Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

This is extremely bad advice. Wolves are at least a little interactive and provide some free components with regularly scheduled attacks. Spiders make having a base near impossible on spider planets. Wolves are barely ok for starting, and spiders are ok as long as you're just not starting out on a spider planet. Meteor showers are just bad.

------

Anyways, I have a question to ask you guys!
Right now I'm working on a progression system centered around unlocking blocks as you go. It'll still be open and sandboxy and you can do whatever you want at your own pace, but to unlock everything you got to do these "chalenges" and right pirate facilities and such. It's coded and everything!

How do you guys feel about the projector block being locked? With my unlocking system, you won't be able to see or use locked blocks in the g-menu, but this won't prevent locked blocks from appearing on blueprints with projectors. Do you guys think it would still be fine to have access to projectors? Or would this be too game breaking?

Keep them in. Gives you some stuff early and the block itself makes it much easier to fix/build your favourite ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

This is extremely bad advice. Wolves are at least a little interactive and provide some free components with regularly scheduled attacks. Spiders make having a base near impossible on spider planets. Wolves are barely ok for starting, and spiders are ok as long as you're just not starting out on a spider planet. Meteor showers are just bad.
You quoted only part of what I said! I said "try starting WITHOUT wolves, spiders, or environmental hazards enabled." As in, "These things are bad, try playing without them." From what you said following the "this is bad advice," it sounds like you are agreeing with me that all of the above make for a difficult initial experience, particularly for the unprepared. (Not trying to start an argument, friend!)

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Anyways, I have a question to ask you guys!
Right now I'm working on a progression system centered around unlocking blocks as you go. It'll still be open and sandboxy and you can do whatever you want at your own pace, but to unlock everything you got to do these "chalenges" and right pirate facilities and such. It's coded and everything!

How do you guys feel about the projector block being locked? With my unlocking system, you won't be able to see or use locked blocks in the g-menu, but this won't prevent locked blocks from appearing on blueprints with projectors. Do you guys think it would still be fine to have access to projectors? Or would this be too game breaking?
I agree with what Neddy Seagoon said about keeping projectors accessible--being able to re-build a projected ship with not-yet-unlocked stuff in case of accidents is good!

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Oh. Oops.

As for projectors, I think I'll have them be unlocked real early on.

Have you guys had any success with decoys? Drones seem to do a good job of ignoring them all the time.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Well I decided to do some testing today and I'm having trouble spawning drones on antennas. Even the default drone antennas refuse to spawn anything.

I checked the "drone spawning" option before loading. Set the faction to space pirates. Made sure it was broadcasting and everything. Nothing will spawn on antennas. Is there something I'm missing?

EDIT: I'm dumb. It takes about a minute for drones to start spawning on antennas. They don't spawn immediately.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 5, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Well I decided to do some testing today and I'm having trouble spawning drones on antennas. Even the default drone antennas refuse to spawn anything.

I checked the "drone spawning" option before loading. Set the faction to space pirates. Made sure it was broadcasting and everything. Nothing will spawn on antennas. Is there something I'm missing?

You could always wait til tomorrow and see if it works post-patch :rolldice:.

And speaking of scalability and projectors, have some pics.

The basic core vehicle is hydrogen-fueled ship with three Medium Containers, and I realized that maybe you might not need to use the same merge-block/Connector mounting points for poo poo that doesn't need a Connector. Like engines.

If you don't have the materials or ice to get the thing flying with a heavy load, there's a blueprinted Wheel Frame to turn it into a rover vehicle. The Large Hydrogen thruster on the back is on its own on/off toggle on the Hotbar, for those times where you just want to careen out of control in a rocket-powered Bad Idea :rice:. The VTOL Frame turns it into an atmospheric heavy-lifter.

For important things, like carrying a multi-drill Excavation Rig to help make that snazzy cliffside base.

There's also a set of starfighter wings (and its ability to fly vertically on the basic internal thrusters is non-existent, so you really do have to taxi off the ground with them), with a standalone nosepiece containinggatling guns and reloadable rocket launchers. In case you want to mount it alongside the wheels to make a convoy-robbing Deathmobile, or something. The wings also have Jump Drives inside, along with a pair of Large Atmospheric Thrusters in the big round engine blocks. The rear mounting points have a set of decoy pods each, that activate and release a trio of Decoy Blocks.

And a basic set of zero-g maneuvering pods, which really only exist to hide the Jump Drive in each.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Would be pretty cool to have a special garage with robot arms that attach and detach stuff to that thing!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Would be pretty cool to have a special garage with robot arms that attach and detach stuff to that thing!

Nah, all you need for my poo poo is Welders, due to rampant Projector (ab)use. Much simpler, and you can equip new stuff on it wherever you are. Or even repair it, provided the repair blueprint projector wasn't hosed up. Just shove the old parts in a grinder and recycle. Though I think I might make a little paste-in-yo'-ship assembly/recycle bay for them.

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! This week’s minor update release contains more crash fixes and general improvements as the team continues work towards the next major release.
We are also happy to announce that we are releasing an updated 3D model obj exporter today that will work with the latest version of the game (CTRL+ALT+E). This will allow you to create 3D prints of your creations and upload them to sites like Sketchfab, opening up many new ways to share what you build in Space Engineers. You can even add a Sketchfab model to the Steam Workshop page of a creation, providing an interactive preview to other players before they use it in-game.

For today’s work in progress section I would like to talk about the status of improved rotors and pistons in multiplayer. The VRAGE engine team are working tirelessly on this and have made significant advancements. Here is Bruce LeedleLeedleLee’s Arx Heavy Battletank which features working tracks. It also happens to be a vehicle the programmers are using for testing both sync and performance.
As you can see, it’s an impressive and incredibly fascinating build which can move at surprisingly high speeds. While it works OK in singleplayer, there are numerous desync issues with it in the current multiplayer implementation. However; the team have now actually managed to get this working in multiplayer on one of our internal prototype builds with minimal desync. You can look forward to hearing more about this and similar improvements in the coming weeks.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=874393766

In other news, next Monday we will be streaming at 7PM CEST on the Keen Community Network over on Twitch. The first segment will be with Deepflame looking at Medieval Engineers and it’s upcoming major release which includes a shovel tool and a UI redesign. Later in the stream, there will be a Q&A session with Marek and other members of the KeenSWH team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV2VlWZ6Zvw

Fixes
- fixed crash while joining dedicated server
- fixed crash while turret is looking for target
- fixed rotors can not be detached on dedicated server
- fixed 3D export function

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
So I built a base on the side of a giant asteroid, but it's inside the planet's gravity well and I'd like to change that. Is it better to rebuild or throw thrusters on it & make it a ship?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sanctum posted:

So I built a base on the side of a giant asteroid, but it's inside the planet's gravity well and I'd like to change that. Is it better to rebuild or throw thrusters on it & make it a ship?

You can't move asteroids, they're fixed objects like planets. You'll have to relocate your setup to another asteroid.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
gravity generators work in weak gravity

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I can include mod blocks into my unlocking system. It doesn't even require the mod to be loaded.

Thing is, should I? Which mods should I include, if any? There's a hell of a lot of mods, so I may only include the more popular ones. What do you guys think?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't move asteroids, they're fixed objects like planets. You'll have to relocate your setup to another asteroid.

That's too bad, because throwing thrusters on an asteroid and making it a ship is a pretty dope idea

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I once came across one of those derelict ships and I put a connector on it and towed it back to our base area with a modified rescue ship (or whatever the default ship is called). It took about 5 minutes just to turn it to point the right way and probably 20 minutes of accelerating/decelerating. It was only like 15km out, too.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mr. Powers posted:

I once came across one of those derelict ships and I put a connector on it and towed it back to our base area with a modified rescue ship (or whatever the default ship is called). It took about 5 minutes just to turn it to point the right way and probably 20 minutes of accelerating/decelerating. It was only like 15km out, too.

merge it and use it's reactor and thrusters

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Spookydonut posted:

merge it and use it's reactor and thrusters

I didn't know if it was booby trapped and I didn't think it had any thrusters.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I finally killed a ship and I was matching it's velocity and looting but my inventory was full and some part ejected and instakilled me.

So my ship is floating through space with dampeners off and I have no hope of ever finding it? That really sucks.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Sanctum posted:

I finally killed a ship and I was matching it's velocity and looting but my inventory was full and some part ejected and instakilled me.

So my ship is floating through space with dampeners off and I have no hope of ever finding it? That really sucks.

If you're an Administrator in your game (which you are if it's Single Player,) press Alt+F10, which brings up a menu on the right of the screen. From the drop-down box under "Cycle objects,", try selecting "Fastest" and press the Next button a few times until your abandoned ship is the target. From here, you can press the "Stop" button to halt it, and then you can press "Teleport Here" to move your spaceman to the viewing location. Escape out of the menu, and press F6 (default key to regain control of your character from his perspective) and reclaim your hard work! :)

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mr. Powers posted:

I didn't know if it was booby trapped and I didn't think it had any thrusters.

once you merge you've got grid access and can enable only visible thrusters (and can see if the grid has any warheads)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You want another Modular Multi-Pod?

Have an Eagle.

XkyRauh posted:

If you're an Administrator in your game (which you are if it's Single Player,) press Alt+F10, which brings up a menu on the right of the screen. From the drop-down box under "Cycle objects,", try selecting "Fastest" and press the Next button a few times until your abandoned ship is the target. From here, you can press the "Stop" button to halt it, and then you can press "Teleport Here" to move your spaceman to the viewing location. Escape out of the menu, and press F6 (default key to regain control of your character from his perspective) and reclaim your hard work! :)

Isn't there an option to stop all moving objects as well, or am I thinking of the Space Engineers Toolbox?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I know some of you are into building gigantic ships, so here's a question: Do you prefer multi-level deck-oriented ships to be one, two or three blocks high? I was thinking about sandwiching a 1-high maintenance tunnel between a pair of 2-high decks. I'm still deciding if I'm going to layer the armor or not, or if it'll be a composite of heavy/light armor. IMDC has a couple of design choices which are very different than I expected, for example their internal walls are heavy armor, and their exterior shell is all light armor. I guess this makes sense, because I usually reinforce manned positions with heavier armor.

EDIT: Totally agree with you on smaller>bigger butt burger guy, but I want to give making a reasonably large ship a shot. By "big ship" I mean probably ~3000 blocks, most of my builds are considered fairly small regardless of the context. Really, I want a ship large enough to haul around a few smaller utility ships, not much more. I'm a huge fan of high-speed, light armor hydrogen ships, so I thought it would be good to have a ship that can function as a mobile base of operations.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 11, 2017

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I don't build penis ships anymore. They just kill your frame rate, are incredibly slow, and totally unfun to pilot. Unless it's a rover maybe. They don't even crash spectacularly.

I'm all about the smaller stuff now. Compact is the new black. Super fun to fly and drive too.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I know some of you are into building gigantic ships, so here's a question: Do you prefer multi-level deck-oriented ships to be one, two or three blocks high? I was thinking about sandwiching a 1-high maintenance tunnel between a pair of 2-high decks. I'm still deciding if I'm going to layer the armor or not, or if it'll be a composite of heavy/light armor. IMDC has a couple of design choices which are very different than I expected, for example their internal walls are heavy armor, and their exterior shell is all light armor. I guess this makes sense, because I usually reinforce manned positions with heavier armor.

EDIT: Totally agree with you on smaller>bigger butt burger guy, but I want to give making a reasonably large ship a shot. By "big ship" I mean probably ~3000 blocks, most of my builds are considered fairly small regardless of the context. Really, I want a ship large enough to haul around a few smaller utility ships, not much more. I'm a huge fan of high-speed, light armor hydrogen ships, so I thought it would be good to have a ship that can function as a mobile base of operations.

I usually use 2 block high decks, it allows some detailing and more lcds and such. 1 block just feels claustrophobic, unless it's a really small ship.

Personally I think SE is best around the scale of the Red and Blue ships. Even though my huge ships don't kill my fps they need mods to not be slower than a snail in space and adding a second ship will kill the fps.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Smaller, more skillfully-piloted penis ships.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Literally my motto

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I wish this had the orbital mechanics of KSP. Actually, I guess it's more like "I wish KSP had the construction/gathering mechanics of SE"

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You want another Modular Multi-Pod?

I want more mid-sized utility ships, like frigate/corvette sized

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

I've actually been thinking about how to build something at that scale just for the hell of it. Thinking of using Twin-Welders just to have it mount its own stuff.

GotLag posted:

Smaller, more skillfully-piloted penis ships.

Let he who hasn't made a bullet-ejaculating penis-shaped starfighter cast the first stone. :nws: I guess? Kinda?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've actually been thinking about how to build something at that scale just for the hell of it. Thinking of using Twin-Welders just to have it mount its own stuff.

Let he who hasn't made a bullet-ejaculating penis-shaped starfighter cast the first stone. :nws: I guess? Kinda?

Something like the Rocinante

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The teaser's worth a look this week; They're considering adding a combustion engine as a power source (I assume hydrogen-powered). They also really just need to add goddamn small-block versions of the flight seats because everyone just sticks a remote block and passenger seat in their little vanilla cars. Own up to it and run with it already, KSH!

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! We’ve got a new round of crash fixes and general improvements in this week’s update as the team progresses behind the scenes on bigger tasks like optimisation, physics and of course multiplayer.
For today’s work in progress section, we would like to share a preview of the new in-game chat currently being programmed. It’s been completely redesigned, both visually and functionally. The new chat will have private messaging, faction messaging, chat history, and more all without having to open the terminal.

In other news, next Monday we will be streaming at 8PM CEST on the Keen Community Network over on Twitch. During the stream, together with Marek, we’ll be talking more about performance optimisations in the works and also taking a look at Rexxar’s Server Link mod which can create a multi-server PVP environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8AdLvtrQAM

Fixes
- fixed crash while detaching advanced rotor
- fixed crash in GUI
- fixed crash with wolves
- fixed conveyor having green emissive color while not powered
- fixed center of mass not being rendered properly
- fixed gravity values on HUD
- fixed sensor still having same color
- fixed voxel hands material bar
- fixed free falling when doing backwards jump on cover wall

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Knowing keen they would make the generator make less energy than an oxygen generator uses to split ice (making the generator just a fancy battery)

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 13, 2017

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Well I finally released my progression system mod with unlocks and everything:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=924773585

Check it out it has planets and custom bases and an actual unlock system if you're into that sort of thing.

If you don't like unlocks you can eat a dick you can go ahead and just not run the auxiliary mod and play like normal.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey, I bought this on sale, did the 'tutorial' thing, and now I'm pretty lost in regards to build stuff in this game. It's pretty overwhelming, and a lot of the tutorials I'm seeing are out-of-date. This game looks cool, but I am super duper lost. Can you point me to any tutorials that cover basics, like how to build a base, power and air it, and basic shipbuilding? A lot of the stuff I looked up on Youtube was either out of date, or insufferable.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
We've just had a couple of people in the thread with the same problem. If you read the last few pages, we've already talked about how there used to be a really simple set of tutorials that actually explained everything. You could either try reactivating those (they're hidden, not deleted) or look at the tutorial series people have posted earlier.

I actually recommend not taking survival too seriously until the game is "feature complete". They are still adding blocks, and it is likely any highly-detailed ship won't work by the time the game is released. If you don't care about any of that and just want to get into it anyways, I'd recommend trying to re-enable the tutorials. People talked about it here but I'll try loading them up myself and let you know how it goes.

Hopefully Keen is working on a tutorial in the same vein as their example campaign.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 16, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Mostly animation fixes this week.

quote:

Summary:
Hello Engineers! There’s a batch of art and animation fixes in today’s minor update as the team moves ever closer to the next major update which will contain significant improvements to performance and multiplayer. Issues with model fixed this week include incorrect LODs on a number of blocks like the small grid merge block and small grid camera but also missing textures on blocks such as wheel suspension and the large ship welder. Moving on now to a couple of the notable animation issues that were fixed, using hand tools will no longer stretch the engineer’s arms and rifles should now aim where the crosshair is pointing.

In other news, next Monday we will be streaming at 8PM CEST on the Keen Community Network over on Twitch. During the stream, together with Marek and Deepflame, we’ll be talking more about things being worked on and also taking a look at Medieval Engineers and it’s future plans. Marek will even be suiting up for the occasion in his personalized Roman armor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPBVU5afubM

Fixes:
- fixed models showing LOD1s instead of LOD0s
- fixed wrong LODs on several blocks
- fixed highlight of missile turret's control panel
- fixed old icons displayed in inventories and production tabs
- fixed crystal clear glass
- fixed rifle doesn't aim where the crosshair is pointing
- fixed too big hitboxes of blast doors and atmospheric thrusters
- fixed missing textures on large ship welder and wheel suspensions
- fixed small grid camera model and LOD
- fixed emissivity color missing on several blocks
- fixed tools making arms long

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Romans aren't medieval

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

Right.

Say hello to the Albatross. The bigass engine pods have Sektan's Imhoteps in them, along with a pair of Hyperdrives in each.

One rear bay for an Eagle Pod.

A ground-vehicle garage below it.

And a Kestrel tucked into an external docking groove on top, for style. The hatch behind it?

MultiDrone Bay, with two remote-controlled Drones.

Now I just have to get Welders into every bay to enable equipping poo poo onto them all. Along with just putting general components and decks inside the drat ship.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

That looks super keen, Neddy! :)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's Keen all right :iamafag:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's Keen all right :iamafag:

It actually did jitter and explode randomly at one point, so you're right.

Also despite its pretty exterior the interior is mostly empty and needs to be built :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
So I spent the better part of my weekend trying to take out a SPRT Headquarters. I did not succeed. :(

Initially I setup a base on the alien world and started to assault a headquarters with a very successful (at least against all forms of drones) small grid heavy fighter. Small but brimming with guns, call it a corvette if you like!

The fighter was actually perfect at dealing with spawning drones, I never saw the need to revise anything. Mostly light armor but heavy armor in all the right places. The base was still kicking my rear end. So I re-purposed my giant miner as a wall of large turrets with heavy armor. Surely that would do the trick!

Nope. The ground around the base was so littered with dead drones and various debris that my game was running out of memory and crashing. I decided to take the lessons learned and start again on the earth SPRT HQ.

Streamlined the corvette construction process, dropping them right on top of the base. Made an effort to snipe turrets but the drones kept coming and I didn't have time to creep closer after finishing repairs from the last drone encounter.

Time to construct a special-purpose hydrogen battleship designed to bring death to all! I have decoys, manual hotkeys to all the turrets, and armored like a tortoise. :getin:

Killing many drones while salvaging their parts for repairs, I tried for a round 2 against the actual HQ but was forced to retreat to space.

With my specialized constructors and everything streamlined I was ready to jump back down there and try again after some quick repairs and major re-icing. At this point I disabled drone spawning in the game options, I'd killed ~20 on the earth HQ and didn't want to start crashing again. Even so I wasn't able to make any progress.

As I was mining more ice, a military transport decided to fly directly into range of my heavily gunned mothership, my damaged but all turrets operational battleship, and all the guns of my main base. That guy is gonna have a bad day. :toot:

It single-handedly destroyed everything in one pass. Battleship obliterated. Couldn't save the wreckage of my mothership before it fell into the moon. RIP 5000 salvaged thruster components in the cargo.

• Locked thread