Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/866596255924981761

No news on what he actually did yet, just arrested for "breach of the peace".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I have mixed feelings about fox hunting.

I'm against it being legalised but as an enthusiastic meat eater I feel like a hypocrite to condemn the treatment of these foxes while enjoying the consequences of cruelty that millions of animals suffer every day so that we can feed and clothe ourselves.

I think fundamentally my objection to it is class based. I just don't like the idea of toffs riding around on horses ripping up animals.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i mean you don't eat foxes so why is it hypocritical

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
dog fighting is bad, but on the other hand I eat beef so it's a wash really.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Because I eat other animals. Animals that are not always raised and slaughtered with regard for their wellbeing.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

'Cull the Tories not the badgers.' is one of the better chants of the last few years. I hope to see it brought back for foxes as well.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/AlexWhite1812/status/866601403078389761

LePen is now officially more reasonable than the current government of the UK - I guess the only hope for the UK is that Trump doesn't fall to soon otherwise they will the shittiest government in the west.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Looks like May's strategy isn't improving much this morning: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/22/conservatives-buy-dementia-tax-google-ad-as-criticism-of-policy-grows

Labour have repeatedly made this mistake of failing to challenge the premises of an argument they disagree with, which leads to the public absorbing "wisdom" such as Labour overspending requiring us to have cuts to the NHS and disabled people. The majority of people who hear "dementia tax" aren't going to respond with "what's that?", they're going to think "that sounds nasty!". And I suspect that people googling it are more wondering if it is real or not rather than the fine details. Using "so-called 'dementia tax'" won't work either, the same way that ordinary folk say ISIS regardless of the specific phrasing the BBC choose.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Pissflaps posted:

I have mixed feelings about fox hunting.

I'm against it being legalised but as an enthusiastic meat eater I feel like a hypocrite to condemn the treatment of these foxes while enjoying the consequences of cruelty that millions of animals suffer every day so that we can feed and clothe ourselves.

I think fundamentally my objection to it is class based. I just don't like the idea of toffs riding around on horses ripping up animals.
I don't think it's hypocritical - fox hunting is purely there to enjoy the chase culminating in the killing of the animal. The mistreatment and killing is part of the fun and the fundamental objective of the activity.

For eating meat, the mistreatment (which unfortunately still happens) and killing is part of the process to achieve the fundamental objective of getting meat.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

I live in a SNP/nobody marginal. So despite the Labour candidate here being...not exactly to my tastes, I'll probably end up voting for him anyway, Labour needs every vote it can get, especially in Scotland.

Away from the election, a story on cleaners on strike at LSE, & how they get treated

That loving patronising lecture from Jeremy Irons.

If SNP MPs would vote for a Corbyn government in parliament, than isn't a vote for the SNP a vote for Corbyn, especially when certain Scottish Labour candidates are explicitly anti-Corbyn?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

GaussianCopula posted:

https://twitter.com/AlexWhite1812/status/866601403078389761

LePen is now officially more reasonable than the current government of the UK - I guess the only hope for the UK is that Trump doesn't fall to soon otherwise they will the shittiest government in the west.
"lol why the gently caress are the tories so loving dumb", finally a position everyone can agree with GC on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Ewan posted:

I don't think it's hypocritical - fox hunting is purely there to enjoy the chase culminating in the killing of the animal. The mistreatment and killing is part of the fun and the fundamental objective of the activity.

For eating meat, the mistreatment (which unfortunately still happens) and killing is part of the process to achieve the fundamental objective of getting meat.

I'm completely fine with Fox hunting done with some dude with a gun and a couple of sniffer dogs to find them effectively and kill them cleanly.

I'm not okay with a bunch of poshos in stupid hats with a pack of dogs prancing around like morons and taking pleasure in torturing an animal.

In the same way, despite the fact that I eat meat, I would ideally like animals that are going to be killed for meat to die as painlessly as possible.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm completely fine with Fox hunting done with some dude with a gun and a couple of sniffer dogs to find them effectively and kill them cleanly.

As long as the dudes with the gun haven't deliberately bred the foxes of course

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ewan posted:

Yes this is all true, but this mistreatment is not essential for the production of food and clothes it's something we choose because we like cheap burgers and cheap leather shoes.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Coohoolin posted:

If SNP MPs would vote for a Corbyn government in parliament, than isn't a vote for the SNP a vote for Corbyn, especially when certain Scottish Labour candidates are explicitly anti-Corbyn?

A vote for the SNP is actually a vote for their bitter rivals is a pretty tough sell even for you Coohoolie. That's not to say I wouldn't back them in a Tory/SNP marginal, but in all other situations you would be far better voting Labour. The SNP can and will do what they want, that is as it should be. If you want something different vote for someone else.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
THe tories have done a u-turn on social care lol

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

It'll work.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Jose posted:

This is tres good news, now there are going to be days of "What will the cap be?" Just adds to the uncertainty.

Edit: Or there should be, but the UK media so lol probs not.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

hakimashou posted:

If people had rejected this view and voted Labour instead of lib dem in 2010 wouldn't that have prevented Cameron from forming a government and all the tragic consequences that have followed from it?

No, it would have resulted in a Tory majority, as happened when people stopped tactically voting LibDem, because we have FPTP and most of the LibDems' 2010 seats were LibDem-Tory battlegrounds.

My constituency was LibDem 2010, Tory 2015. Most websites advising people on how to vote tactically still argue that we should vote LibDem here, but they are currently polling in 3rd place behind Labour. There is no chance they will win, so I can happily vote Labour this time because this is our opportunity to establish Labour as the tactical anti-Tory vote in this constituency. But if the LibDems started doing better I might have to reconsider, painful though that would be.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jose posted:

Lol it's a consultation on a cap, not even a back down. So they'll still do it, but ask a few people what their houses are worth and try and do the maths from there.

Come on Labour, play this right and it's another few percentages in the bag.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ewan posted:

We don't torture animals on the slaughter line and you'll get fired for doing so, nor use dogs to tear the carcass to pieces while its still alive.

So, no, Fox Hunting is not the same as slaughter for food. Its deliberate torture of a small animal to give a bunch of richs fucks a chubby.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Oh dear me posted:

No, it would have resulted in a Tory majority, as happened when people stopped tactically voting LibDem, because we have FPTP and most of the LibDems' 2010 seats were LibDem-Tory battlegrounds.

My constituency was LibDem 2010, Tory 2015. Most websites advising people on how to vote tactically still argue that we should vote LibDem here, but they are currently polling in 3rd place behind Labour. There is no chance they will win, so I can happily vote Labour this time because this is our opportunity to establish Labour as the tactical anti-Tory vote in this constituency. But if the LibDems started doing better I might have to reconsider, painful though that would be.

What constituency out of interest? Keen to look at the numbers.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

We don't torture animals on the slaughter line and you'll get fired for doing so, nor use dogs to tear the carcass to pieces while its still alive.

So, no, Fox Hunting is not the same as slaughter for food. Its deliberate torture of a small animal to give a bunch of richs fucks a chubby.

Are you arguing with me by agreeing with what I just said?? I totally agree it's not the same and that's what I meant.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The media are laying into May about this social care policy and uturn.

A decent opposition could be having a field day here.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Zalakwe posted:

What constituency out of interest? Keen to look at the numbers.

St Austell & Newquay.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

namesake posted:

Lol it's a consultation on a cap, not even a back down. So they'll still do it, but ask a few people what their houses are worth and try and do the maths from there.

Come on Labour, play this right and it's another few percentages in the bag.

"Tories in Turmoil" has a nice ring to it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Zalakwe posted:

This is tres good news, now there are going to be days of "What will the cap be?" Just adds to the uncertainty.

Edit: Or there should be, but the UK media so lol probs not.

Why is it good news? A cap only helps wealthy families.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

And the Tories will put it out as Labour being propped up by the SNP for concessions, thus a vote for Labour is a vote for the break-up of Britain. This isn't even an answer I should need to give - they've already done it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oh dear me posted:

St Austell & Newquay.

What polling data have you seen that puts the Lib dems third in this seat and behind labour?

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
The cap is £70k.

So if you have a home worth exactly £170k and run up a large care bill the dementia tax would be up to 41% of your estate right?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If you think this policy is too harsh on inheritors, the way to make it more progressive is to increase the minimum estate value, not to cap deductions from large estates

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

madey posted:

The cap is £70k.

So if you have a home worth exactly £170k and run up a large care bill the dementia tax would be up to 41% of your estate right?

Tbh a proper inheritance tax would be more than that, but yes.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Oh dear me posted:

St Austell & Newquay.

Steve GIlbert's old constituency, that is a really interesting one. I think the LDs will likely come second at least, I can see from my Facebook feed (know the former campaign manager) they are pouring in a lot of resource. Can't see it happening either but might be very close.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Where do I find out how my constituency is polling? I live in a marginal seat

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

It is good news in terms of Labour's campaign, it's not good news for poor people. It was announced by the Tories.

Edit: See they have announced the number, not sure if that helps them to be honest.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Ewan posted:

Worth noting that "new registrations" includes people registering who have already registered, and are just doing so just in case, or are re-registering after having moved address since the last time they voted.

My registration will be counted as a "new registration in the under 34s", for example, but I have voted the past two GEs.

To be fair given that we've had the EU referendum and Local elections all within the last 12 months the electoral roll was probably already looking pretty healthy I'd like to believe this does represent a surge in non-voters registering. It's not enough to win on its own but anything that can contribute to Labour over performing their polling will be welcome on election night.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/flashboy/status/866599444564672512

pointsofdata posted:

Not sure that's true? It depends what the cap is, but for argument's sake let's say it's £75k. The cap is £70k.

Now let's consider two elderly people with care costs that in the end come to £100k.

Person A has a £150k property
Person B has a £200k property
Person C has a £500k property

Person A ends up paying £50k towards their care before they hit the £100k floor
Person B ends up paying £70k towards their care before they hit the £70k cap
Person C ends up paying £100k (full cost) towards their care.

EDIT: This doesn't make the policy good, but it makes it very very slightly less bad.

EDIT2: None of this makes sense and I'm terrible at maths.

Ewan fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 22, 2017

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

pointsofdata posted:

Because, as has been pointed out before in this thread, Labour is pairing the cap with increased taxation on wealthier families. So everyone gets the benefit of the cap but if you're richer you will pay more, its just not explicitly stated via means testing.

Means testing is so burned into people's brains at this point that they can't wrap their head around actually paying for things with taxes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

pointsofdata posted:

If you think this policy is too harsh on inheritors, the way to make it more progressive is to increase the minimum estate value, not to cap deductions from large estates

inheritance tax should be a totally separate thing to social care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

Where do I find out how my constituency is polling? I live in a marginal seat

It's unlikely there is any polling data for your constituency.

• Locked thread