Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

FYI the Kimoa glasses are spectacular. The $50 customs fee I had to pay however was not.

ahahaha did you have to pay it at the door? I got caught out by that once. Forgot what I ordered but it was from the States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

FYI the Kimoa glasses are spectacular. The $50 customs fee I had to pay however was not.

Look on the bright side, you normally need to be a petite blonde stunner to get that much Nando on your face.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Theophany posted:

Look on the bright side, you normally need to be a petite blonde stunner to get that much Nando on your face.

:trumppop:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
MotoGP put up a tribute to Nicky. It's really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPF9vQKQ9F4

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
My cousin Marino is savage as gently caress. Lmao.

https://twitter.com/mfranchitti/status/866682462474313729

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

https://twitter.com/GanassiChip/status/866677244424597504

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

What do you mean 'my cousin'? Are you Dario?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Wirth1000 posted:

ahahaha did you have to pay it at the door? I got caught out by that once. Forgot what I ordered but it was from the States.

I once ordered an NFL jersey from the States. It was delivered to work but I was out at lunch and they asked the person who signed for it to pay the customs charge

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

Yup. I'd be slightly less annoyed if I didn't order a grand in kart parts shipped through Deutsche Post in January and pay zero in customs. But apparently their subsidiary DHL makes you pay out the rear end. :iiam:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

What do you mean 'my cousin'? Are you Dario?

Dario is his brother. Marino and Dario are second cousins to me.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

Who else has known about this.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Ferrari loved technology, they just preferred that it was engine technology and not aerodynamics.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Theophany posted:

Holy poo poo are you Paul di Resta?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Who else has known about this.

I dunno, like my family? Dario's quite a bit older than me and I still remember him signing a photo for me back in the old CART days when he was driving for Team Green Kool and I was a babby which is one of my all time prized possessions given that he hadn't won a race at the time and went on to become an Indy legend.

I need to get my folks to dig it out of their attic. I did get a massive kick out of seeing Joe Macari sponsoring Formula 2 cars the other weekend though.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
If you are Paul di Resta, how do you explain your poor performance in laustizring??

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

gret posted:

No, but his dad and uncle are awesome people to stay with when I visit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Theophany posted:

I dunno, like my family? Dario's quite a bit older than me and I still remember him signing a photo for me back in the old CART days when he was driving for Team Green Kool and I was a babby which is one of my all time prized possessions given that he hadn't won a race at the time and went on to become an Indy legend.

I need to get my folks to dig it out of their attic. I did get a massive kick out of seeing Joe Macari sponsoring Formula 2 cars the other weekend though.

That's actually pretty Kool.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

gret posted:

lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/866719653976039424

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

drat, poor Nicky Hayden :smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

MotoGP put up a tribute to Nicky. It's really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPF9vQKQ9F4

:smith: absolute shame, of course it seemed like it could happen after the reports came in, but still...just 35 and still racing WSBK. far too young, and to one of the nicer guys. Now we won't have another American champion around either.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There are no Americans in MotoGP and none in F1 and not even any prospects of either one happening that I'm aware of. Especially depressing when you look back at the 80s/90s when America dominated GP bikes.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The decline of American representation in various forms of Motorsport is strange and hard to pinpoint. I think the decline started in the 90s and continued to get worse, even in their domestic series. I'm watching CART 2001 right now and there are 3-5 Americans in a field of 26-28 cars.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

The decline of American representation in various forms of Motorsport is strange and hard to pinpoint. I think the decline started in the 90s and continued to get worse, even in their domestic series. I'm watching CART 2001 right now and there are 3-5 Americans in a field of 26-28 cars.

I think for four wheel racing we can probably pinpoint it to The Split and the rise of NASCAR (which would limit any potential F1 drivers and stock car racing is very much US only). With regards to motorcycles, probably a shift to more off-road disciplines with the rise of the X Games and all the glam the dirt bikes got there.

I mean, JPM is probably the last driver who got their start in AOWR and managed to succeed in F1. Bourdais washed out of Toro Rosso.

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 23, 2017

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I'm late to the McLaren merchandise chat, but do they still make the Mac & Lauren kids books?

I so need to buy them for my kids!

Edit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Speed-World-Mac-Lauren/dp/0743462025

Written by Lisa Dennis

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
With motorcycles, it was because of the formula moving away from ridiculously overpowered 500cc two-strokes that only American and Australian dirt-trackers could ride, to the easier big-bang-equipped 500ccs, and then the traction control-equipped 4-strokes that suited the European riders much better.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
There's also a lack of opportunities for international-class racing in the US. The land mass is too big to follow the few races on the schedule without massive financial backing, and who's gonna pay for some kid to maybe be the next Nicky Hayden when nobody outside our (grieving) world even knows who Nicky Hayden was? Unless maybe they caught some reruns of the Dating Game from the past 20 years? That's a lot of money for a very small chance of a reward, when the alternative is to support a stock car/Indy-focused open wheel/X-Games friendly racer, or push a talented kid into that field. It's like how the kinds of athletes who would have gone into boxing back in the day are now going into MMA (more likely to make it a career) or stick and ball sports (unless their parents LIKE their kids being brain damaged by default, football aside).

Or, take your money to Europe where it'll go further and you'll be more likely to get a return on your investment.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
AMA also got hosed badly under NASCAR ownership. Ben Spies was really the last promising rider to come from it, and he couldn't quite make it in GPs, though he had a lot of awful luck with injuries.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, Rossi was a rare bird that he's an American that wanted to do F1 from the outset (and he did reach that goal, but wasn't able to secure a permanent ride). I knew about IRL, CART, and NASCAR, but F1 was... "What's F1?" for the longest time. All I knew is they had weird front wing setups compared to Indy and CART.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

With motorcycles, it was because of the formula moving away from ridiculously overpowered 500cc two-strokes that only American and Australian dirt-trackers could ride, to the easier big-bang-equipped 500ccs, and then the traction control-equipped 4-strokes that suited the European riders much better.

And any comparable ladder for Americans completely dissolved at the time. AMA went from being a bit of a thing to absolutely nothing.

There also aren't many Americans encamping full time as 14- and 15-year-olds in the junior formulae anywhere, not on two wheels or four. That's what Rossi and Daly both tried, and it turned out they needed a little more talent and a lot more money.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

AMA also got hosed badly under NASCAR ownership. Ben Spies was really the last promising rider to come from it, and he couldn't quite make it in GPs, though he had a lot of awful luck with injuries.

Yeah, Spies was fantastic he was just broken most of the time. I mean, hell, he DID retire due to his injures when he was only *checks wikipedia* *opens up calc to do some strenous subtraction* 28 years old.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

harperdc posted:

And any comparable ladder for Americans completely dissolved at the time. AMA went from being a bit of a thing to absolutely nothing.
As someone who likes roadracing and doesn't really like dirt bikes it amazes me how huge supercross is and how utterly dead AMA roadracing is.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NASCAR is (RELATIVELY) a meritocracy and pays a lot of money, not super surprising that it's sucking up all the American drivers.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Karting is all but dead in North America as well. You have to be pretty lucky to live near a club that takes it seriously I think there's like three club's like mine in all of Western Canada where you pay your membership fee and get a key to the track. I can't imagine somebody coming up into F1 any other way.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, I think the dearth of US drivers in international competition could also be a bit of timing. We're almost 9 years removed from the crash of 2008, and kids who would likely be getting into karting at that time and other motorsports would likely be hitting the ladders at this point.

But we don't have as many now anymore because of that. Mind you that's an international thing, but yeah.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

Yeah, Spies was fantastic he was just broken most of the time. I mean, hell, he DID retire due to his injures when he was only *checks wikipedia* *opens up calc to do some strenous subtraction* 28 years old.

Between 2007 and 2012 there was this six year period where every Grand Prix was won by Valentino Rossi, Jorge Lorenzo, Casey Stoner, or Dani Pedrosa. All but two- Chris Vermulen won a weird rain-affected race at Le Mans 2007, and Ben Spies won at Assen in 2012, on merit.

MotoGP sucked between 2007 and 2012, incidentally.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Between 2007 and 2012 there was this six year period where every Grand Prix was won by Valentino Rossi, Jorge Lorenzo, Casey Stoner, or Dani Pedrosa. All but two- Chris Vermulen won a weird rain-affected race at Le Mans 2007, and Ben Spies won at Assen in 2012, on merit.

MotoGP sucked between 2007 and 2012, incidentally.

And Vermulen was forever and obnoxiously referred to as an official Rain Expert along with Anthony West.

Also, I'm Chris Vermulen's massive loving cheek mole.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Lmbo I love you Fernando :glomp:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Vermulen also won on that sick rear end blue and yellow Rizla+ Suzuki, which kicked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah, I loved that shade of blue. Christ, the Rizla Suzuki and the Mild Seven Renaults... what a time to be alive.

• Locked thread