Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I started TW3 twice and never finished it, getting about 25 hours in each time.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah Witcher 3's story ends up superior not because of Geralt but because of everyone else around Geralt

If you want to look at it that way, the entire unifying theme of TW3 is how the world is moving along without Geralt, dooming him to irrelevance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Maybe, just maybe video game writing is, even at its best, not very good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't have strong feelings on Aloy one way or the another. She was alright I guess.

Geralt is great but my feelings might be colored by The Witcher's way stronger supporting cast who play off him really well.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha I feel the exact opposite. To me Geralt is a mumbly gravel mouthed bore whereas Aloy experiences actual emotions.

I mean, she has an arc and even some development if you care to dig into the story and dialog even a little bit, but if you're only treating the game as a vehicle for gameplay then yeah, she'd come across as flat.

I think HZD's writing is legitimately good for the most part. v:shobon:v

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Geralt's VA reminds me of the adult_swim show Xavier: Renegade Angel and I could never take the game seriously once I made that connection.

This just makes it better

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mutata posted:

Haha I feel the exact opposite. To me Geralt is a mumbly gravel mouthed bore whereas Aloy experiences actual emotions.

I mean, she has an arc and even some development if you care to dig into the story and dialog even a little bit, but if you're only treating the game as a vehicle for gameplay then yeah, she'd come across as flat.

I think HZD's writing is legitimately good for the most part. v:shobon:v

HZD frustrates me to no end because it has a lot of fantastic and imaginative ancillary writing suffocating under mediocre, cliche sludge. Everything that doesn't have to do with Aloy and the world she lives in is great, memorable stuff.

I'm glad I'm approaching the end, because even on Hard the combat lost most of its bite after I got the Shadow Rattler and just started hosing everything down with Freeze rounds.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like Geralt and Aloy and they're both better than the walking block of wood that squawks 'father' every so often that is Lara in RotTR.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The best video game protagonist for goons is Josh from WD2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev3cOGNzd8Q

apparently Shadow warrior 2 is not great on PS4 :(

sorry when I said it looked good, I was actually watching a PC video

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just give me a side story where Aloy and her Hunting Lodge buddy go on a road trip

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lol what the gently caress, that video is nitpicky even by Digital Foundry standards. It's a shame that it's at a locked 30 instead of 60fps but otherwise it's a solid port. Usually games that look this good can't even meet 30.

The ground textures poo poo made my eyes roll out of my head.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

an actual dog posted:

lol what the gently caress, that video is nitpicky even by Digital Foundry standards. It's a shame that it's at a locked 30 instead of 60fps but otherwise it's a solid port. Usually games that look this good can't even meet 30.

The ground textures poo poo made my eyes roll out of my head.

Its a Digital Foundry video. The kind of people that don't give a poo poo about those kinds of things usually don't really watch them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Digital Foundry is cool. They're the only comprehensive resource out there for PS4 Pro enhancements and knowing whether or not a game allows 60fps in a genre where input lag is important (for example, a first-person shooter) can be a make or break deal for some. I like watching all their videos even if I'm not all that interested in the game. I wished I watched their one on Nier before I ended up buying it over Steam, could have saved me the trouble of refunding.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

HZD frustrates me to no end because it has a lot of fantastic and imaginative ancillary writing suffocating under mediocre, cliche sludge. Everything that doesn't have to do with Aloy and the world she lives in is great, memorable stuff.

I'm glad I'm approaching the end, because even on Hard the combat lost most of its bite after I got the Shadow Rattler and just started hosing everything down with Freeze rounds.

Haha, it's funny how completely opposite our views are. I think they employed archetypes and tropes for sure, but I was actually pleased at the ways they subvert cliche, by letting the player shut down any romance subplots before they start, for example.

I will admit that I used the default outfit (swapping out mods here and there) and just the 3 bows for 90% of the game, though, so perhaps that gave me a bit more shallow of a difficulty curve.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

blackguy32 posted:

Its a Digital Foundry video. The kind of people that don't give a poo poo about those kinds of things usually don't really watch them.

I care about these things, but I'd rather they just say "it doesn't have HDR" instead of acting like it's some kind of huge betrayal.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mutata posted:

Haha, it's funny how completely opposite our views are. I think they employed archetypes and tropes for sure, but I was actually pleased at the ways they subvert cliche, by letting the player shut down any romance subplots before they start, for example.

I will admit that I used the default outfit (swapping out mods here and there) and just the 3 bows for 90% of the game, though, so perhaps that gave me a bit more shallow of a difficulty curve.

Yeah, I actually thought a lot of the storytelling choices they made in Horizon: Zero Dawn were really elegant and fit the themes pretty well. Of course the conflicts and personalities feel archaic or even primitive because all human knowledge of history and culture has been destroyed, so they are replaying struggles that seem hackneyed to our modern perspectives, which do have all that knowledge. Aloy, because she was made an outcast and learned from the Focus rather than from her culture, can take a more clear-eyed and analytical view on the situation, which puts her closer to the player's perspective.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

an actual dog posted:

I care about these things, but I'd rather they just say "it doesn't have HDR" instead of acting like it's some kind of huge betrayal.

The site is aimed at people who are super into graphics and at least somewhat knowledgeable about rendering techniques so they can go really in depth at times. Most of the time I don't care but it can be interesting sometimes to see what kind of tricks developers use to get better performance, mistakes they make to screw things up, and what kind of corners get cut.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've been thinking of getting a PS4 Pro for a few months now and I've started watching their PS4 vs PS4 Pro videos a bit, just finished the GT Sport Beta one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXZPUUE6wT0

I like seeing the differences in performances across the two systems.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I actually thought a lot of the storytelling choices they made in Horizon: Zero Dawn were really elegant and fit the themes pretty well. Of course the conflicts and personalities feel archaic or even primitive because all human knowledge of history and culture has been destroyed, so they are replaying struggles that seem hackneyed to our modern perspectives, which do have all that knowledge. Aloy, because she was made an outcast and learned from the Focus rather than from her culture, can take a more clear-eyed and analytical view on the situation, which puts her closer to the player's perspective.

It's also that they are establishing a new protagonist in a new setting for a new IP, so it's not surprising at all that it's a pretty straightforward hero's journey.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

bloodychill posted:

The site is aimed at people who are super into graphics and at least somewhat knowledgeable about rendering techniques so they can go really in depth at times. Most of the time I don't care but it can be interesting sometimes to see what kind of tricks developers use to get better performance, mistakes they make to screw things up, and what kind of corners get cut.

It's also helpful for people who have more than one system so that you can decide if the graphical downgrades between PC and console aren't a dealbreaker if you'd rather play the game on PS4. Their review of What Remains of Edith Finch showed me that if I get that game it should be for PC since it runs like junk on a normal PS4.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

mycot posted:

I wonder why it's only female characters who get complaints of being annoyingly perfect.

Because male characters are being lambasted as dull and repetitive.

Bust Rodd posted:

I have tried Terraria and Don't Starve and I think that despite playing video games almost every day of my life for like 20 years I think I'm just BAD at roguelikes.

Don't Starve is the only "roguelike" I keep coming back to, despite being awful at it. I think I made the mistake of jumping in with Reign of Giants though, so the default difficulty is significantly jacked up. Switching off its features feels far too strange though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Today's completely unsurprising news: RDR2 now Spring 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

bloodychill posted:

Same. She's pretty dang cool. I like that every time someone crushes a bit on her she is like "hey what I'm not into you like that, plus hey I got poo poo to do" and it is comically awkward.

At one point some guy said the equivalent of: "I never would've imagined a seeker would be so...well-bred"

And Aloy's response, not even a millisecond to consider, is "don't even go there" :swoon:

Oxxidation posted:

She bores me, a lot, in large part because I keep comparing her to Geralt due to all the gameplay parallels. It's partly because Geralt had a gravelly baritone that made me swoon whereas Aloy always sounds like an exasperated student council president no matter the context, but also because she's so irritatingly perfect and respected by the rest of the cast despite the game's weak pretensions otherwise. The "outcast" thing gets shrugged off after the tutorial and every NPC thereafter who mouths off to her gets smacked down with a smirk and a one-liner within a single scene, if that. It's tiresome.

Sure it's nice that she's a female protagonist who Gets poo poo Done and isn't hogtied into a romance arc, but there's very little to her besides that. Reminds me a lot of Lara from Tomb Raider Rises, honestly, and I couldn't stand her either.

Duder, I don't know how to say this without sounding brash, but Geralt is one of the most boring protagonists in this entire generation of gaming. He's textbook blank-slate power fantasy, with poor quality sex scenes sprinkled on top.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Duder, I don't know how to say this without sounding brash, but Geralt is one of the most boring protagonists in this entire generation of gaming. He's textbook blank-slate power fantasy, with poor quality sex scenes sprinkled on top.

I feel like they push it so hard that it wraps back around into being charming. I was in love from that scene in White Orchard where you meet the woodcutter who's been exiled from town for being gay and refers to himself as a "freak" and Geralt can't pick up on any of the subtlety and is like "Ahh.... say no more. Lycanthropy. A cure exists, but it won't be easy..."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

goferchan posted:

I feel like they push it so hard that it wraps back around into being charming. I was in love from that scene in White Orchard where you meet the woodcutter who's been exiled from town for being gay and refers to himself as a "freak" and Geralt can't pick up on any of the subtlety and is like "Ahh.... say no more. Lycanthropy. A cure exists, but it won't be easy..."

Totally agree. Though it's more a case of the writer's wit shining through than the character being interesting.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ElwoodCuse posted:

That's totally fine with me. I'd rather wait and get a great game than have them rush and put out a bug filled might-have-been-a-good-game. Well, assuming we're not all dead from the Trumpocalypse in Spring 2018.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Talk about a Busy weekend.

RIME
ARMS (Switch) Beta
and now...

Everybody's Golf EU Beta

hell yeah

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DrNutt posted:

That's totally fine with me. I'd rather wait and get a great game than have them rush and put out a bug filled might-have-been-a-good-game. Well, assuming we're not all dead from the Trumpocalypse in Spring 2018.

$20 says the game looks like rear end on a non-pro PS4 so I don't mind putting off upgrading, either

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Totally agree. Though it's more a case of the writer's wit shining through than the character being interesting.

You know Geralt's not a real person right?

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

DrNutt posted:

If RDR is any indication, it will still have its' share of bugs regardless. Remember (as funny as this was) this?

Now don't get me wrong, I love Rockstar's games but the fact that they pushed it back is odd. I had a feeling that this was coming due to Amazon emailing me a few weeks ago about the release date changing to a nebulous "January 2018". They have to have known since last year that they'd need to push it back to 2018, but waited until now to tell us? I don't believe that they had any heavy competition (of this game type) this year besides the next FarCry. I wonder what happened?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

RIME
ARMS (Switch) Beta
and now...

Everybody's Golf EU Beta

hell yeah

Did they salvage anything from rimes development/publisher trouble or is it a mess banking on art style hype and mystery?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rdr getting pushed back is the least surprising thing that could have happened to it

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

El Diablo Bob O posted:

If RDR is any indication, it will still have its' share of bugs regardless. Remember (as funny as this was) this?

Now don't get me wrong, I love Rockstar's games but the fact that they pushed it back is odd. I had a feeling that this was coming due to Amazon emailing me a few weeks ago about the release date changing to a nebulous "January 2018". They have to have known since last year that they'd need to push it back to 2018, but waited until now to tell us? I don't believe that they had any heavy competition (of this game type) this year besides the next FarCry. I wonder what happened?

I feel like, these days, there is a business (obviously, lol) to announcing dates. Big banner games get a release date sort of as a placeholder, WAY earlier than they would even know if it would be due. Perhaps to tentpole stock or investor confidence? And then they readjust it (always back) when they have a clearer picture or whatever that it's OBVIOUSLY not near ready.

Real hurthling! posted:

Did they salvage anything from rimes development/publisher trouble or is it a mess banking on art style hype and mystery?

Edge gave it a 9. That's all I got to go on right now... but... it's something...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I never read the books or played the previous games so I don't really know any other version of Geralt other than Witcher 3's. Even the sex scenes you mention mostly feel like a subversion of the typical power fantasy to me when they involve the sorceresses (who are generally way savvier than he is) taking advantage of them, either just for some good dick or as part of some bigger plan

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bust Rodd posted:

I have tried Terraria and Don't Starve and I think that despite playing video games almost every day of my life for like 20 years I think I'm just BAD at roguelikes.

if you're bad at terraria you may just be bad at roguelikes because its really not THAT hard, the game has some kind of obvious progression. dont starve is legitimately very hard because the game isn't very intuitive and unless you spoil yourself the sort of stuff you need to do to set up a self sustaining camp can be things you'd never bother trying to figure out. i MOSTLY played vanilla but have played some reign of giants and thanks to bad rng luck i rarely even got to build anything. sometimes the game just wouldnt give me gold ore anywhere.

the sort of stuff to do to make yourself self sustaining wasnt immediately obvious or always necessarily easy but then once you did you were basically invincible so i sorta get why they made some changes but making it so you have to feed bunnies to keep them alive in the winter was kinda making poo poo hard for the sake of it being hard, as if you had the supplies to feed the bunnies you didn't really need to hoard them. i think making beef jerky is still viable you just have to stock up while your meat is in season.

man now i kinda want to play don't starve.

oh also they nerfed the poo poo out of willow you loving bastards!! why even play her anymore now that the lighter stinks :<

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nothing says "generic power fantasy" like an ugly, easily-manipulated old dude who is terrible at everything outside of his job description, gets poo poo on constantly by his friends, and was literally killed by a peasant with a pitchfork

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

But no you see it's all okay because he can gently caress chicks and not get STDs

Feenix posted:

RIME
ARMS (Switch) Beta
and now...

Everybody's Golf EU Beta

hell yeah

I want to hear more about Everybody's Golf.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

They probably delayed RDR2 because they thought of some more ways to make the online portion less fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

They probably delayed RDR2 because they thought of some more ways to make the online portion less fun.

Unlock your brand new Pisswasser-livery stallion today! All yours for only 1000 Caravan Bucks ($50 USD) or two weeks of grinding missions!