Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, I am going to have to take Sardine - who Jackie's new 4-year-old sister whom I adopted last year and is still VERY shy about being picked up or even approached with two hands - to the vet at some point soon for her checkup/updated shots and so forth - Never had to take her to the vet first, but she does NOT seem like she will be an easy vet cat... though she doesn't EVER bite and scratch, in spite of her skittishness. At least not me, anyway.

But here's the thing I have been TRYING to practice picking her up and getting her at least a *little* used to the sensation, but I almost never get a chance to do it. Jackie is almost always in the room (or will be shortly) and when Jackie sees me so much as *start* to pick this cat up, she darts as FAST as she can at Sardine, often hissing and attacking (or mock-attacking it's pretty tough to tell) but Sardine will always spring out of my hands at top speed and they will began to chase each other in circles through my apartment until Sardine manages to hide somewhere with Jackie stalking around, fur ruffled. I know it's all an act to SOME degree though, because I went back upstairs after one episode like this and they were sitting together on the couch, friendly as ever, not touching but just chillin' together,

There's also the fact that it seems Jackie *still* just will not let Sardine into my bedroom (well, Jackie views it as her bedroom, I am sure), Lately, Sardine has taken to sleeping like RIGHT in front of my ajar door (I had left a hoodie on the floor there for a few days and it was used every night so I've replaced it with a cat blanket that gets used even more, it seems.

But my point is that it REALLY seems like Jackie acts legitimately possessive over my attention. It is very cute but very awkward when I bring the occasional guy I am seeing/fooling around with home. Although she actually has been surprisingly sensitive at those times, and Sardine just hides of course when anyone comes over, poor girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
It's kind of cute to go back and read my first posts about my cat here. I know it was only five months ago, but this guy has made my life completely 100% amazingly better. I love this guy so much. Nobody told me that waking up every morning at 5:30am to my cat going "mrrrreeeooooowoooowoooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" because he's hungry and wants his grilled chicken pate NOW would be one of the things I look forward to.

Cats are awesome. Thanks everyone here for helping calm my nerves in my first few weeks.

PS - is it weird that my cat only uses the litter box when I'm home? He's weird.

OniKun fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 17, 2017

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Baldur just hopped up on my lap and rolled around all lovingly.

I then noticed he was smearing poo poo onto my pant legs. loving Dingleberries.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

OniKun posted:

PS - is it weird that my cat only uses the litter box when I'm home? He's weird.

One of mine prefers to poo poo in front of an audience as well. Is cat, can't fix

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How is it like to own a hairless cat? I'm curious after reading about their buttsmooches.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Sooooooon...

Poor Snowflake is going to be so upset when this comes home.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Fatfat, my 15? year old cat with adenocarcinoma, successfully made it through the lumpectomy last week and the biopsy results came in. The margins are good, but the cancer has infiltrated her lymphatic system. She's as energetic and hungry as ever but there's no way to know when that will change now that her cancer has not only recurred in sites where tumors were previously removed, but now has metastasized.

She's been my buddy for her whole life and now I have to make end of life plans. I'm not sure when to call it a good run. This is pretty clearly her last surgery but I don't know what the next steps are or when it's time for her to go. I've never had to make that call with a pet.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Fatfat, my 15? year old cat with adenocarcinoma, successfully made it through the lumpectomy last week and the biopsy results came in. The margins are good, but the cancer has infiltrated her lymphatic system. She's as energetic and hungry as ever but there's no way to know when that will change now that her cancer has not only recurred in sites where tumors were previously removed, but now has metastasized.

She's been my buddy for her whole life and now I have to make end of life plans. I'm not sure when to call it a good run. This is pretty clearly her last surgery but I don't know what the next steps are or when it's time for her to go. I've never had to make that call with a pet.

You just kind of know.

You just know their quality of life is at its end and you did everything you could, for now don't deny them any meal they desire and spend as much time as you can.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This morning I saw Jellybean scooting her butt across the carpet and thought it looked odd and when I came home from work there's now little brown lines across the carpet. I can't say for 100% it came from her and not Domino but this just started today. The top google result says worms but would it be normal for her to have just gotten them out of the blue? We've had her for two months now and neither her of Domino go outside. What do you guys think? Worms or something else?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Len posted:

This morning I saw Jellybean scooting her butt across the carpet and thought it looked odd and when I came home from work there's now little brown lines across the carpet. I can't say for 100% it came from her and not Domino but this just started today. The top google result says worms but would it be normal for her to have just gotten them out of the blue? We've had her for two months now and neither her of Domino go outside. What do you guys think? Worms or something else?

It could be worms, but it could also be clogged anal glands, which may need to be expressed by hand. There are guides online to cat anal gland expression, or you can take her into the vet and have them check/perform the expression if needed.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsVcUzP_O_8

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Be aware that you are unleashing the gates of hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah...if it's that I'll just go to a vet and have them handle it. I just wasn't thrilled to come home and find a circle of poop stain so this is gonna have to get solved real quick for my sanity.

How do I tell if it's worms vs that?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If its worms the stain will be wriggling. Check the litterbox too after they use it

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, you can check fecal samples for worms -- they'll be pretty obviously, well, wormy. You can take a fecal sample to the vet and they'll run a parasite screen for you, too, so you may be best off just scheduling a vet appointment and getting the cat's butt checked out and dealt with by a professional.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Of course the one time my cat did drag his butt around wasnt from worms or impacted glands. He just has a fluffy butt and got a whole bunch of poop stuck there. :cry:

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I just adopted a stray and he peed in my bed twice while I was in it(its pretty gross IMO, I heard the cat scratching like mad next to me, went to pet him and bam, wet blankets ewww). Is it the litter? When I try to put him in the litter box he doesn't want to go in. Oh god I want to avoid to go to the vet because it is quite expensive and I need to go back there at the end of the month for his shot... (If I have no choice ill go to the vet). In the mean time I am going to buy a blacklight, some cleaner, another kind of litter, and a new litter box.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 20, 2017

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bleusilences posted:

I just adopted a stray and he peed in my bed twice while I was in it(its pretty gross IMO, I heard the cat scratching like mad next to me, went to pet him and bam, wet blankets ewww). Is it the litter? When I try to put him in the litter box he doesn't want to go in. Oh god I want to avoid to go to the vet because it is quite expensive and I need to go back there at the end of the month for his shot... (If I have no choice ill go to the vet). In the mean time I am going to buy a blacklight, some cleaner, another kind of litter, and a new litter box.

If you have scented litter, try unscented

If you have an enclosed box, try leaving the door open or taking the door off

If you're using pellets or large grain litter, try fine sand litter, or vice versa

If you try all of this and still no luck, check with a vet to make sure he doesn't have crystal dick

Good luck with the cleaning/new trash

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Could he just try to mark his territory(still eww)? Because I just check everything with a blacklight and I didn't find any other spot(couch and floors).

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Bleusilences posted:

Could he just try to mark his territory(still eww)? Because I just check everything with a blacklight and I didn't find any other spot(couch and floors).

Is he neutered? Neutered cats generally won't mark territory with urine, although if he's an un-neutered stray, that's certainly possible. If he hasn't been neutered, you'll probably want to see to that ASAP; I've never owned an intact male cat, but by all accounts they have really bad marking/urine-discipline issues and other behavioral problems as housepets.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Antivehicular posted:

Is he neutered? Neutered cats generally won't mark territory with urine, although if he's an un-neutered stray, that's certainly possible. If he hasn't been neutered, you'll probably want to see to that ASAP; I've never owned an intact male cat, but by all accounts they have really bad marking/urine-discipline issues and other behavioral problems as housepets.

Domino peed outside hit litterbox one time and I got his balls cut off a week later so my anecdotal evidence confirms this.

Appointment scheduled for Jellybean tuesday morning. I wanna get her problem solved because poo tracks are gross and I can't even discipline her for it since she's sick.

Edit: The litterbox was full of diarrhea

Len fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 20, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

You just kind of know.

You just know their quality of life is at its end and you did everything you could, for now don't deny them any meal they desire and spend as much time as you can.

Thanks for this. :unsmith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Thanks for this. :unsmith:

22 cats and one dog in my 33 years on this planet.

It never gets easier.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

He will get neutered after his second shots.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I have 2 cats that have lived together their whole lives. Took one to an overnight vet visit, now he's back and the other cat hisses at him every time he gets too close. Kinda sad cause he clearly wants to socialize and is confused. I'm guessing he doesn't smell right. We wiped him down with petwipes and rubbed him with a towel we had petted the other cat with. Any other advice?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My cat has been diabetic for about two years, with a period of remission. My vet prescribed him Lantus, which right now seems to sell for more than $250 at nearby pharmacies. The vet's office didn't have any other ideas than just calling a bunch of different places. My family doctor gave me a couple physician's sample pens of it a while ago, but that's running out.

The form for the savings program assumes that I'm a human or buying it for a human. I called them and they confirmed that they don't have a form for cats. I've seen people online just fill it out for thier cats and give an approximate birthday, but I'm not sure if any of these pharmacies would go for that.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
My girl just doesn't seem to like catnip; she responds by running catnipped stuff for maybe five minutes, but that's all we get. Because of this, we feel we're having trouble getting her to play with her toys (long fleece( I think) strand on stick, mouse on cord on stick, big rat plushy). I'm starting to think she needs new toys, and maybe a cat perch, despite her general ground cat status. Does anyone have any suggested cat toys? Something she could use while I'm in class and my fiancée is at work would be great, but other stuff to play with her is important too. And if she only scratches carpet, not furniture, is a scratching post worth it? It seems like just another thing she'd ignore.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Norris is now about 11 years old, and I think he's becoming an old man. Still, some recent behavioral changes have me concerned, and I thought I'd pose a couple of questions while I schedule his veterinary check-up:

1. His meow has gone all hoarse. He used to have a big bold mow-wow, but for the last few weeks, it's totally changed. No other signs of URI, so is this maybe a passing thing?

2. He's started to urinate outside the litter box. This has me the most concerned. If he finds something on the floor that's soft or of a material other than carpet, he might urinate on it. He's never done this so frequently before -- on occasion, sure, but over the past month, it's gotten to be a fairly regular occurrence. We'll be adding a third litter box in case Geki's making him feel threatened or something, and as mentioned, the vet's getting involved. Any other suggestions for nipping this behavior in the bud? His diet consists of grain-free, protein-based kitty food. He doesn't seem to be having difficulty doing his business, and he doesn't act like he's in pain. That said...

3. ...he's lost some weight. Unsure if he's been more active or if this is something more concerning. His diet hasn't changed and he's still a vigorous eater. Coupled with the above, though, and I'm a little nervous about his health. :ohdear:

4. He's developed feline acne. I've started brushing his chin on the regular and it seems to have helped. Anything else you would recommend? No big icky zits since the first outbreak was cleared.

Thanks for any comments! I have a feeling the vet's going to be the most informative, but I still appreciate your insights and anecdotes.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

my cat is norris posted:

Norris is now about 11 years old, and I think he's becoming an old man. Still, some recent behavioral changes have me concerned, and I thought I'd pose a couple of questions while I schedule his veterinary check-up:

1. His meow has gone all hoarse. He used to have a big bold mow-wow, but for the last few weeks, it's totally changed. No other signs of URI, so is this maybe a passing thing?

2. He's started to urinate outside the litter box. This has me the most concerned. If he finds something on the floor that's soft or of a material other than carpet, he might urinate on it. He's never done this so frequently before -- on occasion, sure, but over the past month, it's gotten to be a fairly regular occurrence. We'll be adding a third litter box in case Geki's making him feel threatened or something, and as mentioned, the vet's getting involved. Any other suggestions for nipping this behavior in the bud? His diet consists of grain-free, protein-based kitty food. He doesn't seem to be having difficulty doing his business, and he doesn't act like he's in pain. That said...

3. ...he's lost some weight. Unsure if he's been more active or if this is something more concerning. His diet hasn't changed and he's still a vigorous eater. Coupled with the above, though, and I'm a little nervous about his health. :ohdear:

4. He's developed feline acne. I've started brushing his chin on the regular and it seems to have helped. Anything else you would recommend? No big icky zits since the first outbreak was cleared.

Thanks for any comments! I have a feeling the vet's going to be the most informative, but I still appreciate your insights and anecdotes.

Weight change is the biggest issue and what you need to keep an eye on the most. Check with a vet on peeing outside the box (confirm it's not crystal dick) because it sounds like this is a newer behavior without any other changes being potential triggers for it so far. For cat acne, wash his food and water bowls daily and maybe switch to ceramic, glass, or metal bowls if you're using plastic ones right now.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hiro Protagonist posted:

My girl just doesn't seem to like catnip; she responds by running catnipped stuff for maybe five minutes, but that's all we get. Because of this, we feel we're having trouble getting her to play with her toys (long fleece( I think) strand on stick, mouse on cord on stick, big rat plushy). I'm starting to think she needs new toys, and maybe a cat perch, despite her general ground cat status. Does anyone have any suggested cat toys? Something she could use while I'm in class and my fiancée is at work would be great, but other stuff to play with her is important too. And if she only scratches carpet, not furniture, is a scratching post worth it? It seems like just another thing she'd ignore.

Cats can only respond to catnip for fifteen minutes at most before they become temporarily desensitized, so five doesn't seem too unusual.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Boopcat the kidney creature feels well enough to cuddle and not hide all day. :toot:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Took Tuna to the park today! Didn't get any pictures, sadly, but he did have a friendly meeting with a dog and chase a squirrel, so I'm going to chalk this up as a success. :toot:

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Anyone have experience of a cat giving birth to a litter of one kitten? My cat popped one lonely ginger soul out last night just after I left for work for the week and apparently that was that.

The kitten seems healthy and apparently nice and big, It's feeding regularly but the mother does seem to be out of the nest a bit more thatn we would have hoped which is a bit of a concern as I just read single kittens are more likley to be abandoned.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jellybean realized almost two months after being brought in that she's capable of sleeping in Domino's spot on top of the DVD cabinet. Of course that is going over as well as could be expected since that's his spot and how dare she sleep there.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tortuga posted:

Anyone have experience of a cat giving birth to a litter of one kitten? My cat popped one lonely ginger soul out last night just after I left for work for the week and apparently that was that.

The kitten seems healthy and apparently nice and big, It's feeding regularly but the mother does seem to be out of the nest a bit more thatn we would have hoped which is a bit of a concern as I just read single kittens are more likley to be abandoned.

I have absolutely nothing useful to tell you but SINGLE KITTENS ARE THE CUTEST loving THING :kimchi:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mister Adequate posted:

I have absolutely nothing useful to tell you but SINGLE KITTENS ARE THE CUTEST loving THING :kimchi:

Counterpoint multitudes of kittens. I normally hate going with my girlfriend to get her hair done but right now her cousin the hair stylist has ten kittens at her house because both her and her boyfriend are irresponsible pet owners and I want to pet them all.

Just cover me in kittens. Fluffy, pointy, nibbling, meowing kittens.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Hey I need some advice. It's too late at night to call the humane society here.

There's a young, neutered male cat in my apartment complex. I have talked to the owner once and he seemed like a nice dude for the ten second convo we had.

However, his cat is ALWAYS outside. He has no collar. He is absolutely COVERED in fleas and he is the sweetest boy. He looks well fed and isn't dehydrated so he is getting food/water.

I want to confront the neighbor and tell him he needs to flea med his goddamn precious kitty, but he hasn't been home in a few days (Spring break). This is the second time the neighbor has left town and his cat is left outside and I am now about 89% sure that when he goes out of town, he leaves this cat outside instead of having someone come and look after him. The mind boggles.

What should I do? I don't want to hysterically grab this cat and take it to the humane society, but I am on the verge. My instinct tells me to steal the gently caress out of him but I know it's wrong and also I already have two cats, and one of them would MURDER this little cat.

I am really torn on what to do. Anyone ever have a similar situation? What did you do?

Extra info if it helps: I live in Cali. I know the animal cruelty laws. Technically, as long as the cat has food, water, and a comfortable sleeping place the neighbor is within his rights to leave his cat covered in loving fleas, outside, rain or shine. gently caress you California.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

failing forward posted:

Hey I need some advice. It's too late at night to call the humane society here.

There's a young, neutered male cat in my apartment complex. I have talked to the owner once and he seemed like a nice dude for the ten second convo we had.

However, his cat is ALWAYS outside. He has no collar. He is absolutely COVERED in fleas and he is the sweetest boy. He looks well fed and isn't dehydrated so he is getting food/water.

I want to confront the neighbor and tell him he needs to flea med his goddamn precious kitty, but he hasn't been home in a few days (Spring break). This is the second time the neighbor has left town and his cat is left outside and I am now about 89% sure that when he goes out of town, he leaves this cat outside instead of having someone come and look after him. The mind boggles.

What should I do? I don't want to hysterically grab this cat and take it to the humane society, but I am on the verge. My instinct tells me to steal the gently caress out of him but I know it's wrong and also I already have two cats, and one of them would MURDER this little cat.

I am really torn on what to do. Anyone ever have a similar situation? What did you do?

Extra info if it helps: I live in Cali. I know the animal cruelty laws. Technically, as long as the cat has food, water, and a comfortable sleeping place the neighbor is within his rights to leave his cat covered in loving fleas, outside, rain or shine. gently caress you California.

get some advantage yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

ADV does not work on either of my cats, I don't think it would work on him. I did consider trying it, but if his owner DID bother to med him I could double dose him and he's not a full grown cat. Can't that hurt him?

I am going to call Miranda Rescue tomorrow for sure. I don't care if it isn't considered cruelty. It's not fair to the animal.