Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I actually keep a little spreadsheet with my backlog and average playtime (from howlongtobeat) explicitly so that I can just go through something shorter every now and then, especially after a long JRPG. The recent ones were Trine 2 (which I dropped, anyway) and Transistor (which I found kind of disappointing but did finish).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm currently trying to go through some short games that I've had sitting around on my hard drive forever so I can beat them and delete them. I'm always running out of space and I have a million indies I've played for five minutes at most.

My PS4 is a slightly more expensive hard drive for indie games.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
That's awesome. I didn't know such a website existed. I am going to use that.
So unbelievably handy

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Turns out the fastest way for me to go through my backlog was to delete and sell stuff.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Finally started playing Stellaris over the weekend. It's really fun. The research events are great, loving the stupid ceramic vessel.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I mean sometimes I look at stuff and think there's zero chance of ever playing it again so that's an easy way to make some space.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
twin peaks revival has made me 100% positive lynch played deadly premonition

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
So, Farcry 5 got it's first teasers, for everyone who's stoked for Ubisoft next open world game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JauiKyWRziE

Doesn't show much, as teaser tend to, except that it's taking place in Hope County, Montana, some sort of inner city with a dark secret, full trailer to be released this friday(26).

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loved Far Cry 4 because it was my first one so I hadn't been burned out yet. It's been a long while since the last one (gently caress Primal) so this is one Ubisoft series I actually am looking forward to. Good to get off those islands and into Montana which should be.....interesting

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Especially what looks like some form of modern day Montana as opposed to wild west like everyone thought.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, unless you can ride a bear, Far Cry 5 will actually be worse than Primal, so

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
There are bears in Montana. One can hope.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Far Cry Primal missed a golden opportunity to be about cavemen and dinosaurs rather than boring scientifically accurate land mammals. Like the ball was on the 1 yard line, Ubisoft.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ubisoft presents: Flintstones Simulator 2019.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
A Flinstones MMO would be dope.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Ubisoft might have their last press conference at this e3, at least with Yves Guillemot. End of an era.

exquisite tea posted:

Far Cry Primal missed a golden opportunity to be about cavemen and dinosaurs rather than boring scientifically accurate land mammals. Like the ball was on the 1 yard line, Ubisoft.

Ubisoft's editorial board hates fantasy and space age sci-fi themes in their AAA games. So any game wanting a big budget needs to be either grounded in history or have a framing device for the fantastical content. For example, For Honor was originally going to have an animus-like simulator for the gameplay before they had a natural disaster make vikings and samurai fight each other.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There was a leak recently on Reddit from someone who participated in a focus group session last year, that this tease jives with. Here's a relevant snippet:

quote:

The idea of doing it in Montana was the predominant idea -- like many of you, we were kind of led to believe at first that it would be a Wild West motif, just to see what we thought of that idea -- but that changed when they started to show us character profiles and other collateral. The general thrust of this game is that it will take place in present day, and feature the protagonist taking on a Jim Jones or David Koresh-like religious cult in a small town in Montana that's been populated by, essentially, Doomsday-preppers bent on furthering their cause. So, modern-day weaponry and modern-day vehicles, plus a hilly, mountainous backdrop. Honestly, it sounded at the time like they were using that to their advantage, given that when you think of Far Cry you kind of think of mountains and hills and the kind of backdrop Montana has in spades.

They showed us some basic promotional videos featuring a heavily -- HEAVILY -- religious angle to the evil. A person (presumably the protagonist) walking through a town that was completely empty, only to walk into a church to discover the congregation is made up of everyone in town staring in rapt attention at a shirtless lunatic leader brandishing an assault rifle in one hand and a Bible in the other. Even at the time, I wondered how they were going to handle the presentation of religious zealotry to the type of Middle America that purchases games for their kids. If they proceed on the path that I saw... they're not even trying to pretend. They're steering the vehicle into the curve.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So it's gonna be Far Cry: RED STATE.

I would probably play that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Snak posted:

So it's gonna be Far Cry: RED STATE.

I would probably play that.

presuming that focus group story is what we get, that would be loving great and would likely be a far better "jim jones horror game" than Outlast 2 was trying to be.

Sunning posted:

Ubisoft's editorial board hates fantasy and space age sci-fi themes in their AAA games. So any game wanting a big budget needs to be either grounded in history or have a framing device for the fantastical content. For example, For Honor was originally going to have an animus-like simulator for the gameplay before they had a natural disaster make vikings and samurai fight each other.

they hate sci fi poo poo yet they crammed that loving bullshit animus into everything? Maybe it's a good thing this company is going to be under hostile takeover.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Would've been better if Far Cry 5 was just set in The Glade of Dreams from Rayman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

presuming that focus group story is what we get, that would be loving great and would likely be a far better "jim jones horror game" than Outlast 2 was trying to be.

They're probably gonna Bioshock Infinite it.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Oh wow, FC5 is literally in Montana. I thought that was a joke.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I mean, all they have to do is Far Cry 3 it.

present murdering your friends and joining the doomsday cult as a valid and reasonable choice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's honestly amazing how many video game endings are literally "no John, you ARE the demons" and these are often vaunted as the pinnacle of storytelling.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

I mean, all they have to do is Far Cry 3 it.

present murdering your friends and joining the doomsday cult as a valid and reasonable choice.

That's not really what that game did. It's more that they inexplicably reveal the native people helping you fight the bond villains are secretly insane and evil at the last possible moment. So yeah, Bioshock Infinite.

The game expects you to get owned by choosing to murder your friends because you're so into the power fantasy, and then ha, you died, owned b1tch.

exquisite tea posted:

It's honestly amazing how many video game endings are literally "no John, you ARE the demons" and these are often vaunted as the pinnacle of storytelling.

It can be done poignantly, especially the first few times it was done in a genre where you're not supposed to examine your gameplay actions. But man is it getting tired.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Games have only had stories for about, one or two years now. Writers don't know what they're doing yet.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
So um, I ordered Injustice 2 on Thursday, I'm on Amazon Prime so you'd expect a next-day delivery but it didn't turn up on Friday or Saturday or Sunday or till 6pm on Monday. I got home from work at half 5 and made a complaint for the first time in years to Amazon about how it hadn't turned up yet. They've refunded me the money and gave me an extra month prime but low and behold at 6:20 the courier turns up at my door. So now I've got an essentially free copy of Injustice 2 sitting in front of me, should I feel bad?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Macarius Wrench posted:

So um, I ordered Injustice 2 on Thursday, I'm on Amazon Prime so you'd expect a next-day delivery but it didn't turn up on Friday or Saturday or Sunday or till 6pm on Monday. I got home from work at half 5 and made a complaint for the first time in years to Amazon about how it hadn't turned up yet. They've refunded me the money and gave me an extra month prime but low and behold at 6:20 the courier turns up at my door. So now I've got an essentially free copy of Injustice 2 sitting in front of me, should I feel bad?

Well now that you've admitted to your crime online, yes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No rip off billion dollar corporations as much as you like

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What are the chances that Far Cry 5 will feature a hilariously out-of-touch portrayal of Native Americans

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

That's not really what that game did. It's more that they inexplicably reveal the native people helping you fight the bond villains are secretly insane and evil at the last possible moment. So yeah, Bioshock Infinite.

The game expects you to get owned by choosing to murder your friends because you're so into the power fantasy, and then ha, you died, owned b1tch.

It can be done poignantly, especially the first few times it was done in a genre where you're not supposed to examine your gameplay actions. But man is it getting tired.

I mean, it still did that thing I'm saying. Obviously, yes, that wasn't the offensive part about it, but I think in a nut shell it shows how out of touch the writers were.

I did not play Bioshock Infinite.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

I mean, it still did that thing I'm saying. Obviously, yes, that wasn't the offensive part about it, but I think in a nut shell it shows how out of touch the writers were.

I did not play Bioshock Infinite.

In bioshock infinite, turns out the people fighting against the nazis are just as bad as the nazis.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
'All people are terrible' is actually an important lesson to learn though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Maybe for a college libertarian.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Saint Freak posted:

whenever someone truth-is-in-the-middle's you, just link'em this little gem(warning, language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70A6zDv_wC0&hd=1

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As maybe not the biggest Far Cry fan (or at all, since the only one I earnestly tried was 3), to me it just seems like they keep making the environments for each game more pedestrian and less exotic.

But I also already live in a rural American hellhole so I don't exactly want to explore that in a videogame.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The antagonist is gonna be, what, cannibals? Some cult? Not a lot of pirates in Montana.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

All the people writing stories now are the kids that grew up watching the morally black and white movies in the 80s like Goonies and Indiana Jones so they're all cynical and feel the need to act out on their disillusionment by pulling gotcha antiheroes and forgoing objectively good people in their media. The pendulum will swing as the gen z-ers get tired of all of the brooding and grow up to write stories about things that aren't abysmal and gen x and millennials will play them on their VR rigs as old people for nostalgia and to beat back the depression.

Phantasium posted:

As maybe not the biggest Far Cry fan (or at all, since the only one I earnestly tried was 3), to me it just seems like they keep making the environments for each game more pedestrian and less exotic.

But I also already live in a rural American hellhole so I don't exactly want to explore that in a videogame.

Uh, didn't the last game that was set in the fake-Nepalese mountains also have a parallel environment that was literally mythical Shangri-la populated by magical tigers and poo poo?

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 22, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh and apparently Sonic 2 was supposed to involve time travel at some point and that's why there's just random stages like Chemical Plant Zone because they're in the bundle of dystopian future levels.

https://twitter.com/necrosofty/status/866702759357292544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mutata posted:

All the people writing stories now are the kids that grew up watching the morally black and white movies in the 80s like Goonies and Indiana Jones so they're all cynical and feel the need to act out on their disillusionment by pulling gotcha antiheroes and forgoing objectively good people in their media. The pendulum will swing as the gen z-ers get tired of all of the brooding and grow up to write stories about things that aren't abysmal and gen x and millennials will play them on their VR rigs as old people for nostalgia and to beat back the depression.

The tide's already turning. Millenials in general are hyper-sincere and produce works about sincere exploration of emotions and personal vulnerabilities through optimistic heroism and rejection of cynicism. Just give it 5 years for more of them to be in a position to make things with money behind 'em.

Phantasium posted:

Oh and apparently Sonic 2 was supposed to involve time travel at some point and that's why there's just random stages like Chemical Plant Zone because they're in the bundle of dystopian future levels.

https://twitter.com/necrosofty/status/866702759357292544

Then those bad ideas got reused for Sonic CD.

• Locked thread