Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fulchrum posted:

It's weird. This posts bears no relationship to reality, and yet it's such a widely held belief by stupid people, that I can't tell if it's sarcastic or not.

Your beliefs are the stupid ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I groaned really hard when the first thing the dems did after losing an apparently impossible-to-gently caress-up election was elect a pro-business centrist as their chair and high five.

"We'll get the moderate republicans next time for sure!"

Perez is learning, slowly. He's even actually advocating for single-payer now :toot:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

between the center and the center-left.

this got a really depressed chuckle out of me

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

Your beliefs are the stupid ones.

Your beliefs align with Ted Ralls.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fulchrum posted:

Your beliefs align with Ted Ralls.

I really doubt Ted Rall is the only person who thinks the democrats are loving useless.

loquacius posted:

Perez is learning, slowly. He's even actually advocating for single-payer now :toot:

:sigh: I guess it's better than nothing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm going to repeat an old adage here: please do not engage Fulchrum; it's what he wants

Lurdiak posted:

:sigh: I guess it's better than nothing.

I think going on tour with Bernie has been really good for Perez. Speaking to crowds that pretty much only showed up to hear Bernie speak is showing him the merits of actually campaigning on policies people like. Optimism is a dangerous thing in this particular arena, of course, but I'm allowing myself to feel a little of it. Cautiously of course.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 22, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

I really doubt Ted Rall is the only person who thinks the democrats are loving useless.

True, a lot of people are paid by Russia to spread that message.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the fallout from the Tory manifesto – The Conservative lead over Labour has fallen by six points in the last month, but the party retains a commanding advantage"

Independent:

Theresa May faces Tory opposition to social care plans

Times:

Evening Standard:

David Squires:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Fulchrum posted:

Ah yes, Spider-Man's most famous power, belly button projection.

It was used quite a bit back when he started, probably wanted to copy the Bat-Signal?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

True, a lot of people are paid by Russia to spread that message.

:rolleyes:

It's okay to be critical of both political parties while still acknowledging that one is really, horribly worse than the other. That's not necessarily self-destructive in-fighting or insanity. The response to bombing Syria and the almost unequivocal opposition to single payer are both things that deserve harsh criticism, and doing so is not magically going to imbue populist Republicans with superpowers.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bicyclops posted:

:rolleyes:

It's okay to be critical of both political parties while still acknowledging that one is really, horribly worse than the other. That's not necessarily self-destructive in-fighting or insanity. The response to bombing Syria and the almost unequivocal opposition to single payer are both things that deserve harsh criticism, and doing so is not magically going to imbue populist Republicans with superpowers.

There is a gigantic difference between opposing single payer on the grounds that poor people deserve death, and opposing it until we have enough political power to get it done and that even talking about it won't hand Republicans massive political power yet again. But this tends to get lost on leftists, who have that same child-like view of "if you won't give me what I want now, the only possible reason is you hate me".

And the last part is only true if you don't think that being elected despite being irredeemably awful because people think both sides suck isn't a superpower.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

There is a gigantic difference between opposing single payer on the grounds that poor people deserve death, and opposing it until we have enough political power to get it done and that even talking about it won't hand Republicans massive political power yet again. But this tends to get lost on leftists, who have that same child-like view of "if you won't give me what I want now, the only possible reason is you hate me".

And the last part is only true if you don't think that being elected despite being irredeemably awful because people think both sides suck isn't a superpower.

"We have to oppose single-payer in order to support single-payer" is the dumbest bullshit I've ever heard. I'm sorry if you've swallowed the Democrats' line that this is just how politics works, but it's not, it's how you get duped into supporting politicians who oppose your interests.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

There is a gigantic difference between opposing single payer on the grounds that poor people deserve death, and opposing it until we have enough political power to get it done and that even talking about it won't hand Republicans massive political power yet again.

I'm not disputing that there is a difference, but I am disputing the last point, which starts to cloy after twenty-five years. "The only way to do this is by small steps, and anyone practical knows that" is an assumption that has not really borne out when it comes to healthcare, particularly when the middle ground is harder to make a case for.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

Ah yes, Spider-Man's most famous power, belly button projection.

Spider-Man originally put a light on his belt to shine his face at criminals before jumping on their heads, eventually he learned that beating people up is easier if they don't know you're coming and sneaking is easier when you don't have a light on your pelvis.

"'Drain the swamp.' We put it in about two days ago. I said, 'Drain the swamp.' I didn't like it. I didn't like the expression: 'Drain the swamp in Washington,. So I said it three days ago; the place went crazy. I said, 'You know what? I'm starting to like that expression.' And now it's a hot — it's like trending all over the world.”

Ah yes, that honest expression of righteous anger: "This is popular? Well then I'll say it!!!"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

sleeptalker posted:

"We have to oppose single-payer in order to support single-payer" is the dumbest bullshit I've ever heard. I'm sorry if you've swallowed the Democrats' line that this is just how politics works, but it's not, it's how you get duped into supporting politicians who oppose your interests.

Please tell do tell, mature and rational person, how everything you want is actually very very easy to get, and the only reason it hasn't happened is because of corrupt politicians who actually hate you.maybe you can condense your message down to a four word phrase on a red baseball cap handed out by a rapist.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

for the good of the thread, I am pleading: :siren:do not engage Fulchrum in any sort of argument:siren:

he will not and cannot argue in good faith

he cannot hear you over the strawmen in his head

he is not worth the time or thread space

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Fulchrum posted:

Please tell do tell, mature and rational person, how everything you want is actually very very easy to get, and the only reason it hasn't happened is because of corrupt politicians who actually hate you.maybe you can condense your message down to a four word phrase on a red baseball cap handed out by a rapist.

It actually is, it is, and "go gently caress yourself Fulchrum"?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sleeptalker posted:

The most hilarious reveal in Fulchrum's posting is the liberal centrist's fetish for being the "adult" in the room - regardless of what the actual effect of their ideology is, they can rest on their laurels knowing they're the real adult, and everyone else is the same - childish, impulsive, and not operating based on "evidence." To look at an increasingly disastrous situation in this country and realize "we need to oppose the social safety net to rebuild the social safety net" as their takeaway - because then they don't have to challenge the status quo. The "serious adult in the room" makes peace with the world as it is, and wishes everyone else would "grow up" and kneel to the whims of privately wielded power - Obama no longer frets about climate change, because the "private sector has already chosen clean energy." Why worry? The market will sort everything out. Is your life in ruins? Clearly the market is punishing you for your sins.

Grow up and yield to the market, you children! The whims of capital must reign supreme!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Not liking the art direction for the new Guilty Gear.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bicyclops posted:

I'm not disputing that there is a difference, but I am disputing the last point, which starts to cloy after twenty-five years. "The only way to do this is by small steps, and anyone practical knows that" is an assumption that has not really borne out when it comes to healthcare, particularly when the middle ground is harder to make a case for.

Right, because last time literally nothing happened due to Democrat efforts to reform healthcare being undermined and producing nothing.

Last time around, attempts to reform healthcare were destroyed by hardliners who refused to work on anything that wasn't single payer, so by 2001, there was no new entitlement for Republicans to cut, in turn meaning no backlash, in turn meaning no Democratic wave in 2002. Since by telling hardliners to just shut the gently caress up for 2 loving seconds in 2009 and let them pass something, anything, there actually is Democratic healthcare reform up now that Republicans are attacking, it means that we can establish the new system as a baseline entitlement and work from there.

loquacius posted:

he will not and cannot argue in good faith

Do you understand the difference between arguing in good faith and just instantly ceding any point to you?

Taintrunner posted:

The most hilarious reveal in Fulchrum's posting is the liberal centrist's fetish for being the "adult" in the room - regardless of what the actual effect of their ideology is, they can rest on their laurels knowing they're the real adult, and everyone else is the same - childish, impulsive, and not operating based on "evidence." To look at an increasingly disastrous situation in this country and realize "we need to oppose the social safety net to rebuild the social safety net" as their takeaway - because then they don't have to challenge the status quo. The "serious adult in the room" makes peace with the world as it is, and wishes everyone else would "grow up" and kneel to the whims of privately wielded power - Obama no longer frets about climate change, because the "private sector has already chosen clean energy." Why worry? The market will sort everything out. Is your life in ruins? Clearly the market is punishing you for your sins.

Grow up and yield to the market, you children! The whims of capital must reign supreme!

I too remember that Obamacare is not a real thing and Dems in fact passed no laws relating to healthcare at all. That's why absolutely no-one cares that Republicans want to repeal those non-existent laws.

Oh wait, I forgot, you have the attitude of "anything less than giving me everything I want is the biggest insult EVER!" - another very mature perspective.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Duke Igthorn posted:

Spider-Man originally put a light on his belt to shine his face at criminals before jumping on their heads, eventually he learned that beating people up is easier if they don't know you're coming and sneaking is easier when you don't have a light on your pelvis.
If only he had some form of projectile, or maybe a rapidly setting fluid, he could have shot at his enemies eyes to blind them.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Obamacare was real bad though, and it was real bad only because of the ideological muleheadedness of the likes of Lieberman

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Fulchrum posted:

Last time around, attempts to reform healthcare were destroyed by hardliners who refused to work on anything that wasn't single payer,

The gently caress? Winning over the Blue Dogs was the main fight in getting the ACA passed, and largely why it was so mediocre, not because of some supposed intransigence from single-payer supporters.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I mean there literally was a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate AND a majority in the House, but nooooooo, incrementalism and market-based solutionsssss are the only way forward

People like you are the reason why Democrats suck so hard

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Obamacare was real bad though, and it was real bad only because of the ideological muleheadedness of the likes of Lieberman

Well good news, America gets to go back to how it was before. And since it was replaced by something "real bad", it must therefore be good, since otherwise calling Obamacare real bad would mean you aren't comparing it to what came before, which is a completely asinine scale.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Schpyder posted:

The gently caress? Winning over the Blue Dogs was the main fight in getting the ACA passed, and largely why it was so mediocre, not because of some supposed intransigence from single-payer supporters.

I said last time. As in, when we tried in the 90s, and ended up with jack poo poo.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Fulchrum I just want to point out that you are arguing that comic books do not make rational sense. You are the person who does that

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I mean there literally was a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate AND a majority in the House, but nooooooo, incrementalism and market-based solutionsssss are the only way forward
This really bothers me, actually. The filibuster-proof majority, even with Lieberman, was only around for about two months of the Senate being in session.

That said, we loving squandered it. And it really irks me.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

People like you are the reason why Democrats suck so hard

Oh yeah, I forgot that the corpse of Ted Kennedy was allowed to vote.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Well good news, America gets to go back to how it was before. And since it was replaced by something "real bad", it must therefore be good, since otherwise calling Obamacare real bad would mean you aren't comparing it to what came before, which is a completely asinine scale.

You're really bad at logic

(Me saying this doesn't mean that you're not really bad at other things too)

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

You're really bad at logic

(Me saying this doesn't mean that you're not really bad at other things too)

Care to point out the flaw in logic? The previous iteration of a system is the only standard by which said system can be judged. Anything else is just lunacy.

Or did I commit the logical fallacy of contradicting you, and since you're perfect that must mean I'm logically wrong?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
America gets as America deserves.

Too many career politicians, too few parties.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Huh, a bunch of new posts in the Politoons thread, must be today's Kelly finally dropped or some other cartoon that-oh, it's just Fulchrum. :sigh:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

John Byrne posted:

"Steve Irwin was an rear end in a top hat: risking your life for any non-police/non-fireman reason when you have a family is awful. What if you died? Your wife and kids would be devastated! Anyway that's why I'm happy he died and his wife and kids were devastated."
:stare:
This profession is bad because something bad might happen, therefore I'm glad when it does. How does that stand to any kind of reason? He goes in saying the family is the one that will suffer and then makes it all about Steve Irwin's death as a punishment for Steve Irwin.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That's FBI Director, Lieberman to you! He wrote that Joementum all the way from the early 2000s, baby!
\

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

^^^^^^^^edit: shut up you, don't remind me that lieberman is still alive

Fulchrum posted:

Care to point out the flaw in logic? The previous iteration of a system is the only standard by which said system can be judged. Anything else is just lunacy.

Or did I commit the logical fallacy of contradicting you, and since you're perfect that must mean I'm logically wrong?

Or... you could compare it to foreign systems, or to systems that were in competition against it and that were actually debated in committee, or to pretty much every other imaginable health care system

And according to all these metrics, ppaca was bad. It had some good in it, but so did Mass Effect Andromeda, and everyone agrees that Mass Effect Andromeda was a Bad Game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

^^^^^^^^edit: shut up you, don't remind me that lieberman is still alive

I'm honestly not positive that they didn't just trot his his desiccated corpse because they couldn't find anyone else to actually take the job.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

"Flattery will get you everywhere."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

First thought that came at this cartoon:
Do you think Trump has a plan to be interred after his death in a pure gold sarcophagus with an army of mummified servants at his side?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

duz posted:

Have you not heard any of the grad speeched by conservative talking heads? They're all about railing on how terrible kids these days are.
No everyone who spoke at my graduations was lefty as hell, telling us that we will create a better future and stuff. I guess I should have guessed that a conservative would call them all worthless and talk about how old people rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

First thought that came at this cartoon:
Do you think Trump has a plan to be interred after his death in a pure gold sarcophagus with an army of mummified servants at his side?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE0nOfTA3pY

• Locked thread