Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Redacting the email, phone number, and right-hand student's first name might have been cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
Still catching up with the thread but it appears no one has brought up the HENRY meme or any recent examples. When that day comes may I suggest this new(?) emoticon.
:thermidor:

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

ohgodwhat posted:

I know a theoretical physicist who clears over half a million a year in royalties from his textbooks. Clearly everyone should publish physics 101 textbooks. Very GWM.

Writing a textbook that catches on and becomes the industry standard is unsurprisingly lucrative as gently caress. Dude who wrote a major calculus textbook built a 23 million dollar home in Rosedale with the dough.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/02/04/the_house_that_math_built.html

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Austin S posted:

Still catching up with the thread but it appears no one has brought up the HENRY meme or any recent examples. When that day comes may I suggest this new(?) emoticon.
:thermidor:
That emoticon is there because some dude in games pitched his (bad-seeming) indie game called thermidor in games and it was an anime game about the french revolution. For some reason there weren't going to be any guillotines in the game despite the sentence and so the whole thread was about how he should add guillotines.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

Sounds like your company is scumming titles to sound important more than anything. At my last job I was a ~systems analyst~ because we needed to sound cool and great to a client. Then I pointed out that generally systems analysts make 4-5 times what I was making and magically I wasn't one anymore :iiam:

e: Does your company happen to be a bank, because I know banks do that all the time. A bunch of our clients were banks and I had to wrangle databases full of employee information fairly often and it seems like every drat bank had 500 "Vice President"s because if your account is being handled by the ~vice president~ you must be super important!!!

Nah it's just a ten-person company and someone had to do it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krispy Kareem posted:

He can like still go back to school and take that final semester after his untreated mental illness gets treated, right?

I've known so many people who can't stand being anything but their own boss and they are almost all failures. A friend of mine lost his home and business and almost destroyed his family trying to be his own boss. Now that he's just another cog in the corporate wheel everyone is much happier, although ignoring his daughters for 10 years has had the expected effect on their behavior.

I love being a faceless entity. Corporate America, cover me with your darkness.

http://www.theonion.com/article/man-leaves-position-he-would-kill-3-years-now-purs-55359

That guy, IRL.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I dunno... being upper middle class kind of owns, aspiring to that is at least realistic.

Go in the tech field...developer, IT, engineering, whatever, doesn't matter. It will set you for life and you can coast off of that.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've known so many people who can't stand being anything but their own boss and they are almost all failures.
Real leaders can accept being led.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm looking forward to that kid's Kickstarter.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

John Smith posted:

Real leaders can accept being led.

God I love your posts :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

I'm looking forward to that kid's Kickstarter.

Obviously it'll be an Indiegogo or Gofundme

They let you keep the money even if you fail :downs:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I had to make an adjustment.

LLCoolJD posted:

I am on the cusp of taking Silicon Valley by storm.

If you have any doubts, read this letter I sent my mommy and daddy.
Have some more single sentence paragraphs.

Make it harder to read.

Just make it insufferable.

Learn this one trick to make eyes roll everywhere.

Professors hate it!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You're all wrong.

It will be Patreon.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just remembered something, didn't the CEO of Theranos (the failing blood test company that was shown to be dangerously fraudulent with loving *medical test records*) have some quote that was like "If you have a plan B, you've already admitted you're going to fail" :allears:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I feel like anyone who wants to own their own business should be forced to binge-watch Kitchen Nightmares and similar shows for a week straight. Just days and days of unprepared people on the brink of losing everything they have because they decided to open their own business despite having no idea how to run it.

I figure there are three outcomes: they change their mind, they work their asses off planning out their business model, or they just go "I'm going to do it right, not like those failures" and proceed to fail anyway.

I know I never want to have my own business.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I feel like anyone who wants to own their own business should be forced to binge-watch Kitchen Nightmares and similar shows for a week straight. Just days and days of unprepared people on the brink of losing everything they have because they decided to open their own business despite having no idea how to run it.

I figure there are three outcomes: they change their mind, they work their asses off planning out their business model, or they just go "I'm going to do it right, not like those failures" and proceed to fail anyway.

I'll never understand how so many people get the insane idea of starting their own restaurant but have absolutely no clue how to do it. Like it's a really big badge of honor to tell other people you have a restaurant :smug:?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

I just remembered something, didn't the CEO of Theranos (the failing blood test company that was shown to be dangerously fraudulent with loving *medical test records*) have some quote that was like "If you have a plan B, you've already admitted you're going to fail" :allears:

I wonder what her plan b for not being allowed to do science ever again is?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BraveUlysses posted:

I'll never understand how so many people get the insane idea of starting their own restaurant but have absolutely no clue how to do it. Like it's a really big badge of honor to tell other people you have a restaurant :smug:?

They're understandably attracted to the high profit margins and great work/life balance :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

I wonder what her plan b for not being allowed to do science ever again is?

Gonna go with: "Already be wealthy and have plenty of inherited bucks to fall back on."

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've known so many people who can't stand being anything but their own boss and they are almost all failures.

In most situations, "can't stand being anything but my own boss" means they are terminally difficult to work with and throw fits when things don't go 100% their way.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Obviously it'll be an Indiegogo or Gofundme

They let you keep the money even if you fail :downs:

I wonder what the project risks will be. "I could be too successful!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

I wonder what the project risks will be. "I could be too successful!"

My absolute favorite kickstarter "risk and challenge" is when they put "we might not reach our kickstarter goal!!!"

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Being head honcho is great while everything is going right but not so much when things go wrong. I don't think many of the self proclaimed future CEO college kids consider the latter possibility.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My dad bought a bar (from his screwed-up brother who was truly out of his depth) without ever having worked in the service industry, and he kept it running for forty years.

Then the experienced people who bought it from him ran it into the ground in less than one. (BWM: firing the popular longtime bartenders to bring in hot chicks.)

And I will never own my own business either, because the stars will never align the same way and because I am nowhere near as smart as my dad was.

epenthesis fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 22, 2017

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Sundae posted:

Gonna go with: "Already be wealthy and have plenty of inherited bucks to fall back on an attractive woman with an insatiable appetite for media attention and no sense of human decency, operating in a culture where failure at high levels is only rewarded with more money and power."

FTFY

epenthesis fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 22, 2017

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Relatedly, we just had one of our engineers leave our company on somewhat bad terms because he wanted to go start a solo contracting/consulting business very similar to our own. He even initially wanted to work out an arrangement where he could work for our customer as a solo contractor. That got squashed real quick and put a real negative spin on the whole thing.

He was a smart enough guy in his specific fields on engineering, but was always a little bit difficult to work with due to his ego and was pretty bad at writing down the things in his head for others to understand. But this whole thing mostly boiled down to him not realizing that there's a lot more that goes in to the billable rate charged to client than his own billed engineering hours. I don't know all the nitty-gritty details, but this is a pretty senior guy presumably making in the ballpark of 150k/yr with good benefits who was bitter that the company was billing him out at $150-200/hr and he was only getting paid the "hourly rate" of $70-75/hr.

When asked about what he plans to do about accounting, finance, invoicing, legal/contracts, sales, auditing/compliance, project management, etc., etc., he just kind of shrugged like "whatever that all can't be that hard or take up much time".

He'll be in for a rude awakening as "CEO".

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It's really not that hard. Took me an hour to set up an LLC and biz checking account and start loving around with sample invoicing on whatever software looked most promising. Contracts take less time than that. But yeah you probably shouldn't plan on stealing your current employer's clients, at least not in your first year.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Guinness posted:

Relatedly, we just had one of our engineers leave our company on somewhat bad terms because he wanted to go start a solo contracting/consulting business very similar to our own. He even initially wanted to work out an arrangement where he could work for our customer as a solo contractor. That got squashed real quick and put a real negative spin on the whole thing.

He was a smart enough guy in his specific fields on engineering, but was always a little bit difficult to work with due to his ego and was pretty bad at writing down the things in his head for others to understand. But this whole thing mostly boiled down to him not realizing that there's a lot more that goes in to the billable rate charged to client than his own billed engineering hours. I don't know all the nitty-gritty details, but this is a pretty senior guy presumably making in the ballpark of 150k/yr with good benefits who was bitter that the company was billing him out at $150-200/hr and he was only getting paid the "hourly rate" of $70-75/hr.

When asked about what he plans to do about accounting, finance, invoicing, legal/contracts, sales, auditing/compliance, project management, etc., etc., he just kind of shrugged like "whatever that all can't be that hard or take up much time".

He'll be in for a rude awakening as "CEO".
Plenty of people do this successfully, it's not crazy or anything. A talented programmer should be collecting more than 1/3 of their billable rate. He can probably still contract for your customer in California since they won't enforce non-competes.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Still, the self-employment tax alone will eat up a good chunk of that difference. Not understanding the difference between W-2 and 1099 income can be very BWM.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sure but presumably the $150k was also pre-tax, it's still apples-to-apples a huge difference. (He is gonna have to pay both sides of the payroll tax now.) Obviously there are a lot of costs that you don't have as a W-2 employee, all those ancillary tasks like legal paperwork and benefits and all that are gonna draw it down, but it's definitely still a good move *if* you can manage all that.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Guinness posted:

In most situations, "can't stand being anything but my own boss" means they are terminally difficult to work with and throw fits when things don't go 100% their way.

Sigh. This is my brother in law. Actually an amazing programmer and creamed it in his 20s, but somewhere along the way decided that it was intolerable to work for anyone but himself, and spurned paid employment. He wears permanent blinkers and has a towering fortress of self belief and confidence that he knows best.

He's in his mid 40s now and has spent the last 5 years living with his parents, getting an allowance and failing to do anything even mildly profitable. His parents want their house back but don't know how to even start talking about it. They're also totally broke and can't really afford to keep supporting him.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Plenty of people do this successfully, it's not crazy or anything. A talented programmer should be collecting more than 1/3 of their billable rate. He can probably still contract for your customer in California since they won't enforce non-competes.

It's not that I think it's a crazy idea on its own, it's that this guy I don't think has really thought it all through. He's not a great people person, and obviously does not understand the value that other people he works with provide, especially if they are not engineers themselves.

By starting his own business he no longer gets to play the "I'm just an engineer, that other stuff isn't my job" card. But that other stuff is pretty important if you want to have a functioning company, even as a company of one person.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tamarillo posted:

Sigh. This is my brother in law. Actually an amazing programmer and creamed it in his 20s, but somewhere along the way decided that it was intolerable to work for anyone but himself, and spurned paid employment. He wears permanent blinkers and has a towering fortress of self belief and confidence that he knows best.

He's in his mid 40s now and has spent the last 5 years living with his parents, getting an allowance and failing to do anything even mildly profitable. His parents want their house back but don't know how to even start talking about it. They're also totally broke and can't really afford to keep supporting him.

You should send him that letter that the UMD "valedictorian" wrote to him. Maybe it will inspire him to move out and achieve the massive success just waiting for him. He could even re-use the same "this is why I'm moving out, in-laws" letter complete with special thanks to Obama.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/6cq1eu/advice_on_selling_stock_without_license/ posted:

Advice on selling stock without license. (self.financialindependence)

I need some serious advice. I am a college student and was recently brought on as the summer intern at AmericaTowne, Inc. My job is sales, and my boss wants me to sell stock for a company called ATI Modular Technology, however I have no licenses whatsoever. The stock symbol is GREI, because we acquired a company called Global Recycle Energy and are waiting on the ticker symbol to change https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GREI?p=GREI . He says that until it changes, the company cannot be publicly traded and can only be privately sold. He says we are selling it at 85% of the actual price because those who buy it cannot sell it until the symbol change goes through. For the last week I had been soliciting friends and family to invest and even made some calls to financial advisors, until one informed me this is illegal. I talked to some people on reddit and took my concerns to my supervisor. He said that because he is the owner of the company for which I am selling stock,he has the right to have me sell stock under him. He did not seem concerned when I mentioned calling the SEC, said that we are a public company under the SEC, and everything we do is legal. I have no knowledge on this topic and don't know who to believe. Is there any way this is legal? If not, what specific laws can I bring to him or what specific questions should I ask him? I called the SEC but there was no response and am waiting on a call back. I am also currently at my work office so will probably not be able to talk to them until after. People on reddit are just telling me to leave but it is not that simple because I direly need the money from this job for rent. I am not ignoring this advice, however, as I have scheduled some interviews. Any advice is welcome, thank you so much.

Yes this guy is shilling a stock on the pink sheets to his friends and family.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
It's all quite funny because the people who're most likely to do really well as a self-employed people are the ones who perform really well as "regular" paid employees. They're just likable people that are multiskilled and really good networkers who have a knack for exploring and learning things entirely on their own initiative. And the slackers who proudly drop out of school because "Bill Gates did and look at him, now" are always the first to fail as entrepreneurs because they usually possess none of those traits. If you can't stand to kiss the customer's rear end because you have "pride" in your work, boy are you in for a shitshow when you start managing your own paying clients while your own personal reputation is on the line.

canyoneer posted:

There are a lot of funny bits in there, but I thought the best part was that he thinks by being a college dropout, he's destined to be the next Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg.
And then he says that during his college experience, he never went to class but just stayed home and read the books instead.

Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard because he and (childhood friend & fellow student) Paul Allen had already started blowing people's minds with great software, and wanted to start getting paid for it. (Side note, met Steve Ballmer at Harvard too)
Zuckerberg dropped out because he got rich over the summer with his company (made of trusted peers he met at Harvard), so he kept rolling with it.

He didn't go to class. And he doesn't have a product he's already getting rich off of.
Way to miss the point, kid.
He is the same kind of person who'd call himself "CEO" of his own company of one person. :rolleye:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 22, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

The guy I mentioned, got fired from an architectural firm for making too big a stink over the software they were using. So yeah. Exactly what you said.

My brother-in-law started his own construction business with his wife's personal injury settlement and lost everything in like six months. You have to really work to go out of business that fast.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
In a shocking twist, an MLM is run by assholes: LuLaRoe losing consultants

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wanna drop this in the local mom's facebook group like a grenade.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

No Butt Stuff posted:

Wanna drop this in the local mom's facebook group like a grenade.

Do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨