Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

QuarkJets posted:

IIRC fridges with french doors cost way more, and stainless steel fridges cost way more. I personally see no utilitarian benefit from either of these things (there's an argument that french doors let you bend down less, but I don't think that's accurate), so keep that in mind if you don't care as much about those kinds of stylistic choices

The french doors are because we don't have enough space for the the full open door. Perils of buying a 110 year old home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Sab0921 posted:

The french doors are because we don't have enough space for the the full open door. Perils of buying a 110 year old home.

Even houses from the 50s have this issue. Like, say, mine.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I just bought a fridge yesterday to replace the one that stopped holding temperature yesterday morning. It's definitely worth it to see and touch them in person. We bought a stainless steel fridge at our last house and I was really unimpressed with how dirty it looked from fingerprints, etc. When we looked yesterday I noticed that some models had much better the finishes were on some stainless models than others. Also, the quality of the plastics, lighting, etc. varied greatly between makes/models even on similarly priced units.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Bring a magnet with you. Some fridges got it and some fridges don't.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Next step for home ownership - turns out the cable and ethernet wiring just kind of terminate in the crawl space (no patch panel or anything of the sort). So it's wired for Cat5 and Co-Ax - but there is no terminal for either actually inside the freaking house. How do you go about remedying that situation so I can get Internet hooked up - seemingly leaving it hanging outside is not likely the best option here.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Buy a punchdown tool and some cat5 termination blocks.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Buy a punchdown tool and some cat5 termination blocks.

Sure - I mean - I guess they're terminated properly inside the house - the wires just run through the bottom and kind of stick out of the crawlspace. Seemingly, there should be access somewhere in the actual home.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
How much slack? And is it just a bundle of cut cables sitting in the middle of the crawlspace? If you've got the slack, might be worth finding a closet from underneath and pulling them up through to it and terminating them in there

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

couldcareless posted:

How much slack? And is it just a bundle of cut cables sitting in the middle of the crawlspace? If you've got the slack, might be worth finding a closet from underneath and pulling them up through to it and terminating them in there

Literally just a bundle of cut cables sitting in the crawlspace. There is a good amount of slack there, but not sure if enough to run to a closet, but can try.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I recently replaced an oil-fed furnace with a natural gas unit. I live in the Pacific Northwest, I do not have air conditioning and I have a single story rambler with a walk-out basement that stays very cool year round.

I mention this because our new furnace has an independent circulation fan that pulls air from the basement and circulates it throughout the house. We didn't have anything like this before and this is the first opportunity since installing it that we've been able to take advantage of it.

My question: given that it's hot as balls outside and the ambient temperature in my house (on the main floor where the thermostat is) will never get below 70F on its own without a/c, is it ok to just run the fan all day to take advantage of the cool basement air or will I kill the unit doing that?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can and should run the fan to circulate air without having the heat on.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I recently replaced an oil-fed furnace with a natural gas unit. I live in the Pacific Northwest, I do not have air conditioning and I have a single story rambler with a walk-out basement that stays very cool year round.

I mention this because our new furnace has an independent circulation fan that pulls air from the basement and circulates it throughout the house. We didn't have anything like this before and this is the first opportunity since installing it that we've been able to take advantage of it.

My question: given that it's hot as balls outside and the ambient temperature in my house (on the main floor where the thermostat is) will never get below 70F on its own without a/c, is it ok to just run the fan all day to take advantage of the cool basement air or will I kill the unit doing that?

That's a pretty cool setup. I've heard of attic fans to push hot air outside, but yours seems better. It's like... Geologic cooling!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Next step for home ownership - turns out the cable and ethernet wiring just kind of terminate in the crawl space (no patch panel or anything of the sort). So it's wired for Cat5 and Co-Ax - but there is no terminal for either actually inside the freaking house. How do you go about remedying that situation so I can get Internet hooked up - seemingly leaving it hanging outside is not likely the best option here.

Seems like a good opportunity to come up with your own setup since you already have it in one place. One of the previous owners of my house installed ~8 different coax jacks in various rooms on different levels by running the cable outside and along the roof and drilling into the house through the brick wall.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Drunk Tomato posted:

That's a pretty cool setup. I've heard of attic fans to push hot air outside, but yours seems better. It's like... Geologic cooling!

I am a bit skeptical that the basement has the capacity to cool a substantial quantity of air - but you may be able to reverse the stack effect.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Tomato posted:

Hopefully not pulling a bunch of radon up too!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

devicenull posted:

Is this still a thing? We never talk about it in Canada, but I guess we never have.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Bozart posted:

I am a bit skeptical that the basement has the capacity to cool a substantial quantity of air - but you may be able to reverse the stack effect.

It's nowhere close to an air conditioning effect but it keeps the air moving and it's better than what we had before.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

devicenull posted:

It does exactly this, negative pressure, but if the windows are open then it pulls from the source of least resistance.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Subjunctive posted:

Is this still a thing? We never talk about it in Canada, but I guess we never have.

Radon is basically a thing anywhere you have shallow granite bedrock, usually towards the mountains or in areas that have seen a lot of geologic erosion. Radon comes from the normal decay of trace amounts of Uranium in the Granite -- you can actually get non-trivial quantities of Radon from a having a large amount of granite counter-tops in an area (if it's from a seam that has relatively high uranium content). The solution to Radon is generally just "blow it outside" since it readily disperses and is not really very harmful in the environment: the danger of Radon is that it will build up in confined areas without much airflow (like basements) and its decay components which do not disperse as readily will build up as radioactive dust.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So the house that I bought has a pond... what do I do to get this thing running with some fish?

If it were just up to me I'd probably take the whole thing out, but partner wants to get a pump and make a waterfall and add some koi/goldfish...

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

metztli posted:

I could use some advice about decks and things to look for in a deck contractor.

Materials-wise, we aren't planning on anything exotic - we're thinking decent pressure treated lumber + Behr Deckover.

Noooooooooooooo...... Don't doooo it. Deckover is garbage and should be avoided like the plague. It's wayy too thick, so it's a pain in the rear end to apply, has poo poo adhesion, and will start clumping off in a year or two.

Do yourself a favor and use pressure treated lumber for the structural members of the deck, but get composite for the decking itself. It'll last for years and years with zero maintenance or splinters in your feet. Seriously, unless you live in Florida where everything is a sun baked hellhole with UV and heat that destroy everything even slightly exposed, go with composite boards and do not even think about Deckover.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
So for anyone not saving money each month for repairs... I just had to loan a parent $4000 to get a new dishwasher and water heater. Plan for that poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Elysium posted:

So the house that I bought has a pond... what do I do to get this thing running with some fish?

If it were just up to me I'd probably take the whole thing out, but partner wants to get a pump and make a waterfall and add some koi/goldfish...

That's nowhere near enough volume of water to keep fish alive. The issue is the temp swings on hot days vs. cold days. With so little water, the water temp will change very fast.

Make the pond five times bigger, or just use it to grow plants (and mosquitoes).

e. Just to be clear, you can totally put some small goldfish in there. They sell feeder fish at the pet store for very very cheap. Just don't expect them to live especially long. Also they will be raccoon food unless your yard is totally secure from raccoons (and cats).

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

So for anyone not saving money each month for repairs... I just had to loan a parent $4000 to get a new dishwasher and water heater. Plan for that poo poo.

That seems like an awful lot of money for those two things

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elysium posted:

I don't see a pond, just a potential mosquito pit that you should fill in

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Leperflesh posted:

...unless your yard is totally secure from raccoons.

There is no such thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

There is no such thing.

Concur. After much effort I've managed to arrange my yard so that I never see skunks, possums, and stray cats in it, but I've still seen the occasional raccoon.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I see raccoons get stuck inside dumpsters around here all the time, so just build the outside of your yard out of whatever the inside of dumpsters are made out of.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

raccoons are pretty uncommon in my area. Rats are the real problem.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

IIRC fridges with french doors cost way more, and stainless steel fridges cost way more. I personally see no utilitarian benefit from either of these things (there's an argument that french doors let you bend down less, but I don't think that's accurate), so keep that in mind if you don't care as much about those kinds of stylistic choices

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I remember seeing very few refrigerators that weren't stainless steel and they didn't seem to be much cheaper.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I remember seeing very few refrigerators that weren't stainless steel and they didn't seem to be much cheaper.

Unless you're looking at the low end of the scale it's not unheard of to be charged extra if you don't want SS since that's generally what gets stocked.

I had to pay extra for a dishwasher recently specifically because I wanted in black instead of SS.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Pryor on Fire posted:

I see raccoons get stuck inside dumpsters around here all the time, so just build the outside of your yard out of whatever the inside of dumpsters are made out of.

Just make your attic super appealing and they'll go in there instead of messing with your yard!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Maybe you're looking in the wrong place, because you should be able to see this trend at basically any of the big hardware stores with a little comparative shopping. Popping over to the Lowes website, here are three fridges that are exactly alike except one's white, one's "easycare" (faux) stainless, and one's actually stainless:

$429 - Frigidaire 18-cu ft Top-Freezer Refrigerator (White)
$499 - Frigidaire 18-cu ft Top-Freezer Refrigerator (Easycare Stainless Steel)
$579 - Frigidaire 18-cu ft Top-Freezer Refrigerator (Stainless)

Last I checked you see similar price increases for buying side-by-side or french-door refrigerators. Top-Freezer refrigerators are ubiquitous because they're the cheapest

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Real stainless steel is more expensive then painted metal by a lot. That said $100 is only 1/5 of a juicero so.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Here's my hot tip for fridge-buying: If it has a door alarm, check out how annoying it is.

I have an LG fridge that really loves to beep. Its alarm can't be disabled, so when I clean the fridge I put a piece of tape over the sensor or put up with a soundtrack of one endless beep. It's very good at letting you know when you're taking too long looking for something or putting the groceries away, but didn't actually work the one time the door was slightly ajar and leaking -- I guess it wasn't open by enough.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Interesting, my LG's alarm can be disabled. My wife loves it because I tend to graze through the fridge.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Come on you have to be kidding me you don't have a fridge you can look into from your iphone?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Maybe you're looking in the wrong place, because you should be able to see this trend at basically any of the big hardware stores with a little comparative shopping. Popping over to the Lowes website, here are three fridges that are exactly alike except one's white, one's "easycare" (faux) stainless, and one's actually stainless:

$429 - Frigidaire 18-cu ft Top-Freezer Refrigerator (White)
$499 - Frigidaire 18-cu ft Top-Freezer Refrigerator (Easycare Stainless Steel)
$579 - Frigidaire 18-cu ft Top-Freezer Refrigerator (Stainless)

Last I checked you see similar price increases for buying side-by-side or french-door refrigerators. Top-Freezer refrigerators are ubiquitous because they're the cheapest

When we bought our stuff , the stainless options were either the same or cheaper. The stainless option was in stock. So easy choice.

Edit: It seems like the price differences are mostly when you look at top freezers. If you look at bottom freezers, including french doors. The stainless option seems to be the same on the few I've checked right now.

Sperg Victorious fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 29, 2017

Hydronium
Oct 23, 2008
Sorry to interrupt appliance chat, but I've got a dumb question.

I need a picture hook that will work with a drywall anchor. Something like this:

Does anyone know what these are called or where I can buy them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
If you can't find parts locally you can get a similar function by putting a washer on your screw before screwing into the drywall anchor and don't tighten it all the way in. If you want to get fancy you can use a spacer with it.