Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gonz posted:

Season 3 of 12 Monkeys was 110% pure filth. The kind of filth that gets stuck under your fingernails after cleaning out a dirty gutter. It will work it's way inside any open wound and infect you with it's sickness and filthiness. You will become ill with 12 Monkeys Fever.

Needless to say, if you were on the fence about watching it, you need to watch it.

If ever there was a statement free of hyperbole, it's definitely this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gonz posted:

Season 3 of 12 Monkeys was 110% pure filth. The kind of filth that gets stuck under your fingernails after cleaning out a dirty gutter. It will work it's way inside any open wound and infect you with it's sickness and filthiness. You will become ill with 12 Monkeys Fever.

Needless to say, if you were on the fence about watching it, you need to watch it.
That seems like a reason to not watch it. :confused:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rocksicles posted:

If ever there was a statement free of hyperbole, it's definitely this one.

Intentionally outrageous hyperbole aside, it's very well done, and i'm glad they released it all over the weekend for binging purposes. James Callis was an exceptional addition to the cast, and it's one of the better shows on TV with regards to the actual physics of time travel.

Emily Hampshire's Jennifer Goines character is easily one of my top 5 favorites on TV right now. She killed it this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I254cTZ5NOY

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gonz posted:

Intentionally outrageous hyperbole aside, it's very well done, and i'm glad they released it all over the weekend for binging purposes. James Callis was an exceptional addition to the cast, and it's one of the better shows on TV with regards to the actual physics of time travel.

Emily Hampshire's Jennifer Goines character is easily one of my top 5 favorites on TV right now. She killed it this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I254cTZ5NOY

I agree, it was the tits.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I greatly look forward to binging S3 of 12 Monkeys just as soon as I'm done binging S2.

And I am greatly looking forward to what looks like an even weirder S2 of Preacher.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, definately one of the most interesting things coming up this year. I just wish selling people on Preacher wasn't so difficult.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah, definately one of the most interesting things coming up this year. I just wish selling people on Preacher wasn't so difficult.

my brother HATED the first season. He's a fan of the comics, so he's allergic to change.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I never read the comic, either, but I was aware of it and it's general synopsis. It took a little while for Season 1 to find it's footing, but the 2nd half was special. The second season being a road trip seems like there will be less dragging of feet at times.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rocksicles posted:

my brother HATED the first season. He's a fan of the comics, so he's allergic to change.

If I was one of those people who'd waited 20 years for a live action adaptation on HBO, only for the live aciton adaptation to decide it's doing its own thing, I'd be pissed too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

If I was one of those people who'd waited 20 years for a live action adaptation on HBO, only for the live aciton adaptation to decide it's doing its own thing, I'd be pissed too.

It's selective rage. He's got no reasoning, just took a dislike to Tulip and that was that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

It's selective rage. He's got no reasoning, just took a dislike to Tulip and that was that.

Garth Ennis fans, what can ya do.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVpRr1-PGgM

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hahaha All's forgiven Lance.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ZRHjC5wGI

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Binging with Babish just did some Twin Peaks food.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEoSBL25RO4

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I am hyped.

Lurdiak posted:

I waited twenty years for this and I love the series. I also think the casting has been fantastic.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 22, 2017

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I watched the pilot of Dark Angel on a whim on Saturday because I was curious how the show has aged. I'm almost done with season 1 now, send help!

The show is in a really weird sweet spot for me. I love the setting, the dialogue is so cheesy that comes back around to being awesome and the music kicks rear end. And somehow Jessica Alba just works in that role. Her acting is awful but for some reason she makes the terrible/amazing 90's dialogue work so well that I can't stop watching this stupid show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gonz posted:

[12 Monkeys] is one of the better shows on TV with regards to the actual physics of time travel.

I like the show, but there is absolutely no way this is true.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't start a multiple page argument about fake science. That's what the Trek thread is for.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As much as I loved season 1 of Preacher, I am willing to lay down money that season 2 will be better in every conceivable way (except that Jackie Earl Haley won't be in it anymore).

I am also pretty certain that absolutely nothing this year will top Twin Peaks: The Return. We do not deserve David Lynch. Maybe a Trump presidency was the price we had to pay to live in a universe weird enough to give Lynch 18 hours of free reign to do whatever the gently caress he wants.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popelmon posted:

I watched the pilot of Dark Angel on a whim on Saturday because I was curious how the show has aged. I'm almost done with season 1 now, send help!

The show is in a really weird sweet spot for me. I love the setting, the dialogue is so cheesy that comes back around to being awesome and the music kicks rear end. And somehow Jessica Alba just works in that role. Her acting is awful but for some reason she makes the terrible/amazing 90's dialogue work so well that I can't stop watching this stupid show.

It mostly holds up, the MVP of that show is Kevin Durand. Young Jansen Ackles is exactly the same as old Jansen Ackles. Liedecker is awesome. Original Cindy BIP BIP BIP!

I liked how Max was like Batman.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Popelmon posted:

poo poo now you're gonna make me do the same! Is it on some streaming service? I have the DVDs somewhere but I have no idea where they are.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Rocksicles posted:

It mostly holds up, the MVP of that show is Kevin Durand. Young Jansen Ackles is exactly the same as old Jansen Ackles. Liedecker is awesome. Original Cindy BIP BIP BIP!

I liked how Max was like Batman.

I had a good laugh when she introduced herself as Original Cindy. That name is peak 90s. And she keeps referring to herself in the third person!

Vodos posted:

poo poo now you're gonna make me do the same! Is it on some streaming service? I have the DVDs somewhere but I have no idea where they are.

I had to dig out my old DVDs, it's not streaming on any platform in my country.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popelmon posted:

I had a good laugh when she introduced herself as Original Cindy. That name is peak 90s. And she keeps referring to herself in the third person!

I had to dig out my old DVDs, it's not streaming on any platform in my country.

edit: reading is fun

Yeah Cindy is great. The Jam Pony Scoobies are all awesome. Young Felix Geata, Herbal Thought!

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 22, 2017

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I watched it when it first aired, I don't remember anything though so everything is a nice surprise!

Edit: That was 16 years ago. Jesus.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Watching Twin Peaks on amazon is great because you get all their little pop up trivia like "Kyle McLachlan maintains a website for his two dogs"

But also, man, nobody in the cast looks 26 years older, especially the Sheriff's receptionist but also everyone else.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rocksicles posted:

hahaha All's forgiven Lance.

nah, he's still a big ol' piece of poo poo.

Popelmon posted:

The only person with more cringey dialogue than Jessica Alba's character is the jamaican guy that talks like no jamaican, or west indian in general, I have ever met. It's making me cringe right now thinking about it, man that was a bad show.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 22, 2017

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

raditts posted:

The only person with more cringey dialogue than Jessica Alba's character is the jamaican guy that talks like no jamaican, or west indian in general, I have ever met. It's making me cringe right now thinking about it, man that was a bad show.

Do you remember his name? It's Herbal Thought. Not making this up. The show really is a relict from a different time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alimi Ballard accent is great, patois is a very fluid accent. I knew a Jamaican lady who spoke normal until you brought up Jamaican food, then you couldn't understand a word she said.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 22, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

Watching Twin Peaks on amazon is great because you get all their little pop up trivia like "Kyle McLachlan maintains a website for his two dogs"

But also, man, nobody in the cast looks 26 years older, especially the Sheriff's receptionist but also everyone else.

It helps that a lot of the central cast of the original were playing characters a bit older than the actors were.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wow, twin peaks. holy poo poo it's so good

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

wow, twin peaks. holy poo poo it's so good

I have literally no idea what I just watched.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There's sadness in seeing the log lady in TWIN PEAKS. There's a sadness in seeing a lot of the cast actually. Lynch doesn't shy away from the ravages of time like so many revival shows might do (Usually there's a little off handed joke). Seeing her giving a goodbye to Hawk was surprisingly emotional, even without knowing that she passed like right after.

Above all, that's what Lynch's imitators miss out on. He's earnest and emotional. Some of the best moments of the show were these little moments of humanity. I don't think his stuff would ever work without it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I saw an ad on the subway today for The Jim Jeffries Show. Judging by the picture on the ad (Jim holding a newspaper that's on fire), it looks like yet another "comedian talks about current events" show that's so prevalent on Comedy Central and other channels. Someday, there will be a market correction on those kinds of shows, because they're arguably more concerned with making a point and being right than being funny. But as it stands, CC is stuck in a rut and trying to replicate the success of Inside Amy Schumer and Broad City without knowing why audiences love those shows. It's similar to how over ten years ago, they were fixated with "edgy" comedy shows by cranking out half-assed attempts at Chappelle's Show.

It's a shame, because I like Jim Jeffries's standup, and I also thought that Legit was a great show. Too bad that the second season was on FXX and nobody watched it, it added a lot of heart to the central concept.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty much how I felt after seeing the commercial, too. Legit was fantastic stuff.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just wanted to dip in and say season 3 of kimmy Schmidt has been amazing. I like it just as much as season 1, if not a little more.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

get that OUT of my face posted:

I saw an ad on the subway today for The Jim Jeffries Show. Judging by the picture on the ad (Jim holding a newspaper that's on fire), it looks like yet another "comedian talks about current events" show that's so prevalent on Comedy Central and other channels. Someday, there will be a market correction on those kinds of shows, because they're arguably more concerned with making a point and being right than being funny. But as it stands, CC is stuck in a rut and trying to replicate the success of Inside Amy Schumer and Broad City without knowing why audiences love those shows. It's similar to how over ten years ago, they were fixated with "edgy" comedy shows by cranking out half-assed attempts at Chappelle's Show.

It's a shame, because I like Jim Jeffries's standup, and I also thought that Legit was a great show. Too bad that the second season was on FXX and nobody watched it, it added a lot of heart to the central concept.

Funny thing, Inside Amy Shumer definitely started out as a half assed Chappelle show knock off.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

soooo excited for Freddie Highmore as a cycling frenchman

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, they're all basically just sketch comedy shows. They're a pretty standard and good comedy format and the quality depends a lot on the comedians involved in it.

Over the last couple of weeks I've being quasi-binging Key and Peele on Hulu, watched some old Ben Stiller Show stuff on Youtube, and randomly caught an episode of Laugh In on my digital antenna. Its just an old stand by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A friend just introduced me to Key and Peele's sketches of the last few years and suddenly Get Out felt like the only logical conclusion.

• Locked thread