Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I got back into painting since the beginning of the year, and I feel like I've been making some kind of progress. Springing for decent paints instead of trying to make the .89 tubes from Michaels work definitely helped. Just finished "Hugo" from Klukva Miniatures....took drat near 5 weeks to get here but definitely worth the wait. I'm not totally satisfied with the beard and face though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Yeast posted:

Nope. I used to use this stuff;

But after switching you only need paint, and flow improver. + - a drop of water if you want. It's seriously good stuff.

Sold. I've ordered a test bottle from Amazon.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Fooley posted:

Just finished "Hugo" from Klukva Miniatures....took drat near 5 weeks to get here but definitely worth the wait.

These mother fuckers don't have a Roadhog or Winston figure.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Got hooked on X-Wing so decided to do some repaints.

Glory to the TIE-dani Imperium! (for some reason everyone in the club calls them Mining Guild :v:)

TIE/sf - Backdraft

TIE/FO - Omega Leader

TIE/ln

TIE Defenders

TIE Bomber

Big happy family

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Holy poo poo that's a nice freehand skull

The engine glow is great too, and overall they look really bright and clean. Huge improvement over the default paint jobs.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

So I've been traveling and unable to paint for 3 weeks, but spent my time reading about it, and decided I'll try to deviate from the same painting style I've been following for decades.
I limited the paints used to 5 colours plus a wash and a metallic, and started mixing more heavily on a wet palette. The test figures became my Necromantic Blood Bowl team, some of them my oath for this month.
Really cant decide on the bases yet. Dark graveyard earth mixed with some clay look? Do I use some texture paint or fine sand/baking soda? Torn on what would go well with the current scheme and how I could compliment the whole feel they are giving off.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

So I've been traveling and unable to paint for 3 weeks, but spent my time reading about it, and decided I'll try to deviate from the same painting style I've been following for decades.
I limited the paints used to 5 colours plus a wash and a metallic, and started mixing more heavily on a wet palette. The test figures became my Necromantic Blood Bowl team, some of them my oath for this month.
Really cant decide on the bases yet. Dark graveyard earth mixed with some clay look? Do I use some texture paint or fine sand/baking soda? Torn on what would go well with the current scheme and how I could compliment the whole feel they are giving off.

Your colour scheme is all warm tones, I think a cool/neutral grey flagstones base would be best

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
XXXXXXXXTREME WEATHERING TUTORIAL.

http://imgur.com/r/minipainting/6amdA

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TTerrible posted:

XXXXXXXXTREME WEATHERING TUTORIAL.

http://imgur.com/r/minipainting/6amdA

It's a well known fact that most car fires are because the passenger spontaneously burst into intenste, steel melting flames, leaving the engine in tact.

Z the IVth posted:

Glory to the TIE-dani Imperium! (for some reason everyone in the club calls them Mining Guild :v:)

TIE/sf - Backdraft

TIE/FO - Omega Leader

TIE/ln

TIE Defenders

TIE Bomber

Big happy family

These own.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 22, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

TIE/sf - Backdraft

TIE/FO - Omega Leader

TIE/ln

TIE Defenders

TIE Bomber

Big happy family

I meant to reply to this but got distracted by people weathering miniatures with fireworks.

These are the best x-wing repaints I've seen. :popeye:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

drat son

I probably won't finish this model, but I really enjoy my new scale 75 paints. I should've just ordered the full set because I've probably bought 75% of the range by now..

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Nebalebadingdong posted:

drat son

I probably won't finish this model, but I really enjoy my new scale 75 paints. I should've just ordered the full set because I've probably bought 75% of the range by now..

:swoon:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Nebalebadingdong posted:

drat son

Looks straight out of a comic book. :love:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nebalebadingdong posted:

drat son

That not-metal metal looks great! I'm still learning how to do it =S

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Meet Darben, the Barbarian Infantryman (his parents couldn't decide on whether to call him Darren or Ben and compromised)

If ever there were a man who believed himself king fist of punch mountain, it is Darben.

I think that hammer is compensating for something...

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Cross-posting from 40k thread:

bonds0097 posted:

Decided to practice my crimson fist scheme on a vedros mini, pretty happy with the results in terms of the blue and red.

Next to my previous effort for reference:

The intro to painting figure is way bigger than the vedros figure. The vedros figure are pretty poo poo in terms of plastic quality and casting.

Did my first decal and was pretty meh on it.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

Nebalebadingdong posted:

drat son

Which range are you using? The regular or the fantasy range?

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Crossposting from the oath thread.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

gilljoy posted:

Which range are you using? The regular or the fantasy range?

Its the regular range.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I need help. I'm still in progress doing up this Blood Warrior as a Chaos Warrior and I'm at a loss. I thought to have small notes of each Chaos god in the armor, but it just came out garrish. I want to get rid of the excessive accents but I don't know how best to paint them instead to tie things together. I wanna keep the green in the stomach but jettison the red and blue. Also not sure what to do about the big ol skull. I do know I'm gonna change the skintone to a more ebony one so it looks less weird next to the brass. The face dry brushed in a mess so I'm gonna redo that as well or maybe just yank the head and do a different one.

Give me some guidance, more talented paintergoons.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Warm tones contrasted with cool is one option (the grey as suggested earlier), but I'd like some green to contrast. A mix of grey stones, dark brown earth, and some mild green vegetation (so playing in an earthen graveyard) might be neat.

mango sentinel posted:

I need help. I'm still in progress doing up this Blood Warrior as a Chaos Warrior and I'm at a loss. I thought to have small notes of each Chaos god in the armor, but it just came out garrish. I want to get rid of the excessive accents but I don't know how best to paint them instead to tie things together. I wanna keep the green in the stomach but jettison the red and blue. Also not sure what to do about the big ol skull. I do know I'm gonna change the skintone to a more ebony one so it looks less weird next to the brass. The face dry brushed in a mess so I'm gonna redo that as well or maybe just yank the head and do a different one.

Give me some guidance, more talented paintergoons.

The green seems the only bit that's too garish, in my opinion. Tone is down with washes and effects (Nurgle's rot, blood, etc.). For the face, I think it just needs brightening - currently too dark in its drybrushed form. Generally, some key details could use more brightening, while the red, blue and green could be darkened, inconsistent light tones.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 24, 2017

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Red is so nice to paint. The first of my nomads pretty much finished.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
That's a drat good Nomad!

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness
I'm wanting to start painting some 40k models. Thinking I should start with something simple like a couple of Necron warriors. Would someone please tell me what kinds of brushes I will need and where I could find them for a reasonable price? And if I'm not asking too much, what colours I will need?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Nothing But Hate posted:

I'm wanting to start painting some 40k models. Thinking I should start with something simple like a couple of Necron warriors. Would someone please tell me what kinds of brushes I will need and where I could find them for a reasonable price? And if I'm not asking too much, what colours I will need?

What kind of scheme where you looking to do for them? If you wanted the classic metal look for them the easiest way would be Leadbelcher->Nuln Oil->Necron Compound then Abaddon Black on the gun parts.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

SteelMentor posted:

What kind of scheme where you looking to do for them? If you wanted the classic metal look for them the easiest way would be Leadbelcher->Nuln Oil->Necron Compound then Abaddon Black on the gun parts.

Thanks for that and yea the classic look is what I'll be aiming for. What would be best for basic highlights? I would hope I can achieve a step above "tabletop quality".

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
For getting started, I'd just get some cheap synthetic brushes from Michael's or Hobby Lobby. You can find them near where they have acrylic paints. Eventually, better quality brushes last longer and it becomes more worthwhile to have them, but you'll probably ruin a few brushes just relearning brush control, so it's better to get the cheapo brushes right now.

In addition to the paints Steel mentioned, you might want a bright green or red for the eyes as well.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Nothing But Hate posted:

Thanks for that and yea the classic look is what I'll be aiming for. What would be best for basic highlights? I would hope I can achieve a step above "tabletop quality".

The way I proposed is really the kind of quick and dirty way to do it, Necron Compound's drybrush paint and it'd do all the highlights for you.

If you wanted to do classic layering/highlighting, do Leadbelcher->Nuln Oil again, but then re-layer with Leadbelcher leaving the recesses dark and then highlight with Runefang Silver on the edges.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Last night, I found a nice sunset orange mix. I will probably make a bunch of ships in this color to go with the purple. Will probably have to redo the boots to neon green as this ended up much more saturated than I was planning.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

drat son

I've been trying to get this rough cel shaded look and it's tough. Have you done this style with larger minis before? I'm thinking of doing it with a 40k tau crisis suit, but it's a fine line between cel shaded and new painter who doesn't know how to do thin edge highlights.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Bought new shelves for my paints. Ran out of space immediately. Welp!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Chill la Chill posted:

Last night, I found a nice sunset orange mix. I will probably make a bunch of ships in this color to go with the purple. Will probably have to redo the boots to neon green as this ended up much more saturated than I was planning.

I've been trying to get this rough cel shaded look and it's tough. Have you done this style with larger minis before? I'm thinking of doing it with a 40k tau crisis suit, but it's a fine line between cel shaded and new painter who doesn't know how to do thin edge highlights.

Its a new look I'm experimenting with, never done anything large with it. Seems to work best with nice clean flat colors. So multiple thin layers to full coverage and NO WASHES

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Frobbe posted:

That's a really nice shelf though! Clearly you just need to buy a second one.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I dunno man, I don't think more color is really the direction you should be going.

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011

Frobbe posted:

Can I ask where from? I'm looking at picking up something similar in the next few weeks, and these look perfect.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nothing But Hate posted:

Here's a quick/simple Necron recipe off the top of my head;

Brushes:
Small drybrush
Medium brush
Detail brush
(there's an Army Painter brush set that's these exact brushes, I recommend it)

Paints:
Black spray primer
Dark silver
Bright silver
Black wash
Medium green
Bright green
White
Green wash

Prime with black spray (keep this just a thincoat)

Metallics
Base coat with dark silver
Heavy drybrush with bright silver
Black wash
Light drybrush with bright silver
OPTIONAL: Another black wash, then edge highlight with bright silver

Green accents
Base coat with medium green
Paint with bright green, leaving medium green in recesses
Highlight with a mix of white and bright green
OPTIONAL: Hit with green wash if you think the highlights are a bit much or if detail is being obscured

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 24, 2017

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
So after never having been all that good at painting when I was younger, I've stumbled back in to the hobby. After some skitarii which were a bit of a rough choice to start off with I've managed to paint up something that I'm actually really happy with.

(excuse the unfinished base)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Can you safely put plastic that was clipped off a sprue in a sonic cleaner? I want to redo some stuff I painted where I messed up a bit with gloss medium and I was wondering if I could use my sonic cleaner to speed it up. The warning that it can damage soft gemstones like emerald gave me some pause. I assume it's a really bad idea to use it with resin.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

lorddazron posted:

Can I ask where from? I'm looking at picking up something similar in the next few weeks, and these look perfect.

Middle ones are from hobbyzone.pl (their stuff is the best) the two flanking shelves are from TTcombat. I regret not getting everything from hobbyzone

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Frobbe posted:

Where did you get these from? I need to do the same thing with my paints.

e;fb - thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
If you're in the US, use https://www.hobbyzone.biz/ instead. They're the American distributor, and shipping is a lot cheaper.