Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerringerWhale
Aug 17, 2015
Personally I don't think Gundam needs to be big. Because if it gets big, we'll get appropriated material. We don't need a Dragon Ball Evolution/Ghost in the Shell movie western interpretation adaptation.

I think it just needs to be recognized without being mistaken as Transformers/Robotech/Voltron. I think it's getting to that point, but not there yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
You say that like there wasn't already a live action American Gundam movie.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
My ideal Gundam game would be to take the Gundam Breaker customization, and move it to a traditional Gundam setting, rather than the gunpla backing of the breaker games. Be an ace pilot that builds their custom mobile suit up from a stock GM/Zaku throughout the UC or something.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Bandai America has much if anything to do with Gunpla distribution in NA at this point in time.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I phrased that badly, the numbers I'm referring to are what Mother Bandai as a whole has been reporting for operating profit in the Americas. I assume the figure includes Bandai America along with sales from other NA distributors of Bandai products.

That said it might not be a useful reference for gunpla purposes, I could easily see something like Power Rangers eclipsing Gundam in the US, even if Gundam is at the top for Bandai overall. Still a kind of interesting trend, and if they've stopped bleeding money here that might give them the wiggle room to take a more active role in gunpla distribution.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mikeycp posted:

You say that like there wasn't already a live action American Gundam movie.

There wasn't.

It was Canadian.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Bandai Namco's videogame sales apparently took a major poo poo a few years back, but the toy and hobby division has been raking in healthy profits for quite a while. Got to wonder what the numbers were on AGE, though, since they expected it to be huge.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

They forecast 15 billion yen in Gundam toys/hobby for the year AGE started, and it ended up being 13.4 billion, so about $24 million less than expected. Funny enough total Gundam revenue exceeded forecasts by about the same amount that fiscal year, so it somehow worked out for Bandai. Thank god for Unicorn I guess, must've taught them to diversify because I don't remember there being as many concurrently running Gundam series before then.

Also I swear I downloaded all these earnings reports for legit market research, not to spectacularly nerd out.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Triggerhappypilot posted:

How old school? Flash Gordon?

A ming the merciless-esque gundam villain would loving own

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Xy Hapu posted:

Also I swear I downloaded all these earnings reports for legit market research, not to spectacularly nerd out.

It's cool, I find the business side of this hobby fascinating. Always thought Bandai was nuts for loudly proclaiming that AGE was going to sell some 50% more merchandise than 00 though. Doubt we'll be seeing anything like that again.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

They probably thought anything could handily beat a show that came out in the middle of a massive financial crisis. AGE sure showed them.

Incidentally Gundam toy/hobby gross sales crawled past pre-2008 levels only in the last 2-3 years. The takeaway being that they probably would have splurged money on an MG G-Self long ago if the world economy had never collapsed; truly the crisis affected us all.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Never before have I been happy for at least one aspect of a crippling worldwide financial crisis but I guess here we are, huh?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Interesting, though the 2008 crisis did not stop them from churning out a record number of MG subjects for the next couple of years... it's not until around 2015 or so that things started getting kind of grim on that front.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Clearly we need another global meltdown to kick them back into high gear. Though in the meantime the least they could do is release the model from the GFT CG short with the suspiciously well thought out but barely visible inner joints, which I am presuming is a nixed 1/100 NG though I would not be shocked at all if they also have a completely modeled MG gathering digital dust somewhere.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The failure of the AGE kits also lines up with the Kamen Rider Fourze stuff, so there was a ton of unsold merchandise from both on stores shelves for a long time. It seems like that's when they shifted to releasing a lot of stuff on P-Bandai instead of through retailers.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

chiasaur11 posted:

It was Canadian.

I didn't know this!

Guy Goodbody posted:

The failure of the AGE kits also lines up with the Kamen Rider Fourze stuff, so there was a ton of unsold merchandise from both on stores shelves for a long time. It seems like that's when they shifted to releasing a lot of stuff on P-Bandai instead of through retailers.

Speaking of which, I would kill for an MG Figurise Fourze.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Hot Topic is selling SD Gundam Neo figures now.

DerringerWhale
Aug 17, 2015

Xy Hapu posted:

I phrased that badly, the numbers I'm referring to are what Mother Bandai as a whole has been reporting for operating profit in the Americas. I assume the figure includes Bandai America along with sales from other NA distributors of Bandai products.

That said it might not be a useful reference for gunpla purposes, I could easily see something like Power Rangers eclipsing Gundam in the US, even if Gundam is at the top for Bandai overall. Still a kind of interesting trend, and if they've stopped bleeding money here that might give them the wiggle room to take a more active role in gunpla distribution.

No, it's not reported that way. Bandai America is not a Bandai local office, it has its own reporting that is reflected on the Group's profits. Gundam is only reported under Toys/Hobby SBU for merchandise/character good sales. I believe Gundam is also reported under media and video game, but Gundam sales are not reported as part of Bandai America because they have nothing to do with it.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Hm, I'm not sure I understand, what does the number Bandai reports for Operating Income in the Americas represent in that case? If I'm reading you right it includes neither Bandai America nor Gundam? This is the table I was pulling from:

DerringerWhale
Aug 17, 2015
I'm saying that number does not include any sales for Gundam even if Gundam is sold in the U.S.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Ahh I see now, thanks for the explanation! So any US sales just get lumped into Japanese sales instead? That's pretty interesting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xy Hapu posted:

Hm, I'm not sure I understand, what does the number Bandai reports for Operating Income in the Americas represent in that case? If I'm reading you right it includes neither Bandai America nor Gundam? This is the table I was pulling from:

The only thing Bandai US does is license titles out, usually to Funimation. A few years ago the existing Bandai US was abruptly shut down and reconstituted as a licensing operation.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I preordered the new MG 00 P-Bandai for $90 I feel like a horrible nerd but that 00 is gonna own own own and I have to have it.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Midjack posted:

The only thing Bandai US does is license titles out, usually to Funimation. A few years ago the existing Bandai US was abruptly shut down and reconstituted as a licensing operation.

Bandai America still exists, and handles a number of toy lines... and SpruKits, which I was surprised to learn are still a thing since no one ever talks about them.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 22, 2017

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bimmi posted:

Bandai America still exists, and handles a number of toy lines... and SpruKits, which I was surprised to learn are still a thing since no one ever talks about them.

I saw some superhero sprukits in toys r us and they seemed real weird

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
They seem cool enough for what they are, but the lineup doesn't seem to have changed at all in two years. Who's even buying them?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

EVGA Longoria posted:

I preordered the new MG 00 P-Bandai for $90 I feel like a horrible nerd but that 00 is gonna own own own and I have to have it.

What's different from the base version?

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Presumably not even kids bought the marketing spin that 'sprus' are a revolutionary part organization system for model kits

Then again runnerless kits seem to be on the rise so maybe kids these days have legit never seen one and were amazed their parts didn't come jumbled together in lovely little bags.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The Muffinlord posted:

What's different from the base version?

It's got some extra giant parts that make a sword or fit on the riser backpack and make it so big the riser needs a stand to hold it up.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The raiser already needs a stand to stay upright, though. It's actually part of the charm that this unwieldly mobile suit is designed to levitate and therefore can't stay upright without power, as far as I'm concerned.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I just stumbled across the Twilight Axis stuff and I was kind of jazzed about a new Zaku III Custom because I like my mobile suits mono-eyed and spiky.

Apparently the release is just a P-Bandai recolor of the ancient-rear end HGUC Zaku III :barf:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
After not building anything for quite some time, I picked up a Duel Assault Shroud, one of the few Seed designs I like. Hope I didn't make a big mistake.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mordja posted:

After not building anything for quite some time, I picked up a Duel Assault Shroud, one of the few Seed designs I like. Hope I didn't make a big mistake.

Well it goes without saying that you've made a major one, because you seem to think this lapse in self-control will end after purchasing just one kit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Potential BFF posted:

I just stumbled across the Twilight Axis stuff and I was kind of jazzed about a new Zaku III Custom because I like my mobile suits mono-eyed and spiky.

Apparently the release is just a P-Bandai recolor of the ancient-rear end HGUC Zaku III :barf:

The Tristan is a rehash of the old rear end HGUC Alex with some Mk 2 and Nu Gundam parts slapped on it. Twilight Axis is basically a sideshow with how lazy the production has been.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well it goes without saying that you've made a major one, because you seem to think this lapse in self-control will end after purchasing just one kit.

Haha, oh, don't worry I'm prepared for that very real eventuality, even got a list planned out for what I hope to grab in the future. Just not sure if the Duel AS is a good kit or whether the shroud's gonna be falling off all the time.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 22, 2017

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
To be fair, the Tristan is like 75% new parts, but it still looks kind of bad.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Bimmi posted:

it's a boring design

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Bimmi posted:

The biggest problem with the Tristan is that it's a 2017 kit with 2004 articulation.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'd say the biggest problem is that the CAD looks like it was done on a Friday and the molds finished on a Monday. It just looks shabby. The antique joints being the main recycled parts is a LOL, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
whatever happened to that goon that was working on the mechanicore Deep Striker? Are they ok? or were they buried under spent runners and rattle cans?

goddamn those mechanicore kits look cool but I don't have the time to paint and detail all of that.