Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Alaois posted:

me vs. california breweries

I wanna grow up to be Blue Mary.

I got lots of money today at my graduation party that I wasn't expecting. I need to fight my urge to automatically spend half of it on a drum set.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
lol Sean Hannity lost his poo poo at the The Best Team Money Can Buy lady

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

PrinceRandom posted:

I wanna grow up to be Blue Mary.

I got lots of money today at my graduation party that I wasn't expecting. I need to fight my urge to automatically spend half of it on a drum set.

Spend a quarter of it on half a drum set.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Wait the Dodgers book author? I mean she's respectable enough in a sports journalism kind of way and all but how do you let her piss you off enough to go off the rails when you...well...must have a lot of other people pissed off at you?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Someone please explain how the Celtics won.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Kalli posted:

Because I bet the Cavs -16.5

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Kalli posted:

The NBA rules.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kalli posted:

The Cavs got a big lead and coasted.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Spoeank posted:

Holy poo poo thats hilarious, I need to find that. I literally just bought that book (on Friday) for a dollar at Dollar Tree.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Kalli posted:

The NBA, like the NFL, is scripted

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kalli posted:

Lebron had his worst playoff game since 2010

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol is basketball still going on Jesus.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Yeah just like every May

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

swickles posted:

Holy poo poo thats hilarious, I need to find that. I literally just bought that book (on Friday) for a dollar at Dollar Tree.

It was over twitter. He asked if she needed a coloring book and legos.

I really wanted to respond that the plural of Lego is Lego but I didn't

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also yes. Everyone needs a coloring book and legos

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Any good cheap :lol: eats just south of Union square SF? Stuck there all week for work

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Go to Publican and have the kitchen decide your dinner. Thank me later.

I'll check it out!

I only had one meal so far. 25 Degrees. It was one of the best burgers I've ever had and it looks like a bar that becomes vampires only after midnight and then Blade comes in and kills everyone

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I had a Chinese student drop a hard N while giving a presentation and I am kinda figuring out how to respond.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I had a Chinese student drop a hard N while giving a presentation and I am kinda figuring out how to respond.

Tell him to change his narrow worldview

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Diqnol posted:

Tell him to change his narrow worldview

Like, she genuinely didn't know it was a bad word I think and I am trying to figure out how she found out about it to put into her presentation

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, she genuinely didn't know it was a bad word I think and I am trying to figure out how she found out about it to put into her presentation

Did she learn english by listening to Trap like Rich Chigga?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzc3_b_KnHc

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Double your step count by walking to her then before you stop leap at her and crush her with your body as punishment

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the Chinese word for "like" or "um" lmao

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the Chinese word for "like" or "um" lmao

Oh no I am used to that.

She even had it as a bulletpoint on her ppt

"many n- were brought to the US from Africa"

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

She's not wrong

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Sounds like she may have it confused for negro which you would still see in a lot of older academic stuff

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BrownThunder posted:

She's not wrong

Granted

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Raku posted:

Sounds like she may have it confused for negro which you would still see in a lot of older academic stuff

Yeah that is what I figured. I ended up taking her aside and being like "I don't know how you found that word but you really don't want to use it ever again."

Still nothing gets you alert for an early morning class like an unexpected n bomb. Better than coffee.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I will say that a number of chinese movies with piss poor subtitling jobs would translate black as the n-word.

Like, for example my mother's watching some movie where a group of home invaders in your typical bad guy ski mask getup are going to home invade this place at night, and the chinese for it roughly translates to "black men", and the subtitling....

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm choosing to believe that Mel's Chinese student did that solely to mess with him.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

I will say that a number of chinese movies with piss poor subtitling jobs would translate black as the n-word.

Like, for example my mother's watching some movie where a group of home invaders in your typical bad guy ski mask getup are going to home invade this place at night, and the chinese for it roughly translates to "black men", and the subtitling....

I think you are on to something here. She probably read a source in Chinese and clumsily translated it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
More importantly... did the class give her a standing ovation or some weird poo poo?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

More importantly... did the class give her a standing ovation or some weird poo poo?

Class is mostly Chinese but there were a few gasps and a couple of students looked back to check my reaction.

She hadn't even noticed and just kept chugging along

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Sup y'all. I'm having a good rear end Monday. My MIL just bought me a 55" Smart TV and I'm hyped as gently caress to watch some football on it. Also to play Injustice 2 on it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah that is what I figured. I ended up taking her aside and being like "I don't know how you found that word but you really don't want to use it ever again."

Still nothing gets you alert for an early morning class like an unexpected n bomb. Better than coffee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO4hpiwq04A

I know this is Japanese, not Chinese, but... people in Asian countries don't like black people, generally, and although they are aware that the hard N isn't the best thing to say, it doesn't carry a social stigma in Asia like it does in America.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 22, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

My father in law was planning on retiring in September but his boss called him over the weekend to give him the "bad news" that he's not going to be reassigned to a project now that his most recent one is completed. He's being told to work from home for the next couple of months (with no responsibilities) and then he's going to be "laid off" as part of "restructuring" with a full severance package in September.

loving owns I'm jealous.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

pubic works project posted:

Sup y'all. I'm having a good rear end Monday. My MIL just bought me a 55" Smart TV and I'm hyped as gently caress to watch some football on it. Also to play Injustice 2 on it.

Are the injustice games good? I loved smash brothers to the point that I competed in regional Meelee tournaments, but most other fighters like Soul Caliber are just too sluggish and boring for my tastes. I saw a twitch for injustice 2 and the fights looked fast, fluid and with more aerial components.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Spoeank posted:

My father in law was planning on retiring in September but his boss called him over the weekend to give him the "bad news" that he's not going to be reassigned to a project now that his most recent one is completed. He's being told to work from home for the next couple of months (with no responsibilities) and then he's going to be "laid off" as part of "restructuring" with a full severance package in September.

loving owns I'm jealous.

Sounds like he was a good employee and managment is setting him up nicely as a thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Spoeank posted:

loving owns I'm jealous.

That kicks rear end, good for him.

• Locked thread