Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

KPC_Mammon posted:

I really liked her evasion tank gimmick the first time I played her. Then I reached the boss of the core set who'd unexhaust after every player's turn and she was completely worthless.

It left a sour enough taste in my mouth that I've not wanted to play her again.

https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/622/the-girl-who-killed-umrdhoth-combo-wendy-the-gathering-2.0

Yet she can be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

thocan posted:

Looks like the Core and Dunwich Legacy have been on the boat since mid-april. Anyone know how accurate FFG's 4-6 week boat-to-shelves estimate is nowadays? I remember for a while they were nowhere close to meeting that with X Wing restocking.

Word is end of May from distribution but who knows anymore.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Word is end of May from distribution but who knows anymore.

Hey, that's more of an answer than my LGS had for me. I'll go with "cautious optimism" about actually playing this game outside of Tabletop Simulator for now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

PJOmega posted:

Paper + pen proxies. Screw the deck building shuffle.

I like that things are limited. We do have two core sets though.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Obama 2012 posted:

I'll be at the FFG HQ retail store tomorrow, they always have a bunch. I can send you one if you want, just PM me.

Received it in the mail today, thank you for being a kind goon.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Rad Valtar posted:

Received it in the mail today, thank you for being a kind goon.

'Community Service' I call it. Maybe I can build up enough karma to somehow get my hands on Marie Lambeau!

If anybody else is having trouble finding AH expansions in stock, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Obama 2012 posted:

'Community Service' I call it. Maybe I can build up enough karma to somehow get my hands on Marie Lambeau!

If anybody else is having trouble finding AH expansions in stock, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Can confirm. Sent me a Miskatonic Museum after CSI messed up my order and ran out of stock.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Obama 2012 posted:

You're good people, you got me for two packs. As before, thanks Obama.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have all the cards so far, and I am having guys over to play next week.

Which 4 (or 5) investigators should I build? I need to make sure they are very different.

I was thinking Roland, Skids, The Hobo, Daisy, and the Trumpet Player.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

dexefiend posted:

Which 4 (or 5) investigators should I build? I need to make sure they are very different.

Daisy, Wendy, Skids, Jim. If you want to add another, Ashcan Pete.

It's likely how I built him, but I find Roland and Skids to play kinda similar.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

dexefiend posted:

I think that Jim Culver excels at hard difficulty due to the way he changes the skull token. I'd be hesitant to use him on standard or easy (which is what you should be playing with new people), let alone have someone brand new to the game try him out. On easy he is just an underwhelming Agnes and might give a bad first impression when his special ability almost never does anything.

That said, I'd be tempted to throw together decks for all of the Dunwich investigators without any splash cards. Players will quickly see how the different classes work and everyone will play very differently. It'll also avoid being too optimal, so people can feel good about spending XP after the first mission when they find out they can take 5 cross class and upgraded cards.

Dunwich investigators also have more health/sanity, so more margin of error for new players.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is there any reason (besides being a bloody stupid use of 6 resources 90% of the time) I can't trigger 2 Pathfinder cards each turn?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Fat Samurai posted:

Is there any reason (besides being a bloody stupid use of 6 resources 90% of the time) I can't trigger 2 Pathfinder cards each turn?

None whatsoever. You are the most Pathfinderest of Pathfinders.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

None whatsoever. You are the most Pathfinderest of Pathfinders.

I dunno... wouldn't that be using Teamwork in a 4 person game to take 2 pathfinders from every other player so you have 8?

Is that even legal? It shouldn't be...

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Obama 2012 posted:

I dunno... wouldn't that be using Teamwork in a 4 person game to take 2 pathfinders from every other player so you have 8?

Is that even legal? It shouldn't be...

Teamwork can only exchange Assets with the Ally or Item subtype.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

PJOmega posted:

Teamwork can only exchange Assets with the Ally or Item subtype.

I knew it was too good to be true.

I've decided to try making Agnes a drug addict. With both Painkillers and a Smoking Pipe in play she can turn physical damage into mental to trigger her ability at will, then turn it right back into physical damage. I don't know for sure though, can damage hitting the pipe be assigned to assets like a Bulletproof Vest?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Obama 2012 posted:

... can damage hitting the pipe be assigned to assets like a Bulletproof Vest?

Yes. Smoking Pipe does not force you to take direct damage, so it can be assigned to other viable assets.

Clearly your bulletproof vest is styled as a smoking jacket.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
New article up about spending experience during a campaign. Nothing terribly amazing about it, but they did preview one card that I think we haven't seen yet:

I dig this one a lot. More to deck out Jim!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

New article up about spending experience during a campaign. Nothing terribly amazing about it, but they did preview one card that I think we haven't seen yet:

I dig this one a lot. More to deck out Jim!

Yeah that'll really help him.

Also I've found that Jim's kinda a monster in the Dunwich scenarios. The ratio of skills is pretty high, so you end up with so many outs so much of the time. When nearly half of the chaos bag ends up being even or better on skill tests (can't forget your candles!) you have so much more freedom.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm such a child all I can see is Jewel of Areolas

Legacy and the Core set are both back in stock at CSI. http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/233370

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Played my first game of this about a week ago, just me and a buddy. I think i'm gonna go all in on this because we had a lot of fun. We ended up falling to the Doom counter on the third(?) part of the first campaign. We only needed one more unique Cultist but he was just too far away. A new shop in Indianapolis has a lot of physical product luckily so I'll be able to get my hands on the expansion

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Anyone has a list of 4 decks that you can make with a complete (2 cores) collection? I have a 4 player game coming tomorrow, I'm bad at deckbuilding, busy tonight and usually play 2 player. :supaburn:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Anyone has a list of 4 decks that you can make with a complete (2 cores) collection? I have a 4 player game coming tomorrow, I'm bad at deckbuilding, busy tonight and usually play 2 player. :supaburn:

For the core set, simply make 4 mono decks with 10 neutrals each. If you want you can have the odd one out get picked over for bits. That is, if you don't use Daisy you can give the detective some of her kit.

For my money the best would be Daisy, Skids, Agnes, abd Survivor Girl. Give Skids weapons from the guardian pile and you've got a reasonably balanced team.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry, badly explained. I have all the published stuff, plus an extra core. Thanks for trying, though :3:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
A general suggestion building on PJOmega's: start with some mono-role decks, make them thematic rather than fine-tuned, and go from there. Part of the fun, in my opinion, is the bit of roleplaying the game encourages and simply seeing what happens to your character, even if it's horrible.

i.e. If you're going with Agnes, give her some cool spells, some witchy allies, and maybe some :catdrugs:. If going with Jenny, give her lots of money and ways to use it, etc.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Sorry, badly explained. I have all the published stuff, plus an extra core. Thanks for trying, though :3:

I'd still say keep it mono-color to each deck, with heavy focus on core set cards. Maybe some exceptions for some of the expansion cards (cough, ritual candles, cough). Make it clear with each deck "this is what my faction focuses on."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I finally tracked down Miskatonic Museum. Time to get hilariously owned by this game once more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Where did you find it?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Where did you find it?

Hidden in the shelves of my game store.

Seriously.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Looks like you passed your investigation check.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I just managed to find a copy of the Core set, Dunwuch expac, and the Carnivale standalone at my FLGS, so I of course grabbed all of them and I'm super stoked to give this game a shot tonight.

Does any have any recommended "how to play" videos or is there a summary post I should check out or anything? If I'm planning on playing with a friend this evening, should I run through the initial trial scenario first to know how it goes, or is it better / more fun to do it blind together tonight?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Hey, hosed up and accidentally bought a second copy of unseen and undimensioned, anyone need a copy? I'll let it go for face plus shipping. Also, it was opened, but all content is there.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/6/echoes-of-the-past/

Desperate times call for Desperate cards.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Interesting concept. Don't know if they'll see play outside of characters with very low Sanity like Roland. Losing the draw is a very big deal. If they overrode the auto-fail then that'd be a huge thing.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

PJOmega posted:

Don't know if they'll see play outside of characters with very low Sanity like Roland.

It'll sure be interesting with Agnes. I could also envision some yolo decks aiming to freefall down to 3 sanity and stay there via Culver's trumpet, Peter Sylvestre etc.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
So, Where Doom Awaits came out this week and finally reveals the secrets of Strange Solution.

It has three different versions, each cost 1 resource / 4 xp. Can only be included by upgrading from unidentified Strange Solution after it has been identified during the ongoing campaign (duh). Every version comes into play with 4 supplies, first version is heal 2 dmg from any investigator at same location, second is Fight with base skill 6 and +2 dmg, third is Evade with base skill 6. Icons are 2 will, 2 combat and 2 agi, respectively.

Seems very strong, but also quite a bit of hoops to jump through and a fair amount of luck needed to get good use out of it, so might not be worth it in the end? Need to try it out though.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

So, Where Doom Awaits came out this week and finally reveals the secrets of Strange Solution.

It has three different versions, each cost 1 resource / 4 xp. Can only be included by upgrading from unidentified Strange Solution after it has been identified during the ongoing campaign (duh). Every version comes into play with 4 supplies, first version is heal 2 dmg from any investigator at same location, second is Fight with base skill 6 and +2 dmg, third is Evade with base skill 6. Icons are 2 will, 2 combat and 2 agi, respectively.

Seems very strong, but also quite a bit of hoops to jump through and a fair amount of luck needed to get good use out of it, so might not be worth it in the end? Need to try it out though.

I have been playing a Daisy Walker deck and each release has me feeling more and more underpowered relative to the other classes, at least where combat is concerned and once stuff like Mind over Matter is spent. I am glad there is an appropriately Seeker-ish answer to this. Seems really versatile, if a little expensive/risky to get in the deck.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I misplaced the box containing our decks, and it's starting to look like the misplacement was permanent. Is there a place selling singles for AH?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I misplaced the box containing our decks, and it's starting to look like the misplacement was permanent. Is there a place selling singles for AH?

Given the nature of the game and it's distribution model, I highly doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

I'm agonizing over whether or not to throw together a new character or try and finish the last two Dunwich scenarios with my battered, broken Zoey. She was always a little nutty, but Undimensioned and Unseen pushed her up to 5 mental trauma, meaning she'll start the game 1 brain away from madness.

On the other hand, she's got a hell of a lot of experience sunk into her. Also, I've already played through Where Doom Awaits with my solo Roland and found out the hard way that it might very well be the last Dunwich scenario if we fail. If that's the case, I worry it's a bit late in game to be trying to bring in someone new.

If I can get my hands on an amulet or some booze early on I could be fine, but if not she could end up going insane and throwing the game for the whole team.

quote:

Zoey Samaras

Assets
1x First Aid (Core Set)
2x Machete (Core Set)
1x Beat Cop[2] (Core Set)
2x Shotgun[4] (Core Set)
1x Elder Sign Amulet[3] (Core Set)
1x Zoey's Cross (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x Liquid Courage (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x Brother Xavier[1] (The Miskatonic Museum)
1x Bandolier (The Essex County Express)
1x Relic Hunter[3] (The Essex County Express)
1x Keen Eye[3] (Blood on the Altar)

Events
1x Evidence! (Core Set)
2x Dodge (Core Set)
2x Extra Ammunition[1] (Core Set)
1x Elusive (Core Set)
1x Drawn to the Flame (Core Set)
1x Teamwork (The Dunwich Legacy)
2x Taunt[2] (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x Emergency Aid (The Miskatonic Museum)
1x Prepared for the Worst (Blood on the Altar)
2x "If it bleeds..." (Undimensioned and Unseen)

Skills
2x Vicious Blow (Core Set)
1x Perception (Core Set)
1x Overpower (Core Set)
1x Manual Dexterity (Core Set)
1x Unexpected Courage (Core Set)

Treacheries
1x Smite the Wicked (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x Across Space and Time (The Essex County Express)

Enemies
1x Mob Enforcer (Core Set)

Decisions!

Obama 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 16, 2017