Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

But even then what's the suggestion, that there's going to be a new tax band at 80k and it's going to be 25% which would be a massive cut? 25% higher? Putting the top rate at 70%?

What does it meeeean?

my best guess at something plausibly deniable that they can pretend they meant to say was that there will be at least 1 million people whose current overall tax rate (all tax paid/all income) will be over 25% when previously it was not. From my back of the envelope calculations that's people earning between roughly £68-75k? maybe that works out to 1,000,001 people or so i dunno

e: it's some interval between the 94th and 96th percentiles for income, the true commoners here
e2: i think i've hosed up my spreadsheet nobody quote this and hire a real accountant to do your taxes let this be a lesson for you

Angepain fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Chip shops down south don't always remove skin from the fish before battering it.

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

Pissflaps posted:

Chip shops down south don't always remove skin from the fish before battering it.

dirty dirty bastards

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

They don't do that up here, that's arguably the point if you're ordering something like plaice.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Spuckuk posted:

3.50 in Liverpool

Youse are getting ripped

"You're getting ripped" when referring to London is the understatement of the century. I mean, this is a city where you can expect to pay £20 for a bowl of spaghetti bolognese.

I love London though. Best city in the world.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
mushy peas with fish and chips are great

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

They don't do that up here, that's arguably the point if you're ordering something like plaice.

I only ever order cod and the skin is never left on.

Funny thing about chip shops: it's the only place where you'll indicate you want two of something by saying 'twice'. Like, 'cod and chips twice'.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

Every time I've been to London I wish I wasn't in London.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

a city where you can expect to pay £20 for a bowl of spaghetti bolognese.

what the gently caress

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pochoclo posted:

"You're getting ripped" when referring to London is the understatement of the century. I mean, this is a city where you can expect to pay £20 for a bowl of spaghetti bolognese.

like gently caress lol

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

what the gently caress
They don't have The Shops like the rest of us.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

what the gently caress

I poo poo you not, I saw this last week at some trendy italian place near work.

TheRat posted:

Every time I've been to London I wish I wasn't in London.

Oh come on, today was sunny and perfect and I strolled through the park and it's loving paradise

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I don't know where Jeremy Corbyn is right now or what he's doing but he's probably enjoying one of the best days of his life, certainly since becoming Labour leader, and I hope he's having a good time.

Edit: If I had to live in London I'd probably live off Guinness because it's cheaper than most of the food.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Pochoclo posted:

That's a strange way to spell Bristol

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

Oh come on, today was sunny and perfect and I strolled through the park and it's loving paradise

Now imagine being somewhere nice like Scarborough or Brighton instead

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pochoclo posted:

lets start with the really bad air quality

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

namesake posted:

I don't know where Jeremy Corbyn is right now or what he's doing but he's probably enjoying one of the best days of his life, certainly since becoming Labour leader, and I hope he's having a good time.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/866745493027786752

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
why is anyone surprised that poo poo costs so much in London when they had a loving cafe charging £4 for a bowl of loving cereal

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Pochoclo posted:

They have sunlight and nice parks in other places too

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/866719202677317639

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spag bog is like, the food I make because it does leftovers and I can eat it easy.

It barely qualifies as real food.

loving Christ. For £20 it better be made out of loving unicorns.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

why is anyone surprised that poo poo costs so much in London when they had a loving cafe charging £4 for a bowl of loving cereal

I assumed that was population density making shops-for-complete-idiots more viable.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Reader comments in the Guardian and the FT AND the Daily Mail all strongly negative towards Theresa May tonight, that's... quite the spread of opinion.

I mean, you'd kind of expect the Guardian to be against her but the other two?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Spag bog is like, the food I make because it does leftovers and I can eat it easy.

It barely qualifies as real food.

loving Christ. For £20 it better be made out of loving unicorns.

the difference is the restaurant will make the pasta themselves.

i am going to get a pasta maker when I get back from holiday so I can make my own spaghetti and noodles

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JFairfax posted:

i am going to get a pasta maker when I get back from holiday so I can make my own spaghetti and noodles

Supermarket pasta is nice though, it's like chewy bread.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

JFairfax posted:

I have it on great authority (Gino D'Acampo) that fresh pasta is useless and the only reason they have it is because it makes them look good.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheRat posted:

Now imagine being somewhere nice like Scarborough or Brighton instead
Scarborough is not so great as anyone who's ever lived near Scarborough will tell you.

Now Filey that's a whole different kettle of fish.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

jBrereton posted:

Scarborough is not so great as anyone who's ever lived near Scarborough will tell you.

I lived there for a week and it was loving fantastic for that limited time at least.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheRat posted:

I have it on great authority (Gino D'Acampo) that fresh pasta is useless and the only reason they have it is because it makes them look good.

The long life dry pasta is a bit hard to cook right without getting hard inside or soggy outside but the short life stuff is just what I look for in food.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I also lived in Bexhill for three weeks and found that to be quite lovely.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheRat posted:

fresh pasta tastes so much better

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
OK well as a local yokel not a norwegian tourist there are multiple nicer places up and down the coast that aren't so overtly seedy and run down.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TheRat posted:

I believe that the whole point of pasta is for it to be dried and fresh pasta is a myth like goose fat.

OwlFancier posted:

The long life dry pasta is a bit hard to cook right without getting hard inside or soggy outside but the short life stuff is just what I look for in food.

How the hell do you gently caress up cooking pasta?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pistol_Pete posted:

Reader comments in the Guardian and the FT AND the Daily Mail all strongly negative towards Theresa May tonight, that's... quite the spread of opinion.

I mean, you'd kind of expect the Guardian to be against her but the other two?

Being an important Tory is like being the whip hand of a dog sled pulled by rabid wolverines. Woe betide anything that lies in front of you but woe betide you if they sense the hand isn't strong.

Labour is a stage coach where everyone sits comfortably and quietly so long as it's rattling along and then breaks out into a massive row as soon as it starts to slow down.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

I believe that the whole point of pasta is for it to be dried and fresh pasta is a myth like goose fat.

once again you are wrong

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pissflaps posted:

Not being able to cook pasta well has to be one of the gooniest things possible. Even I can do it well & I am a painfully mediocre cook.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

How bad do you have to gently caress up as a Tory for even the Telegraph's resident poo poo cartoonist to rip on your policy?

Their top article is about the Tory manifesto 'unravelling' too. This has not been a good day for them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

You don't gently caress it up, I like mine just done but if you buy the rock hard stuff it goes soggy outside before it cooks inside.

It's perfectly edible, the slightly soft stuff is just nicer.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Not being able to cook pasta well has to be one of the gooniest things possible. Even I can do it well & I am a painfully mediocre cook.

1) Salt water heavily
2) Bring up to a strong boil
3) Throw in pasta, stir once and wait until cooked

Not quite rocket science, is it

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Remember at the start of the campaign when the Tory campaign was non existent and conventional wisdom was that before long they would get their poo poo together once they got a team in place?

Considering they're still leading in the polls they really are panicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

JFairfax posted:

fresh pasta tastes so much better

egg pasta, which cant be dried and stored and has to be made fresh, tastes better.

E: i remembered wrong
It can

But not the good stuff with a good bit of egg yellows. Thatd go rancid.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 22, 2017

• Locked thread