-up and empty out my Air of everything but MS Suite and whatnot, and give it to my 13yr old cousin when he comes to stay for the summer in Montreal. Thanks thread(s) for all the past help.

Quick new question: I really didn't think I need an Apple Pencil, since I don't draw much, but I'm sufficiently stoked by my new rig to give it a shot. Should I instead wait and see if the aftermarket makes a better non-Apple one, or is the AP probably as good as it gets? And the white looks lovely, is there any company that can do a hydro-wrap on it or something (not just a sticker, something durable) to make it cool? I would love to have it with a Bakelite wrap, for example. Thanks!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Might be a better question for the iPad Thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552944

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

vivisecting posted:

Use your fat SSD to record movies of said lesbian sex romp and sell them in order to afford a whole lot of vacations. Duh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What are the odds of getting those sweet rear end i9's in the new iMac?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

What are the odds of getting those sweet rear end i9's in the new iMac?

Definitely not in the next one, and probably not in the one after that either; they run so hot that Intel says you probably shouldn't run them without water cooling.

Weedle fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 30, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Way, way too spicy for that form factor. The next Mini or Pro, who knows?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

well why not posted:

Way, way too spicy for that form factor. The next Mini or Pro, who knows?

The new i9 mini: largely the same shape and same components as a jug of water.

Also known as "AppleCare, why is my computer leaking?"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Haha yeah, I'm not sure how they'll manage to keep it cool if they tried to jam it in the mini. Maybe one with a lower TDP and a revised cooler could make it viable?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Arivia posted:

The new i9 mini: largely the same shape and same components as a jug of water.

Also known as "AppleCare, why is my computer leaking?"

Everything old is new again (c.f. watercooled PowerMac G5).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd pay whatever they wanted for a glossy plastic blue / white Mac Pro with 2018 specs.