Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Having a hard time getting OBS to work with this game. I tried using Sven's Glide wrapper but I couldn't capture game source or windowed mode. Reinstalled. I can capture it in windowed mode now without the wrapper, but I can't resize the game to fullscreen windowed on my desktop. How do? This is what I've got so far: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/133308420

Not sure why there is a black bar on the left when it doesn't show up on OBS preview.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
You might get a faster answer by messaging one of the bigger D2 speedruners on twitch. Theres the Llama dude and one other that also gets 100+ people. Even one of the smaller ones might help you out.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Got it sorted. Thank you. Can anyone recommend a wind Druid pvm build for solo play? All of the guides I found are very old.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9s7IT3KTqo

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This is funny. I wonder how hard it'd be to do Diablo II: FPS edition.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Such a missed opportunity to call it Diabloom.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Got it sorted. Thank you. Can anyone recommend a wind Druid pvm build for solo play? All of the guides I found are very old.

Any issues with this one? : http://diablo.gamepedia.com/Wind_Druid_by_Nadenitza

Now that there are respecs in the game and wind being pretty lovely at early levels I would suggest going a fissure build early on and switching to wind mid-way through NM. All depends on how you want to play the game though.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Any tips for trap assassin who hasn't played since 2004/2005?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Thirsty Girl posted:

Any tips for trap assassin who hasn't played since 2004/2005?

It's pretty much exactly the same. Get Enigma and lay a million lightning traps and win.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I want to mess around with the hero editor in a single player save, to make some ridiculous items like a 999 ravens skill amulet or something. Is this possible on windows 10? I install the editor fine but when I try to load my character data I get an error saying the file is too small and to switch the multiple byte letters/unicode to single byte letters/unicode. That's basically gibberish to me but I looked around for a bit on google and as far as I can tell you can't change this option unless you're on windows xp or older. Any ideas?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Is this the place to talk about other non-ES Diablo II mods?

As this month is an exciting time, 2 big mod updates

First off is Aftermath a hard yet balanced mod that seeks to make all areas of the game interesting and tries to force gear changes in response to areas you're going to. It got updated to 3.0 (and now 3.0.3).

Next is Median XL which is finally getting another new release.
Big changes to Median XL include
* In-Game NPCs will reveal maps (no need for maphack)
* No more corpses, no dropping items on death
* Auto-gold pickup :siren:
* Damage/Health cap removal
* Speed rework (both attack/cast) of many item types

Though the median XL one isn't out for a week.

I'm just super excited that Diablo II mods are still kicking around with updates.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Path of Diablo seems to be booming.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I've never tried median XL but it sounds cool except reallllly loving complex to the point of convolution. Am I wrong and it just seems really daunting at first ?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

I've never tried median XL but it sounds cool except reallllly loving complex to the point of convolution. Am I wrong and it just seems really daunting at first ?

Uh yes and no it does layer a lot of poo poo on top.
So while it can be daunting you can pick up most things very quickly. Then the last bit is where it gets weird and annoying interactions with the ubers and challenges again.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So in the year 2017 I have decided to play D2 for the first time. I played it a bit back in the day on friend's computers but I never had any idea what I was doing.

I bought it and played for an hour or so this evening, I am having a blast but am stuck. I had forgotten that you drop items on death and my poor Amazon's body is in a cave in the second map and these fuckers with bows kill me the second I try to get near it. I am about out of money and have no idea what to do. Is the answer "grind until I get enough gear to recover my body"?

I read the Op and it sound like a Necromancer will be easier, should I just restart and be more careful?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
If you leave the game and start a new one, your body will be right there in town with you.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

MMAgCh posted:

If you leave the game and start a new one, your body will be right there in town with you.

Amazing! Thanks!

I'm thinking I should probably read the manual?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Blizzard games generally had pretty sweet manuals, back when video games had proper manuals in the first place anyway, so yes I recommend you do just that. It's fun and (somewhat) educational!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

I read the Op and it sound like a Necromancer will be easier, should I just restart and be more careful?

A summoning necromancer is one of the simplest/easiest as you can go a far way just with skeletons/golem and just walk around observing the fight.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
https://twitter.com/MarkAgee/status/865964115981877248

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

A summoning necromancer is one of the simplest/easiest as you can go a far way just with skeletons/golem and just walk around observing the fight.

Yea, I wasted all day playing today, my guy is like lvl16 now. My army of skelebros is amazing.

But I am getting poo poo for drops, I have not really replaced gear in like 5-6 levels. I am trying to beat what I think is the Act 1 boss, but she is kicking my rear end, I cannot click fast enough!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

MMAgCh posted:

Blizzard games generally had pretty sweet manuals, back when video games had proper manuals in the first place anyway, so yes I recommend you do just that. It's fun and (somewhat) educational!

Na it's going to be VERY out of date

I have the original LOD strategy guide and it's like a totally different game

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ok, my Necromancer is at level 17, has a full possy of skelebros, a spear with three red gems in it, and I still cannot kill the act 1 Demon Lady. Do I just suck?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

bongwizzard posted:

Ok, my Necromancer is at level 17, has a full possy of skelebros, a spear with three red gems in it, and I still cannot kill the act 1 Demon Lady. Do I just suck?

It helps to clear the other rooms first and then lure Andariel out. Keep a bunch of dead bodies around to summon more skeletons. And make sure that you've cast Amplify Damage.

Alternatively, use those fresh dead bodies and blow them up with Corpse Explosion. Andariel is weak to fire and will take additional damage from the explosion.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

bongwizzard posted:

This may be obvious, but make sure you have antidote potions too.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Yeah. Andariel is a level 12-15 thing. Probably just keep amplify damage on her and keep resummoning clay golem to absorb hits. If you get 18 you can put a point in bone spear and it will probably slay her easy. Not sure how corpse explosion works vs her, but I imagine it won't be that bad either. Everytime I've played a necro recently I just don't try to have summons do damage.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 23, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

It helps to clear the other rooms first and then lure Andariel out. Keep a bunch of dead bodies around to summon more skeletons. And make sure that you've cast Amplify Damage.

Alternatively, use those fresh dead bodies and blow them up with Corpse Explosion. Andariel is weak to fire and will take additional damage from the explosion.

I have used none of these abilities, been dumping all my points into Skelebros, Golems, and the teeth spell. I do still have my respect available.

Star Man posted:

Yea, I do clear the rooms and try to draw here out. I am using antidotes too, but I cannot switch abilities fast enough to keep the skeles up and myself healed.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Curses are pretty important; there's absolutely no reason not to use Amplify Damage at the very least. Most of the others are somewhat situational (for a skelliemancer in particular), but one point in AD is a must.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Bosses are initially rough as a summonancer since they'll chew through your minions without providing a fresh supply of corpses. The slow clay golem provides is essential.

The other component to boss killing is the decrepify curse. This slow stacks with clay golem and cripples the bosses ability to attack. Any summoning build should have at least one point in both of these and corpse explosion.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I looked up what Path of Diablo is and I wish I hadn't.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, I do clear the rooms and try to draw here out. I am using antidotes too, but I cannot switch abilities fast enough to keep the skeles up and myself healed.

Are you using hotkeys for your abilities? That's pretty much a must, especially with a necromancer. To hotkey a skill, first click the right-click skill button like you're going to select it manually. Then, hover over the skill and press one of the hotkey buttons to assign it (F1-F8 by default iirc). And just in case you don't know, you can quick-use the potions in your belt slot by pressing 1234.

You can rebind your hotkeys in the settings somewhere, too. I always switch them to ASDF GH ERTY and rebind the skills however is most convenient. This will be really helpful for using your curses and skills effectively - doing things like amplify damage + corpse explosion or raising a clay golem to tank a couple of hits while you run away becomes much easier.

Another general tip is to hotkey your tome of town portal ability to something, too. Being able to get that up quickly can save you from a lot of deaths.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Star Man posted:

I looked up what Path of Diablo is and I wish I hadn't.

I couldn't, from looking at its site, figure out what it was about.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

THE BAR posted:

I couldn't, from looking at its site, figure out what it was about.

It's a Diablo II mod that is based on Path of Exile.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Star Man posted:

It's a Diablo II mod that is based on Path of Exile.

It looked like plain old Diablo 2 to me, just jumbled a bit around, based on the screenshots.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have the hockeys all set up, it's just taking a lot of mental adjustment to click a hockey the select an ability then click the mouse to actually use it.

I swear there is an incredible amount of lag between clicking the mouse and having a fresh Skelebro pop out of the ground.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

THE BAR posted:

It looked like plain old Diablo 2 to me, just jumbled a bit around, based on the screenshots.

I've been trying it out and it's a really restrained balance mod so far. I think the most PoE things are mapping in endgame, corrupting items, online trading, and god damned loving reddit.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My reaction was more of an "oh, it's inspired by Path of Exile" and that game's crowd has really put me off of playing it and I'm told that combat in the game is pretty janky. That's pretty much where my opinion on the game lies.

But I'm of the opinion that if I'm going to play a mod of a game that tries to make it into some other game or borrows a lot from another, I'll just go play that other game instead.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Star Man posted:

My reaction was more of an "oh, it's inspired by Path of Exile" and that game's crowd has really put me off of playing it and I'm told that combat in the game is pretty janky. That's pretty much where my opinion on the game lies.

But I'm of the opinion that if I'm going to play a mod of a game that tries to make it into some other game or borrows a lot from another, I'll just go play that other game instead.
Combat in PoE is better than D3 in some ways. People who think it's janky are looking at visuals rather than reacting to actual gameplay, where d3's combat mechanics are atrocious. Whether how PoE actually plays out on a map vs how d3 plays out in a gr with managing stacks/cooldowns/skipping things is better is really up for debate and down to personal taste, personally I think d3 has a slight edge there, but on the smaller scale of "actually fighting a thing" PoE blows d3 away.

And to disclose, I'm paragon 1400+ and placed in all 4 brackets in d3 this season. So it's not like I hate current d3. It certainly has its positives and can be very fast paced and fun.

I don't think poe really has the crowd people think it does. Most of the top poe players have been decent d3/d2 players and just like the genre in general. The "gently caress d3" crowd are the bad players in general chat who want to play a "not casual" game because they told you they were hardcore. As long as you look up a build, poe is casual as heck now probably even more casual than d3. Also, PoE's hardcore experience is wonderful compared to d3's. It doesn't have anything like the constant upgrade/loot/paragon grind, though. It's more of a game you want to play because it's a game and you're exploring a build while d3 you just kinda grind to get incrementally better and start out with your finished build. You get plenty of upgrades in PoE, don't get me wrong, but there is much less emphasis on getting items once you have some baseline stuff.

One way to compare the two, PoE is designed to actually be played through and with the player in mind when it comes to pretty much everything. D3 was designed by a committee of people who have never competently played an arpg in their life. It was then saved by god drat geniuses who took that dumpster fire of a game and somehow made it enjoyable despite its unfathomably poor netcode, mechanics, and single player. Like, they somehow took a bunch of bad stuff and built a good game on top of it without fixing the bad stuff. I really can't speak highly enough of the people who came up with the current state of d3.

PoE really nails the d2 feeling of "what if I build this way" and keeps you interested in that progression on a new character. D3 really nails the "MORE EXP, MORE ITEMS" aspect of d2 and offers a unique experience with higher GRs and group dynamics. I can't imagine playing through d3 single player intentionally, yet in poe playing through on a new character is fun to the point where I finished top 10 on races one season. At the same time, I've never really been a big fan of poe endgame while d3 endgame is pretty fun still.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 23, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I tried a bunch of different arpgs over the last few weeks trying to find one that I liked and PoE was the one I liked the best, but I have no interest in reading a million forum posts about builds and it quickly became apparent that I was going to hit a wall where being stoned and clicking really fast isnt' enough.

D2 is so far just as fun as my memories of playing it back in the day, I love it way more then D3, which only held my interest for a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I always get confused when people use 'PoE', because usually they're talking about Path of Exile, but at first I think they're talking about Pillars of Eternity.

I haven't really put a lot time into Diablo 2 so far. I'm playing as the Sorceress (currently at Level 16), and I've made it to the start of Chapter 2, but I don't really feel hooked on it so far.

To be honest, I don't consider myself to be a big fan of ARPGs. I picked up Torchlight back in around 2010 or so based on a recommendation, but I got bored with it after a while, and didn't finish it until 2014 for the sake of trying to clear out my backlog. I decided to try Diablo 1 and 2 after reading US Gamer's oral history of Diablo 2. I had a bit of fun with the Diablo 1 Belzebub mod and made it to the end. However, I've heard that nowadays, neither Diablo 1 or Torchlight are really great examples of ARPGs. I've thought about trying Path of Exile, and I picked up Grim Dawn as part of a Humble Bundle a while back, so I have those to try as well.

All that being said, part of me still wants to try Diablo 3. I've seen people playing what looks like post-game content on Twitch, and it looks pretty insane with people fighting superbosses and doing damage in the thousands. It looks a little more streamlined, but it still sound like people aren't really keen on it .I thought maybe it'd be something to pick up when it goes on sale, but I don't really follow Blizzard, but they don't seem the type to have frequent sales like Steam does.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 23, 2017