Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

P.d0t posted:

I may never understand the mindset of wanting to DM a setting someone else wrote and also strictly adhering to the lore. Like, who gives a gently caress?

especially since golarion as a setting grew out of rise of the runelords and not vice versa. it was originally sold as something you'd drop into your existing game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Man, Dragonborn are in the PHB.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

One of my groups may have its DM stepping down because of a crush of IRL concerns and it may fall on me to keep things going. I wouldn't mind doing it. I've only DMed a couple times but I enjoyed it. My biggest worry is that my sense of stories to tell leans toward episodic -- things that can be done in maybe 1 to 3 sessions. Is it biting off too much to try to create a longer-term campaign? Should I just run a module for now?

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017
I'm fairly new to DnD as a whole, but we just had our DM of 7 ish months step down because he is moving, and the new one prefers a bit more of an episodic approach. I enjoy it, as someone who is new most likely, because the episodic stuff makes it feel like we are accomplishing things.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Hot take on Dragonborn problems:

I think it's pretty silly to disallow stuff like Dragonborn in a setting, first off, so like, this is mostly a thought exercise.

If I was running, say, a Lord of the Rings game I would feel kind of weird about allowing Wookies in that setting. This is because there are no established Wookies in Middle Earth (although they were never explicitly excluded, either) and dragging in a comedy option feels like it might undermine the tone of the setting.

I typically assume if someone is banning a race from their game it's because of one of the above reasons. I don't usually feel like Dragonborn are so intrinsically ridiculous that they clash with the tone of any particular setting, but I'd be willing to hear an argument, I guess. What strikes me as more strange is the idea that any D&D setting has the same rigidity of lore as, say, Middle Earth. I guess FR does but at the same time FR includes nearly any imaginable thing in it somewhere.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Beorn is kind of like a wookie.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

P.d0t posted:

I may never understand the mindset of wanting to DM a setting someone else wrote and also strictly adhering to the lore. Like, who gives a gently caress?

You do, if you're running it because you like the setting. If you change too much, then you don't have the setting you liked in the first place. That said, you should talk it over with your players and not drop it on them without warning, but not including a player race is fine in and of itself.

Dragonborn don't exist in Golarion/Pathfinder. You could make them work with some adjustment. They're not too silly. Dragonborn do exist in the 4e/5e Realms and were integrated fairly well I think. The Realms at this point is definitely better detailed than Middle-Earth and isn't nearly as much of a kitchen sink setting as you're all making it out to be.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I started my D&D campaign by establishing a dying world with very little plant life, sort of a dark sun with less magic blight and more just total exhaustion of resources. greenery is very limited, and most soil can't support life.

The players are currently storming a traditional fantasy castle in the middle of a lush magic forest trying to overthrow the king. You do what your players want to do.

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017

Under the vegetable posted:

I started my D&D campaign by establishing a dying world with very little plant life, sort of a dark sun with less magic blight and more just total exhaustion of resources. greenery is very limited, and most soil can't support life.

This made me think of the dying world in The Magician's Nephew where the kids find Jadis, and I love it.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

If I had to get a Dragonborn PC into a Pathfinder game I'd just do what Eberron 4E did and find somewhere in the setting with lizardmen and retcon it so that they're dragonborn. Sorted!

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Arivia posted:

Dragonborn don't exist in Golarion/Pathfinder. You could make them work with some adjustment. They're not too silly. Dragonborn do exist in the 4e/5e Realms and were integrated fairly well I think. The Realms at this point is definitely better detailed than Middle-Earth and isn't nearly as much of a kitchen sink setting as you're all making it out to be.

FR, for all its sins, isn't really a kitchen sink setting so much as it's just real real big and old, so has accumulated material.

Golarion is way more of a kitchen sink, hell the countries of the setting are basically a "what subgenre of pulp fantasy do you want to play in?" deal, and the setting is committed to incorporating every D&D thing that exists within it somewhere.
It's almost like a more traditionally styled Eberron in some ways, where large parts of the setting exist mainly as plot hooks.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Papal Mainframe posted:

This made me think of the dying world in The Magician's Nephew where the kids find Jadis, and I love it.

Wasn't the world like that because Jadis cast a "kill everything else on the planet" spell?

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017

Skellybones posted:

Wasn't the world like that because Jadis cast a "kill everything else on the planet" spell?

I think so? God, it's been a long time since I read those. I just remember they get there by using a pool they weren't supposed to, or something like that.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Yup.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This would be neat, with the right group.

This was absolutely a thing that existed, because I played it back in the 90's.

It was a Module for D&D, in what must have been second edition. You had no idea what you could do until you tried it, or how much damage you'd taken from a hit. I was playing the Wizard. I had a spellbook where the spells were a descriptive sentence of the effect in code, and I couldn't use them until I cracked the code. The higher level spells were more difficult to break. Relatively. They were all basically just substiturion cyphers that you could work out without too much time and effort.

It was fun. Haven't the faintest idea what the module was called though. 25 years ago and I was just a player.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SerCypher posted:

Ran my first session of Rise of the Runelords in 5e.

There aren't any dragonborn in Pathfinder for starters
I found a flaw in your reasoning.

Just let her play her dragon lady in your elf game.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 22, 2017

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

P.d0t posted:

When I dm I always create my own setting. If for no other reason than it's just easier to make poo poo up if(when) I need to.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

When people tell me a lore bard can learn any spell in the game, do they mean any level 3 spell in the game? Every time you level you are allowed to swap out any spell for a new spell, but does that count for the freebies you get from level 6 where you learn any other class's spell? That felt like a more permanent choice. Can a level 19 bard, leveling up to 20, decide he doesn't like fireball anymore and wants instead to know True Resurrection from the cleric level 9 list?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

P.d0t posted:

A friend of mine told me a story recently about how he tried to introduce his new girlfriend to gaming. He would DM, and have her go through a short little adventure just to get her toes wet. He walked her through character creation, and everything was good until she decided on a weapon. She wanted to be a dancer-fighter and fight with a set of bladed fans. He said no, it doesn't make sense in his setting. This queued an argument and he ended up stonewalling her until she gave up. When he told this story to the rest of our group we all basically dogpiled him and mocked him for being such an arbitrary hardass. Not to mention being bad at relationships.

I was DMing at the time so I introduced a new villain: a trio of female assassins who fight with deadly bladed fans.

Basically, let your players to what they want as long as it doesn't mechanically break the game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I can't imagine saying no to that, what you wanna be a turtleman and fight with tonfas? Cool with me.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

The logical conclusion of quadratic wizards.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
The Absolute Worst Thing In Tabletop Gaming (tm) is watching the light go out of a new player's eyes when the DM tells them that 'no' they cannot do the Cool Thing.

The Second Worst Thing (tm) is watching the new player realize that in order to do the Cool Thing the DM is going to make them roll a handful of checks and if any of them come up low they will fail the whole affair and be worse off than if they'd never tried to do anything fun or interesting in the first place.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

One of my groups may have its DM stepping down because of a crush of IRL concerns and it may fall on me to keep things going. I wouldn't mind doing it. I've only DMed a couple times but I enjoyed it. My biggest worry is that my sense of stories to tell leans toward episodic -- things that can be done in maybe 1 to 3 sessions. Is it biting off too much to try to create a longer-term campaign? Should I just run a module for now?

Go with episodic stuff. Insert things to link them together as you get inspiration. Your players will probably create or suggest off-hand what a cool end-game could be.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OutsideAngel posted:

The Absolute Worst Thing In Tabletop Gaming (tm) is watching the light go out of a new player's eyes when the DM tells them that 'no' they cannot do the Cool Thing.

The Second Worst Thing (tm) is watching the new player realize that in order to do the Cool Thing the DM is going to make them roll a handful of checks and if any of them come up low they will fail the whole affair and be worse off than if they'd never tried to do anything fun or interesting in the first place.
Everyone's first few games should be in FATE or some other "Sounds good! Write "fan blade dancer" on your sheet" type system.

Or Danger Patrol.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Krinkle posted:

When people tell me a lore bard can learn any spell in the game, do they mean any level 3 spell in the game? Every time you level you are allowed to swap out any spell for a new spell, but does that count for the freebies you get from level 6 where you learn any other class's spell? That felt like a more permanent choice. Can a level 19 bard, leveling up to 20, decide he doesn't like fireball anymore and wants instead to know True Resurrection from the cleric level 9 list?

Any bard can learn any spell in the game. Normal bards get 2 "Magical Secret" spells at 18th level, so they can legit pick 9th level cleric spells at level 18.

Magical secrets only adds those particular spells to the bard spell list though. It doesn't allow you to swap out one non-bard spell for another non-bard spell.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Krinkle posted:

Lore bards get an additional set of magical secrets which let's you have any spell of level 3 or less (you can take Eldritch blast if you really want to). You can retrain the spell if you want, but it can only be replaced with another bard spell.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/12/13/a-spell-learned-via-magical-secrets/

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I'm sorry you all play with literal children who don't have fun unless they get to do everything they want.

We ended up talking as a group, and I encouraged people to try something specific to the setting, instead of just trying to bring Forgotten Realms to Golarion. It's a kitchen sink setting, but there are some fun things in it. She ended up playing a Pathfinder lore bard, someone else is a Halfling operative of the Bellflower network.

I play in a game she GM's as well, and she wasn't keen on me playing a Kenku, so I played something else instead. When I said no Dragonborn, it wasn't a big fight, there's an Island in pathfinder where a Gold Dragon is performing a massive Eugenic's program, and I gave her options for some other Lizard/Draconic type races.

She had wanted to play a Dragonborn with a capital D though, and was suprised that they didn't exist in a setting based off of DnD. She had started playing after watching critical Role a few years ago, and didn't realize Dragonborn were a rather recent addition. It ended up working out fine and I think she's happy with her character.

I know this may be hard to believe, but people can have discussions about these things like the adults they are.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

SerCypher posted:

I'm sorry you all play with literal children who don't have fun unless they get to do everything they want.

We ended up talking as a group, and I encouraged people to try something specific to the setting, instead of just trying to bring Forgotten Realms to Golarion. It's a kitchen sink setting, but there are some fun things in it. She ended up playing a Pathfinder lore bard, someone else is a Halfling operative of the Bellflower network.

I play in a game she GM's as well, and she wasn't keen on me playing a Kenku, so I played something else instead. When I said no Dragonborn, it wasn't a big fight, there's an Island in pathfinder where a Gold Dragon is performing a massive Eugenic's program, and I gave her options for some other Lizard/Draconic type races.

She had wanted to play a Dragonborn with a capital D though, and was suprised that they didn't exist in a setting based off of DnD. She had started playing after watching critical Role a few years ago, and didn't realize Dragonborn were a rather recent addition. It ended up working out fine and I think she's happy with her character.

I know this may be hard to believe, but people can have discussions about these things like the adults they are.

Hmm, sounds like you really hate fun, friendo.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Scyther posted:

Hmm, sounds like you really hate fun, friendo.

Yep, we all do.

We're really keen on not having fun for a few hours in each others games every week.

It's our fetish.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's a good thing that you argued her out of playing what she wanted to play because

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Gort posted:

It's a good thing that you argued her out of playing what she wanted to play because

Hey, some DMs don't have fun unless they get everything the way they want.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
if the DM doesn't let me play as an ancient red dragon I just can't have fun

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

if the DM doesn't let me play as an ancient red dragon I just can't have fun

One of the backgrounds offered in Hoard of the Dragon Queen is that you're the spirit of a gold dragon doing penance as a humanoid for some thing and you're really upset about it.

You bet your rear end I took that.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
:can: for the next 50 posts.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I can't imagine a campaign where the harmony of the setting could ever possibly matter more than a player's preference. If the player wants something and it's not completely tonally inappropriate, but conflicts with the setting, then it's the setting/DM that's wrong, not them.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

Like, do you seriously let players play whatever they want in your games?

I'm honestly curious, you as a GM don't have any preference for the kind of mood you want to set? You don't talk with your players about the setting?

You must draw the line somewhere, and if you don't, that's fine, but it's not the kind of game I really enjoy.

"Your party enters the peasant village of MullCross."

"Steve as an Anthropomorphic car, you are slightly behind the others, as your tires have bad traction on the muddy earth."

"Jane, as a mouse warrior from Redwall Abbey, roll a perception check with advantage.... ok you smell the fresh cooking."

"And lastly John, unfortunately as a Street Samurai, you currently cannot move any of your Yamaha Cyberlimbs until you find a power port. You still have one biological arm though, so you can shoot your Ruger Super Warhawk if needed."

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005
So, what mood does no Dragonmen encourage?

edit:
I run mostly Ravenloft and Darksun as settings, so I don't really get how Faerun jr. (or whatever Pathfinder calls it) can be a kitchensink style setting, but Dragonmen somehow upset that. Like, I've got Half-Giants and flying pterodactyl-men cruising around the post-wiz-pocalypse and I think the tone of "Wizards hosed Up" is pretty clear to my players. What mood are you concerned about breaking?

Garl_Grimm fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 22, 2017

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Garl_Grimm posted:

No Fun Zone.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Garl_Grimm posted:

The mood that this isn't Faerun. The pathfinder setting is kind of dumb, but it's dumb in a way that's diverged from Forgotten Realms. I like Faerun, but what's the point of playing a different setting if it's going to have all the same properties as Faerun. At that point we might as well just play another 5e module (Which I was willing to do as well).

I didn't say no Dragonmen. I said that they'd be different from Forgotten Realms Dragonborn, and I'd have to figure out where they fit into the world.

She (also being a GM) said don't bother, she didn't want to make me do more work and so she picked something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

SerCypher posted:

Like, do you seriously let players play whatever they want in your games?

I'm honestly curious, you as a GM don't have any preference for the kind of mood you want to set? You don't talk with your players about the setting?

You must draw the line somewhere, and if you don't, that's fine, but it's not the kind of game I really enjoy.

"Your party enters the peasant village of MullCross."

"Steve as an Anthropomorphic car, you are slightly behind the others, as your tires have bad traction on the muddy earth."

"Jane, as a mouse warrior from Redwall Abbey, roll a perception check with advantage.... ok you smell the fresh cooking."

"And lastly John, unfortunately as a Street Samurai, you currently cannot move any of your Yamaha Cyberlimbs until you find a power port. You still have one biological arm though, so you can shoot your Ruger Super Warhawk if needed."

I like that while joking and trying to make something sound absurd and awful, you've accidentally described an RPG​ that sounds mega sick that I want to play immediately.