Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Michael Crick is trying so hard for laughs, it's actually making me cringe.

Being fair "weak and wobbly" is a good line.

Now we need Grime4Corbyn to remix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was actively suicidal then though not because of terrorism. So today is a bit better at least.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

This is the first British election where people born after the premiere of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace can vote

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Oberleutnant posted:

I've heard some old upper crust types with no sympathy for Labour and a lot of experience of politics talking endlessly about this election as a mirror of the 1974 snap election, which came a year after 1973 election (and just after Britain's entry into Europe), and was the tory party under Edward Heath trying to stamp their foot down and cement their rule rule by increasing their majority. Meanwhile Labour were off running a radical manifesto, and eventually won by a hair, forming the 1974-79 Labour ministry out of a hung parliament.

So there are some nice parallels there, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
For all the faults of the May government, they aren't running a three day week due to a fuel crisis, and there isn't a coal strike, which is what really caused the 74 election.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

My favourite bit of 9/11 was some friends & I went down to Glasgow for a uni open day (we were 6th years then) on the 12th September 2001, mainly as an excuse for a day trip to Glasgow. All met up for the first train of the day, one friend was absolutely convinced Islamic terrorists would hijack a plane & fly it into our train, travelling through the middle of nowhere, Scotland at 60mph. He was making GBS threads it.

I've always really cherished that memory for the sheer absurdity of it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's also the first general election where people born after the first Scottish and Welsh elections can vote.

e: A group of my friends at the time were supposed to be visiting NYC on 9/11 and touring all the sights. I was worried sick trying to reach them, then found out after that they were stuck in Florida because one of them spent a chunk of their money on stupid poo poo. Saved by idiocy.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Baron Corbyn posted:

This is the first British election where people born after the premiere of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace can vote

Weesa gonna die.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Baron Corbyn posted:

Luke: [shocked] No. No! That's not true! That's impossible!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

Weesa gonna die.

Meesa think May May stinks

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
9/11 didn't effect me at all.

Pretty sure I slept on the bus back from college after I heard about it on the radio.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I was born in 1997, don't remember basically anything on the news before the 2004 Christmas tsunami, and get to vote in this election. Sorry to shock all you olds here.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I can't believe nobody is coaching May on how to stand up properly. In every single photo she's hunched over like a cartoon vulture or something out of The Twits.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

nothing to seehere posted:

I was born in 1997, don't remember basically anything on the news before the 2004 Christmas tsunami, and get to vote in this election. Sorry to shock all you olds here.

Why aren't you at uni. Go do your loving homework you little poo poo.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Guavanaut posted:

e: A group of my friends at the time were supposed to be visiting NYC on 9/11 and touring all the sights. I was worried sick trying to reach them, then found out after that they were stuck in Florida because one of them spent a chunk of their money on stupid poo poo. Saved by idiocy.

Yeah but it happened at 9 in the morning, by the sound of it there's 0 chance of them being in the WTC at that point

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Why aren't you at uni. Go do your loving homework you little poo poo.

I am, I have a exam tomorrow, and am embracing the long student pastime of ignore imminent deadlines as long as possible.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 22, 2017

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TACD posted:

I can't believe nobody is coaching May on how to stand up properly. In every single photo she's hunched over like a cartoon vulture or something out of The Twits.

is this the bendy banana I hear so much about in brexit arguments

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
my main memory of 9/11 was that cardcaptor sakura was on cartoon network but i couldn't watch it because my dad was hogging the TV with some stupid plane thing

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TACD posted:

There's an episode of the west wing where they coach Toby about this.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

I am, I have a exam tomorrow, ,and embracing the long student pastime of ignore imminent deadlines as long as possible.

Well...... goodluckihopeyoudowell

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah but it happened at 9 in the morning, by the sound of it there's 0 chance of them being in the WTC at that point
Yeah there's little chance they'd have been in the actual event, but from the TV at the time the city was in chaos and someone was throwing planes into everything standing and nobody knew what the gently caress.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

TACD posted:

#Skexit

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I am, I have a exam tomorrow, ,and embracing the long student pastime of ignore imminent deadlines as long as possible.

Are you at the doing it the night before stage, or the doing it well into the morning to hand it in then sleeping through your lectures stage?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Firos posted:

Are you at the doing it the night before stage, or the doing it well into the morning to hand it in then sleeping through your lectures stage?

Oh it's just a closed-room exam, so I should be frantically revising my lecture notes right now for tomorrow morning... but I'm here instead. I'm sure it will be fiiiiine.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

rare footage of a tory out of disguise

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TACD posted:

I assume the person in charge of this quit after they all started standing like they'd poo poo themselves at the last party conference.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lovechop posted:

my main memory of 9/11 was that cardcaptor sakura was on cartoon network but i couldn't watch it because my dad was hogging the TV with some stupid plane thing

hey same

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jabby posted:

I assume the person in charge of this quit after they all started standing like they'd poo poo themselves at the last party conference.

Maybe it's some fourth-dimensional chess that by standing in such bizarre and hilarious positions it allows their bullshit to pass through ears with less scrutiny.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

It's also the first general election where people born after the first Scottish and Welsh elections can vote.

I was at a trade show in Boston manning a booth for the company I worked for immediately before the attacks, then flew to Michigan to see my girlfriend of the time. The planes that were hijacked were flown out of Boston, so for a little bit while I was sound asleep in Michigan my parents didn't know if I might have been on one of those planes. The phone call when I called home and let them know I was safe is the only time I've ever heard my dad cry.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I was at school, the guy who was obsessed with terrorism and was going to go to Sandhurst* immediately went "It's Osama Bin Laden I guarantee!" and we sat around in the TV room watching it for the rest of the afternoon

*He didn't because he decided to beat someone up on the last day of school and ruptured their spleen and had charges pressed; he's now a fixit man in London like you see in the televisions

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This explains quite a lot, actually

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I was working a lovely minimum wage job for Exeter county council in the records office. The woman opposite me took absolutely no interest at all even as it was all happening live on TV and didn't seem to think it was significant in any way and got a bit annoyed when I started talking about it because she wanted to get on with her filing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zephro posted:

I was working a lovely minimum wage job for Exeter county council in the records office. The woman opposite me took absolutely no interest at all even as it was all happening live on TV and didn't seem to think it was significant in any way and got a bit annoyed when I started talking about it because she wanted to get on with her filing.

What a pro.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

learnincurve posted:

I'd assume the other 3% was splinter groups the major players didn't want to claim as their own, or killings that may have been murders so didn't get counted and whatnot.

I lived in Ireland in 97/98 and the overwhelming relief amongst the young that they didn't have to carry on with their parents and grandparents grudges can't be put into words. The summer of 98 had this unreal kind of celebration in the air, the atmosphere at every festival or event was ramped up to 11.

gently caress you if you want to start up this old poo poo again, and double gently caress you if you want to bring the youth back into it. What the Irish/NI olds did to the youth is far far worse than what the boomers are doing in the UK. Who gives a poo poo who had what meeting with who back in the day, if that meeting even made a tiny bit of a difference to ending the violence then it was worth it.

Similar background as you (92-98) and by gently caress you're right, nobody there wants any of this old shite being drug up again.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I moved recently to this constituency https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_Kemptown_(UK_Parliament_constituency) just before the election call, registered to vote shortly after election call and got no response either by email or post. Spent 20 mins hanging on the phone today to check if im sorted and I am apparently. I will be well narked off if I dont receive my ballot but the very nice man I spoke to told me that even without it I can go down there and my name will be on list.

I did the online version so I dunno why I couldn't have had at least a 'it worked you git' email.

I will be voting labour, there is a chance they might win, it was pretty close in 2015.

e: Its actually a shame a bit because the current guy isnt a total oval office, apart from having 6 children which is just mental.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 22, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I walked into class and it was on the telly and I did the Nelson ha ha #911memories #wherewereyouwhen

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I was in a shockingly expensive apartment in Singapore, watching as my then girlfriends Dad frantically tried to call up people he knew who lived/worked there :(

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

My guilty secret is my fascination with the Howard Stern show from america, they were live on air being silly as it happened in New York https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64zZaAbhtps

Interestingly the man actually predicted it was Osama half way through the thing.

e: its also interesting for the 'loving bomb kill them all!' reaction from the hosts which is basically what America did isn't it.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 22, 2017

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I heard about 9/11 in my mum's car after school, and then watched it on the telly when we got in.

What was really traumatic was that our hamster had died as well.

2,996 human deaths + 1 hamster. RIP Steffen.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Barry Foster posted:

I heard about 9/11 in my mum's car after school, and then watched it on the telly when we got in.

What was really traumatic was that our hamster had died as well.

2,996 human deaths + 1 hamster. RIP Steffen.
How did your hamster get a job in the WTC :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Look at these rich bourgies with their frivolous satellite channels in 2001.

• Locked thread