Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Why Draconic Aura and not Luna? They have the same charge speed. Also here to report that my only swordbreaker units are my 5* Abel (who is amazing and i am never getting rid of him) and Ike (and the Eirika I have mentioned before). So, uh, gonna have to wait a while on that project it seems.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Stephen9001 posted:

Why Draconic Aura and not Luna? They have the same charge speed. Also here to report that my only swordbreaker units are my 5* Abel (who is amazing and i am never getting rid of him) and Ike (and the Eirika I have mentioned before). So, uh, gonna have to wait a while on that project it seems.

Draconic Aura, not Dragon Fang. Draconic Aura is basically the ATK version of Bonfire, while Dragon Fang is the Ignis.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

For what it's worth, Swordbreaker took my Sharena from "has trouble fighting sword lords" to "eats sword lords for breakfast."

Seriously. Lucina used to be a problem for her. Not anymore!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Draconic Aura, not Dragon Fang. Draconic Aura is basically the ATK version of Bonfire, while Dragon Fang is the Ignis.

How is this relevant to the fact that Draconic Aura and Luna have the exact same charge rate? This doesn't explain why you would choose Draconic Aura over Luna, since charge rate is irrelevant in this comparison since they are identical.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So what's the best assist skill and C skill for Xander? I gave him swap from Subaki. Maybe either threaten defence/attack? Already got Hone Calvary on Stahl.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

How is this relevant to the fact that Draconic Aura and Luna have the exact same charge rate? This doesn't explain why you would choose Draconic Aura over Luna, since charge rate is irrelevant in this comparison since they are identical.

Draconic Aura (1.3a-d) vs Luna (a-0.5d)
1.3a-d > a-0.5d
0.3a > 0.5d
a > 1.667d

QED: Draconic Aura is stronger when Attacker's attack is greater than 1.667 times of Defender's defense

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I've got a 4* Reinhardt, 3* Ursula and Cecilia, and three Gunters to mulch eventually.

What skills/which characters should I be on the lookout for to eventually build a decent Horse Emblem team?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

biosterous posted:

I've got a 4* Reinhardt, 3* Ursula and Cecilia, and three Gunters to mulch eventually.

What skills/which characters should I be on the lookout for to eventually build a decent Horse Emblem team?

Depending on the nature, Reinhardt ranges from really good to probably best character in the game

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Even Reinhardts worst IV puts him as a great blue unit in a sea of mediocrity

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ostentatious posted:

Even Reinhardts worst IV puts him as a great blue unit in a sea of mediocrity

I have a +Res reinhardt, and he and Xander are my master baiters.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I do the spd+3/sword breaker build too for Sharena. I'd do something more with her A slot but I leveled Sharena way before SI came in so she ended up very short on SP. I like spd+3 just cause it lets her tank some stuff.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Stephen9001 posted:

Draconic Aura is a flat damage increase. Luna's value scales depending on your opponent's DEF.

On units with high enough ATK, Draconic Aura wins or evens out unless your opponent has very high DEF. That makes DA more consistent.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Swordbreaker sharena was on my core for a long time, she's real good

Final arena score is 4820. Hopefully that's enough for tier 18. After this I'll have one more difficult week trying not to derank and then hopefully it'll be smooth sailing once the whales sort into tiers 19 and 20 and some lower scorers come up into 18. I just want to stay in a 4 orb tier.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I wish the game would explain better how defense works.

My defense team has:
- Nino +1 (Fury,Desperation)
- Azura (new moon, WoM2)
- Kagero (reposition, death blow 3)
- Roy (i don't care, an assortment of mediocrity)

And yet I'm at 0 points. Did nobody pick me? Did my team lose against a bunch of horse emblems? I have no idea, and there's no way to know.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Currently looking through my listing of characters, since I'm 1 below the cap and looking to get rid of a bunch, and decided to look at my FIVE Pallas since I want to move WoM onto some of my dancers and/or mages - and thus want to figure out which one to keep.

Again, 5 Pallas. Aaand their natures are...
- 2 Neutral
- +HP/-ATK
- +SPD/-ATK
- +DEF/-ATK

The only ones that weren't (probable) reward ones are all loving -ATK. Are you goddamn serious?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

KoldPT posted:

I wish the game would explain better how defense works.

My defense team has:
- Nino +1 (Fury,Desperation)
- Azura (new moon, WoM2)
- Kagero (reposition, death blow 3)
- Roy (i don't care, an assortment of mediocrity)

And yet I'm at 0 points. Did nobody pick me? Did my team lose against a bunch of horse emblems? I have no idea, and there's no way to know.

You didn't beat anybody. I recommend dumping Roy and putting some real garbage in instead and hoping the rest of your comp can 3v4 them. My team of 3 real characters plus a level 27 4 star Alphonse got me a max score.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Horse emblem seems strong but how does it fare in the arena? Don't cav units (the cav mages anyway) typically have low BSTs so unless you have a LOT of merges, your score will suffer?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Horse emblem seems strong but how does it fare in the arena? Don't cav units (the cav mages anyway) typically have low BSTs so unless you have a LOT of merges, your score will suffer?

I ran a Horse Emblem defense b/c of Xander but not offense this season, and maxed my defense score. I use higher BST units (but also Xander and Rein because you'd be dumb not to use them) on offense

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I'm tier 16 now. Running 4 horses (Xander/Abel/Cecilia (only 4*)/Ursula) gave me a score that wasa around 4,715? I forget the exact score, but as of an hour ago it gave me rank 17,600, when you need to be 18,045 to move up. I just finished my second run (not using any seals or anything, just going on) with Xander/Cecilia/Ursula/Hector for more BST, and got 4,774. I think it was a boost by like 40-70 points, and put me at rank 7,295 out of 18,000 needed to rank up. So a slight BST change can be a pretty big difference in tiers. I'm thinking if I should start saving feathers to rank up second/third Effies, so I can have a merged armor unit with a very high BST.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

big trivia FAIL posted:

I ran a Horse Emblem defense b/c of Xander but not offense this season, and maxed my defense score. I use higher BST units (but also Xander and Rein because you'd be dumb not to use them) on offense

I guess I should have clarified, I meant for offense in the arena. Defense seems easy to max out as long as you have a bonus unit

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm using Horse Emblem for offense this week and my score is 4,654, which is enough to move me up a tier this week. (Tier 15)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Current guesses are that worst case scenario an all cav team averages 2 less points than an all infantry team, or 4 less than an all armor team. That's per match.

At that granularity it's still just best guesses though because of variance.

You can read more about it here https://m.imgur.com/a/Mz4yP

Good luck, but I really wouldn't worry about it. Fully rank and inherit your team and play well.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 22, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Depending on the number of dueling crests I'm willing to spend I can get a full 10 points over my minimum score every match so I think outside of the true top of the top, you can get the rank you want if you're willing to surrender low scores.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Eh, based on that Arena scoring breakdown, seems like my best bet is just promoting more units to merge with my core of Nino, Reinhardt, and Eirika to score higher

In two weeks, the Askr bonus unit should be Sharena right? I can get a Nino+1 and then probably have enough to promote Alfonse to 5* by the time he comes back in like 5 weeks

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
I think an Azura on my first try today makes up for fruitlessly dumping 60 orbs into the lady mages banner.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
When people talk about swordbreaker Sharena, do they mean swordbreaker 3 or is swordbreaker 2 acceptable?

E: And is it even important if I've got a +Spd/-Res Linde for killing swords?

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 23, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

oliveoil posted:

When people talk about swordbreaker Sharena, do they mean swordbreaker 3 or is swordbreaker 2 acceptable?

Honestly even swordbreaker 1 would be fine most of the time. The only real purpose to upgrading the rank is for increased arena score.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Oh, thanks! That's good to know. So many skills seem like they would be nice but then I realize maxing them would mean spending 20k feathers on a unit just to feed it to another unit.

I take it that applies to lancebreaker, axebreaker, too?

And with the talk of blade tomes being acceptable at less than max, does that suggest it may be worth having Linde eat my Odin for a less than max blarblade? I hesitate there, since she doesn't get huge horse emblem stat buffs.

Do we want max level Ruby, Sapphire, etc. weapons? I'm tempted to put a non-plus ruby sword on my Olivia because she's so weak, but I can't see that giving her a big enough bonus over her silver sword in the unlikely event that I 5* her one day.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can get swordbreaker 3 off a 4* Abel so there's no need for a 20k investment

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
well i'm up to 22k feathers and now i'm staring at anna, sharena and zephiel wondering which one i should 5* given that all my good units are armored but i don't have anywhere near the resources to run actual Armor Emblem

e: like, i don't think 5* zephiel is even worth it without him also eating a hector for distant counter, and i still can't decide is -atk/+spd or -atk/+def hector is better because both have purposes they serve better

zephiel, hector and effie would also all need to eat people with better specials too, since their defaults are awful

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 23, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rascyc posted:

You can get swordbreaker 3 off a 4* Abel so there's no need for a 20k investment

you don't necessarily get all the low tiers you want

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ungulateman posted:

well i'm up to 22k feathers and now i'm staring at anna, sharena and zephiel wondering which one i should 5* given that all my good units are armored but i don't have anywhere near the resources to run actual Armor Emblem

e: like, i don't think 5* zephiel is even worth it without him also eating a hector for distant counter, and i still can't decide is -atk/+spd or -atk/+def hector is better because both have purposes they serve better

zephiel, hector and effie would also all need to eat people with better specials too, since their defaults are awful

-Atk/+Spd is better because avoiding doubles is more important.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Elyv posted:

you don't necessarily get all the low tiers you want

Yeah. :(

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Did everyone who was in tier 17 get the tier 17 reward payout?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You get the reward for the tier you end up in afterwards

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

ungulateman posted:

Sharena is a better 5* unit than Anna, generally, unless you're really low on axe units.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I got a +def/-hp Fcorrin, is she worth using?

Also, is there any kind of goonwiki for this game? Would be useful to get general goon consensus on what units are worth, what skills they like, what team comps they work with, etc. The official wiki has a tier list, but Reinhardt isn't even in the top two tiers so I'm hesitant to believe it's validity.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

You get the reward for the tier you end up in afterwards

:stare: looks like I missed the cutoff for tier 16 by like 20 people then

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CodfishCartographer posted:

I got a +def/-hp Fcorrin, is she worth using?

Also, is there any kind of goonwiki for this game? Would be useful to get general goon consensus on what units are worth, what skills they like, what team comps they work with, etc. The official wiki has a tier list, but Reinhardt isn't even in the top two tiers so I'm hesitant to believe it's validity.

Tier lists are even more useless than usual in this game

Just ask in the thread if you have questions

Those IVs seem fine for FCorrin but whether she's worth using depends on a lot of factors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
If you merge a +1 unit into a base unit, do you end up with a +1 or +2 unit?